Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the new badges we have available.
  • Why did Professor Snape stand in the middle of the road?
  • So you'll never know which side he's on.
Sign in to follow this  
BellaLestrange87

What would you do for a living in the magical world?

BellaLestrange87

So... imagine that your dream came true and you got to live in the wizarding world. Obviously, you need to find a job. What would you want to do? What kind of position would you be attracted to?

Personally, I would want to work at Hogwarts as the History of Magic professor. My other interest would be in magical law, but I don't recall reading about magical lawyers or any kind of due process (which, considering how quickly Sirius was sent to Azkaban, and how Barty Crouch Jr didn't get a trial (iirc), is rather problematic) so that might be out barring major ministry reform.

If I couldn't do either of those, I would want to live work at Flourish and Blotts because books.

Felpata_Lupin

My dream job would definitely be being an Unspeakable :wub:

I was just so fascinated when I read about the Department of Mysteries in OotP... indagating the mysteries of nature, life, space, time... what would be more awesome than that? I just love that concept soooo much!!!

• Like 1

Levana

I was telling @victoria_anne like yesterday, I think, that if I were in the wizarding world I'd be like Charlie Weasley and working with Dragons because DRAGONS :wub: dragons are beautiful fascinating creatures. Other than that, I'd probably announce professional quidditch matches, if the working with dragon things didn't work out.

qJjrybJ.png

Recent Badges

victoria_anne

I’ve totally got to agree with @Levana here :P the two of us would actually go into business together, clearly xD

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree

I am unfortunately rather ungifted at being physically adept at anything, so as much as I love dragons, I don't think I'm cut out for working with them. :P I'd love to be a journalist for the Daily Prophet though. Investigating the deep sordid corruption cases of the politicians in case Voldemort 2.0 came along would probably be a lot of fun. ALSO I'd get moving pictures pasted next to my articles, I'm never going to get over how cool those are.

• Like 2

GinnyPotter242

Can I work with dragons as a hobby? I wouldn't want to do it as a full time job, but maybe during a gap year or something :P I'm not sure what I'd like to do. Being a professor would be great, I'd probably choose History of Magic or Ancient Runes. Outside of that, I'd probably own a shop in one of the major wizarding towns or maybe create a new job. I was talking to a few friends earlier about a wizarding version of Youtube/movies, so if that ever happened I'd definitely be some sort of screenwriter/creator. Oh I'm just making up jobs now lol

Owning a shop, being a professor, or maybe an inventor. I would love to be a spell inventor or something like that!

• Like 2

TidalDragon

Dream job? Wizengamot-ing. Because playing a judicial or quasi-judicial role would be pretty awesome.

Real job? Probably something on the business side of Quidditch.

• Like 1

AbraxanUnicorn

My dream job would be in photography or art. My actual job would probably be in healing

Margaret

Well, I am a history teacher, so History of Magic Professor would be the obvious choice. I'd certainly do a better job of it than Binns. Failing that, maybe Muggle Studies professor. Or tutor to wizarding children too young for Hogwarts. Teaching is all I have ever wanted to do.

I've actually planned for one of my next gen. characters to end up becoming an Advocate of Magical Law, which is my 'verse equivalent of a lawyer. But given that my characters are now only starting 3rd year, it will be a while before it comes up.

• Like 1

StarFeather

My parents wished me to study herbology when I was a high school student, however I had no interest in the field at that time. Now I wish I could study or teach herbology like Neville.

beyond the rain

Wizarding actor? :P

In the wizarding world id like to do it all. I'd like to teach history of magic, as well, but I think I'd like to be a radio presenter? Half official half potterwatch haha! The department of mysteries also seems really interesting, but then I'd also like to try my hand at being a detective (blame b99) ....maybe not auror level duelling, but just solving smaller magic crimes, or being a magical p.i 

....why isnt hp real, i have so many career goals! :facepalm:

• Like 1

Recent Badges

LilyEvans33

I would probably be a potioneer, I'm a line cook now in the muggle world, so it would be the closest thing to what I do now. Though I really like working with teenagers, so possibly the potions professor? Either one I would be happy with, and probably when I'm older a writer/author, I could be the one writing the potions textbook they use at Hogwarts.

• Like 1

FoxPatronus

100% would want to be a Magizoologist. My real life major was zoology, so I already love that field of study, but throw in magical beasts on top of that? Sign me UP.

• Like 2

starbuck

hm, do wizards have wizarding architects?? could that be a thing? :hmm:if not that then maybe a broomstick designer (a profession i made up for my story)

• Like 2

Sleepingbagonthesofa

Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor? I'm a drama tutor irl and it's always seemed like it's just overdramatic teaching with a few complicated spells chucked in. 

Only I feel like I'd have to have done some really cool Auror stuff before and have a good retirement plan for after... Maybe have my year in the job and then open a bar on Diagon Alley to rival the Leaky Caldron? 

• Like 3

Recent Badges

Trekkie1980

My dream job would be either a Cursebreaker or a Charms Professor.  I have an absolute love for Charms.  

Recent Badges

Alopex

There's a good chance I would work for the Ministry. I imagine that wizards need maps and data analysis/reporting as well. I don't know if the ministry would have a department for that which would serve other departments as needed, or if each department would have someone like that internally. But that's probably what I would be doing.

Though a other part of me would LOVE to have some little shop in Diagon Alley!

• Like 2

Recent Badges

victoria_anne

I would write children’s books and use magic to make the illustrations move or smell or make noise or jump out and run around for a bit :P I’d have a magical cafe too. There’s so many food and drink options you could do with magic!

• Like 2

Margaret
On 6/4/2018 at 12:16 PM, starbuck said:

hm, do wizards have wizarding architects?? could that be a thing? :hmm:

I bet they do. Somebody has to design their buildings. And maybe include certain magical features, like the stairs moving and stuff.

• Like 1

sunshine_locks

honestly, the idea of starting up a local art business seems very nice. it doesn't seem to be a very important career in the wizarding world, but it sure sounds fun! or maybe i would have my own design shop, where i make and sell pretty dresses or something! 

• Like 1

Veritaserum27

Potions Master at Ilvermorny.

I would absolutely ADORE making potions and supervising students.  I can't think of anything more exciting than teaching your witches and wizards how to care for and understand dangerous ingredients, how to make something more powerful out of seemingly innocuous substances, and how to use your wand to make a soupy-looking mess into a powerful concoction.

• Like 1

MadiMalfoy

Considering that I just got my degree in chemistry and am continuing on into my doctorate in chemistry, I'd like to think that I would be a potioneer. Not a professor of potions (ugh, teaching kids, no thanks) but someone who creates new ones or improves current ones. I think it's also definitely fitting considering I spent a solid three hours researching potions ingredients to create my own potion for a fic! 😂

ShadowRose

I have a degree in International Affairs, so perhaps the Department of International Magical Cooperation? International law is my jam so I feel like I'd have a good time doing the wizarding version of that.

I also have a PR degree, but I specialized in social media, so um... that's not really helpful in the wizarding world. 🙃

Unwritten Curse
On 6/24/2018 at 1:52 AM, victoria_anne said:

I would write children’s books and use magic to make the illustrations move or smell or make noise or jump out and run around for a bit :P I’d have a magical cafe too. There’s so many food and drink options you could do with magic!

I LOVE this idea. I didn't even think of being an author in the magical world, but DUH--this is brilliant.

I would probably end up as a Professor, as I'm a teacher in the boring No-Maj world. ;) But I don't know what subject I'd teach, as I'm a Language Arts teacher and there isn't a subject at Hogwarts all about reading and writing. I mean, all subjects incorporate the two, but none are solely focused on that skill set. I assume the closest would be History of Magic, since that seems to rely more heavily on reading and writing reports. Or maybe Ancient Runes, since that focuses on an old wizarding language that must be read by translation. Or even Magical Theory, as I took a lot of literary theory courses as part of my graduate degree.

That or an Unspeakable, but of course I don't know entirely what they get up to. This is just based on my headcanon of Unspeakables getting to conduct experiments and using magical theory to create something fantastical. Plus I fancy working in a basement where I don't have to deal with crowds. And yet I'm a teacher... Yeah, I don't understand myself either.

• Like 1

adorably cute

I would definitely be a Healer! It's the closest thing to my degree in real life, but I'm also super fascinated by how you'd fix injuries and diseases with magic! Like obviously, there are uh, different problems you'd face as a Healer as opposed to a doctor but there would also be so many cool ways to figure out how to fix them! Honestly, I'm getting excited just thinking about all the things you could do with magic as a Healer.

27 minutes ago, Unwritten Curse said:

That or an Unspeakable, but of course I don't know entirely what they get up to. This is just based on my headcanon of Unspeakables getting to conduct experiments and using magical theory to create something fantastical.

Unspeakable has also always appealed to me and I think it's for the same reason, because I really don't know what they do and I've always wanted to. I've kind of always pictured the same thing and it definitely seems like an interesting career, though I don't know if I could work somewhere so secluded.

Sign in to follow this