Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Staff/prefect applications are open!
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
  • Claim your badges!
  • Check out the new emoji options.
facingthenorthwind

facingthenorthwind

facingthenorthwind

Hello! I am Emma! I can be found on both AO3 and HPFT, though my AO3 has all my fics and HPFT only my Harry Potter stuff. 

My main thing in fics is making All Your Faves Jewish, though I also fully intend to do an exploration of Wizarding Christianity's stance on the Nicean councils at some point. (I mean I say that but I suspect that would have an audience of zero, so. Who wants to go on an adventure of Gnostic and Arian heresies?)

When I'm not making all your faves Jewish, I am usually making them queer or occasionally disabled. I do love me a good Wolfstar but I mostly write minor characters -- I have an Anthony Goldstein/Neville Longbottom fic in the works that's about the war on drugs and neo-fascism (it makes sense in context, I promise) that has an enormous extended universe which, naturally, I have not yet put into fic form. A sneak peak:

“Word from Level One is that we should keep this under wraps, Goldstein. We can’t avoid a full Wizengamot trial unless they plead guilty — which they’re not going to do, not when Braithwaite is up for life in Azkaban.”

Anthony knew he shouldn’t ask. He knew, and yet — “Why are we keeping it under wraps, sir?”

Bellinger raised an eyebrow and stared at him for a long moment, as if giving him time to reconsider his actions. “Imagine how this would look to the international press, Goldstein.”

“But this isn’t the first neo-Death Eater group that’s come up, it’s not even the first case of prosecuting Section 130.”

Bellinger pursed his lips and looked, if possible, even more disappointed in him. “When was the last time Section 130 was used?”

“Uh,” Anthony said, flipping through the pages he had put on Bellinger’s desk. “Five years ago?”

“And when did the International Confederation finally withdraw all their interference with the British Ministry?”

“...Five years ago?” Anthony was worried it was some kind of trick question, but at Bellinger’s expression, he said, trying to sound more certain, “Five years ago.”

“A neo-Death Eater aligned Unforgivable does not fit with the Ministry’s narrative of post-war recovery. We’ve barely been allowed to control our own government again. If anyone finds out about this, there might be talks of another censure or even another bloody taskforce deciding we can’t run our own country. Brussels or something will control us instead. Two dark wizards in fifty years? They don’t trust us to tie our own shoelaces.”

I am also writing a Wolfstar-raises-Harry AU fic which features the hat trick of your faves being queer, Jewish and disabled. It's extremely depressing though. 

“I hate funerals, and I want to be useful. This is doing something for them, taking care of their son. Funerals are for the living, they’re just...performances of grief.”

“You—Prongs is dead, Moony, the last bloody thing you can do is go to his funeral.” 

“No, the last thing I can do is take care of his son! Harry’s alive. Prongs and Lily are dead. They—they left.”

“Left? They were murdered!”

“I know!”

Sirius did not know when he had stood up, or why they were now both shouting. Well, he did know why he was shouting at Remus—he was being a complete berk, bloody abandoning not only James and Lily, but him, as well.

And then as quickly as it had flared up, his anger was gone and all he was left with was a gaping emptiness and the terror of facing it all alone. He sat back down heavily on the chair, his shoulders slumping. “I—I need you there,” he said, so softly he wasn’t sure Remus heard.

“I can’t,” Remus said, and Sirius was horrified to see him crying.

Most of the stuff I have on HPFT at the moment is quite old, from 2009/2010, except for Hermione Before the Beit Din pretty much. I was honestly surprised at how decently some of it has held up though! Hooray for the me of nine years ago.

Obviously, if anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them. :loveshower:

• Like 1

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind

I have started to post both bring your curses home (the aforementioned fic about the war on drugs and neofascism) and also song for the julian calendar (the aforementioned fic wherein Sirius and Remus raise Harry). I've also written twooooo wolfstar fics, both in a universe where you have a tattoo of the last words your soulmate says to you. I want to write a jily thing in the same universe, but I also want to write the newspaper articles for bring your curses home so I can post more of that. And then probably write some of the curses spinoffs which I have an absurdly long list of.

the soulmate AU fics were interesting to write because I had to work out how people wouldn't feel....pressured, in a way, to say the words. to preserve the idea that they still had the free will to choose the words, I guess? I solved it by there being a huge social taboo against showing anyone your words, but I imagine even if you had seen someone's words, they would either be so routine that it's not a notable phrase or the circumstances of the phrase would be such that you wouldn't even think about it in the moment, or that was the only logical thing to say. It's a thing I really want to explore more in the Jily one because there the words on Lily's arm are I'll hold him off and I mean.......she spends her whole life knowing that her soulmate, whoever they are, is most likely going to die trying to protect her, and that would make her feel wildly guilty and weird about falling in love -- because isn't that dooming her soulmate?

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin
1 hour ago, facingthenorthwind said:

It's a thing I really want to explore more in the Jily one because there the words on Lily's arm are I'll hold him off and I mean.......she spends her whole life knowing that her soulmate, whoever they are, is most likely going to die trying to protect her, and that would make her feel wildly guilty and weird about falling in love -- because isn't that dooming her soulmate?

You are going to break my heart, aren't you? :blownose:

facingthenorthwind
8 hours ago, Felpata_Lupin said:

You are going to break my heart, aren't you? :blownose:

And here I was thinking you were going to ask me questions :P

Yes. Yes I am. At least, I will try my very best. 

Recent Badges

beyond the rain

Emma, hey! Here with some questions!

1. I can understand wolfstar, though I don't ship it much myself. What is it about their relationship that you like so much?

2. I read the snippet of your wolfstair raising harry fic, the angst is unreal (but also v well written.) - normally these sort of fics are fluffy, kind of like the film 'three men and a baby' . What made you decide to go down the angst route?

3. Who do you think would be the more natural parent in raising harry, and who would take a bit of time to get used to the new circumstances? 

4. I've only ever written one religious character, and she was a catholic muggleborn. Do you think that religion is a strictly muggle thing, or could purebloods be religious too? And do you think religious muggleborns would struggle in going to Hogwarts?

5. Is there an era you haven't explored but would like to? 

6. What inspires you to write?

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind
3 hours ago, beyond the rain said:

1. I can understand wolfstar, though I don't ship it much myself. What is it about their relationship that you like so much?

Oh man I have....no idea. I mean, they're both pretty queer-coded -- bachelors who have no apparent romantic relationships, the joint Christmas present they give Harry, the fact that Remus is a walking AIDS metaphor (which has its own extremely long list of reasons why that's Very Bad, starting with all the gross fear-mongering about Fenrir Greyback deliberately preying on children). After writing literally 32,000 words of Wolfstar you would think I had a better answer, but I'm uhhhh not sure? I like having a good thing happen to Sirius Black for once in his life. I like seeing Remus happy, however briefly. And then I like to destroy them both with angst. :P They're both just so broken that I like seeing them patch each other up.

2. I read the snippet of your wolfstair raising harry fic, the angst is unreal (but also v well written.) - normally these sort of fics are fluffy, kind of like the film 'three men and a baby' . What made you decide to go down the angst route?

While I would love to write Harry and Sirius and Remus all grown up and happy and fluffy and with Nothing Bad Ever, I always wanted to start the fic with Sirius discovering James and Lily were dead -- which kind of put a damper on the whole thing. Hopefully eventually it will get more cheerful? It's just that it goes from finding dead bodies, to planning a funeral, to the Longbottoms being tortured.....1981 just isn't a happy time. Let Them Be Happy, JKR. 

3. Who do you think would be the more natural parent in raising harry, and who would take a bit of time to get used to the new circumstances? 

I actually think Sirius would be the more natural parent -- I doubt anyone would pick it beforehand, but I think Remus would simply be too terrified. When Harry gets older I think Remus would become the somewhat more competent parent, better at remembering things and being on top of everything. That said, I think both of them SUPER struggle at the beginning with the combo of depression/PTSD and sleep deprivation and Harry being So Much All The Time.

4. I've only ever written one religious character, and she was a catholic muggleborn. Do you think that religion is a strictly muggle thing, or could purebloods be religious too? And do you think religious muggleborns would struggle in going to Hogwarts?

Ohhhh boy well I mean I have written A LOT of fics about this. :P I think purebloods can also be religious! I think most religions would have a wizarding sect/movement/denomination, and some of the larger ones would also have wizarding offshoots of Muggle ones (e.g. there is definitely a Wizard Catholic Church, despite Wizarding Christianity splitting off before the Great Schism of 1054 in my head). I also really like the fics I've read where the Wizarding world is largely Druidic/Celtic Polytheist. I think religious muggleborns would have two options: 1) joining a wizarding sect/forming their own wizarding offshoot of their Muggle sect, or 2) being lonely and struggling. I don't think everyone would automatically go for option one, but for their happiness, I hope they would. In terms of religious observance I don't think they would struggle -- I'm sure there are prayer rooms in Hogwarts and they could acquire food that meets their dietary requirements, plus the robes are pretty modesty-requirements-friendly. But if there are Muggleborns that are religious and those religions have really small insular communities/require really close-knit communities that Hogwarts just can't provide, I think they would struggle, yeah.

5. Is there an era you haven't explored but would like to? 

hmmmMMMMmmm. Are there....any eras I haven't explored? Oooh, the war with Grindelwald!!!! I don't have any actual IDEAS, but I'd love to explore the reckoning that clearly happened in Eastern Europe post-war, if Krum's attitude to the Deathly Hallows symbol is anything to go by.

6. What inspires you to write?

Man I've been sitting and staring at this question for like two hours. Plot holes? Trying to fix JKR's abysmal worldbuilding? Wanting to see myself in fics? Giving Sirius Black good things? I don't even know. 

Thank you for the questions Bex!!!! They were wonderful, I'm sorry I was so bad at answering several of them.

• Like 1

Recent Badges

forever_dreaming

Hello Emma! I’m here to ask some questions and give you some love <3

1. Anthony is related to Tina and Queenie Goldstein, so I was wondering if he’s at all close with the American Goldsteins. Are those Goldsteins also Jewish, in your mind? 

2. Do you have religious headcanons for any of the other characters? (For example, I know that Kaur is Sikh. Also, slightly related question: do you headcanon Harry to be Hindu?) 

3. How do you think Anthony went about his religious observances at Hogwarts? Do you think Hogwarts accommodated him in any way? Was there also a community of other Jewish students? (I’m asking this question based on what you’ve told me about the idea of penance for your community’s sins too, and that if someone in your community sins then everyone in the community has sinned as well). 

I’ll be back with more questions later, but I also wanted to say that your writing is spectacularly creative and I’ve loved beta-ing for you. <3