Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • See the May Bulletin for archive rule/advisory changes.
  • See our badges forum for more details about our new badges system!
  • The Review Transfer Tool is now ready for use.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

May Bulletin   05/01/2018

May's bulletin is up, with all kinds of interesting information (including a tool to mass transfer all reviews you received on HPFF to HPFT's archive). You can check it out +here.
    • toomanycurls

Annual Member Survey   05/09/2018

Please take a moment to fill out the annual member survey before May 31st.  
facingthenorthwind

How do you pronounce people's usernames?

Dojh167
2 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:

I just tried to pronounce @Dojh167 and I said dodge one six seven (like, the word dodge, not some weird transliteration attempt)

lol @TidalDragon I was wondering when I would come up in this thread xD I always giggle when people just settle with calling me Sam in staff videos 

Dojh is something I made up when messing around with a friend in seventh grade (I've been part of this community a long time) so I never really hold people to a high standard of pronunciation, but for what it's worth I pronounce it kinda like some people pronounce "doge" (which apparently has more hotly debated pronounciation than I anticipated), with the final consonant having more of a zh sound like in the word beige, so "doh-zh"

I also say the numbers individually as "one six seven"

• Haha 1

PaulaTheProkaryote

@facingthenorthwind and @Felpata_Lupin I have a close friend who is El Salvadorian and she pronounces my name like that as well. Like the name Paola. :D It's close enough. Sam, for some reason when I first saw your username back in the day I pronounced it like Dodge? I have no idea. It became Doge like the meme though. 

• Like 2

Recent Badges

Levana

@Dojh167 apparently your username is like pretty much the only name I've been saying correctly since I joined xD 

also @facingthenorthwind that's how I've been pronouncing my username? I say it like Luh von (like an on sound?) nuh . If that makes sense? I'm so bad with phonetics; is that long a or short? :S 

Recent Badges

TidalDragon
On 4/7/2018 at 12:33 PM, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

It became Doge like the meme though. 

Just leaving this here...

dojh167_doge_meme.png

• Haha 5

VaguelyCreativeName

This thread is fantastic!xD

On 7.4.2018 at 6:33 PM, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

It became Doge like the meme though.

Incidentally, how do you pronounce the meme? Cause I've been saying it [dəʊg] (kinda like dough, but with a g? the vowel's the same as in the British pronunciation of stone), which is not how I pronounce Dojh at all? Like, I use the same vowel sound for Dojh, but I say the jh like the dge in judge.

I am very confused nowo.O

TidalDragon

It's like you pronounce it. Doh-dge. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

dirigibleplums
On 07/04/2018 at 12:31 AM, just.a.willow.tree said:

3. How mine is pronounced, with the E similar to how it's pronounced in "send."

oooh wait so the way you pronounce it is the same as the character in skam? (i did discuss skam with you, right? :P)

@Dojh167 I PRONOUNCED IT RIGHT FROM DAY ONE I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF OMG

@PaulaTheProkaryote i studied bio at a level so i actually knew yours, but our accents mean we say the end a bit differently. i've noticed you (and the example) say yote as in oat while i've always said prokary-yuht. Idk if that's come across right haha

my username is pretty easy to say methinks. i think i remember branwen stressing it in the nargles announcement differently to me? sort of like dir-rig-ible plums whereas i sort of say dir-rigible plums. that's another rubbish explanation but i can't really explain it 😂

• Like 1

beyond the rain

Because I love Camila Cabello's Havana, i pronounce @Levana's name as follows: 

Levana-ooh na-na 

(100% true) 

• Haha 4

Recent Badges

just.a.willow.tree
23 hours ago, dirigibleplums said:

oooh wait so the way you pronounce it is the same as the character in skam? (i did discuss skam with you, right? :P)

yeah! except without the beautiful Norwegian accent, but yes :P

Rainbow-tui

Out of curiousity, how would people pronounce Whangamata?

teh tarik
16 hours ago, Rainbow-tui said:

Out of curiousity, how would people pronounce Whangamata?

fa-nga-ma-TA? Emphasis on the TA?

that's what it sounds like to me when people pronounce. :P

Rainbow-tui

Teh tarik, your pronunciation is correct, reason being Whangamata isn't English, it's Māori, so wh is f .etc  So I say fa-ngA-ma-ta. Thank you all for indulging my curiousity. 

My secret, not-secret, burning question that I'm too shy to ask (in person) is: where people think I'm from going by my accent.

Rainbow-tui
On 4/10/2018 at 8:48 AM, VaguelyCreativeName said:

This thread is fantastic!xD

Incidentally, how do you pronounce the meme? Cause I've been saying it [dəʊg] (kinda like dough, but with a g? the vowel's the same as in the British pronunciation of stone), which is not how I pronounce Dojh at all? Like, I use the same vowel sound for Dojh, but I say the jh like the dge in judge.

I am very confused nowo.O

How does Dojh-dough-doug-stone....? Doug and stone? Dohne? Stone like scone? Doug like John Donne? I'm perplexed, I read it as dodge with a silent h, alternatively Dojh167, like Dojhibt. Having said all this, I pronounced Hermione's name wrong until I saw the first movie...

facingthenorthwind
1 hour ago, Rainbow-tui said:

Teh tarik, your pronunciation is correct, reason being Whangamata isn't English, it's Māori, so wh is f .etc  So I say fa-ngA-ma-ta. Thank you all for indulging my curiousity. 

My secret, not-secret, burning question that I'm too shy to ask (in person) is: where people think I'm from going by my accent.

Well going by your Internet Accent, aka the fact that I saw you post in a comment a little while back about translating a sentence into Māori, I'm going to assume you hail from That One Country Across The Tasman.

(i was extremely proud of myself when I was watching a doco for class the other day and they weren't translating the Māori words so I had to search them and I successfully spelled whenua. It's a start.)

Recent Badges

ShazaLupin
On 07/04/2018 at 4:33 AM, GinnyPotter242 said:

Tbh when I don't know how to say a name or a word when I'm reading in my head, I just kinda keyboard smash in my head lol, if that makes sense. This thread is interesting, since now I actually know how to say people's names!

My username...I mean, I think that's obvious! My name is pretty simple too, Sara, but I do know people in England pronounce it differently than in America- It's still pronounced like Sarah (s-air-uh) which confuses the heck out of some of my UK friends :roflol:

I noticed this too, with Uk vs US pronunciation of Shaza. I feel like the syllables get stressed in different places depending on whose saying it, but I think it’s fairly easy to pronounce either way :P

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind
9 minutes ago, ShazaLupin said:

I noticed this too, with Uk vs US pronunciation of Shaza. I feel like the syllables get stressed in different places depending on whose saying it, but I think it’s fairly easy to pronounce either way :P

Is it like....Bazza? Like Baz Luhrmann but with an -uh on the end? I mean, obviously Shaza would have a Sh instead of a B. first syllable stressed, sha-rhymes-with-bad, zuh?

Recent Badges

just.a.willow.tree
2 hours ago, ShazaLupin said:

I've always been pronouncing it closer to Shaw-zuh instead of the first syllable's A sounding like in "pat." Is that wrong? :P

Rainbow-tui
19 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:

Well going by your Internet Accent, aka the fact that I saw you post in a comment a little while back about translating a sentence into Māori, I'm going to assume you hail from That One Country Across The Tasman.

(i was extremely proud of myself when I was watching a doco for class the other day and they weren't translating the Māori words so I had to search them and I successfully spelled whenua. It's a start.)

So you're an Aussie! What doco were you watching? Good job on whenua, if you're interested its not too hard to find English-Māori dictionaries and stuff online, I imagine it would be a much greater challenge learning one of the Aboriginal languages. 

Online it is easier to guess where I'm from, my actual in-person accent makes most people ask if I'm from a country I've never been to, hence my curiousity.

ShazaLupin
21 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:

Is it like....Bazza? Like Baz Luhrmann but with an -uh on the end? I mean, obviously Shaza would have a Sh instead of a B. first syllable stressed, sha-rhymes-with-bad, zuh?

18 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I've always been pronouncing it closer to Shaw-zuh instead of the first syllable's A sounding like in "pat." Is that wrong? :P

I pronounce it with the first A stressed, but I don’t think it’s wrong, I think it’s just an accent thing 

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind
48 minutes ago, ShazaLupin said:

I pronounce it with the first A stressed, but I don’t think it’s wrong, I think it’s just an accent thing 

The very first line of this ad is how I'm saying it, except obviously Shazza instead of Gazza.

Recent Badges

victoria_anne

Dear Lord my pronunciation was way off with that word. Excuse me, my Australian is showing :$

Rainbow-tui

So like Shah-za? At least that's how I read it.