Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • See the May Bulletin for archive rule/advisory changes.
  • See our badges forum for more details about our new badges system!
  • The Review Transfer Tool is now ready for use.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

May Bulletin   05/01/2018

May's bulletin is up, with all kinds of interesting information (including a tool to mass transfer all reviews you received on HPFF to HPFT's archive). You can check it out +here.
    • toomanycurls

Annual Member Survey   05/09/2018

Please take a moment to fill out the annual member survey before May 31st.  
facingthenorthwind

How do you pronounce people's usernames?

facingthenorthwind

Some of us have usernames that are just English words strung together, but other people are more creative and I think I'm pronouncing them incorrectly.

Now, obviously you can let people know what the correct pronunciation is, but I also find that hearing everyone's mistakes is part of the fun.

For instance:

@Levana is the Hebrew for 'white', but despite taking Hebrew, I don't pronounce it like that? I have the stress on the middle syllable, levAHna, whereas if I were saying the word 'white', it should be levaNA. I have no excuse for this, my brain just....decided. (Maggie has literally said it's the Hebrew for white, so I'm not even reaching there.)

@Ineke I pronounce ih-nek-ee, which I have just discovered is extremely wrong.

@lllb I pronounce ill-buh, despite...there being no i in there. It just. appeared.

@PaulaTheProkaryote I pronounce the third word like uhh...pro-kar-ee-oat, to rhyme with boat. I know this is a legit scientific word and I could look up the proper pronunciation but I haven't, so.

@Felpata_Lupin for a bonus round, I pronounce Chiara with the 'ch' in 'church', so: chee-ah-rah. 

What other weird brain sounds do you have that probably do not approach anything sensible?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin

This is interesting :)

Honestly, I probably pronounce everyone's username/name wrong :P

For example, @Aphoride I will always pronounce Laura the Italian way instead of the English way. I just can't help it...

I always get extremely confused when people write pronunciations :couch: but I think the way you say my name is almost correct, aside the ch sound is hard... I think like a k? Chi should sound similar to key, I think?

Anyway, fun topic :P

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree

^ omg Chiara I need to fix my pronunciation immediately

Emma pretty much covered all of my mistakes. (@Ineke the right pronunciation of your name is so pretty, I'm mildly embarrassed I didn't realize.) I'm pretty sure I pronounce another name wrong, and it's @LadyL8's. I've been pronouncing "Lotte" like the second half of Charlotte, with a slightly more exaggerated O sound. I'm beginning to think that's very wrong, but I don't know haha.

There are three ways to pronounce "Eva" and I actually have no idea which one people go for so :P 

• Like 3

LadyL8
Posted (edited)

@Felpata_Lupin Omg. I've pronounced your name wrong this whole time. Now I'm almost embarrassed to think of the last Golden Chalices Awards video :$:couch:

42 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

^ omg Chiara I need to fix my pronunciation immediately

Emma pretty much covered all of my mistakes. (@Ineke the right pronunciation of your name is so pretty, I'm mildly embarrassed I didn't realize.) I'm pretty sure I pronounce another name wrong, and it's @LadyL8's. I've been pronouncing "Lotte" like the second half of Charlotte, with a slightly more exaggerated O sound. I'm beginning to think that's very wrong, but I don't know haha.

There are three ways to pronounce "Eva" and I actually have no idea which one people go for so :P 

Yeah, that's not how you pronounce my name, but you're not too far off. A lot of people say it like "Lottie" (like with the i), but that's not it either. It's like the word "lot" and then you add the "e" in "send" or "mend", if that makes sense :P 

Edited by LadyL8
  • Like 4

Ineke

@LadyL8 Oooh, that's how I pronounce it! Sort of. I dunno if the e in mend or send is quite the right one, but it's similar enough to make it work.

@Felpata_Lupin so Chiara is more like pronounced as Kiara? Like that English name Kiara? Does that make sense? 

@just.a.willow.tree Hmm.. With the name Eva I either tend to go full English Ee-vah or Dutch, but I can't find an English word to get the E sound right. Mhh... maybe the a sound in maze for the e? Does that make sense? with the A being more like 'aaaaaaaaah'. If you get what I mean :P

Slytherinchica08
2 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:

Some of us have usernames that are just English words strung together, but other people are more creative and I think I'm pronouncing them incorrectly.

Now, obviously you can let people know what the correct pronunciation is, but I also find that hearing everyone's mistakes is part of the fun.

For instance:

@Levana is the Hebrew for 'white', but despite taking Hebrew, I don't pronounce it like that? I have the stress on the middle syllable, levAHna, whereas if I were saying the word 'white', it should be levaNA. I have no excuse for this, my brain just....decided. (Maggie has literally said it's the Hebrew for white, so I'm not even reaching there.)

@Ineke I pronounce ih-nek-ee, which I have just discovered is extremely wrong.

@lllb I pronounce ill-buh, despite...there being no i in there. It just. appeared.

@PaulaTheProkaryote I pronounce the third word like uhh...pro-kar-ee-oat, to rhyme with boat. I know this is a legit scientific word and I could look up the proper pronunciation but I haven't, so.

@Felpata_Lupin for a bonus round, I pronounce Chiara with the 'ch' in 'church', so: chee-ah-rah. 

What other weird brain sounds do you have that probably do not approach anything sensible?

I know my name is pretty easy so it probably doesn't need to be said but Erica is pronounced just like it is in America :P

As for @lllb it's actually short for longlivelunabellatrix at least I'm pretty sure it is.

Felpata_Lupin

This is getting more and more confusing for me :roflol:Is there a way we can register our names so that we know the right sound? :P

Anyway, I think I pronounce Lotte right(-ish) and the 'e' in Eva for me is similar to the 'mend' or 'send' sound Lotte mentioned, maybe slightly sweeter? (I'm clearly going crazy here...)

I'm not 100% sure how Kiara sounds, but I think it might be close enough. And I remember Lotte's pronunciation in that GCA video to be quite right? (Now I want to rewatch it and check :whistling:)

Why do I always ramble too much, anyway? I'll shut up now. Promise. Bye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ineke

I know there are sites for it! I'll look it up when I'm home because I can't find a site quickly enough which does have a good pronounciation for Ineke, but it might differ on the site, really.

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree
12 minutes ago, Felpata_Lupin said:

the 'e' in Eva for me is similar to the 'mend' or 'send' sound Lotte mentioned, maybe slightly sweeter?

yeah! that's pretty much it.

I've never really considered this thread's question before, because I've always been like, "Well, as long as I get the spelling right, it's going to be the same name no matter how I pronounce it," but this is a super interesting topic.

@Felpata_Lupin I don't know how to describe this in the most translatable way, because you're Italian and I'm American, so, uh. Is your name pronounced like key-aw-ruh (with the "ruh" sounding like the beginning of "rust")?

Felpata_Lupin
12 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

@Felpata_Lupin I don't know how to describe this in the most translatable way, because you're Italian and I'm American, so, uh. Is your name pronounced like key-aw-ruh (with the "ruh" sounding like the beginning of "rust")?

I think more key-ah-ruh... wait, I can link YouTube,  right?

It's not the perfect sound, but very close

• Like 1

Ineke

Yeah that reminds me of Kiara, but more with a tsk sound? But if it's not perfect so eh yeah.

In any case! Here is a wiktionary with a perfect audio pronounciation of my name!

• Like 4

Felpata_Lupin
23 minutes ago, Ineke said:

Yeah that reminds me of Kiara, but more with a tsk sound? But if it's not perfect so eh yeah.

In any case! Here is a wiktionary with a perfect audio pronounciation of my name!

I pronounced it almost right, just with the accent in the wrong place :P

BellaLestrange87
24 minutes ago, Ineke said:

That's how you pronounce it? I've been saying it horribly wrong for two years :$

Recent Badges

Ineke

That's how you pronounce it :P

• Like 1

victoria_anne

I don’t think anyone has trouble with any of my names (or even my character’s names for that matter) but I find this thread very entertaining :P 

• Like 3

facingthenorthwind
7 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

What are the three ways? I've been saying Ee-vuh, first syllable rhymes with bee and the second is a schwa. 

Recent Badges

just.a.willow.tree
41 minutes ago, facingthenorthwind said:

What are the three ways? I've been saying Ee-vuh, first syllable rhymes with bee and the second is a schwa. 

1. The way you described. It's like how Eve from Wall-E pronounces her name. :P

2. Like "Ava." A-vuh, with the first syllable sounding like the letter "A."

3. How mine is pronounced, with the E similar to how it's pronounced in "send."

• Like 1

PaulaTheProkaryote

Yeah tbh I've been saying most of your names wrong for years. Sorry for the all the videos I've jacked. Also there's a lot of you that I know your names, but I'll still refer to you as some variation of your username. Ineke, I've tried to correct the pronunciation like five times and I think I even told Deana a different one but it's been like ah-ne-kah. I SWEAR SOMEONE ELSE TOLD ME THAT WAS HOW IT WAS. I'll do better though. Someone a while ago told me that they never actually paid any attention to the prokaryote part of my name and had been calling me something different for years (paulatheprocrastinator?) but I can't remember who (this can be a call out post if they remember this conversation :P)

• Like 1

Recent Badges

victoria_anne

@PaulaTheProkaryote I learned the pronunciation of yours after listening to the stories you podcasted ^_^

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree

@PaulaTheProkaryote I knew the pronunciation of yours because of 9th grade biology class. :P 

• Like 2

GinnyPotter242

Tbh when I don't know how to say a name or a word when I'm reading in my head, I just kinda keyboard smash in my head lol, if that makes sense. This thread is interesting, since now I actually know how to say people's names!

My username...I mean, I think that's obvious! My name is pretty simple too, Sara, but I do know people in England pronounce it differently than in America- It's still pronounced like Sarah (s-air-uh) which confuses the heck out of some of my UK friends :roflol:

• Like 1

Felpata_Lupin

@PaulaTheProkaryote I'm afraid your username is one that I will always pronounce wrong, even if I (now) know how it's supposed to be said. :P And I mean the Paula part, too... just like Laura, I pronounce it with the au sounding like... (okay, I don't know how to do this) ah-oo(?)

Another thing this crazy Italian does (just occurred to me and I thought I'd share) is reading numbers in Italian rather than in English. So, for example, @dreamgazer220 is dreamgazer duecentoventi for me, rather than dreamgazer two hundred twenty (or two-two-zero? Two-two-oh?) Conversely, for @800 words of heaven I will say eight hundred, because that's part of the sentence... if this makes sense?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TidalDragon

Though neither my username nor my real name are confusing, I too am really enjoying this thread! xD

I'll also add that if you watch some of our vids you'll get to hear some people pronounce their own names! I'm pretty sure @LadyL8 (Lotte) and @Ineke are examples there. Plus you also get bonus pronunciation material on folks not on video like @nott theodore (Sian). And it even extends to the more challenging usernames themselves, including the often confounding @Dojh167, which FTR, I totally nailed from day one (1). :P

• Like 3

facingthenorthwind
1 hour ago, Felpata_Lupin said:

@PaulaTheProkaryote I'm afraid your username is one that I will always pronounce wrong, even if I (now) know how it's supposed to be said. :P And I mean the Paula part, too... just like Laura, I pronounce it with the au sounding like... (okay, I don't know how to do this) ah-oo(?)

Another thing this crazy Italian does (just occurred to me and I thought I'd share) is reading numbers in Italian rather than in English. So, for example, @dreamgazer220 is dreamgazer duecentoventi for me, rather than dreamgazer two hundred twenty (or two-two-zero? Two-two-oh?) Conversely, for @800 words of heaven I will say eight hundred, because that's part of the sentence... if this makes sense?

I assume the "au" in Paula in your head rhymes with cow? If that helps with your attempt to explain at all? I love the idea of you using English for 800 but Italian for 220, it's very good.

I just tried to pronounce @Dojh167 and I said dodge one six seven (like, the word dodge, not some weird transliteration attempt)

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin
16 minutes ago, facingthenorthwind said:

I assume the "au" in Paula in your head rhymes with cow? If that helps with your attempt to explain at all?

Yes, exactly like cow! :P