Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
just.a.willow.tree

Rare Pairs

just.a.willow.tree

I tried titling this a number of things before deciding that perhaps just naming it with the actual subject matter was smartest.

On a more relevant note, I do think it would be better to discuss (and loudly advocate for) our rare pairs in a separate thread, instead of posting an individual topic for each rare pair. Let rare pair shippers support one another in our lonely plight! Just post below, and feel free to either comment on other people's rare pairs, or make a case for your own.

There is no judgment here. I shall begin.

Susan Bones/Hannah Abbott: This happened because I read When I Go Out With You by @Dojh167, and, I mean. Enough said. But it makes sense! We know that these two were good friends (or more than that, who knows) during Hogwarts, because they attended the DA meetings together and they're both Puffs. And perhaps I'm swayed by Sam's interpretation, but I can totally see Hannah as a warm, adorable, incredibly sweet individual, and she gradually begins exploring her identity as she grows older. While Susan, on the other hand, has a more solidified sense of who she is and what she likes. And the two young women teach each other different things about love. (Who am I kidding, this all comes directly from Sam.)

Cho Chang/Pansy Parkinson: Uhh. I don't believe I've seen a fic for these two anywhere, so I really have no idea where this ship came from, but my brain won't let go of it. So here we are. I headcanon that Cho is ridiculously creative and imaginative and super in touch with her feelings. She's a very emotional person, and has like an ocean's worth of tears ready to be used at any given moment: tears of joy, anger, sadness, etc. Meanwhile, Pansy, being raised in a Pureblood family, has grown up to be reserved and cold, and so the first time she meets Cho outside of Hogwarts, she's like, "What is this (actually kinda smoking hot) girl doing smiling." And shenanigans ensue, which I hope to put in a fic one day, and they fall in love and the world is happy.

I have more, but I should really just end it here. :P

What are your rare pairs?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PaulaTheProkaryote

Oooh I love rare pairs! Also I'm pumped that you're also a Cho shipper! I like her with Hermione and Ginny usually though. I never considered her with Pansy!

I'm trying to think of some of my favorites, but tbh if I haven't read it I'll usually click and then binge! Fleur Delacour/Ginny Weasley, Sirius Black/Dorcas Meadowes, Dorcas Meadowes/Marlene McKinnon, Regulus Black/Marlene McKinnon are some of my favorites. What archives lack, tumblr has provided thankfully. <3 I'm just really in love with Dorcas Meadowes so she gets paired with everyone. 

• Like 2

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin

First of all... Eva, thank you for posting this because I've been fighting with myself if I should or shouldn't start a Remus/Peter thread and you pulled me out of the dilemma here :P

8 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Susan Bones/Hannah Abbott: This happened because I read When I Go Out With You by @Dojh167, and, I mean. Enough said. But it makes sense! We know that these two were good friends (or more than that, who knows) during Hogwarts, because they attended the DA meetings together and they're both Puffs. And perhaps I'm swayed by Sam's interpretation, but I can totally see Hannah as a warm, adorable, incredibly sweet individual, and she gradually begins exploring her identity as she grows older. While Susan, on the other hand, has a more solidified sense of who she is and what she likes. And the two young women teach each other different things about love. (Who am I kidding, this all comes directly from Sam.)

I'm so with you on this! I love Hannah/Susan in Sam's interpretation, and I've definitely inherited the headcanon of Hannah being the soft and sweet and a bit unsecure one, while Susan is more volitive and self-aware. (This reminds me that I really need to go on with the reading of When I Go Out With You... I'm so bad...)

That said, I also love your interpretation of Susan as the warm ray of sunshine in your Susan/Astoria stories :wub:  

And Cho/Pansy the way you present it sounds super interesting, too!

@PaulaTheProkaryote since you are a Dorcas lover... how do you see Dorcas/Remus? (Totally not trying to sell out Liar here... :whistling:) I have actually two contrasting interpretations for Dorcas. One where Dorcas is the same age of the Marauders, and in that case I love her with Remus for some reason (I blame a fic I read on HPFF, actually) and the other where Dorcas is much older and was in a relationship with Minerva McGonagall. I can't choose one over the other.

But back to Sirius business... I was here to talk about my OTP... :couch:

Remus Lupin/Peter Pettigrew: I know there aren't many people who would even consider this a possibility (I didn't, before my muse decided it was a good idea) but see it this way. We know that James and Sirius were best friends, that they had a stronger bond inside the Marauders group, so it would be only natural for Remus and Peter to grow closer as well, especially since they are much quieter and would probably feel more comfortable in each other's company (I bet James and Sirius might get overwhelming at times... :P)

Peter falling for Remus is something that I can totally see happening. First of all, Remus is the most adorable creature ever existed (I dare you to claim the opposite); second he would be extremely protective of Peter and I think safety is exactly what Peter would look for in a romantic partner; and third, Peter would admire Remus for his morals and his compassion, he would totally see him as his role model.

The other way is maybe a bit less obvious, but still a definitive possibility. We know from the way his relationship with Tonks evolved that Remus is very insecure when it comes to romantic relationships (actually, if we assume a Peter/Remus relationship back in school days, that might be the cause rather than the effect, but maybe it's half and half... anyway...) It makes complete sense for him that love would come from a well assessed friendship, with an already established bond of affection and reciprocal trust. Peter has been a constant presence in his life, has put himself in great danger already for him (remember the Animagi thing?) and he's also this quiet and fragile thing that Remus would want to keep safe (because in my head Remus is that kind of person). And Remus needs love, even if he will deny it till his lasy breath, and I can totally see his friendship with Peter transforming (very slowly) into something else.

That said, I don't think they could work as a couple in the long run, because they both need someone stronger on the other side to balance their own insecurities, but I think they would have a sweet relationship till it lasts. And that their feelings for each other will always be there, despite any heartbreak that might occur between them. (That's how Liar went, at least...)

• Like 3

TidalDragon
Posted (edited)

It seems our Rare Pair threads don't get much play outside of HC events, so I think this thread is a great place to centralize them!

My numero uno has to be Harry Potter/Katie Bell which I have affectionately dubbed SeekerBell.

For me, Harry and Katie share three (3) critical things: values, experiences, and interests. Both are Gryffindors who also share a willingness to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. Though Harry's examples are more obvious, Katie shows that she will put herself to the side with her approach to Quidditch tryouts in HBP and to, I think, a pretty strong extent in actually coming back to Hogwarts to fight. They both enjoy Quidditch and, as Harry's longest-running teammate they'd share a lot of memories there, including ones we don't get to see in the book. Of course they both share the experience of fighting in and living through a war and though it's not on the level of Harry's, she experienced a pretty awful individual, personal experience through the cursed necklace incident.

Perhaps most importantly if you're comparing prospective matches, I think she adds the plus that she'd be a calmer, more stabilizing foil to Harry than someone like Ginny - which is something Harry needs IMO.

Another one (1) I'd like to explore more - perhaps by expanding the one-shot of them I've already written is Emmeline Vance/Hestia Jones.

Though this is only going to end in tragedy (if we keep it canonical), I see their relationship starting out as a mentor/mentee, then progressing to friendship before romance - which would happen during the War. Though there's unquestionably an age gap, I can see that being a comforting thing in a number of respects, with Emmeline's previous wartime experience giving her emotional perspective and Hestia's comparative youth and commitment to the cause reminding Emmeline that even there's cause for positivity and hope.

Huzzah Rare Pairs!

Edited by TidalDragon
  • Like 2

PaulaTheProkaryote

I've never read a Dorcas/Remus, but I think I'd love it! Remus is one of my all time favorite characters! I didn't know that you had a Dorcas fic or I would have already been there! I love her around the Marauder's Era, but I can definitely see her and McGonagall together! 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin
6 minutes ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

I've never read a Dorcas/Remus, but I think I'd love it! Remus is one of my all time favorite characters! I didn't know that you had a Dorcas fic or I would have already been there! I love her around the Marauder's Era, but I can definitely see her and McGonagall together! 

:couch: Liar is more focused on Remus/Peter than Remus/Dorcas, but the second ship has a quite important role, too. I only rapidly mentioned Dorcas/Minnie in The memories in you biscuits, but it's a ship I would really like to explore more.

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree
4 hours ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

I'm trying to think of some of my favorites, but tbh if I haven't read it I'll usually click and then binge! Fleur Delacour/Ginny Weasley, Sirius Black/Dorcas Meadowes, Dorcas Meadowes/Marlene McKinnon, Regulus Black/Marlene McKinnon are some of my favorites. What archives lack, tumblr has provided thankfully. <3 I'm just really in love with Dorcas Meadowes so she gets paired with everyone. 

All of these sound so great and amazing and FLEUR/GINNY OMG HOW HAVE I NOT CONSIDERED THIS BEFORE. Dorcas Meadowes is one of my favorites to read about too (p.s. if you know of any fics/drabbles/anything please share with the rest of us!)

27 minutes ago, Felpata_Lupin said:

That said, I don't think they could work as a couple in the long run, because they both need someone stronger on the other side to balance their own insecurities, but I think they would have a sweet relationship till it lasts. And that their feelings for each other will always be there, despite any heartbreak that might occur between them. (That's how Liar went, at least...)

Liar is pretty much my go-to story in how Peter and Remus's relationship plays out. :wub: I love all your headcanons on these two!

15 minutes ago, TidalDragon said:

My numero uno has to be Harry Potter/Katie Bell which I have affectionately dubbed SeekerBell.

First of all, SeekerBell is a fantastic ship name. Second of all, there is something so compelling about these two, like even before I read your fic, I was considering the ship and thinking, "...These two would look great together, and be great together." :P (Though I gotta admit, I'm a multishipper so I also ship Harry/Ginny. I think though Katie and Ginny are very different, they each have their own characteristics that would bring out the best in Harry and make him happy.)

Also I can't believe I completely forgot Harry/Luna/Ginny. I mean, it's pretty much canon that Ginny made out with Luna at some point, and in the last few books of the series, Harry really began to appreciate Luna's honesty and idiosyncrasies, so I love this ship :wub: 

• Like 4

facingthenorthwind
Posted (edited)

Pansy Parkinson/Penelope Clearwater: In my sprawling AU that I haven't written yet, I have a whole plotline where Rita Skeeter tries to discredit Pansy Parkinson and Penelope Clearwater's campaigning for prison reform by ~outing them as LESBIANS. WITH EACH OTHER. they of course are like "...yes? and?" because they were not at all hiding it, Skeeter just assumed it would be shameful. I have not seriously put thought into how Pansy/Penelope works, tbh, but I imagine Pansy post-war has to have a hard long look at herself/the company she keeps and I think actually that she and Penelope get into prison reform campaigning separately and then grudgingly work together and then........fall in love.

also, @just.a.willow.tree got me shipping Astoria Greengrass/Susan Bones so hard. Susan is just such a sunshine!! And Astoria wants the sun so bad!

It would be remiss of me not to mention Frank Longbottom/Narcissa Black which I uh have written multiple fics for. Narcissa wants to rebel a little bit, but she doesn't want to go the whole hog like Andromeda and get blasted off the family tree -- at least, not yet. Surely there's a way she can dip her toes in rebellion and see if the water's nice? And thus, enter Frank Longbottom: Gryffindor, blood traitor, but still on the Sacred Twenty-Eight. Of course, if we're going canon it ends in tragedy because she has to marry Malfoy (and I think it's always her ending it, never Frank), and her own sister then torturing Frank in 1981 is Extra Painful.

Sir Cadogan/The Fat Lady: I wrote the first chapter of a fic for this, and while I have no idea what was going to happen in it, and also the fic is a mess because it was 2008 and I was a baby, I'm still weirdly attached to the ship. She would find him infuriating at first, of course, but he would have to learn to mellow out before he won her heart.

EDIT: HANG ON @just.a.willow.tree, when did we get the impression that Ginny and Luna pashed?? Like I know obviously it didn't *really* happen in canon bc JKR is the worst but [chinhands] oh boy would I be receptive to a ship manifesto.

Edited by facingthenorthwind
ginny/luna is the thing i never knew i needed
  • Like 2

just.a.willow.tree

@facingthenorthwind Literally all of your ships give me so much joy, but I'm especially in love with the Pansy/Penelope one?? Like omg please write this ASAP because it sounds like the exact sort of story I would love. I can imagine it so well, and now I'm dying to read this :wub:

And Frank/Narcissa is so so interesting and your reasons for why they would get together make so much sense AHH.

Also I was half-joking about Ginny/Luna practically being canon :P It's just that Ginny and Luna were written as such good friends ("""friends""") to the point where I think it's almost unbelievable that they didn't kinda fall in love with each other in the process. Throughout the series, Ginny has never judged Luna the way others judge, and there's an entire seventh book where Ginny and Luna totally could have bonded even further while Harry was off destroying horcruxes.

beyond the rain

there's so many ships here that I'm interested in omg, especially frank and narcissa! 

personally, I don't ship ron x Hermione, so there's a few 'rare pairs' that explore ron being with someone else. 

My favourites being: 

ron x Katie 
ron x romilda

sometimes I wonder if Ron x Astoria would work too, but idk 

the rarest pair I've written is Bellatrix x Gideon, but there was no romance to that relationship whatsoever. If there was, it was completely one sided on Gideon's part. He pictured a world without war, and wondered if the woman he was sleeping with could be part of it...but in my head anyway, she couldn't. With the exception of Voldemort, I believe Bella uses everyone she comes into contact with and isn't capable of love. 

my other favourite rare pair is Petunia x Regulus. I've only ever seen it on tumblr, but I love what people have written. Two people angry about the hand they've been dealt in life, jealous of what others have that they can't. I mean it demands a stretch of the imagination, but this ship has so many feels! 

harry x muggle - Harry always wanted to be 'just harry', so I sometimes think he'd do great with someone who has no idea who he is - and a muggle might be his best bet. I always had a harry potter doctor who crossover idea, where Harry crosses paths with a weeping angel, and ends up somewhere entirely different in time, and settles down with a muggle who'd never even have an inkling about who he was - and that he'd revel in the idea that he could lie about his scar, and that he'd never have to feel famous again. 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin
1 hour ago, beyond the rain said:

my other favourite rare pair is Petunia x Regulus. I've only ever seen it on tumblr, but I love what people have written. Two people angry about the hand they've been dealt in life, jealous of what others have that they can't. I mean it demands a stretch of the imagination, but this ship has so many feels! 

Oh, Merlin! I actually started writing a Tuney/Reg once... I first had the idea after reading a fic by @Marauder Ladywhere Lily and Sirius joked about how perfect their siblings would be for each other... :P I meant my Tuney/Reg to be more of a parody, but then it sort of turned angsty and then I just didn't feel like finishing it... but I do love the idea of those two together! They are opposites, but so similar at the same time... it's such an interesting ship!

Also, this reminds me... @Crimson Quillhas a Petunia/James story that's absolutely lovely. It's a ship I would have never thought about but the way she presents it makes so much sense and it's just so sweet, too! :wub:

• Like 2

dirigibleplums

after much thought, i have realised i probably don't read many rare pairs haha 😛

the one i've read most fics of is hermione/tom riddle which yes, i know it's a crack pairing and a half, but it's so??? intriguing?? like it is fascinating to see how writers tap into hermione's darker sides to make her face tom and to see the more human (but still scarily manipulative) side of a young tmr. i can't remember which fic got me into it, but i do know that provocative envy wrote a huge bunch of au one shots plus a couple of multi-chapters that i binged.

envy has written a load of rare pairs tbh and whenever i delve into them, it's usually through her. ones i can remember off the top of my head are cormac/pansy, cormac/luna and harry/pansy. tbh i feel like pansy is a really interesting character to explore when it comes to relationships; i once wrote ron/pansy for a challenge and later wrote a pansy/daphne one shot myself :)

i'm not sure how rare it is bc i see it all over my tumblr but i also quite like marcus flint/oliver wood? their dynamic can be v interesting to say the least 😜

• Like 1

sunshine_locks

i think i like to read harry potter/pansy parkinson and ron weasley/pansy parkinson, basically the whole golden trio with pansy parkinson. i blame provocative-envy.

• Like 2

just.a.willow.tree
On 4/9/2018 at 2:11 PM, dirigibleplums said:

the one i've read most fics of is hermione/tom riddle which yes, i know it's a crack pairing and a half, but it's so??? intriguing?? like it is fascinating to see how writers tap into hermione's darker sides to make her face tom and to see the more human (but still scarily manipulative) side of a young tmr. i can't remember which fic got me into it, but i do know that provocative envy wrote a huge bunch of au one shots plus a couple of multi-chapters that i binged.

I need to check out provocative envy's writing, then! Because these sound so interesting. :wub: Like I don't think I'm ever going to ship-ship Hermione/Tom Riddle (I can't ship Voldemort with anyone realistically haha) but seeing their dynamic's always going to be really, really cool.

Though I gotta be honest, I've never considered Ron/Pansy or Harry/Pansy to be rare pairs. :P They usually go hand-in-hand with Dramione fics, so I've seen a lot haha.

dirigibleplums
1 hour ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Though I gotta be honest, I've never considered Ron/Pansy or Harry/Pansy to be rare pairs. :P They usually go hand-in-hand with Dramione fics, so I've seen a lot haha.

True 😛

I think the rarest of pairs I've ever read was this time travel fic where Harry ended up with Merope. It was v interesting actually

dreamgazer220
On 4/7/2018 at 2:47 AM, facingthenorthwind said:

also, @just.a.willow.tree got me shipping Astoria Greengrass/Susan Bones so hard. Susan is just such a sunshine!! And Astoria wants the sun so bad!

Yes, this. It was a pairing I didn't even know I needed in my life until I read two of Eva's fics with them, and I just adore them so much.

I am also a fan of @Felpata_Lupin's Peter and Remus. Peter almost never gets any kind of ship, and I love the way Chiara writes them so beautifully and so tragically. And yes, this is shamelessly promoting Liar, so if you haven't read it, go do so now.

Of course, I can't come to a rare pair thread and not squeal about my own OTP, Ginny / Seamus.  I wrote a collection of one-shots with them a few years back, and even had a novella started with them about their year at Hogwarts during the Carrow's reign.  Honestly, this pairing started in a RPG with one of my friends because neither of us wanted Ginny with Harry or Dean, so we decided to go with Seamus, and that's where my head canon for him was born.  And for me, their relationship really didn't blossom until book 7, when Dean's on the run and Harry's off hunting Horcruxes. They lean on each other and share the burden of trying to help the younger students, and they team up with Neville as well and the three of them have a really strong friendship. But Ginny and Seamus have a lot of similar qualities that I think makes them fit well together. Seamus has a sense of humor, but is willing to fight and take risks, which we see a little bit in book 7 in canon. Ginny's a fighter, and I think she really believes that Seamus is stronger than he gives himself credit for.  I do think the whole Seamus not believing Harry and siding with his ma in book 5 is a huge issue for them, but considering the fact that Seamus stays and fights in book 7, it turns them around.

Despite the fact that they're my OTP, in my head canon, they don't last. Eventually Seamus ends up with Dean and Ginny goes back to Harry, but they still have a pretty significant relationship in book 7 + for a while after the war. 

• Like 2

just.a.willow.tree

@dreamgazer220 I need to read your Ginny/Seamus fics! They sound amazing :wub: 

What are all of you guys' ship names? Maggie [@Levana] helped me come up with one for Astoria/Susan (I say 'helped' but she really came up with this all on her own): Sutoria. A few variations may be Sustoria, Susoria, etc. Whichever floats your boat. :P

But tbh I don't think anything can top SeekerBell, that has to be my favorite ship name of all time.

• Like 1

Crimson Quill

@just.a.willow.tree my rare pair/otp is Lavender Brown/Oliver Wood a.k.a Brood. (Credit to @AbraxanUnicorn for the name of that one!)

• Like 4

AbraxanUnicorn
4 hours ago, Crimson Quill said:

@just.a.willow.tree my rare pair/otp is Lavender Brown/Oliver Wood a.k.a Brood. (Credit to @AbraxanUnicorn for the name of that one!)

Really? I don't remember that o.O but thanks anyway! :hug:

My rare pair in-planning is Draco/Padma, just because I get to call them Drama and go puntastic on a title :$

• Like 5

MalfoysAngel
Posted (edited)

My rare pair is a toss up between Theodore Nott/Neville Longbottom and one I had to write for a challenge Hermione/Crabbe.

I read a Theo/Neville pairing in a Dramione and it was so believable that I now ship the pair when I can.

Edited by MalfoysAngel
Spell check fail

Rumpelstiltskin

I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to see a Narcissa Black x Lily Evans ship. [I SHIP THIS SO HARD AND I'VE YET TO READ A FIC ABOUT IT!]  I think I had a brief twitter conversation with Dojh167 after I read the Lily Evans x Marlene McKinnon fic, XOXO [which was glorious, and another rare-pair that I can't get out of my head]. I just have this headcanon that Narcissa and Lily have this hot summer fling [on Holiday somewhere...like Paris] and then they move on with their lives, but never really forget about that summer and they're always on the back of each other's minds.

I'm also in whole-hearted agreeance with everyone about the Hannah Abbot x Susan Bones ship after reading When I Go Out With You . Sam actual changed my entire way of thinking about relationships and how they "should" be. MINDBLOWN.

Alice Prewett x Lucinda Talkalot -- I briefly covered this in a hastily-written one-shot that needs a lot of work, but something about the two never really leave my mind. Alice and Lucy are in this kind of hidden, forbidden romance that doesn't end well for either of them. 

Cho Chang x Luna Lovegood -- Once again, I've never really read anything on Cho/Luna, but I really would love to see what people could do with this. I think the pair could balance each other nicely and challenge one another based on their individual personalities. Like, fabulously epic await this pair, I can see it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just.a.willow.tree

@Rumpelstiltskin Okay so every ship you just listed is pure gold so here is my official request that you write them please please please :rose:(I am especially in love with the idea of Lily/Narcissa because omg I never would've thought of that but it's so good)

• Like 2