Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Congratulations to Hufflepuff for winning the 2017-2018 House Cup!
  • All the finale newspapers are now available for reading
  • Staff
  • prefect
  • and house newsletter editor applications are now open
Phoenix Potioneer

Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald Teaser Trailer!

Phoenix Potioneer

Hello everybody! The Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald teaser trailer was just released early today. If you haven't seen it, pull up a tab and watch it right now.

What do you all think of it? I'll put my thoughts in the spoiler tag for now if you haven't seen it (but go see it now!).

Spoiler

To be honest, I wasn't too excited for the film until I saw the trailer, but now I am.

That first shot of Hogwarts broke my heart. I LOVE YOU HOGWARTS!

I'm having a bit of trouble seeing Jude Law as Dumbledore... I mean, I only have a trailer to go off of, and I'm sure that I'll grow to like him, he just doesn't emulate Dumbledore. Maybe it would be better if they dyed his hair auburn (seriously, it's not that hard. Dye it! Just give it a red tinge, maybe!).

I love how the people questioning Dumbledore (aurors?) are like "we know you're helping Newt" and the trailer literally shows a shot of Dumbledore and Newt next to each other and Dumbledore goes "nope". In fairness though, Dumbledore didn't outright reject the accusation, it was just implied.

QUEENIE! TINA! JACOB! THEY ALL LOOK BEAUTIFUL!

Grindelwald still looks creepy, but not as creepy as the first film. That's a relief. But I don't know why Harry Potter villains have to look so disfigured in the first place. Voldemort looked the way he did because of horcruxes. What's Grindelwald's excuse? Not all villains have to look like abominations.

Dumbledore is using the deluminator? :excited:

Jacob's reaction when Newt says "we're going somewhere" is gold.

Let's see... carriage with flying horses... reminds me a bit of Beauxbatons entrance in the Goblet of Fire... and this movie primarily takes place is France... Beauxbatons is in France... hmmm....

"I can't move against Grindelwald. It has to be you." -YES because Dumbledore is still heartbroken over Grindelwald! I really hope they mention something about Dumbledore's young love for Grindelwald.

I'll analyze each shot more in depth later, but I just noticed upon my most recent re-watch that near the end the symbol of the Deathly Hallows is formed in smoke... will they have more relevance in this movie?

just.a.willow.tree
Posted (edited)

The best thing about that trailer was Jude Law's voice. (Literally every time I hear his voice, I get goosebumps??) He was literally born to do voiceovers; he almost managed to make the story sound enticing. :P I can't quite see him as Dumbledore either, though we'll see. I still have to finish watching the first one, so I don't really know how this story is supposed to be tying into the first movie whoops. Based on the trailer, this movie seems to have a pretty basic storyline. :ninja: Other than the staggering amounts of nostalgia it gave me from the beautiful shots of Hogwarts and the beautiful CGI, I personally don't feel too excited about this.

Another point in this trailer's favor was the lack of Johnny Depp. I mean, there was that one horrifying second where they showed his face, but other than that, it was good. (At least I think it was his face?? That one shot of that pale, pasty, white-blond-haired guy was him, right? If not, please ignore me omg.)

I think I might watch it for the visuals, because it honestly looks quite stunning.

Edited by just.a.willow.tree

Phoenix Potioneer

Yes, the one shot of that pale, pasty, white-blond-haired guy was him. Beautiful description. *laughs*

I like Jude Law's voice in general, it just doesn't sound Dumbledore-ish to me. But I have a feeling I'd be disappointed with anyone that didn't exactly emulate Richard Harris or Michael Gambon.

Yeah, the visuals do look stunning. The visuals in the original movie were great as well, and during one specific scene in the first movie my mouth was just open in amazement.

Finish the first movie!

• Like 1

victoria_anne

Omg omg omg I am SO excited! I love Fantastic Beasts so much, and there looks like we’ll be introduced to a lot more ideas of what goes on in the wizarding world. The shots of Hogwarts were beautiful! Looks like Leta (spelling?) Lestrange will be in a bit too, and I’m excited for her story. Hurry up, November! :P 

• Like 1

Diogenissa
Posted (edited)

I saw this for the 1st time on instagram yesterday and OMG was it awesome!  I've always been partial to Jude Law in general well just cuz :hearteyes: lol.  In any case, I do like how they're setting it up to where Newt and Co. are pretty much central movers and shakers to the overall story.  Seeing Jacob just totally warmed my heart I love him so much.  

Hopefully in one of these films, we see a dual wedding with Newt/Tina and Jacob/Queenie!  :wub::D 

Edited by Diogenissa

danicasyer

I know this response is months late but I'm super excited for the movie to come out in November since I actually enjoyed the first movie.  I honestly got really excited when I saw the Hogwarts castle and seeing young Dumbledore although I'll hold off on the criticism of Jude Law's acting considering I genuinely feel that I need to see more than a clip to see if he fares as his character or not. I really do love seeing Queenie, Tina, and Jacob back again as well!  I also really enjoyed how that little scene where Newt refers to him and Jacob as we since I love their friendship so much and I can't wait to see more of their adventures together.   I'm still having all these questions about what's going on regarding the shots that I've seen from the underwater one with the boy to them in the circus/carnival setting although I suspect that it may be something pertaining to a new creature that Newt may have encountered in that specific event.  I honestly recall this movie or heard something about taking place in France so I'm hoping if that's the case that they may have students from Beauxbatons as that would quite interesting to see.  Overall, apart from the shot of Grindelwald who I almost didn't recognize, I honestly feel really excited for the movie and cannot wait until it comes out!