Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.

Alopex
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dojh167 said:

I have a couple questions!

- If not assigned an element that necessitates it, do stories need to be in the HP fandom?

No, they do not need to be HP stories.

- If we are assigned an element, does it need to be used in all chapters, or only one? I assume blocks would apply to all chapters

It just needs to be used once.

- Do we need to decide by March 15th how many chapters we will write? If we submit intended categories for more than two chapters, will we be penalized if we end up not completing those chapters after all?

No, you do not need to decide how many chapters you will write, but you do need to plan for the minimum required two chapters. You can decide later if you want to write one or two more chapters. If you do plan to try writing additional chapters, go ahead and plan your elements out right away and post them. Otherwise, post them later. There won't be any penalty if you don't complete extra chapters. The benefit to extra chapters is that you will receive participation points for each chapter written. For judging/placement, each individual writer's score will be averaged so there will be an even playing field amongst teams regardless of the number of chapters written.

The reason we want you to turn in your elements for the two chapters up front is because writing a story and deciding afterward what elements fit it is easy. :P

- And I believe this is the case, but to clarify, elements cannot be claimed for more than one chapter, correct? So if we wrote 4 chapters we'd need 16 distinct elements?

That's correct.

Edited by Alopex
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recent Badges

just.a.willow.tree

I have a few questions about the sabotages:

1. If "Person of Color" is blocked, does this mean that characters of color cannot be mentioned at all as side/minor characters, or just that they may not be used as the main/central character?
  2. Since "Angst" is a fairly broad genre, can I ask for a general definition in case we accidentally end up writing an angsty scene without realizing it?
  3. And will we be penalized if we have elements of angst in our story, even if the focus is not primarily on the angsty aspect?
  • Thanks 1

Alopex
5 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I have a few questions about the sabotages:

1. If "Person of Color" is blocked, does this mean that characters of color cannot be mentioned at all as side/minor characters, or just that they may not be used as the main/central character?

PoC can be mentioned. Blocked elements cannot be the focus of your story. Just make sure that your chosen elements shine through more strongly than everything else.

1. Since "Angst" is a fairly broad genre, can I ask for a general definition in case we accidentally end up writing an angsty scene without realizing it?

My understanding of angst is basically OotP Harry. :P Sort of a story that's a little on the darker side with a moody character who goes through a lot emotionally or mentally. And there's lots of drama. Does that help?

1. And will we be penalized if we have elements of angst in our story, even if the focus is not primarily on the angsty aspect?

Erm, you may not be penalized per se. By that I mean you aren't going  to be disqualified or  have house points taken away. However, if all or many judges feel the angst comes through really strongly in comparison to the intended elements, then that will reflect in the "focus on elements" portion of your score being lower. I don't really think of that as a penalty, but more that you wouldn't get maximum points in that section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Recent Badges

pookha

For the sabotages, to be clear, if you are forced to use something, or not allowed to use some elements, then only one chapter needs those elements or can't use them, or both chapters must use them?

Alopex
11 minutes ago, pookha said:

For the sabotages, to be clear, if you are forced to use something, or not allowed to use some elements, then only one chapter needs those elements or can't use them, or both chapters must use them?

If you are blocked, you cannot use those elements at all in any chapter. If you are assigned an element, it must be used in one chapter. You don't have to use it in more than one. In fact, you can't, as you cannot double up elements. 

• Like 2

Recent Badges

pookha

Excellent! that's what I thought!

Pixileanin

Question:  If we plan on more than two chapters, do we have to announce our elements for a third chapter, or just the first two up front and that's it?

Alopex
1 minute ago, Pixileanin said:

Question:  If we plan on more than two chapters, do we have to announce our elements for a third chapter, or just the first two up front and that's it?

The first two up front, but if you have gotten additional chapters planned, please post those elements as soon as you decide them. Basically this is because we want you to write to the elements rather than choose elements afterward that fit. :)

Recent Badges

Unwritten Curse

If we can't double up on elements, does that mean we have to use different characters in each chapter? Or can we use the same characters, just change POV?

Does that also mean we can't use a genre twice? For example, if romance is the focus of the first chapter, are we forbidden from writing romance in the second chapter?

I'm suddenly concerned that making this story cohesive will be difficult.

Pixileanin
Posted (edited)

K. Thanks!

Also, seconding the question above in regards to characters.  Because... that'd be hard...

If we're doing a crossover in chapter 1, can we use the same character from the crossover, just make sure that the genre screams something different in the subsequent chapters?

Edited by Pixileanin

Alopex
8 minutes ago, Unwritten Curse said:

If we can't double up on elements, does that mean we have to use different characters in each chapter? Or can we use the same characters, just change POV?

Does that also mean we can't use a genre twice? For example, if romance is the focus of the first chapter, are we forbidden from writing romance in the second chapter?

I'm suddenly concerned that making this story cohesive will be difficult.

Yes, the point of the challenge is to combine things that don't normally go together. (We were kind of mean that way in designing this event. :P ) We know it's going to be tough to be both creative with your elements and also score well on cohesiveness.

But yes. If you choose a character as an element for chapter one, that chapter must focus on that character...but no other chapters should have that character as a focus (though they can be mentioned/peripheral). If you don't pick characters as your elements, you won't have that restriction.

You will face others, though, because as you noted, elements, including genres such as romance, cannot be repeated. Each chapter must utilize and focus on a different set of elements.

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind

Could I be a backup writer please?

• Like 1