HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

February Bulletin   01/31/2018

February's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, our secret cupid event, our monthly awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
    • abhorsen.

2018 FROGS Winners   02/10/2018

We've announced the winners of our 2018 FROGS Winners! You can check out the livestream +here and the awards post on the forums +here!

I've been putting off doing this for over a year now, but I decided it's time. So, hello! I'm Renee AKA MuggleMaybe. Which you probably already know because why else would you come here? And also MugleMaybe is the name of the thread. Moving on... :P

I write only original fiction and HP fanfic. Not much OF over the past few years, though. 

So, as far as what I'm working on goes--

POSTED WIPs

• Beyond Repair 
    This is my primary multi-chapter fic. I think most people maybe know at this point, simply because I've been working on it so slowly, but it's about the changing relationship between Lily and Petunia over the course of Lily's life. I have it about half written at the moment, and all the chapters are planned. There will be 30 chapters in total.
  • Elaborate Lives (M)
    This is a 7-chapter fic about Helena Ravenclaw's backstory, based on the opera Aida. It's all planned, but barely written. I really need to work on it, it's been ages. :ninja:
  • Boyz II Marauders
    Another barely written story. I have absolutely no idea where it's going, but it's a WolfStar Muggle boyband AU. So. I feel like that pretty much sums it up? haha

UNPOSTED WIPs

• Divine Chaos
    A drama in which Rose Weasley is a gifted Seer, argues with her mum a lot, and does very stupid things... for example, vigilante justice. 
  • Some Kind of Hero
    James Sirius/Muggle OC novel where he's a quidditch player and she's a journalist. 
  • [Untitled]
    I'm also in the planning stages of a novel that *might* be OF, about two art students (m/f unfortunately haha) figuring out how to adult, and also falling in love.

And I have one shots, too. My AP is +here

If you read this, bless you, I don't know what you were thinking. ;) But thank you!

Ask away! 

Edited by MuggleMaybe

HI RENEE :hug:

I come bearing questions:

1. You said that for Beyond Repair and Elaborate Lives, you have the entire stories planned out. Is this your normal process? Do you create outlines or just rambly plot summaries? How does this work for you? (If you can't tell, I'm fishing desperately for advice :P )
  2. Will there be a chapter in Beyond Repair about that one heartbreaking scene in the books when the Dursleys are evacuating for their safety, and Petunia just sort of looks at Harry for a little while, before leaving? Because if you write that scene, with your wonderfully characterized Petunia, I will spontaneously combust. (In the best way possible.)
  3. Elaborate Lives sounds so interesting! Are you a classical music aficionado as well? xD But I'm itching for more details on Helena's story (if you're willing to provide it), and I want to know how the canon events provided to us about her life will tie into the plotline of the opera.
  4. Also your unposted WIPs are making me so excited already, and I haven't even read a word of it lol. I love James II/Muggle fics, so I'm super ready for that one. When you say that she's a journalist, do you mean that she relentlessly tries to solve the mystery of James' magic? Do you have any more tidbits to offer about this fic?
  5. ALSO ROSE AND VIGILANTE JUSTICE. THIS IS NEITHER CONSTRUCTIVE NOR IS IT A QUESTION BUT I JUST WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOUR IDEAS SPEAK TO MY SOUL.

Okay I'm done now.

:wub: 

• Like 1

Hi, beautiful! :wub:

I'm actually just jumping in to say hello and how much I love you and all your ideas (you know already, of course, but I thought I'd make it "official" :P). I will surely come back some other day with a long list of questions for you...

Actually, I do have one question: when are you going to post Some Kind of Hero? Cause I've been curious about that one for a while... :whistling:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

HI RENEE :hug:

I come bearing questions:

1. You said that for Beyond Repair and Elaborate Lives, you have the entire stories planned out. Is this your normal process? Do you create outlines or just rambly plot summaries? How does this work for you? (If you can't tell, I'm fishing desperately for advice :P )
  2. Will there be a chapter in Beyond Repair about that one heartbreaking scene in the books when the Dursleys are evacuating for their safety, and Petunia just sort of looks at Harry for a little while, before leaving? Because if you write that scene, with your wonderfully characterized Petunia, I will spontaneously combust. (In the best way possible.)
  3. Elaborate Lives sounds so interesting! Are you a classical music aficionado as well? xD But I'm itching for more details on Helena's story (if you're willing to provide it), and I want to know how the canon events provided to us about her life will tie into the plotline of the opera.
  4. Also your unposted WIPs are making me so excited already, and I haven't even read a word of it lol. I love James II/Muggle fics, so I'm super ready for that one. When you say that she's a journalist, do you mean that she relentlessly tries to solve the mystery of James' magic? Do you have any more tidbits to offer about this fic?
  5. ALSO ROSE AND VIGILANTE JUSTICE. THIS IS NEITHER CONSTRUCTIVE NOR IS IT A QUESTION BUT I JUST WANT TO LET YOU KNOW THAT YOUR IDEAS SPEAK TO MY SOUL.

Okay I'm done now.

:wub: 

Eva, hello! :wub:

1. Beyond Repair was easy to plot because it's not exactly a cohesive narrative, but more like a collection of one shots. It was the first story I really planned. I didn't used to plan very much, but I've found it works better for me to have at least a basic chapter outline, so I try to do that now. I usually figure out the key points, and then flesh out the summary from there, and then arrange that into chapters. I'm getting better at it. If you ever want to talk out a plot for something, you're very welcome to DM me :) 

2. I did not have a chapter planned for that moment. But it's such a good idea and maybe I will steal it. :D (thank you!)  I do have a chapter planned for after Harry leaves, but it takes place a little later on.

3. Sad to say, I am not a classical music aficionado. I am a fan of Broadway, though, and the musical of Aida is one of my favorites. That's what inspired me to use the story. The title also comes from the name of a song in the show. As far as the plot.... much drama hahaha

4. Some Kind of Hero is a WIP I've struggled with, which is why it isn't posted yet. I keep restarting it and changing the OC's personality and stuff. One thing that won't change is that it starts with James accidentally rescuing Marisol (the OC) while on his broomstick, not realizing she's a Muggle. He's spotted by the press and thought to be a superhero, while she falls head first into the wizarding world. But I really can't tell you much more because it keeps changing :P 

5. Aww hahahaha. love you <3 

Thank you so much for the questions, dear! :hug:

17 hours ago, Felpata_Lupin said:

Hi, beautiful! :wub:

I'm actually just jumping in to say hello and how much I love you and all your ideas (you know already, of course, but I thought I'd make it "official" :P). I will surely come back some other day with a long list of questions for you...

Actually, I do have one question: when are you going to post Some Kind of Hero? Cause I've been curious about that one for a while... :whistling:

Hello sweetie! Thank you for stopping by. :hug:  I love you back! Sad to say, Some Kind of Hero will probably be the last of these stories to be posted because it's giving me the most trouble. Sorry :(  But I will try hard to get to it sooner for you! xoxo

• Like 1

RENEE OMG YAYAYAY I'M SO HAPPY TO SEE THIS THREAD AND ANNOY ENTERTAIN YOU WITH THESE QUESTIONS! :wub:  :hug: 

1. Did you know that you are the best. (I am aware that this is not phrased as a question, because there is no question about it)

2. As you are probably aware, Goodbye, Love, Goodbye is one of the best pieces of fanfiction that ever existed. How long did it take you to write it, with all the many ways the story can be interpreted and read? What was the writing process like?

3. When do you think we can expect to see more of the masterpiece that is Elaborate Lives?

4. Do you dislike Petunia as a character, or has writing Beyond Repair given you an appreciation for her (or both)?

5. What is your favorite(s) of your own fics and why?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stella Blue said:

Goodbye, Love, Goodbye is one of the best pieces of fanfiction that ever existed.

THIS!!! THIS!!! SO MUCH THIS!!! :wub:

Erm... sorry for the intrusion... :couch:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stella Blue said:

RENEE OMG YAYAYAY I'M SO HAPPY TO SEE THIS THREAD AND ANNOY ENTERTAIN YOU WITH THESE QUESTIONS! :wub:  :hug: 

1. Did you know that you are the best. (I am aware that this is not phrased as a question, because there is no question about it)

2. As you are probably aware, Goodbye, Love, Goodbye is one of the best pieces of fanfiction that ever existed. How long did it take you to write it, with all the many ways the story can be interpreted and read? What was the writing process like?

3. When do you think we can expect to see more of the masterpiece that is Elaborate Lives?

4. Do you dislike Petunia as a character, or has writing Beyond Repair given you an appreciation for her (or both)?

5. What is your favorite(s) of your own fics and why?

HELLO! Thank you so much for questions! (You never annoy me.)

1. This made me laugh so much, and you're the sweetest... even if I think you're mistaken ;) 

2. STAHP IT, you're being too nice to me! I can't remember how long that piece took, to be honest. I think I wrote it over the course of 4 or 5 days, a little bit at a time? I originally wanted to write a back and forth piece where in one direction Remus is transforming to a werewolf, and in the other he's transforming back to a human, but I couldn't get it to work. That was frustrating. So them I let go of that and made it very fluid and emotionally driven, because I just couldn't figure out any other way to do it. And that was easier. I focused in VERY close to each word in this story, and I had to think about how things would sound in reverse and pause between lines and stuff. It was a fun (and challenging) puzzle, sort of. For the next story I wrote after this, I remember I kept pausing to read it backwards and then remembering I didn't need to do that anymore :P 

3. Ummmmmm :couch: Maybe within 6 weeks? That's an optimistic estimate, but I have been wanting to be a little more productive with writing, so it's not impossible. And your interested (and flattery lol) is motivating, so we'll see.

4. Definitely both. I don't like how JKR portrays her very much because I think it's kind of inconsistent, and that frustrates me. We see some nuance to her in the moment when she tells Vernon Harry is going to stay, after reading Dumbledore's letter, and that nuance makes no sense next to her treatment of Harry throughout his life. I'd rather look at the nuance... But I can't like someone who would abuse and neglect a child the way she does. So I dislike her, and I HATE her actions toward Harry, but I also relate to her. I think that her reactions to Lily (not including child abuse here) are pretty natural, even if they aren't likable, and I think it's easy to hate her when in reality many (maybe most) people would have had similar emotions about a sister like Lily. And I think she struggles with self-worth as a child and teenager, which is probably what leads her to Vernon. And that's something I definitely empathize with.

5. I really love Skewed Toward Truth because it reflects my own experience in a way none of my other stories do, so I guess I'll go with that one.

Thank you for asking excellent questions! Please stop by anytime to "annoy" me! :hug:

p.s. awww, @Felpata_Lupin :hug:

• Like 2

Hi Renee! I come bearing some questions from your Secret Cupid Blue!

1. You’re a FROGS winner now, how do you feel? Are you surprised by the reaction to your stories?
  2. What is your favourite thing about being a Hufflepuff? And who is your favourite Hufflepuff character in the books?
  3. Your idea for Divine Chaos sounds amazing! How would you describe your version of Rose in this story?
  4. Who are your favourite same sex pairings to read within HP fandom? Can you recommend me a fic?
  5. Tell us a little more about your *maybe* OF? Where did the basic idea for that come from? How far into the planning are you?

UA-79258518-1