News Ticker

Alopex

:swordfight:~~ Fic Feud!! ~~:swordfight:

Welcome to Fic Feud!  Last year's Throw Down the Gauntlet was a very popular event, so we have brought you yet another exciting partner-based writing competition!

With your assigned partner, you must write a story between 2 and 4 chapters long by April 15.  Individually, you must contribute at least 1000 words.

(If you read that and felt intimidated and like this isn't the event for you, you can still submit a sentence (keep reading for details).  We also want some back-up writers, so if you're more of a "maybe" than a "taker" at the moment, consider signing up for that.)

Here is how it will work:  Stories must be posted on our archive with both you and your partner listed as an author.  Each chapter must be between 1000 and 4000 words in length and be based around 4 elements from at least 3 different categories.  The twist is that you will be assigning another group a sabotage (and receiving one yourself), to force or prevent choosing certain elements. 

For your reference, the five categories will be:

1. Sentence(s) to include - to be submitted by members; you can edit tenses/pronouns to make it fit your story
  2. Character(s) - any canon
  3. Genre(s) - from our archive, EXCEPT general and micro-fiction
  4. Inclusivity(ies) - from our archive
  5. Theme(s) - from our archive

We will list this out in more detail once the sentences are submitted, when we announce partners and who you will be sabotaging.  :thumbsup:

Obviously, you can go the easy route with picking elements that very easily fit together (e.g. questioning identity with genderfluid/genderqueer, marriage with romance, war with PTSD).  However, we don't want to see you stick to the easy route!  We challenge you to step outside the most obvious choices and blow us away with more creative combinations!  Creativity will be a component of your score, so don't give away those points by playing it safe.

A quick overview about points:  Points will be awarded two ways—for participation and placement/winning. The participation points will be given for every completed chapter, whereas placement will be determined by judging each story.

Annnnd the schedule:

March 1 - 8
Click here to fill out a form to submit a sentence participants may choose to include in their stories (you may only submit one).  You do NOT need to participate as a writer to submit a sentence!

March 1 - 8
If you would like to participate, reply to this topic to sign up. Remember, THIS IS NOT A SOLO ACTIVITY, so it is very important that you are able to FOLLOW THROUGH FOR YOUR PARTNER.  You can also sign up as a back-up writer.  These are the people we will be asking to help out should anyone have something come up and need to drop out of the competition.  Just reply to this topic saying you wish to be a back-up writer rather than a full participant.

March 10
Partners will be announced.  You will also learn which other pair you will get to sabotage.  You can start writing right away if you wish, but just remember that you may need to alter your plan depending on what sabotage you receive.

March 12
Sabotages are due.  If you don't post your sabotages in time, the group you are sabotaging can pick whatever elements they want without restriction.

March 15
Final decisions about your elements are due.  We do need you to post these up front because it's too easy to write something and pick what fits afterward.

April 15
Competition ends!

There is no sign-up form.  Just reply to this topic saying if you are a participant or a back-up writer.

• Like 1

I'm in as a participant.

• Like 2

Questions: how many sentences can you submit and will staff be excluded from participating?

Edited by Alexis Black
had another question ...

I'm in as a participant

• Like 1

Participant :ninja:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alexis Black said:

Questions: how many sentences can you submit and will staff be excluded from participating?

You can submit one sentence.

As for staff participation, they can choose another staffer as a partner and participate for fun. If any choose to do that, they will get participation points (every chapter will get its author participation points, same as all writing challenges), but staff stories will ABSOLUTELY NOT be eligible to win.

• Like 1

Thank you for answering my questions, Holly.

Participant

• Like 1

In as a back-up :) 

• Like 1

Backup writer here! :P

• Like 1

I'll be a participant. I need to get back into writing

• Like 1

Bumpety bump bump. You have 2 more days to sign up for this event and to submit sentences to include!

Guest Tanda
21 hours ago, NPE said:

I'll be a participant, if possible. Need to try writing again. :)

As familiar faces coming back and new faces joining, why don't we participate in?

I'll be a participant. :couch:

Sign ups are now CLOSED! Partners will be announced by 48 hours from now at the latest. 

If you wish to get on the list of backup writers any time between now and April 15, you can reply to this thread to sign up for that. :)

I have a couple questions!

- If not assigned an element that necessitates it, do stories need to be in the HP fandom?

- If we are assigned an element, does it need to be used in all chapters, or only one? I assume blocks would apply to all chapters

- Do we need to decide by March 15th how many chapters we will write? If we submit intended categories for more than two chapters, will we be penalized if we end up not completing those chapters after all?

- And I believe this is the case, but to clarify, elements cannot be claimed for more than one chapter, correct? So if we wrote 4 chapters we'd need 16 distinct elements?

5 hours ago, Dojh167 said:

I have a couple questions!

- If not assigned an element that necessitates it, do stories need to be in the HP fandom?

No, they do not need to be HP stories.

- If we are assigned an element, does it need to be used in all chapters, or only one? I assume blocks would apply to all chapters

It just needs to be used once.

- Do we need to decide by March 15th how many chapters we will write? If we submit intended categories for more than two chapters, will we be penalized if we end up not completing those chapters after all?

No, you do not need to decide how many chapters you will write, but you do need to plan for the minimum required two chapters. You can decide later if you want to write one or two more chapters. If you do plan to try writing additional chapters, go ahead and plan your elements out right away and post them. Otherwise, post them later. There won't be any penalty if you don't complete extra chapters. The benefit to extra chapters is that you will receive participation points for each chapter written. For judging/placement, each individual writer's score will be averaged so there will be an even playing field amongst teams regardless of the number of chapters written.

The reason we want you to turn in your elements for the two chapters up front is because writing a story and deciding afterward what elements fit it is easy. :P

- And I believe this is the case, but to clarify, elements cannot be claimed for more than one chapter, correct? So if we wrote 4 chapters we'd need 16 distinct elements?

That's correct.

Edited by Alopex
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1