HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

January Bulletin   12/31/2017

January's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, the upcoming FROGS, some special awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
Sign in to follow this  
MuggleMaybe

HPFT Cookbook

I like food. 

I mean, I know food is also challenging at times. But it sure is delicious! (And also necessary for our survival, etc. etc.)

Over the past year, I've been cooking a bit more - and I have come to really love trying new recipes. It's fun to have a lot of variety in what I eat, and very fun to have the satisfaction of successfully making something.  

Our HPFT community is so international and awesome, I think it would be fantastic for us to have a place to share favorite recipes. While you may have a lot of these, the idea is to share either the ones you return to time and time again, or those new discoveries that you want to cook all weekend and then gleefully serve to everyone you meet, including total strangers. :twothumbsup: (No? Just me?)

Anyway, you get my point :P

Before we start, here are some resources for converting between metric, Imperial, and US cooking measurements: +handy charts  // +handy calculators

When you share a recipe, also copy and paste the recipe index from the previous post, and add your recipe (with the link, if there is one). That way, we can always see and use all the wonderful recipes without lots of searching. Here's the format for the index:

Recipe Name/Link  (dietary needs met)

I'll start us off...

INDEX

1. Vegetarian Shepard's Pie  (V, Vg, $)

V = Vegetarian / Vg = Vegan  / GF = Gluten Free / $ = Budget friendly

+Vegetarian Shepard's Pie, via Budget Bytes

Vegetarian-Shepherds-Pie-text.jpg

There are a lot of things I love about this recipe. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do try not to eat meat with every meal. Unfortunately, I am a crazy person and don't really care for bread or pasta, so it can be hard to find vegetarian options that keep me full. This one definitely does the trick! It also feels like great comfort food to eat, while actually being pretty healthy. 

Since it's easy to access online, i'm not going to write it all out, but I have some tips.

Tips:
- I always include the lentils. I can't really imagine the recipe without them and don't understand why they're listed as optional :P 
- Keep in mind, you will need to prepare or buy mashed potatoes before you start (having leftover ones on hand is ideal)
- For ^this reason, I usually use canned lentils to save time; they work fine (I promise! I have also used dried and tasted little, if any, difference)
- I use chicken broth rather than vegetable broth, because I find it more flavorful. Obviously, I realize this makes it not vegetarian
- While it's good either way, it's nummier with cremini mushrooms than button mushrooms, imo

Now, share your recipes, please, and let's get cooking!    :bouncing:

Edited by MuggleMaybe
  • Like 6

Oh, a food thread! That's a great idea, Renee! :wub: 

Warning... I'm going to be very long and rambly, just for a change... (putting the useless, rambly introduction in spoiler, so you can just skip it)

Spoiler

Okay, so... one thing I'm quite proud of is my risotti... I'm a fan of primi piatti (literally first dishes, which basically means pasta, rice, soups and similar things) rather than secondi (second dishes, namely meat or fish) and that can be a bit of an issue when you are celiac... <_< So risotto is great because it has the triple advantage of being:

1. gluten free
  2. absolutely delicious
  3. super versatile, in the sense that you can make it with almost anything you can think of, for example:
    1. mushrooms
    2. gorgonzola or taleggio cheese and nuts
    3. gorgonzola or taleggio cheese and pears
    4. seafood
    5. squid ink
    6. chicory
    7. red wine
    8. pumpkin and speck
    9. strawberries (yes, that too... :P)

The recipe I'm going to share is one of the easiest and most basic, but also one of my favourites: risotto alla milanese (with saffron). It's my personal version, so I don't know how precise or traditional it is... :couch: Also, I don't know if my cooking English is very good... :$

INDEX

1. Vegetarian Shepard's Pie  (V, Vg, $)

2. Risotto alla milanese (V, GF)

V = Vegetarian / Vg = Vegan  / GF = Gluten Free / $ = Budget friendly

RISOTTO ALLA MILANESE

Ingredients for 4 people: Rice 300 gr, Saffron 1 satchel (is that right?), Onion 1, Broth 1 l, White Wine, Olive Oil, Butter, Parmesan cheese q.s.

First of all, the soffritto: cut the onion finely, put a little oil and butter (actually, traditionally it's just butter, but my Mum used to mix them... I guess it remains a bit less heavy... I also guess you could potentially use only oil, but I don't think I would really approve of that... :P) in a large pan and once the butter is melted add the onion and let it fry at a slow fire until it gets soft.

At this point you can add the rice. Make it toast for a couple of minutes, then pour a drop (or a little bit more) of wine on it and turn up the heat to make it evaporate.

Lower the fire again and start adding the broth. The rice must always be covered with broth, but just the quantity necessary to cover it. Keep stirring to make sure that the rice doesn't stick to the pan and keep adding broth anytime the rice gets dry.

Around the middle of the cooking (the rice normally requires around 15 minutes, anyway you can follow the cooking time on the package :P) add half of the saffron. The other half can be added when the rice is almost cooked.

You can choose the level of cooked-ness that you prefer, but traditionally the rice should be al dente (literally, at the tooth), it has to stay a bit hard... try not to overcook it... also, it should be all'onda (literally, at the wave),  not too wet, but not completely dry either, the broth should make a sort of cream.

Once the rice is cooked, turn the heat off, add another bit of butter and the parmesan, stir to make everything well mixed and then cover it with a lid and let it rest for a couple of minutes.

Your risotto is ready to be eaten! (Okay, now I'm hungry...)

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this  

UA-79258518-1