Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • See the May Bulletin for archive rule/advisory changes.
  • See our badges forum for more details about our new badges system!
  • The Review Transfer Tool is now ready for use.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

May Bulletin   05/01/2018

May's bulletin is up, with all kinds of interesting information (including a tool to mass transfer all reviews you received on HPFF to HPFT's archive). You can check it out +here.
    • toomanycurls

Annual Member Survey   05/09/2018

Please take a moment to fill out the annual member survey before May 31st.  
Levana

The Stop Shop and Rework It Challenge | June 25, 2018

Levana
Posted (edited)

Challenge Name: The Stop Shop and Rework It Challenge

Challenge Deadline: June 25th, 2018

Accepted Fandom(s): Harry Potter or OF are preferred but I'm open to other fandoms

Accepted Ratings: any

Challenge Details: Alright, so in the wake of HPFF closing and people transferring works over here (also because of some recent thread discussion), I was inspired to make a challenge. This is pretty simple.  We all had to start somewhere, right? So for this challenge choose one of the first things you've ever written and rework/rewrite it to reflect how you've grown as a writer. I'll leave how exactly you do that up to you. That could be anywhere from reworking your writing (like my old fics were 100% dialogue) to reworking your plot.

Rules:

1. Must be posted on the HPFT archives.
  2. Must have "for Levana's Stop Shop and Rework It Challenge" within the summary or story notes somewhere.
  3. Any length
  4. If you can make it work you can combine this with other challenges
  5. OPTIONAL: either link to when you post your entry or add an excerpt to the fic of the original. I realize that some people might not have access to those, so it's optional.
  6. Multiple Entries allowed.

Prizes:

• First Place: 7 reviews on a story of your choice and a prize graphic
  • Second Place: 5 reviews on a story of your choice and a prize graphic
  • Third Place: 3 reviews on a story of your choice and a prize graphic
  • everyone will get a review on their entries 

If you have any questions feel free to PM me! ^_^

(Also shoutout to Bex for giving me the title for my challenge <3)

Edited by Levana

Recent Badges

PaulaTheProkaryote

Oh boy. Sign me up.

• Like 1

Recent Badges

sapphicsunrise

i'll be a maybe but this is exactly the kick i need

• Like 2

magnifique

I cackled when I saw this. Unfortunately, due to a hard-drive mishap, I don't have anything prior to 2016ish (and I've been writing fic since 2009 lol) BUT I remember enough of my old stuff to cringe, so that means I can rework it. The only problem is deciding which one to rework...

• Like 1

Pixileanin

ME!!!

I know just the fic I want to do too. :)

• Like 1

dirigibleplums

oooh sign me up as a maybe :)

• Like 1

beyond the rain

(Dont shout at me for still being awake!) I'm a maybe, and you're welcome for the title! ;D

Recent Badges

StarFeather

Wa... I've already started reworking my first ever HP fic and posted some chapters. Can I continue the work for this challenge? The link to the first which is on ffnet (sadly I predicted the previous archives would be shut down, so I transferred the story there in advance). I've reworked it on hpft archives. 

I am a taker.

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin

I'm in with Two Lilies :P  I've actually already transferred and edited a little the first chapter, but I will probably change it up a bit more for the challenge... if that's okay?

I also have another question (just in the unlikely case I'll have time for more than one project...): I never posted my very first fic anywhere but I would like to take this excuse to rework and share it...  would that be okay or does the rewrite need to be of something already posted on some other site?

Thank you! :wub:

Slytherinchica08

If you will accept my story Life As We Know It, I will be a taker. If not I'm a maybe. The only reason I'm not sure if it will be accepted is because I originally posted it back in 2011, however since then I have already done some reworking of it. But I am once more starting to do some reworking on it, combining old chapters, adding in new chapters and material. Would this work for you?

Levana
6 hours ago, StarFeather said:

Wa... I've already started reworking my first ever HP fic and posted some chapters. Can I continue the work for this challenge? The link to the first which is on ffnet (sadly I predicted the previous archives would be shut down, so I transferred the story there in advance). I've reworked it on hpft archives. 

I am a taker.

18 minutes ago, Slytherinchica08 said:

If you will accept my story Life As We Know It, I will be a taker. If not I'm a maybe. The only reason I'm not sure if it will be accepted is because I originally posted it back in 2011, however since then I have already done some reworking of it. But I am once more starting to do some reworking on it, combining old chapters, adding in new chapters and material. Would this work for you?

I won't be accepting prewritten fics for this (I forgot to put it in my original post). Part of the challenge is to take an idea/plot that you wrote in the past and reworking it  and tweaking it with how you would do it today. :)  I'm going to make a blanket statement here and say that anything submitted has to be some sort of completely new rewrite/reworking of an old work. How old that work is is completely up to you. 

54 minutes ago, Felpata_Lupin said:

I'm in with Two Lilies :P  I've actually already transferred and edited a little the first chapter, but I will probably change it up a bit more for the challenge... if that's okay?

I also have another question (just in the unlikely case I'll have time for more than one project...): I never posted my very first fic anywhere but I would like to take this excuse to rework and share it...  would that be okay or does the rewrite need to be of something already posted on some other site?

Thank you! :wub:

If you're changing it substantially enough I think that's fine ^_^ 

The fic you're choosing to rework doesn't have to be posted already; that's why that one rule is optional. If you still have it though, you can add a little excerpt somewhere - probably when you come back to post the link to your entry. You don't have to do that, since its optional. I just want to see how people have changed over the years xD

Spoiler

Takers:

1. PaulaTheProkaryote 
  2. sapphicsunrise
  3. magnifique
  4. Pixileanin
  5. StarFeather
  6. Felpata_Lupin

Maybes: 

1. dirigibleplums
  2. beyond the rain
  3. Slytherinchia08

Recent Badges

Slytherinchica08

I'll be a maybe for now. I did see some of my old stories that I might do a complete rewrite on the concept but not 100% sure which one I want to do.

• Like 1

StarFeather
2 hours ago, Levana said:

I'm going to make a blanket statement here and say that anything submitted has to be some sort of completely new rewrite/reworking of an old work.

Mine is completely different. I'm thinking to add more brand new chapters for this challenge. :)

Recent Badges

MileyMalfoy

I'll be a maybe, I found a collection of one-shots that I wrote for an old house cup, and want to completely rework those but keep the concept that it was written around. 

• Like 1

Levana
1 hour ago, StarFeather said:

Mine is completely different. I'm thinking to add more brand new chapters for this challenge. :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the understanding that I have is that this is a project that you're actively working on (and have been working on) and that defeats the purpose of the challenge a bit. The purpose of the challenge is to rewrite something old :) 

5 minutes ago, MileyMalfoy said:

I'll be a maybe, I found a collection of one-shots that I wrote for an old house cup, and want to completely rework those but keep the concept that it was written around. 

awesome!! 

Spoiler

Takers:

1. PaulaTheProkaryote 
  2. sapphicsunrise
  3. magnifique
  4. Pixileanin
  5. StarFeather
  6. Felpata_Lupin

Maybes: 

1. dirigibleplums
  2. beyond the rain
  3. Slytherinchia08
  4. MileyMalfoy

Recent Badges

StarFeather
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Levana said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the understanding that I have is that this is a project that you're actively working on (and have been working on) and that defeats the purpose of the challenge a bit. The purpose of the challenge is to rewrite something old :) 

Yes, I think I understand that ^.

The original one (the oldest for me) was written around 2011 to 2012 at hpff. After the previous forums were shut down, I transferred the one to ffnet. 

I'll change the plot about druidic magic and mystery around Harry Potter including villains. 

Edited by StarFeather

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin

Sorry, Maggie... other question, it just occurred to me... :hmm:

Does the story need to be completed by the deadline? If not, do you have a minimum of chapters that need to be posted? (Sorry if you already mentioned it and I didn't notice... :couch:)

AbraxanUnicorn

OMG yes - sign me up! I'd been tentatively thinking about a near-total re-write of my first fic before transferring it from HPFF to HPFT, and this challenge could be just the push I need ... 

• Like 1

GinnyPotter242

...I should totally re-write the Taylor Swift song fic that I wrote...it won your challenge back in the day :roflol:(how? I don't know, it's so cringy) I'd say taker, but I am infamously terrible at completing challenges so sign me up as a maybe! I'm sure I can fond something to rework :P 

• Like 1

Levana
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, StarFeather said:

Yes, I think I understand that ^.

The original one (the oldest for me) was written around 2011 to 2012 at hpff. After the previous forums were shut down, I transferred the one to ffnet. 

I'll change the plot about druidic magic and mystery around Harry Potter including villains. 

Sounds good! ^_^ 

3 hours ago, Felpata_Lupin said:

Sorry, Maggie... other question, it just occurred to me... :hmm:

Does the story need to be completed by the deadline? If not, do you have a minimum of chapters that need to be posted? (Sorry if you already mentioned it and I didn't notice... :couch:)

It's all good, Chiara!! It's my fault for forgetting to add things to my original post :ninja: It doesn't have to be completed!! I'll say two chapters ^_^ 

2 hours ago, AbraxanUnicorn said:

OMG yes - sign me up! I'd been tentatively thinking about a near-total re-write of my first fic before transferring it from HPFF to HPFT, and this challenge could be just the push I need ... 

:D I'm glad! 

33 minutes ago, GinnyPotter242 said:

...I should totally re-write the Taylor Swift song fic that I wrote...it won your challenge back in the day :roflol:(how? I don't know, it's so cringy) I'd say taker, but I am infamously terrible at completing challenges so sign me up as a maybe! I'm sure I can fond something to rework :P 

xD I completely forgot until now about my T-Swift song fic challenge...

Spoiler

Takers:

1. PaulaTheProkaryote 
  2. sapphicsunrise
  3. magnifique
  4. Pixileanin
  5. StarFeather
  6. Felpata_Lupin
  7. GinnyPotter242
  8. AbraxanUnicorn

Maybes: 

1. dirigibleplums
  2. beyond the rain
  3. Slytherinchia08
  4. MileyMalfoy

Edited by Levana
  • Thanks 1

Recent Badges

Kerney
Posted (edited)

Make me a maybe. I found my old fic on fiction alley. I started years ago, posted one chapter, and then had no idea where to go from there, and how to stucture larger stories. I remembered the closing scene I had in mind, 11 year old Rose being comforted by Dad at her first big crushes' wedding....to Luna. 

Edited by Kerney
  • Like 1

Chelts-rhj

Yes! I’m in!

• Like 1

Recent Badges

VaguelyCreativeName

Ooh, this sounds fun! I'll be a maybe! I'm not sure which story I'll do, but I've got a couple of one-shots that might work.. Or else a longer project that I never finished because apparently you need a plot for that:P (which I definitely didn't have)

• Like 1

Hobbit
  1. I wrote this +here back in 2012, and i'd love to re-write it for here, so i'll be a taker, please.x 
  • Like 1

ReillyJade

I can think of a couple old dumpster fires stories I'd like to try this with. xD I'm in! 

• Like 1