HPFanficTalk
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

February Bulletin   01/31/2018

February's bulletin is up! It includes information about recent staff/prefect bumps, our secret cupid event, our monthly awards, and more! You can check it out +here.
    • abhorsen.

2018 FROGS Winners   02/10/2018

We've announced the winners of our 2018 FROGS Winners! You can check out the livestream +here and the awards post on the forums +here!
LadyL8

Winter Olympics!

dr5z4p.jpg.15ce20fd0a1abbf492a7a7e6234b9af0.jpg

Winter Olympics

As I’m sure many of you know, the 2018 Winter Olympics have just opened! :D  

I’m a big fan of the Winter Olympics and I was hoping I wouldn’t be the only one, because I absolutely love discussing it. Anyone else watch the Olympics? Did you see the opening ceremony? What did you think? And do you have any predictions for medals in the different sports? Or maybe predictions on how many medals your country will win?

I always watch cross-country skiing, biathlon, alpine skiing, nordic combined and figure skating (we don’t have any figure skaters in the Olympics, but I just love watching it). I know we’re aiming for 14 gold medals this year, but I don’t think we’ll get that many. I’m guessing maybe 8 gold medals, with several of them being in cross-country skiing. And I'm so excited to see who will be the surprise winners this year! :D 

Edited by LadyL8

figure skating is my thing!!! I'm actually subscribing now to watch all the events but my favs are couple that dance and women single. goshhhhhh can't wait!

I am probably going to forget watching or be asleep with half the things on that I want to see (mainly speed-skating because we ace that) due to all the nightshifts I'm having this month but I am excited!

I love the Olympics! I admittedly like the summer olympics better, but I love the winter olympics, too -  figure skating, especially. The opening ceremony will be on TV tonight in the US and I'm really excited to watch it! (Even if we're a little behind the times :P )

Shoma Uno did a great job so far and we hope Yuzuru Hanyu has recovered from the previous injury. :skiing:

• Like 1

I LOVE the Winter Olympics! :D:D

I mostly watch the skiing (alpine, ski jumping, cross-country, sometimes the biathlon), but I'm always super impressed by the figure skating. I might end up watching some of the speed skating this year, since Team GB have a big, big medal hope there (Elise Christie). Normally, since there are very few Brits competing, I end up supporting France just because of (admittedly distant) family connections, and all my endless visits there, etc. 

Gutted, though, since one of GB's hopes broke her wrist and her heel two days before the Olympics started, while training :/ 

One of our people is out too. Granted, he wasn't a candidate for any medals, but it's a shame because it was his first Olympics, he was like 17 or so and then he broke his shoulder during a training while there :(

But on another note - we did snatch 4 medals today! One in shorttrack and 3 on the 3000m speedskating for women!

I wish I could see more though. I always love to watch figure skating as well but I am literally asleep through all of it :(

Love the Olympic Games! I find myself watching competitions which I usually wouldn't, though my favourites are biathlon and ski jumping.

The opening ceremony was pretty impressive, even though I had to watch a re-run because I was working when it was on.

We got four medals today too! And our four snowboarders all qualified for the finals in slopestyle, so it's been a really good day for us! :D 

We got a silver medal in cross-country skiing, which wasn't bad at all but we had of course hoped for gold. And we have a friendly rivalry with our neighbors, Sweden, so we're not too happy about losing to them :P And then we also got a silver medal and bronze medal in ski jumping, and both winners were competing in the Olympics for the first time too, so that's really exciting for them :) 

We also got our first surprise medal today. An Olympics debutant won a silver medal in biathlon. She hadn't done very well in competitions this year/winter, so no one had expected she would take a medal. I don't think she even expected it herself, because she looked so confused when she was told she won the silver medal :P

I'm really excited about all the competitions tonight. We got a pretty good shot in snowboard (one of our snowboarders had one og the best scores in the qualifying round) and in alpine skiing I think, but I'm definitely gonna be watching the dance short program tonight :D 

And Kenny, the Japanese team is probably my favourite team (tied with Canada) and Yuzuru Hanyu is probably my favourite figure skater, so I'm really hoping you guys will win some figure skating medals :D 

Edited by LadyL8

During the Olympics, I always feel like it is super weird to be American. Our country has such a "top dog" mentality, and I'm not saying it's deserved or that I agree with it or anything. Definitely not! But it blows my mind to imagine knowing about every athlete one's country has competing and paying attention to all of that, because there are just so many Americans at the Olympics. It's so weird and I think a really different experience for Americans than for most other nationalities. (Except maybe Australians during the summer games.) /end rant. Sorry... sometimes I think about how weird it is that I was born into this life and not a different life and it kind of messes with my head :P

Also, because we are so much farther west, I actually haven't seen much and I really need to look up what happened that hasn't been televised here yet!

ANYWAYS, yay for all the winners and competitors from Norway and the Netherlands! And from everywhere! Their talent just amazes me. :wub:

Lotte - that ski jumping final was so nerve-wracking! I gotta admit, I was gutted for Simone Amman that he didn't get close to the medals, since he's just so famous, but I loved how happy he looked when he finished his final jump :P And those two Norwegians were amazing! Though for Andreas Wellinger it was such, such a good jump - such a well-deserved medal! 

Team GB haven't been too great - though we've yet to see Elise Christie's first finals, so we'll see :P But our snowboarders all crashed out of slopestyle and our two luge guys (one of whom, btw, according to the commentators, is actually amazing, it's just there's not enough funding in the sport in the UK for him to have good enough equipment) both missed out on the luge final. In the cross-country skiing, though, our guy Andrew Musgrave came so close to a medal! It was so close - he was second on the second-to-last lap and just got overtaken on the last :/ It's not his best event though, so fingers crossed for tomorrow :)

I'm so hoping italy is going to win bronze in the team event but the chances are slim... BUT! Marchei/Hotarek slayed me:wub:

UA-79258518-1