Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Congratulations to Hufflepuff for winning the 2017-2018 House Cup!
  • All the finale newspapers are now available for reading
  • Staff
  • prefect
  • and house newsletter editor applications are now open
Sign in to follow this  
TidalDragon

Ready Player One

TidalDragon

Howdy all!

Since the movie was just released this weekend, I felt it was the perfect time to create this topic to discuss the wondrous and not-so-wondrous of our VR future. Did you just read the book? Just watch the movie? Both?

Though it may be due to the proximity in which I finished the book versus watched the movie, I was a little disappointed by the film. The visual effects were great, the overarching story, and the most part the major characters were left intact, but a lot was changed about the mechanics of the hunt and the plot itself. I will credit them for making it very apparent very early that they were departing significantly from the book in a number of ways and I thought the acting was solid, but I would've liked it to hew closer to the book.

I've hidden the very short version of my thoughts above, but I'd love to know what you think!

victoria_anne

I just watched the movie, and didn’t really have high hopes. Even the book didn’t appeal to me. I saw it on a whim and OMG I LOVED IT!!! I was not expecting something so good! I absolutely loved the plot, the hunt for the egg. The visual effects are stunning, of course, and the references were awesome. I loved what we learned about Halliday (was that his name?) and his real life, how he didn’t fit into reality. So, yes, I was pleasantly surprised and I’d definitely see it again! 

Rumpelstiltskin

I read the book recently but haven't seen the movie. I really loved the entire concept but I kind of felt like a lot of elements were overshadowed by the 80s nostalgia. The plot itself was fun but I think that there could have been more substance added to it (and the same goes for the characters). It was almost as if certain things were rushed in order to finish the book when I would've loved a little more time spent on the characters (and friendships built therein, because there is a TON of potential there) and on the plot. It was OKAY...I'd read it again.

Hopefully, I'll see the movie soon so I can add a bit more to it. ^_^

Alexis Black

I also recently read the book before seeing the movie. While the changes to the silver screen version were significant, I think some of it was understandable. Just take the first challenge, for example. Two characters standing in front of an old arcade game booth battling it out would have been nowhere near exciting as what was presented on film. As for the second challenge ... I love the movie version because I was a big SK fan back when that came out. I'm not happy that Ogg's role was severely reduced nor did I like the fact that everyone pretty much made it through intact. The price wasn't paid in my opinion, so to speak.

Oh, but the 80's feels! :wub:

• Like 1

scooterbug8515

Okay, I read the book two or three years ago and I recommend the book to a lot of people.  It isn't high literature but it certainly was a fun ride when reading it.  When I learned about this movie about a year ago, I was excited and yet held my breath.  I learned it would be done by Spielberg and my hopes rose but the previews dashed them some.  The line spoken by Art3mis "Welcome to the rebellion Wade" made me fear they were taking a severe departure from the books.  Yet I went and saw the movie opening weekend (I got a super cheap ticket) and I was blown away! 

The movie was epic!  Did it depart from the book? Yes was it reasonable? Yes.  As Alexis points out boring to watch them play an arcade game - both for the 1st task and how Wade got the coin.  Knowing the whole plot - I honestly liked some of the changes. 

Such as Art3mis being the one who went to the loyalty center.  It makes more sense in a lot of ways and provided a more gripping story.  Not to mention it gave the supporting cast more screen time which is very much needed in a movie - it created more balance in my opinion.  I also liked the changes made to i-r0k.  He was great comedic relief in the movie (gotta love TJ Miller - he amuses me). I also loved Aech getting more screen time, his moment in The Shining was brilliant!

I do agree with Alexis on her statements about Ogg - I wanted more of him because his part of the story was good and also who is opposed to more Simon Pegg on the screen?  But I get why they did what they did.  I also agree with everyone intact - I kept waiting for them to do the big death scene.  I kept going 'oh they will do it here' then when it didn't happen to go 'okay maybe here'  this happened a few times, to be honest.  I would have loved the shock value and it would have added a level of gravity to the story.

Still, overall, I was very pleased with the movie and I'll speak the almost blasphemous words and say that the movie is probably better than the book.  Not to say the book was horrid it was good fiction even if there was room for improvement.  (It was at least better than Earnest Cline's 2nd book Armada - that was horribly flat!)

starbuck

i loved both the book and the movie!

the changes they made for the movie were understandable, they were mostly necessary for it to be actually watchable :P  what i also loved was the music in the movie! the song choice was awesome. and i-rok's character was really funny as well, i loved what they did with him ^_^

as for VR in general - i actually wouldn't be surprised if people ended up like the ones in the movie - almost always in the OASIS and basically living in a virtual reality. we already have social media and a lot of people kind of fabricating their life on there - having just "perfect" images posted depicting their "perfect" life ...not to mention the addiction to social media, especially in young people :I 

Sign in to follow this