Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • Fic Feud is the current House Cup event!
  • Good luck to all the writers doing Camp NaNo. See you in the Crazies' Cafe!
  • Enjoy the new themes! To change them choose the "Themes" dropdown at the bottom of the page.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

April Bulletin   04/01/2018

April's Bulletin has been posted! You can find it +here!
facingthenorthwind

What Harry Potter character would you re-sort?

facingthenorthwind

I feel like this is pretty self-explanatory, but let me know if it isn't.

I would want to re-sort Arthur Weasley (RAVENCLAW) and Dumbledore (Slytherin -- he's a Gryff/Slyth edge case but I strongly feel like the fact that he just let Grindelwald terrorise the world for YEARS when he could've put a stop to it this whole time and chose not to is proof that he is in fact Slytherin).

I'm sure there are others but those are the ones I am most passionate about.

(Also, if anyone can give me convincing logic for why Peter Pettigrew is a Gryff in canon I would love to hear it.)

victoria_anne

This Mugglenet article here (M to be safe) sums up Peter’s sorting better than I could. Basically I think Peter does possess Gryffindor qualities, loyalty especially, but to Voldemort, rather than his friends. Plus, the Hat takes the student’s preference into account, so that was probably a factor too.

Along the same lines, Cormac McLaggen is Gryffindor, but he displays what we consider to the negative traits of the house :) 

facingthenorthwind

I never really questioned Cormac -- Gryffindors being massive tossers seemed like a well-established tradition with pre-Seventh Year Marauders being bullying gits.

Thank you for that read on Peter! I, as an enormous coward and extremely non-Gryffindor, would probably not have had the guts to be a double agent, and I hadn't thought about it that way before. 

beyond the rain

so i'm not sure if there's anyone i'd resort but there are some where I'm like, if I was the sorting hat - I would've had to weigh it up for a little bit. 

Slughorn is every bit a slytherin - but I see a little bit of a Hufflepuff in him. Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders (just ask @Levana she'll tell you) . And Slughorn's every bit a collector. He finds your best quality, and then does the slytherin thing and uses it for his own self gain. I mean the way he felt about the whole horcrux tom riddle situation, says to me - there's a bit of hufflepuff in him. 

If I was the sorting hat, I'd have placed Lily Evans in ravenclaw or hufflepuff. She has Gryffindor traits, but in my opinion, she has traits that would put her in other houses. If anything, I often find myself trying to sort the next gen crew....but that's all down to our own personal opinion, seeing as we all have our own versions of the next gen characters. 

I usually try not to sort other people. In rp, when it comes to the sorting, I usually asked the admins to sort them for me based on their app and their sorting post (this isn't PW btw, this is an old site I used to RP on) . I sometimes worry that I'm terrible at judging others, especially characters I've created - so I let others do it for me! 

• Haha 1

GinnyPotter242

Ooh, so we're basing this on who they are in canon, right? I've read a few good AUs with a Gryffindor Draco, which are amazing, but personally I can't see him fitting there in canon.

There aren't many that i would completely re-sort, just because the dynamic of the book would change. @beyond the rain, I see your point with Lily, but I also see her as more Gryffindor than anything. She willingly stood between her son and Voldemort- one of the Darkest Wizards of all time, with no wand, and begged him. That takes bravery (and despite the fact that most mothers would do the same....it's not the most 'wise' lmao). Also, I don't think she and James would have ended up together if she was in a different house. Then again, we don't know much about Hogwarts in the Marauder's era, so I suppose it's possible! 

As much as I love Scorpius in Slytherin (I take Cursed Child as like...half canon. Basically it's an outline that I take many liberties with), I can't help but see the Hufflepuff in him. He has such unwavering loyalty to Albus, and patience of a saint (Albus was a lil tough to deal with, this moody thirteen year old). 

I wouldn't touch the Trio, because as much as they do show aspects of other houses, I think that's what makes them work together so well. They're all definitely Gryffindor's, but having qualities of the other houses too helps so much with their plans.

Ooh, Percy I'd put in Slytherin. I think it would add an interesting component to the story, because of the resentment of the Weasely's (especially Ron) towards Slytherin, and how the rest of the Weasley's treat Percy. I think it would be super interesting especially once Percy leaves, because of the stereotype "evil" house, and then he (and by extension, Slytherin) would get the redemtion arc when he comes back. Slytherin doesn't really get any redemption arc, even though Draco DEFINITELY deserved one. (I''m not a fan of Snape, and I don't view his story as a redemption for either the house or fully for the person). So having Percy be that person would put an interesting spin on everything.  

• Like 1

PaulaTheProkaryote

I'd have resorted like half the Weasley Clan. 

Percy I'd have in Slytherin because that boy is driven hard by ambition. 

Ginny I'd place in Hufflepuff because she's fiercely loyal. 

Ron I think I'd also put in Slytherin. He dreamed so often of success and standing out from his brothers and being head boy etc. 

I'd put Fred and George in Ravenclaw. They're incredibly clever, even if they use it for mischief. 

• Like 1

Awards

Kerney
4 hours ago, GinnyPotter242 said:

Ooh, Percy I'd put in Slytherin. I think it would add an interesting component to the story, because of the resentment of the Weasely's (especially Ron) towards Slytherin, and how the rest of the Weasley's treat Percy. I think it would be super interesting especially once Percy leaves, because of the stereotype "evil" house, and then he (and by extension, Slytherin) would get the redemtion arc when he comes back. Slytherin doesn't really get any redemption arc, even though Draco DEFINITELY deserved one. (I''m not a fan of Snape, and I don't view his story as a redemption for either the house or fully for the person). So having Percy be that person would put an interesting spin on everything.  

Interestingly, the one I would put in Slytherin to get a redemption arc is Ginny. She seems ambitous and little arrogant from book 5 on and certainly sneaky in the sense of how she taught herself quiditch, and if your going to have romantic interest at age 10, you might as well dream big.

From a narrative standpoint I could see Tom's diary maybe or maybe not having influenced her. But in the end, even though Tom may or may not have had a hand in creating her, she would not be Tom's creature. That would be her part of her ambition, and her choice. And yes, she would be a not always trusted bridge to Slytherin but still having a family that tries to love her.

• Like 2

GinnyPotter242
13 hours ago, Kerney said:

Interestingly, the one I would put in Slytherin to get a redemption arc is Ginny. She seems ambitous and little arrogant from book 5 on and certainly sneaky in the sense of how she taught herself quiditch, and if your going to have romantic interest at age 10, you might as well dream big.

See, I can't see Ginny as anything other than Gryffindor. She's ambitious sure, but so are most of the Weasley's, and I don't think her ambition matched up to Percy's at all. She was more stubborn and determined than simply ambitious, which I find lies much more with Gryffindor. Doing something because someone says you can't by breaking the rules- that's definitely Gryffindor. I didn't see her as arrogant nearly as much as confident in herself after the 5th book. Before that, we get shy little Ginny who is dealing with her crush on Harry Potter, and can barely speak a word around him. But during and after the 5th book, she lets her Harry Potter crush go, gets to know Harry, dates some other boys (and Luna. She definitely had a fling with Luna. It just happened, okay?) and becomes more confident in who she is as a person and her skills. Unfortunately it seems to be a thing that confident women are often seen as arrogant for displaying the same qualities as confident men do- yet the men are called confident, not arrogant. (Not trying to put words in your mouth or anything, just that this is a common trend in society in general). 

At age 10, I definitely had celebrity crushes that I imagined myself with, and at this time, that's all Harry was to her- a celebrity. I think we've all had celebrity crushes, and most of us would probably react in a very similar way if our biggest celebrity crush randomly showed up in our house, or was just constantly hanging around. 

Percy however- he was majorly ambitious, to the point where he put his ambition over his family. He wanted to be important, and he knew exactly how to climb the social ladder. He was cunning enough to do that, and he got what he wanted and wouldn't let anything get in his way. Also, since there already was that rift in the family, that's where the redemption arc would have come from once he came back. With Ginny, the only point of contention between her and her family would have been that she was in Slytherin, and having Slytherin get a redemption arc by the 2nd or 3rd book probably wouldn't work as well-to me, at least- as it would to have it happen in the 7th. 

facingthenorthwind
8 hours ago, GinnyPotter242 said:

See, I can't see Ginny as anything other than Gryffindor. She's ambitious sure, but so are most of the Weasley's, and I don't think her ambition matched up to Percy's at all. She was more stubborn and determined than simply ambitious, which I find lies much more with Gryffindor. Doing something because someone says you can't by breaking the rules- that's definitely Gryffindor. I didn't see her as arrogant nearly as much as confident in herself after the 5th book. Before that, we get shy little Ginny who is dealing with her crush on Harry Potter, and can barely speak a word around him. But during and after the 5th book, she lets her Harry Potter crush go, gets to know Harry, dates some other boys (and Luna. She definitely had a fling with Luna. It just happened, okay?) and becomes more confident in who she is as a person and her skills. Unfortunately it seems to be a thing that confident women are often seen as arrogant for displaying the same qualities as confident men do- yet the men are called confident, not arrogant. (Not trying to put words in your mouth or anything, just that this is a common trend in society in general). 

At age 10, I definitely had celebrity crushes that I imagined myself with, and at this time, that's all Harry was to her- a celebrity. I think we've all had celebrity crushes, and most of us would probably react in a very similar way if our biggest celebrity crush randomly showed up in our house, or was just constantly hanging around. 

Percy however- he was majorly ambitious, to the point where he put his ambition over his family. He wanted to be important, and he knew exactly how to climb the social ladder. He was cunning enough to do that, and he got what he wanted and wouldn't let anything get in his way. Also, since there already was that rift in the family, that's where the redemption arc would have come from once he came back. With Ginny, the only point of contention between her and her family would have been that she was in Slytherin, and having Slytherin get a redemption arc by the 2nd or 3rd book probably wouldn't work as well-to me, at least- as it would to have it happen in the 7th. 

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, I agree 100% with all of this.

Also, another one for Slytherin: Lockhart. Dude clearly did not care at all about the accumulation of knowledge, all he wanted was fame. 

Mostly I feel like JKR did Slytherin a massive disservice by not putting all the Slytherins in it -- instead she only put the evil ones in it. 

• Like 2

Kerney
23 hours ago, GinnyPotter242 said:

Quick thing on Percy. He's ambitous, but he's also brave. He stood up his family (for the wrong reason, he's not very smart which makes me think Penny dumped him) and he crossed the lines of a war to side with his estranged family to join what looks to be the loosing side, which means in the end he's putting ambition aside.

As for Ginny, let me address it from a narrative standpoint and a characterization standpoint, particularly because you did a great job of explaining why you see Ginny as only a Gryffindor (though I've read some AU that convincingly put her elsewhere).

From a narrative standpoint, I see the redemption arc going from Chamber through Deadly Hallows and seesawing from trust, false starts, and mistakes on both sides. Provided Ginny is not a Draco like Junior Death Eater (and there are plenty Slytherins potentially in this category), I could see Ron and the twins wondering if their sister is becoming the mask. I can see Arthur reminding his kids that their grandmother, Cedrella Black, was a Slytherin. I'd love to see the light Sirius' situation is seen from when the Weaslys are in the same situation. I can see Harry and co wondering if they should include her in the DA and her bringing a couple friends...but significantly not betraying them, though that is the first place some members point their wands. And I like the idea of Slytherin Ginny marrying Harry Potter and living happily ever after.

From a characterization standpoint, your dead on that confidence in a man is seen as arrogance in a woman. I also admit Ginny isn't my favorite character, mainly because I don't feel JkR did a good job of transitioning between shy Ginny to confident Ginny. So I suspect I'm not as invested in her. But I can see a rule breaker in both Slytherin and Gryffindor. I can see a girl who can call her boyfriend "a fool" while still dating him having a streak that could be snobbish in different circumstances, and I see confidence could breed ambition (a good point of departure is her getting confident earlier) so I can see her as a Slytherin while I can't see her as a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff.

I don't expect you to agree with me, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Take Care,

Kerney

LilyEvans33

The Black family, or more specifically Regulus, Andromeda, and Narcissa.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think Regulus should've been in Gryffindor, Andromeda in Hufflepuff, and Narcissa in Ravenclaw. We don't know much about them as they weren't seen or talked about in canon, but this is what I think about these sortings.

Regulus in Gryffindor because he's not afraid to stand up to others. We know that Sirius and Regulus had to of been close growing up, from what we see in canon, they didn't really know anyone outside of their family until Hogwarts. This is probably because the pureblood circle is very closed off from the rest of the Wizarding community and the Blacks were the most elite of them. I'm sure that after Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor, Regulus was pressured by his parents to be in Slytherin, and as we know, the sorting hat takes choice into consideration. If things went differently, I'm sure that Regulus would've gone to the Order or at least Sirius with the locket. This being said, Regulus should've been in Gryffindor, his fatal flaw is that he is easily peer pressured.

Andromeda in Hufflepuff because from what we've seen, she is a kind and loyal person. She was more than willing to leave her family for Ted Tonks, for someone who showed her kindness and a choice for her life. Though we don't know her actual age, we can guess that she found out that she was pregnant while at school with a Muggleborn's baby no less. Andromeda would also have been the oldest of the Black cousins to not by in Slytherin, which can be scary, she like Regulus probably asked to be in Slytherin so as to not be disowned, even though it happened anyways. Her flaw would be that she isn't good at making choices in the moment, or maybe that she wasn't brave enough to make one.

Narcissa in Ravenclaw because she's smart, simple enough. She knows when to speak and when and where to find help. She's fiercely protective, at least to her family, but she's also the only one in her family to not be killed in the war, or have her family be killed in the war. Also from what we know, she isn't a death eater, she knew better than to swear herself to Voldemort. Narcissa is really quite brilliant, she probably never would have married into the Malfoy family if she had a choice, as her parents had probably set up her marriage after Andromeda married Ted. Narcissa's flaw is that she didn't act sooner, or that she was too clever and that made her foolish.

I know that they all have Slytherin qualities, their clever and cunning and loyal to themselves, but I see loyalty as a trait for all the houses, not just Hufflepuff.

Phoenix Potioneer
4 hours ago, LilyEvans33 said:

The Black family, or more specifically Regulus, Andromeda, and Narcissa.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I think Regulus should've been in Gryffindor, Andromeda in Hufflepuff, and Narcissa in Ravenclaw. We don't know much about them as they weren't seen or talked about in canon, but this is what I think about these sortings.

Regulus in Gryffindor because he's not afraid to stand up to others. We know that Sirius and Regulus had to of been close growing up, from what we see in canon, they didn't really know anyone outside of their family until Hogwarts. This is probably because the pureblood circle is very closed off from the rest of the Wizarding community and the Blacks were the most elite of them. I'm sure that after Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor, Regulus was pressured by his parents to be in Slytherin, and as we know, the sorting hat takes choice into consideration. If things went differently, I'm sure that Regulus would've gone to the Order or at least Sirius with the locket. This being said, Regulus should've been in Gryffindor, his fatal flaw is that he is easily peer pressured.

Andromeda in Hufflepuff because from what we've seen, she is a kind and loyal person. She was more than willing to leave her family for Ted Tonks, for someone who showed her kindness and a choice for her life. Though we don't know her actual age, we can guess that she found out that she was pregnant while at school with a Muggleborn's baby no less. Andromeda would also have been the oldest of the Black cousins to not by in Slytherin, which can be scary, she like Regulus probably asked to be in Slytherin so as to not be disowned, even though it happened anyways. Her flaw would be that she isn't good at making choices in the moment, or maybe that she wasn't brave enough to make one.

Narcissa in Ravenclaw because she's smart, simple enough. She knows when to speak and when and where to find help. She's fiercely protective, at least to her family, but she's also the only one in her family to not be killed in the war, or have her family be killed in the war. Also from what we know, she isn't a death eater, she knew better than to swear herself to Voldemort. Narcissa is really quite brilliant, she probably never would have married into the Malfoy family if she had a choice, as her parents had probably set up her marriage after Andromeda married Ted. Narcissa's flaw is that she didn't act sooner, or that she was too clever and that made her foolish.

I know that they all have Slytherin qualities, their clever and cunning and loyal to themselves, but I see loyalty as a trait for all the houses, not just Hufflepuff.

It's a fine idea, but the only problem is... if they're resorted, then there won't be any good Slytherins left! There's already such a lack of good Slytherins in the books.

However, you do raise good points with this. Regulus doesn't exactly fit Slytherin perfectly- his finally act was totally self-sacrificial, with no one even knowing about what he did until decades later. That doesn't sound ambitious, in fact, quite the opposite. But he certainly is clever, since he was the single person who figured out that Voldemort had horcruxes- Dumbledore HIMSELF didn't even figure this out until decades later. Not only did he discover the existence of horcruxes, Regulus was able to deduce that the locket was a horcrux. Impressive stuff.

I can see Andromeda being a definite Slytherin when she was sorted, but changing through the years. As Dumbledore says, "sometimes I think we sort too soon". In my headcanon, she was very similar to Bellatrix and Narcissa, and did not begin to change until she fell in love with Ted. If she didn't fall for Ted, she might have gone a similar route as Bellatrix and Narcissa.

Narcissa... you raise some very interesting points with her. She is like a Ravenclaw in many aspects. However, you didn't make note of her ambition. She clearly had some ambition, because that is what caused her to marry (in my headcanon, anyway) a rich pureblood in Lucius Malfoy. Like him, she wanted power, and it was only later in the war that she began to change.

I think the problem, with sorting in general, is that so many people change throughout the years. None of us are the same people that we were at 11 years old. Things happen that change us deep inside, fundamentally. In characters like these three, they changed so much since they were 11 years old, which makes them difficult to sort. Do we sort them based on how they are now or how they died, or do we judge them on how they were all those years ago?

• Like 1

scooterbug8515

I'm not sure who I'd straight up re-sort, maybe Minerva into Ravenclaw - which this is addressed on Pottermore - the hat wavered between the two houses but landed in Gryffindor.  I think there are a lot of people that exhibit the qualities of two houses almost equally.  Not to mention sorting happens when everyone is 11, who we were as an 11 year old and who we are now is very different. (I am a dual house myself and while I am very much a Slytherin, 11 year old me would have most likely been placed in Hufflepuff.)

That said this is why I came into this thread.

I cannot see Regulus as anything but a Slytherin.  While each house has loyalty in one way or another the two houses most known for their loyalty are Slytherins and Hufflepuffs.  Puffs are loyal in general, loyal to people as a whole and in my opinion, many are loyal to a fault.  Slytherins are loyal to theirs and their own, this means loyal to family, to traditions, to family - those that promote and protect you.  With that said Gryffindor's are loyal to what is right, how things should be - if that means walking away for yours and your own so be it.  Regulus didn't do that - he remained loyal to his family and their ideals even if he did question them some.  It is true that Regulus was self-sacrificing in the end and brave to do it, but there are two things regarding this sacrifice that while Gryffindor like, solidly keep him in Slytherin in my books. 

1. To me Regulus did what he did to protect his own. He was loyal to his family the Nobel house of Black (his own)  he was not loyal to Voldemort (not his own a group he joined for family approval imo).  When he turned against Voldemort - I am sure he learned truths he did not know before, risks that his family would face thus he did what he did to protect his own, he accepted possible death to protect his own - which Slytherins can and will do it.  Their family their core group needs to survive more than them.  

2. How Regulus stood up to Voldemort was sly and cunning.  I could be judging Gryffindors wrong but a large number of them would have made a more public move against Voldemort (not for glory) but more to make things clear - such as a clear transition over to the Order.  Or a direct confrontation with Voldemort.  Things would have been clear would have been public- would have been done to appeal to others to do what is right.  Regulus however, quietly slipped behind Voldemort's back, ordered Kreacher never to speak of the situation (partially to protect his own).  He snuck in the shadows quietly over throwing what he knew was wrong and what he knew would destroy his family and the ideals they stood for.  (There is a difference between blood purity and pushing that ideal and a man using an ideal to gain personal power - which is exactly what Voldemort was doing.  A man who will do anything for power will turn on the very ideals that he used to get said power - very dangerous that.  It also goes against to a degree the ideals that Regulus' family stood for.)

So I personally feel that Regulus is solidly Slytherin and belongs in no other house but, and peer-pressure wasn't the only thing to dictate many of his actions.

• Like 3

Alexis Black

I'm going to have to agree with  @scooterbug8515 on Regulus. You have to look deeper than just Regulus' actions pertaining to standing up to others and question what were his motivations to do so. Remember, Severus was brave enough to be a double agent and clever enough to pull it off for quite some time.

• Like 1

GinnyPotter242
On 4/5/2018 at 1:33 PM, Kerney said:

I don't expect you to agree with me, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Take Care,

Kerney

I can definitely see where you're coming from :) We just have very different interpretations of the characters! You're reasoning is very solid as well, so I hope you are able to find (or write) a lot of fics with a Slytherin Ginny! I have seen some decent fics where a character- any character really- is placed in a house I can't see them in, so I do understand :)

@LilyEvans33 I can see where you're coming from too. Regulus I think is the most likely to have been in a house other than Slytherin out of those three- because he really was brave, self-sacrificial, and courageous. It definitely had more to do with familial connections and wanting to stay safe that put him in Slytherin. My headcanon is that Sirius wanted Reg to be in Gryffindor with him, but he told Reg that he should be in Slytherin because he knew what their parents would do if both of them were in Gryffindor. 

I do also agree with the point that there would be no good (canon) Slytherins left if those three were sorted somewhere else. And I also think that Andy and Narcissa have Slytherin qualities despite what they did. Andromeda chose herself over her family- she chose to do something that would make her happy, even of she hurt other people to get there and even if she had to cut people out of her life. Narcissa did something similar, but for her family. She was cunning enough to lie to Voldemort's face and get away with it in order to find her son. Her family was the most important thing to her, and she did anything in her power to protect them. The way they go about protecting these things they love- both Andromeda and Narcissa- are purely Slytherin to me. They both take and keep what they love through any means necessary, no matter who they betray or step over to get there. I think my idea of Slytherin loyalty is being loyal to your family, but that doesn't always mean your blood family- I think it means your chosen family. Neither Narcissa or Andromeda chose their original blood family to be loyal to, but rather the family they decided on and created- their children and husbands. 

• Like 1

Alexis Black
Posted (edited)

“Albus Severus," Harry said quietly, so that nobody but Ginny could hear, and she was tactful enough to pretend to be waving to Rose, who was now on the train, "you were named for two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew.

Deathly Hallows, Epilogue (emphasis mine).

Just because one is brave, doesn't mean they should be in Gryffindor.

Edited by Alexis Black
  • Like 1

facingthenorthwind

Oh noooo, someone on twitter posted that Percy was sorted into Gryffindor for hand-me-down reasons because we know you get a choice, and he was worried about the expense of his parents buying him new clothes. Excuse me while I cry.