Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
facingthenorthwind

Areas of Expertise

facingthenorthwind
Posted (edited)

Much like the languages thread, I thought perhaps it would be useful to have a thread of topics that people are happy to be PM'd about? Stuff that you know more than perhaps the average Joe Bloggs and are happy to share that knowledge.

I'm not sure how to structure the list, though.

facingthenorthwind: Judaism, Wizard Religion, Australia, World War I

EDIT: Great topic! I think organizing alphabetically by username as suggested below is a good idea for now, particularly as I imagine the list of topics will become expansive. I've just reformatted so that only usernames are bold and thus usernames and areas can be more easily differentiated. If we really start to stack up on loads of areas we may switch to an area-based listing, but let's wait and see. :) 

Edited by TidalDragon
Formatting
  • Like 1

scooterbug8515
Posted (edited)

I kind of love this idea!  I think for now it might work to do names alphabetically and people can ctrl+f for subject matter.

facingthenorthwind: Judaism, Wizard Religion, Australia, World War I
scooterbug8515: Firbomyalgia, Multiple sclerosis (MS), Education, coffee

Edited by TidalDragon
Match formatting

beyond the rain
Posted (edited)

I honestly have no idea how useful I could be, but here's a few topics I know a lot about.

beyond the rain: 60s Britain, Judy Garland, Anxiety, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Jack The Ripper, Britishisms, Northern-isms (UK)

Edited by TidalDragon
Match formatting

Recent Badges

TidalDragon

beyond the rain: 60s Britain, Judy Garland, Anxiety, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Jack The Ripper, Britishisms, Northern-isms (UK)
TidalDragon: Accents (US), Copyright, Epilepsy, Law (US), Legal Documents and Systems, Southern Slang (US), Trademark

Margaret

Margaret: Ireland, Irish history, Irish politics, Teaching, Brehon Law
TidalDragon: Accents (US), Copyright, Epilepsy, Law (US), Legal Documents and Systems, Southern Slang (US), Trademark

just.a.willow.tree

just.a.willow.tree: Classical Music, Classical Composers, Chinese Traditions and Culture, Genocides

Margaret: Ireland, Irish History, Irish Politics, Teaching, Brehon Law
scooterbug8515: Firbomyalgia, Multiple sclerosis (MS), Education, Coffee

Felpata_Lupin

Felpata_Lupin: Maths, dancing, Opera (not really an expert but I've seen a few), Italy (food, traditions, places to go, a bit of history... did I say food?)
just.a.willow.tree: Classical Music, Classical Composers, Chinese Traditions and Culture, Genocides

TidalDragon: Accents (US), Copyright, Epilepsy, Law (US), Legal Documents and Systems, Southern Slang (US), Trademark

Side note: did anyone else notice how @facingthenorthwind is starting all the most popular threads?

• Like 4

Levana

Felpata_Lupin: Maths, dancing, Opera (not really an expert but I've seen a few), Italy (food, traditions, places to go, a bit of history... did I say food?)

Levana: ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Copyright and Media Laws, Radio and Television Broadcasting, History of Radio and TV,  Editing (audio and visual), 
TidalDragon: Accents (US), Copyright, Epilepsy, Law (US), Legal Documents and Systems, Southern Slang (US), Trademark

Recent Badges

MuggleMaybe

Felpata_Lupin: Maths, dancing, Opera (not really an expert but I've seen a few), Italy (food, traditions, places to go, a bit of history... did I say food?)

Levana: ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Copyright and Media Laws, Radio and Television Broadcasting, History of Radio and TV,  Editing (audio and visual), 
MuggleMaybe: Depression, US culture (esp. midwest), teaching, linguistics, US school systems, Judaism, questioning/coming out, musical theater

forever_dreaming

forever_dreaming: Computer science/tech (including tech industry culture), rocks/minerals/geology in general, US history, Northeast US culture (especially in the Boston/NYC area), US West Coast culture (Bay Area, etc)

MuggleMaybe: Depression, US culture (esp. midwest), teaching, linguistics, US school systems, Judaism, questioning/coming out, musical theater

Jo Raskoph

forever_dreaming: Computer science/tech (including tech industry culture), rocks/minerals/geology in general, US history, Northeast US culture (especially in the Boston/NYC area), US West Coast culture (Bay Area, etc)
Jo Raskoph: German, Polyamory, Bisexuality (bi-erasure!),  Standard Ballroom and Equality Dance (training, technique, tournaments…)

Rumpelstiltskin
Posted (edited)

Jo Raskoph: German, Polyamory, Bisexuality (bi-erasure!),  Standard Ballroom and Equality Dance (training, technique, tournaments…)

Levana: ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Copyright and Media Laws, Radio and Television Broadcasting, History of Radio and TV,  Editing (audio and visual)

Rumpelstiltskin: Eating Disorders & Rehabilitation, Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Steampunk, Horror, Procrastination

Edited by TidalDragon
Match formatting

Leo

Jo Raskoph: German, Polyamory, Bisexuality (bi-erasure!),  Standard Ballroom and Equality Dance (training, technique, tournaments…)

Leo: Christianity (esp. Anglicanism/Church of England, church history, and theology), cathedrals, wizard religion and politics, civil&structural engineering, Oxbridge, choral singing, depression

Levana: ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Copyright and Media Laws, Radio and Television Broadcasting, History of Radio and TV,  Editing (audio and visual)

Rumpelstiltskin: Eating Disorders & Rehabilitation, Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Steampunk, Horror, Procrastination

facingthenorthwind

do you ever forget your own areas of expertise :ninjavanish: (I can't seem to get the background off the usernames?? why is this)

facingthenorthwind: Judaism, Wizard Religion, Australia, World War I, ADHD, Depression, Anxiety, Ice Hockey, Netball (a little)

Jo Raskoph: German, Polyamory, Bisexuality (bi-erasure!),  Standard Ballroom and Equality Dance (training, technique, tournaments…)

Leo: Christianity (esp. Anglicanism/Church of England, church history, and theology), cathedrals, wizard religion and politics, civil&structural engineering, Oxbridge, choral singing, depression

Rumpelstiltskin: Eating Disorders & Rehabilitation, Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Steampunk, Horror, Procrastination

sapphicsunrise

facingthenorthwind: Judaism, Wizard Religion, Australia, World War I, ADHD, Depression, Anxiety, Ice Hockey, Netball (a little)

sapphicsunrise: medieval history, esp. France, Holy Roman Empire, Byzantium, and the Papacy; history of Catholicism; ancient Greece and Rome; New Zealand history, geography and culture; academia and higher education; lgbtq+ history and identities; historiography and history as a discipline

Kerney
On 4/26/2018 at 7:20 AM, sapphicsunrise said:

sapphicsunrise: medieval history, esp. France, Holy Roman Empire, Byzantium, and the Papacy; history of Catholicism; ancient Greece and Rome; New Zealand history, geography and culture; academia and higher education; lgbtq+ history and identities; historiography and history as a discipline

Kerney:  Archeology and pre-history, Native American stuff (some regions), Viking era stuff, particularly myth and religious practices (read the Eddas), History in general but particularly US History, U.S. regions especially the West and Southwest, Ubering, working on the road, autism and the autism spectrum, emotional violence, depression, U.S. politics and politics in general.

Aphoride

Aphoride: UK law and legal system, NY law and legal system, French law and legal system (general stuff, mostly), asexuality, biromanticism, translation, London, UK education system, UK politics, football, ballet, cricket

beyond the rain: 60s Britain, Judy Garland, Anxiety, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Jack The Ripper, Britishisms, Northern-isms (UK)

facingthenorthwind: Judaism, Wizard Religion, Australia, World War I, ADHD, Depression, Anxiety, Ice Hockey, Netball (a little)

Felpata_Lupin: Maths, dancing, Opera (not really an expert but I've seen a few), Italy (food, traditions, places to go, a bit of history... did I say food?)

forever_dreaming: Computer science/tech (including tech industry culture), rocks/minerals/geology in general, US history, Northeast US culture (especially in the Boston/NYC area), US West Coast culture (Bay Area, etc)

Jo Raskoph: German, Polyamory, Bisexuality (bi-erasure!),  Standard Ballroom and Equality Dance (training, technique, tournaments…)

just.a.willow.tree: Classical Music, Classical Composers, Chinese Traditions and Culture, Genocides

Leo: Christianity (esp. Anglicanism/Church of England, church history, and theology), cathedrals, wizard religion and politics, civil&structural engineering, Oxbridge, choral singing, depression

Levana: ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Copyright and Media Laws, Radio and Television Broadcasting, History of Radio and TV,  Editing (audio and visual)

Margaret: Ireland, Irish History, Irish Politics, Teaching, Brehon Law

MuggleMaybe: Depression, US culture (esp. midwest), teaching, linguistics, US school systems, Judaism, questioning/coming out, musical theater

Rumpelstiltskin: Eating Disorders & Rehabilitation, Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Steampunk, Horror, Procrastination

scooterbug8515: Firbomyalgia, Multiple sclerosis (MS), Education, Coffee

Kerney:  Archeology and pre-history, Native American stuff (some regions), Viking era stuff, particularly myth and religious practices (read the Eddas), History in general but particularly US History, U.S. regions especially the West and Southwest, Ubering, working on the road, autism and the autism spectrum, emotional violence, depression, U.S. politics and politics in general.

forever_dreaming

Aphoride: UK law and legal system, NY law and legal system, French law and legal system (general stuff, mostly), asexuality, biromanticism, translation, London, UK education system, UK politics, football, ballet, cricket

forever_dreaming: Computer science/tech (including tech industry culture), rocks/minerals/geology in general, US history, Northeast US culture (especially in the Boston/NYC area), US West Coast culture (Bay Area, etc), Bollywood movies, Indian culture

Jo Raskoph: German, Polyamory, Bisexuality (bi-erasure!),  Standard Ballroom and Equality Dance (training, technique, tournaments…)

Levana: ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Copyright and Media Laws, Radio and Television Broadcasting, History of Radio and TV,  Editing (audio and visual)

sapphicsunrise: medieval history, esp. France, Holy Roman Empire, Byzantium, and the Papacy; history of Catholicism; ancient Greece and Rome; New Zealand history, geography and culture; academia and higher education; lgbtq+ history and identities; historiography and history as a discipline

Kerney:  Archeology and pre-history, Native American stuff (some regions), Viking era stuff, particularly myth and religious practices (read the Eddas), History in general but particularly US History, U.S. regions especially the West and Southwest, Ubering, working on the road, autism and the autism spectrum, emotional violence, depression, U.S. politics and politics in general.

starbuck

Aphoride: UK law and legal system, NY law and legal system, French law and legal system (general stuff, mostly), asexuality, biromanticism, translation, London, UK education system, UK politics, football, ballet, cricket

forever_dreaming: Computer science/tech (including tech industry culture), rocks/minerals/geology in general, US history, Northeast US culture (especially in the Boston/NYC area), US West Coast culture (Bay Area, etc), Bollywood movies, Indian culture

Jo Raskoph: German, Polyamory, Bisexuality (bi-erasure!),  Standard Ballroom and Equality Dance (training, technique, tournaments…)

Levana: ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Copyright and Media Laws, Radio and Television Broadcasting, History of Radio and TV,  Editing (audio and visual)

sapphicsunrisemedieval history, esp. France, Holy Roman Empire, Byzantium, and the Papacy; history of Catholicism; ancient Greece and Rome; New Zealand history, geography and culture; academia and higher education; lgbtq+ history and identities; historiography and history as a discipline

starbuck: Architecture and Urban Planning (both contemporary and through all the different historical eras)

Kerney:  Archeology and pre-history, Native American stuff (some regions), Viking era stuff, particularly myth and religious practices (read the Eddas), History in general but particularly US History, U.S. regions especially the West and Southwest, Ubering, working on the road, autism and the autism spectrum, emotional violence, depression, U.S. politics and politics in general.

FoxPatronus

I love this thread! What a great idea. I did a little bit of cleanup on this just to put things back in alphabetical order.

FoxPatronus: Medicine (especially veterinary but there is so much crossover that I can often answer human questions as well), zoology, osteology, bisexuality, sensory processing disorder, childbirth, breastfeeding, photography

sapphicsunrisemedieval history, esp. France, Holy Roman Empire, Byzantium, and the Papacy; history of Catholicism; ancient Greece and Rome; New Zealand history, geography and culture; academia and higher education; lgbtq+ history and identities; historiography and history as a discipline

scooterbug8515:  Firbomyalgia , Multiple sclerosis (MS), Education, Coffee

starbuck: Architecture and Urban Planning (both contemporary and through all the different historical eras)

• Like 1

Sleepingbagonthesofa

Aphoride: UK law and legal system, NY law and legal system, French law and legal system (general stuff, mostly), asexuality, biromanticism, translation, London, UK education system, UK politics, football, ballet, cricket

beyond the rain: 60s Britain, Judy Garland, Anxiety, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Jack The Ripper, Britishisms, Northern-isms (UK)

facingthenorthwind: Judaism, Wizard Religion, Australia, World War I, ADHD, Depression, Anxiety, Ice Hockey, Netball (a little)

FoxPatronus: Medicine (especially veterinary but there is so much crossover that I can often answer human questions as well), zoology, osteology, bisexuality, sensory processing disorder, childbirth, breastfeeding, photography

forever_dreaming: Computer science/tech (including tech industry culture), rocks/minerals/geology in general, US history, Northeast US culture (especially in the Boston/NYC area), US West Coast culture (Bay Area, etc), Bollywood movies, Indian culture

Jo Raskoph: German, Polyamory, Bisexuality (bi-erasure!), Standard Ballroom and Equality Dance (training, technique, tournaments…)

just.a.willow.tree: Classical Music, Classical Composers, Chinese Traditions and Culture, Genocides

Kerney: Archeology and pre-history, Native American stuff (some regions), Viking era stuff, particularly myth and religious practices (read the Eddas), History in general but particularly US History, U.S. regions especially the West and Southwest, Ubering, working on the road, autism and the autism spectrum, emotional violence, depression, U.S. politics and politics in general.

Leo: Christianity (esp. Anglicanism/Church of England, church history, and theology), cathedrals, wizard religion and politics, civil&structural engineering, Oxbridge, choral singing, depression

Levana: ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Copyright and Media Laws, Radio and Television Broadcasting, History of Radio and TV, Editing (audio and visual)

MuggleMaybe: Depression, US culture (esp. midwest), teaching, linguistics, US school systems, Judaism, questioning/coming out, musical theater

scooterbug8515: Firbomyalgia , Multiple sclerosis (MS), Education, Coffee

Sleepingbagonthesofa: Scotland, Accents and Slang (Scottish), Scottish History, UK and European History, Scottish Education System, Herbalism, Theatre (backstage and the production process included), Anxiety and Depression 

starbuck: Architecture and Urban Planning (both contemporary and through all the different historical eras)

tgfoy

FoxPatronus: Medicine (especially veterinary but there is so much crossover that I can often answer human questions as well), zoology, osteology, bisexuality, sensory processing disorder, childbirth, breastfeeding, photography

forever_dreaming: Computer science/tech (including tech industry culture), rocks/minerals/geology in general, US history, Northeast US culture (especially in the Boston/NYC area), US West Coast culture (Bay Area, etc), Bollywood movies, Indian culture

Jo Raskoph: German, Polyamory, Bisexuality (bi-erasure!), Standard Ballroom and Equality Dance (training, technique, tournaments…)

Kerney: Archeology and pre-history, Native American stuff (some regions), Viking era stuff, particularly myth and religious practices (read the Eddas), History in general but particularly US History, U.S. regions especially the West and Southwest, Ubering, working on the road, autism and the autism spectrum, emotional violence, depression, U.S. politics and politics in general.

Levana: ADHD, Anxiety, Dyslexia, Copyright and Media Laws, Radio and Television Broadcasting, History of Radio and TV, Editing (audio and visual)

Sleepingbagonthesofa: Scotland, Accents and Slang (Scottish), Scottish History, UK and European History, Scottish Education System, Herbalism, Theatre (backstage and the production process included), Anxiety and Depression 

Tgfoy:  Uk Archaeology (Specifically Anglo scandinavian/saxon and Norman periods, so about right for founders era Harry potter), Guilds (Gilds) and trading in regulated English Medieval cities,, Uk Steam locos and Railway terminology. North England locations History and terminology. Horticulture practice.

UnnamedMinorCharacter

Tgfoy:  Uk Archaeology (Specifically Anglo scandinavian/saxon and Norman periods, so about right for founders era Harry potter), Guilds (Gilds) and trading in regulated English Medieval cities,, Uk Steam locos and Railway terminology. North England locations History and terminology. Horticulture practice.

UnnamedMinorCharacter: Australian: history, education, slang, life in general, The (Christian) Bible, Abuse, Homelessness, Theology, Psychology, Dyslexia, Harry Potter

potionspartner

UnnamedMinorCharacter: Australian: history, education, slang, life in general, The (Christian) Bible, Abuse, Homelessness, Theology, Psychology, Dyslexia, Harry Potter

Potionspartner  US History, Teaching (focus on ages 5-10), US education system, gifted education, ADHD, autism, Christianity 

Recent Badges

MalfoysAngel

Aphoride: UK law and legal system, NY law and legal system, French law and legal system (general stuff, mostly), asexuality, biromanticism, translation, London, UK education system, UK politics, football, ballet, cricket

MalfoysAngel: Anything Texas (slang,  geography, lifestyle,  HS football, homecoming, etc. ), LDS faith, essential oils