Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
facingthenorthwind

facingthenorthwind

facingthenorthwind

Hello! I am Emma! I can be found on both AO3 and HPFT, though my AO3 has all my fics and HPFT only my Harry Potter stuff. 

My main thing in fics is making All Your Faves Jewish, though I also fully intend to do an exploration of Wizarding Christianity's stance on the Nicean councils at some point. (I mean I say that but I suspect that would have an audience of zero, so. Who wants to go on an adventure of Gnostic and Arian heresies?)

When I'm not making all your faves Jewish, I am usually making them queer or occasionally disabled. I do love me a good Wolfstar but I mostly write minor characters -- I have an Anthony Goldstein/Neville Longbottom fic in the works that's about the war on drugs and neo-fascism (it makes sense in context, I promise) that has an enormous extended universe which, naturally, I have not yet put into fic form. A sneak peak:

“Word from Level One is that we should keep this under wraps, Goldstein. We can’t avoid a full Wizengamot trial unless they plead guilty — which they’re not going to do, not when Braithwaite is up for life in Azkaban.”

Anthony knew he shouldn’t ask. He knew, and yet — “Why are we keeping it under wraps, sir?”

Bellinger raised an eyebrow and stared at him for a long moment, as if giving him time to reconsider his actions. “Imagine how this would look to the international press, Goldstein.”

“But this isn’t the first neo-Death Eater group that’s come up, it’s not even the first case of prosecuting Section 130.”

Bellinger pursed his lips and looked, if possible, even more disappointed in him. “When was the last time Section 130 was used?”

“Uh,” Anthony said, flipping through the pages he had put on Bellinger’s desk. “Five years ago?”

“And when did the International Confederation finally withdraw all their interference with the British Ministry?”

“...Five years ago?” Anthony was worried it was some kind of trick question, but at Bellinger’s expression, he said, trying to sound more certain, “Five years ago.”

“A neo-Death Eater aligned Unforgivable does not fit with the Ministry’s narrative of post-war recovery. We’ve barely been allowed to control our own government again. If anyone finds out about this, there might be talks of another censure or even another bloody taskforce deciding we can’t run our own country. Brussels or something will control us instead. Two dark wizards in fifty years? They don’t trust us to tie our own shoelaces.”

I am also writing a Wolfstar-raises-Harry AU fic which features the hat trick of your faves being queer, Jewish and disabled. It's extremely depressing though. 

“I hate funerals, and I want to be useful. This is doing something for them, taking care of their son. Funerals are for the living, they’re just...performances of grief.”

“You—Prongs is dead, Moony, the last bloody thing you can do is go to his funeral.” 

“No, the last thing I can do is take care of his son! Harry’s alive. Prongs and Lily are dead. They—they left.”

“Left? They were murdered!”

“I know!”

Sirius did not know when he had stood up, or why they were now both shouting. Well, he did know why he was shouting at Remus—he was being a complete berk, bloody abandoning not only James and Lily, but him, as well.

And then as quickly as it had flared up, his anger was gone and all he was left with was a gaping emptiness and the terror of facing it all alone. He sat back down heavily on the chair, his shoulders slumping. “I—I need you there,” he said, so softly he wasn’t sure Remus heard.

“I can’t,” Remus said, and Sirius was horrified to see him crying.

Most of the stuff I have on HPFT at the moment is quite old, from 2009/2010, except for Hermione Before the Beit Din pretty much. I was honestly surprised at how decently some of it has held up though! Hooray for the me of nine years ago.

Obviously, if anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer them. :loveshower:

• Like 1

facingthenorthwind

I have started to post both bring your curses home (the aforementioned fic about the war on drugs and neofascism) and also song for the julian calendar (the aforementioned fic wherein Sirius and Remus raise Harry). I've also written twooooo wolfstar fics, both in a universe where you have a tattoo of the last words your soulmate says to you. I want to write a jily thing in the same universe, but I also want to write the newspaper articles for bring your curses home so I can post more of that. And then probably write some of the curses spinoffs which I have an absurdly long list of.

the soulmate AU fics were interesting to write because I had to work out how people wouldn't feel....pressured, in a way, to say the words. to preserve the idea that they still had the free will to choose the words, I guess? I solved it by there being a huge social taboo against showing anyone your words, but I imagine even if you had seen someone's words, they would either be so routine that it's not a notable phrase or the circumstances of the phrase would be such that you wouldn't even think about it in the moment, or that was the only logical thing to say. It's a thing I really want to explore more in the Jily one because there the words on Lily's arm are I'll hold him off and I mean.......she spends her whole life knowing that her soulmate, whoever they are, is most likely going to die trying to protect her, and that would make her feel wildly guilty and weird about falling in love -- because isn't that dooming her soulmate?

Felpata_Lupin
1 hour ago, facingthenorthwind said:

It's a thing I really want to explore more in the Jily one because there the words on Lily's arm are I'll hold him off and I mean.......she spends her whole life knowing that her soulmate, whoever they are, is most likely going to die trying to protect her, and that would make her feel wildly guilty and weird about falling in love -- because isn't that dooming her soulmate?

You are going to break my heart, aren't you? :blownose:

facingthenorthwind
8 hours ago, Felpata_Lupin said:

You are going to break my heart, aren't you? :blownose:

And here I was thinking you were going to ask me questions :P

Yes. Yes I am. At least, I will try my very best. 

beyond the rain

Emma, hey! Here with some questions!

1. I can understand wolfstar, though I don't ship it much myself. What is it about their relationship that you like so much?

2. I read the snippet of your wolfstair raising harry fic, the angst is unreal (but also v well written.) - normally these sort of fics are fluffy, kind of like the film 'three men and a baby' . What made you decide to go down the angst route?

3. Who do you think would be the more natural parent in raising harry, and who would take a bit of time to get used to the new circumstances? 

4. I've only ever written one religious character, and she was a catholic muggleborn. Do you think that religion is a strictly muggle thing, or could purebloods be religious too? And do you think religious muggleborns would struggle in going to Hogwarts?

5. Is there an era you haven't explored but would like to? 

6. What inspires you to write?

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind
3 hours ago, beyond the rain said:

1. I can understand wolfstar, though I don't ship it much myself. What is it about their relationship that you like so much?

Oh man I have....no idea. I mean, they're both pretty queer-coded -- bachelors who have no apparent romantic relationships, the joint Christmas present they give Harry, the fact that Remus is a walking AIDS metaphor (which has its own extremely long list of reasons why that's Very Bad, starting with all the gross fear-mongering about Fenrir Greyback deliberately preying on children). After writing literally 32,000 words of Wolfstar you would think I had a better answer, but I'm uhhhh not sure? I like having a good thing happen to Sirius Black for once in his life. I like seeing Remus happy, however briefly. And then I like to destroy them both with angst. :P They're both just so broken that I like seeing them patch each other up.

2. I read the snippet of your wolfstair raising harry fic, the angst is unreal (but also v well written.) - normally these sort of fics are fluffy, kind of like the film 'three men and a baby' . What made you decide to go down the angst route?

While I would love to write Harry and Sirius and Remus all grown up and happy and fluffy and with Nothing Bad Ever, I always wanted to start the fic with Sirius discovering James and Lily were dead -- which kind of put a damper on the whole thing. Hopefully eventually it will get more cheerful? It's just that it goes from finding dead bodies, to planning a funeral, to the Longbottoms being tortured.....1981 just isn't a happy time. Let Them Be Happy, JKR. 

3. Who do you think would be the more natural parent in raising harry, and who would take a bit of time to get used to the new circumstances? 

I actually think Sirius would be the more natural parent -- I doubt anyone would pick it beforehand, but I think Remus would simply be too terrified. When Harry gets older I think Remus would become the somewhat more competent parent, better at remembering things and being on top of everything. That said, I think both of them SUPER struggle at the beginning with the combo of depression/PTSD and sleep deprivation and Harry being So Much All The Time.

4. I've only ever written one religious character, and she was a catholic muggleborn. Do you think that religion is a strictly muggle thing, or could purebloods be religious too? And do you think religious muggleborns would struggle in going to Hogwarts?

Ohhhh boy well I mean I have written A LOT of fics about this. :P I think purebloods can also be religious! I think most religions would have a wizarding sect/movement/denomination, and some of the larger ones would also have wizarding offshoots of Muggle ones (e.g. there is definitely a Wizard Catholic Church, despite Wizarding Christianity splitting off before the Great Schism of 1054 in my head). I also really like the fics I've read where the Wizarding world is largely Druidic/Celtic Polytheist. I think religious muggleborns would have two options: 1) joining a wizarding sect/forming their own wizarding offshoot of their Muggle sect, or 2) being lonely and struggling. I don't think everyone would automatically go for option one, but for their happiness, I hope they would. In terms of religious observance I don't think they would struggle -- I'm sure there are prayer rooms in Hogwarts and they could acquire food that meets their dietary requirements, plus the robes are pretty modesty-requirements-friendly. But if there are Muggleborns that are religious and those religions have really small insular communities/require really close-knit communities that Hogwarts just can't provide, I think they would struggle, yeah.

5. Is there an era you haven't explored but would like to? 

hmmmMMMMmmm. Are there....any eras I haven't explored? Oooh, the war with Grindelwald!!!! I don't have any actual IDEAS, but I'd love to explore the reckoning that clearly happened in Eastern Europe post-war, if Krum's attitude to the Deathly Hallows symbol is anything to go by.

6. What inspires you to write?

Man I've been sitting and staring at this question for like two hours. Plot holes? Trying to fix JKR's abysmal worldbuilding? Wanting to see myself in fics? Giving Sirius Black good things? I don't even know. 

Thank you for the questions Bex!!!! They were wonderful, I'm sorry I was so bad at answering several of them.

• Like 1

forever_dreaming

Hello Emma! I’m here to ask some questions and give you some love <3

1. Anthony is related to Tina and Queenie Goldstein, so I was wondering if he’s at all close with the American Goldsteins. Are those Goldsteins also Jewish, in your mind? 

2. Do you have religious headcanons for any of the other characters? (For example, I know that Kaur is Sikh. Also, slightly related question: do you headcanon Harry to be Hindu?) 

3. How do you think Anthony went about his religious observances at Hogwarts? Do you think Hogwarts accommodated him in any way? Was there also a community of other Jewish students? (I’m asking this question based on what you’ve told me about the idea of penance for your community’s sins too, and that if someone in your community sins then everyone in the community has sinned as well). 

I’ll be back with more questions later, but I also wanted to say that your writing is spectacularly creative and I’ve loved beta-ing for you. <3 

facingthenorthwind
Posted (edited)

SO my goal for this camp nano is to write more than last camp nano. :P I'll have an aspirational goal of 25k, but as long as I write at least 10k I'll be happy! The things I'll be working on:

bring your curses home

also known as "my kingdom for a functional wizarding justice system", this is my love letter to anthony goldstein and my attempt to fix jkr's disastrous worldbuilding. it features neofascism, the war on drugs, and a whoooole lotta judaism. in other words, the premise is: there's a huge uptick in imperio cases ten years after the war ends, and anthony is the only one who seems to be interested in finding out why.

jily soulmate au

I know this has been on my to-write list and gets constantly shoved down to make way for something else but I DO GENUINELY WANT TO WRITE THIS. it's the same premise as two certainties but this time jily!!! so that's gonna be a fun and heartbreaking time, because much like two certainties........................well, the words on their wrist mean death.

cultural diversity challenge entry

so I have this little plot bunny that I don't know if I'll succeed but GOTTA TRY: a Māori quidditch player is wrongfully blacklisted for broom tampering and a young madam hooch has to help bring down the people who framed her! (if you're wondering who the villains are in this story, it's pākehā. don't pretend to be surprised.)

song for the julian calendar

look i don't know why i have lost enthusiasm for this given i have only posted 2k out of the 22k i have written but ?????? hopefully i'll find my enthusiasm for it again in the coming month? sirius and remus raise harry because there is no way they are letting dumbledore send him to the dursleys. 

slug club resistance

a story that is extremely close to my heart featuring the sister of a minor character in bring your curses home. so, in other words, it's totally unrelated. :P slughorn runs a resistance group! but because it's slughorn, mr. "i'm not home i am an armchair covered in blood", they operate...........more behind the scenes than out in the open. (if you can believe it, i have the timestamps for the planning of this several months before I ever read @just.a.willow.tree's five lives but i mean................look, eva's already done it better, perhaps i should leave it to her. on the other hand, i want to redeem horace slughorn's image!!)

That's probably enough to be getting on with for now. Feel free to ask me any questions you so desire!!

Edited by toomanycurls
forgot about the cultural diversity challenge!
  • Like 2

beyond the rain

Hey Emma! I have a question!

I really like your slug club resistence plunny, it's so unlike anything I've ever heard about before. I know you usually write angst, will this go down the same route? Or will it be a bit lighter? I only ask because as soon as I saw the title I immediately thought, there's definitely room for some humour here! Oh, and where did the idea for this come from? 

(That was more than one question, sorry!)

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind
24 minutes ago, beyond the rain said:

Hey Emma! I have a question!

I really like your slug club resistence plunny, it's so unlike anything I've ever heard about before. I know you usually write angst, will this go down the same route? Or will it be a bit lighter? I only ask because as soon as I saw the title I immediately thought, there's definitely room for some humour here! Oh, and where did the idea for this come from? 

(That was more than one question, sorry!)

look

....look

look it's....

it's going to be angst again

Although hopefully I'll find room for some humour!!! I'm definitely not against writing humorous things, it's just uhhhh some of the events that I know will happen are. not funny. BUT if you are like "you know what would be hilarious emma, if [thing] happened", then by all means, I will do my best to give horace slughorn the 1997-98 school year of our dreams. I mean there's definitely going to be some humour involved! probably! hopefully! (the thing I am writing AT THIS MOMENT for the prefect's challenge is light and fluffy and humorous and cannot possibly turn angsty, I swear. it is, of course, unrelated to the slug club resistance. but I want you to know I am CAPABLE of such a thing. hopefully. there are definitely funny scenes in bring your curses home, e.g. literally any time zacharias smith turns up.)

Mannnnn okay so I think it happened because we were riffing on what the minor character in bring your curses home was like and what their motivations were, and then we were like "what if.........she comes from a family of slytherins and her sister fought in the battle of hogwarts. oooh we know slughorn came back into the battle of hogwarts, maybe she followed him back? WHAT IF slughorn actually formed a resistance out of the slug club? for all he's a pretentious name-dropper, he DOES love all his slug children" and then we worked out what slughorn-directed resistance would look like, given the whole incident at the start of hbp.

thank you for these questions bex!! I have your fic open in a tab and I will read it and go ask you some questions when I'm done! :D

• Like 1

poppunkpadfoot

Heyyy Emma! I don’t have a question but I just wanted to say that song for the julian calendar sounds lit and I really hope you get your enthusiasm for it back because I want to read it :ninjavanish:

If you ever want a hand with it (beta-reading, idea-bouncing, etc etc) I’d be very happy to help!!

Good luck with JulNo! ❤️

forever_dreaming

Hi Emma! :hug:I’m here with a few questions :D 

1. Will your cultural diversity challenge entry also feature a romance between the Maori Quidditch player and young Hooch? 

2. Why did you choose Maori as the culture to explore? 

3. How would you describe little Kaur’s personality? Will big Kaur also appear in this story? 

4. Re: bring your curses home (I’m so glad you picked this title by the way; I think it’s awesome). At the moment, it’s just Anthony who’s even concerned about the Imperio cases—will others from the DA also be concerned about it too, or will this be a one-man fight? 

I also wanted to say that I can confirm that any scene with Zacharias Smith is geninuely hilarious :D 

starbuck

hey emma :)

so i saw around the forums you mention JKR and 'disastrous worldbuilding' a couple of times and wanting to fix it - could you share some of your thoughts on this? i must admit, i never really thought about it until i saw you mention an essay (i can't remember by whom, sorry) in your chapter notes on AO3 (that's where i read the first chapter of bring your curses home - for some reason HPFT wouldn't open on my phone at work that day so i read the first chapter on my phone during a work break :ninjavanish:). i had to google the essay and i just had time to skim through it but the person who wrote it brought up some points about wizarding law (or the lack of it with regards to human rights?) that made me really interested in first, reading more of your fic (and i'm planning on doing just that when work calms down a little bit), and second, in hearing your thoughts about, er, everything :P

another thing i was wondering - why is the wand forbidden by jewish law (sorry if you explained this somewhere around the forums before or if you explain it in later chapters and don't want to spoil :P)? i mean, where did the idea come from? in the books we don't really see many people able to do wandless magic, making me think it's quite hard and not something that can even be accomplished by less powerful wizards, than, say, dumbledore.

your slug club resistance story sounds awesome and i'd read it in a heartbeat (even if it doesn't have humor :D ). i love slughorn, even with his favouritism, and i was happy when i read he fought in the battle of hogwarts.

facingthenorthwind
Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2018 at 9:39 AM, poppunkpadfoot said:

Heyyy Emma! I don’t have a question but I just wanted to say that song for the julian calendar sounds lit and I really hope you get your enthusiasm for it back because I want to read it :ninjavanish:

If you ever want a hand with it (beta-reading, idea-bouncing, etc etc) I’d be very happy to help!!

Good luck with JulNo! ❤️

aaaah kayla thank you ❤️❤️❤️ you're so sweet!!

On 6/20/2018 at 10:22 PM, forever_dreaming said:

1. Will your cultural diversity challenge entry also feature a romance between the Maori Quidditch player and young Hooch? 

...you know, I had never considered that, which is.........weird. I don't think so? but I mean, there's no reason I shouldn't? gosh, maybe I should think about this! They'd be about the same age, after all, and it's not like there would be a weird power dynamic....shreya, you're a genius, and I will definitely consider putting one in. I cannot promise, of course, but hey, we'll see what happens!

2. Why did you choose Maori as the culture to explore? 

So my initial thought process for this fic was more hooch-based -- it was "madam hooch has a specialty in broom tampering -- why?" and then I decided it would be to do with some kind of corruption scandal earlier in her life, and then I had to pick a villain. I had already decided that the OC would be someone who was blacklisted from their home country's Quidditch league for this broom tampering scandal, so I had to find a country that was small enough for a national corruption scandal to be viable, but big enough that they could block the player's chances overseas after being blacklisted. Eastern Europe was no good because I mean, I don't want to play into those tropes; a lot of Western Europe is just Too Big for a national corruption scandal (though that said......Russia does exist, and it is very large), so I think I was tossing up between Norway and Aotearoa New Zealand. 

[nooooo I had a whole paragraph here that I lost when I accidentally closed the tab :((( ]

I studied some Māori history last semester and I have some Kiwi friends (though I'm not sure any of them are Māori? holler if you are, friends), so that seemed like the best choice. I mostly studied the Treaty of Waitangi (which.....man, look it up, it's something else. what kind of an evil person writes a bilingual treaty and puts different things in each version???? spoilers, it's the Brits), so although I had previously assumed that Aotearoa NZ had done right by her first peoples with a good and fair treaty, I uhhh I obviously learnt that was extremely not the case. Man I cannot remember where this was going. Anyway, the reason she gets blacklisted is anti-Māori racism. (Of course now I'm like "emma you could have made this a purely English affair with the tampering fueled by historic team rivalries" but woop I've done this now.)

3. How would you describe little Kaur’s personality? Will big Kaur also appear in this story? 

See this implies that I've put any thought into little!Kaur beyond giving her a first name (which is Ishika, and big!Kaur is Reet). She and Reet are both Slytherins (I reckon their family arrived in Britain in the '50s or '60s, so perhaps their parents are Slytherins? I have no strong feelings either way, honestly). I feel like they're both in the Slug Club initially because their mum runs a really successful specialist potions ingredients supply shop? Or maybe that's not impressive enough...I think they initially get an invite because of their really successful mum, anyhow, and then they distinguish themselves in other ways -- Reet is really good at the written component of most of her classes (she's decent at the wandwork but you know, not exceptional) and I think Ishika is a little potions whiz. I mean I say little, she's a sixth year, but in my head she's still a baby 13yo or something. :P I don't know why. Gosh, Shreya, I know noooothing about little!Kaur, I have so much work to do. 😧 I promise I will tell you more about Ishika as soon as I figure it out.

I can't really see a way for Reet to be in the story? Except perhaps in a letter or two. I imagined it as beginning at the start of the school year and ending at the Battle of Hogwarts, but oh! Winter holidays! Ishika can tell Reet all about what she's been doing and Reet can idk, give her tips or something. Or just worry about her. I am not sure yet. I'm sorry for such a disappointing answer, I don't seem to have the brain for making up characters at the moment???

4. Re: bring your curses home (I’m so glad you picked this title by the way; I think it’s awesome). At the moment, it’s just Anthony who’s even concerned about the Imperio cases—will others from the DA also be concerned about it too, or will this be a one-man fight? 

So at the moment I think Anthony is too embarrassed to bring it up with anyone but Neville -- embarrassed because his coworkers will say he's just overreacting (they won't necessarily, but Anthony doesn't know that), and he would feel like a burden if he brought it up with the DA because the war is supposed to be over, you know? But eventually he's going to enlist Susan Bones and they will have like, a buddy cop interlude. Although once it escalates with murders and Big Scandals I assume it'll be on the auror radar, so I'll....have to come up with a reason for why he's not doing it through official channels? I had not realised that plothole until just now. :P 

I also wanted to say that I can confirm that any scene with Zacharias Smith is geninuely hilarious :D 

I'm so glad you like him!!! (Draco/Zacharias is endgame, obviously.)

On 6/22/2018 at 8:34 AM, starbuck said:

so i saw around the forums you mention JKR and 'disastrous worldbuilding' a couple of times and wanting to fix it - could you share some of your thoughts on this? i must admit, i never really thought about it until i saw you mention an essay (i can't remember by whom, sorry) in your chapter notes on AO3 (that's where i read the first chapter of bring your curses home - for some reason HPFT wouldn't open on my phone at work that day so i read the first chapter on my phone during a work break :ninjavanish:). i had to google the essay and i just had time to skim through it but the person who wrote it brought up some points about wizarding law (or the lack of it with regards to human rights?) that made me really interested in first, reading more of your fic (and i'm planning on doing just that when work calms down a little bit), and second, in hearing your thoughts about, er, everything :P

ohhhhh boy. HELLO. KRISTINA ARE YOU READY YOU HAVE RELEASED A BEAST. I was like "where do I even start" so I made a quick list of things I am frustrated with in JKR's worldbuilding:

• hogwarts??? how is there only one teacher per subject? how many students are there? how is it funded?
  • wands: how does ollivander make a living, what is UP with that
  • sure, we only see trials in wartime, but in no universe should an auror also be the head prosecutor
  • no substitutes in quidditch????
  • w h y are goblins in charge of the only wizarding bank?
  • why is there only one major newspaper?
  • where do wizards get their essentials? are there wizard farms? wizard cotton mills? wizard grocers? wizard abattoirs?
  • how can JKR say that there are no disabled wizards when two of the most important characters in the series wear glasses and multiple wixen are described as having extremely thick glasses, implying they can see very little without them?
  • let's not even START on the hot mess that is JKR's worldbuilding outside England because we'd be here until the heat death of the universe
  • does ireland have a separate ministry? does wizarding ireland have its missing counties? why doesn't seamus finnigan go to an irish wizarding school? 
  • [a muffled boom as emma explodes in rage while thinking about the relationship of wizards to muggle atrocities]
  • how does the government work? are there elections? is there a parliamentary system? 
  • how do pureblood children learn to read?
  • how do wizarding children learn basic life skills that are not taught in primary school, e.g. basic algebra, essay-writing, economics, foreign languages
  • why is the wizarding currency deliberately devalued by gringotts?
  • WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT SCENE WHERE ARTHUR WEASLEY IS IN ST MUNGOS AND THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT STITCHES ARE
  • see also: are wizards somehow immune to "muggle" disease? bc first of all that's not how diseases work, but second of all does that mean wizards have an entirely separate bacterial ecosystem? do wizarding wounds go septic? DO THEY EVEN HAVE GERM THEORY?
    • According to Pottermore they have the ability to cure all Muggle ailments, which like.....sure, but she implied that wizards never die of mundane ailments, which sounds absurd because let's say I'm a wizard who has had very little magical education and no friends and I have a gangrenous leg....I'm gonna die, because I don't know how to fix it.
    • GERM THEORY ONLY HAPPENED IN 1861. ARE WIZARDS STILL WORKING ON MIASMA OR?
  • tertiary education??? are there universities? technical colleges? surely not EVERYTHING can run on an apprenticeship model? 

Anyway I'm so sorry for subjecting to you that list of things, have I scared you off yet? :P 

I would recommend you read bring your curses home on ao3, actually! it has fancy formatting I spent AGES getting to work, and I'm quite proud of it. I can reproduce some of it with pictures on hpft, but not much. :( which obviously I totally understand why, but you know. 

another thing i was wondering - why is the wand forbidden by jewish law (sorry if you explained this somewhere around the forums before or if you explain it in later chapters and don't want to spoil :P)? i mean, where did the idea come from? in the books we don't really see many people able to do wandless magic, making me think it's quite hard and not something that can even be accomplished by less powerful wizards, than, say, dumbledore.

No no, I keep meaning to write like, a fake Jewish Legal Text on this, but I haven't got around to it. Basically it's like this:

• In the Torah (first five books of the Bible) it says being a witch/sorcerer is forbidden and punishable by death. See Exodus 22:17, Leviticus 20:27, Deuteronomy 18:9-13.
  • In the Talmud, which is kind of like...elaborations on the law? It's really early Jewish scholars and religious authorities trying to work out how to implement Torah law in real life. So in the Talmud they're like "look......I know it says magic is forbidden but uhhh Some Magic Is Good Actually?" (BT Sanhedrin 67-68, that is not an actual quote obviously.) 
  • The Talmud has criteria for which magic is Permitted and which is Forbidden. One of the criteria is that the use of "exact paraphernalia" (that's a translation; I do not know Aramaic, unfortunately, so I'm not sure what the original says!) is forbidden because they think that must mean that the magic doesn't come from God? If you don't follow that logic then that's ok, neither do I. But I figure "exact paraphernalia" means wands. (I don't know if it means broomsticks and flying carpets! What about Portkeys! Oh god!)
  • "But Emma, Anthony Goldstein went to Hogwarts and definitely used a wand." ah yes, but he was allowed to LEARN wandless magic, because there is a loophole for that! Quite literally! "Did we not learn, IF HE ACTUALLY PERFORMS MAGIC, HE IS LIABLE? — If it is only to teach, it is different. For it has been said, Thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of these nations:  thou may not learn in order to practise, but thou may learn in order to understand."
    • I can't believe that's a real religious text but it is, what a wonderful religion.
  • So in terms of wandless magic being difficult, I think that it is difficult....if you're using Latinate spells, solely because Latinate spells have been designed to be done with a wand. Obviously different cultures with different language groups are learning radically different incantations, and I think that Hebrew-derived incantations are going to be much easier to do wandless. I also think that different languages have different strengths -- e.g. Hebrew spells are very good at creating water, but Latinate/Celtic spells are much better at waterproofing because Israel is a desert and Europe is not. It's also entirely possible that there is much more variation in the incantation in Hebrew spells to give the caster greater control -- perhaps you have to conjugate it for specificity? 

your slug club resistance story sounds awesome and i'd read it in a heartbeat (even if it doesn't have humor :D ). i love slughorn, even with his favouritism, and i was happy when i read he fought in the battle of hogwarts.

thank you!!! I love Slughorn, what kind of a person is like "OH GOD I NEED TO FAKE MY OWN DEATH i know i'll turn myself into an armchair and stage an elaborate crime scene with fake blood"? Iconic.

I am so sorry my answers were both long and also belated, but I am happy to chat further about any of this any time! ❤️

Edited by facingthenorthwind
  • Like 3

starbuck

oh wow, the torah&the talmud mentioning magic (which is awesome) is something i didn't know (i did study the abrahamic religions at school in religion class but obviously not in such detail except christianity since it was, er, christian religion class - don't ask why in a secular state we have christian religion classes at school <.<). i love your explanation and honestly, it's so very thought out, i'm in awe, and the thinking behind how spells in different languages would work differently is great. when you think about it, it is totally weird that everyone would use the same latin-origin spells, especially wizards from language groups unrelated to latin in any way.

i love all the questions you mentioned (i wasn't aware about JKR saying there weren't any disabled wizards??? mad eye moody has an artificial eye and a wooden prosthesis :constantvigilance:?! and with magic i'd imagine handling a possible disability would be easier on the disabled magical person than it would be for a muggle)......

honestly, most of these questions didn't come to mind while i was reading HP but now that i'm (again) writing fanfics i realise there's so much we either don't know or it's not explained as well as it should be (lol re: pureblood children and how they learn to read - idk why but i imagined that wizards have something like a kindergarten or primary school before they start hogwarts, it seemed the easiest. and now in my fic poor victorie weasley got fired from such an institution for, er, hexing a parent :P ). we should have a subforum dedicated to worldbuilding HP :)

your answers are great and obviously, they just open up even more questions hahah but i love to think about these things (okay, maybe not about goblins and how they devalue currency because i don't have that much economic knowledge, sadly, though i used to think about them like they're switzerland but then that theory falls apart when you know there were wars between them and the wizards and uprisings and stuff like that <.<)

• Like 1

danicasyer
Posted (edited)

Hello there!

I don't have any have any questions for you but I did read your Nano Nest and I think your stories all sound interesting especially Bring Your Curses Home and the Slug Club Resistance because I love the plot and the ideas for them! I hope that you'll be able to not only reach up to 25k but also be able to fulfill in your other writing and or current goals you have as well! Good luck in advance to you in this upcoming Nano! You can do this! You got this! :) 

Edited by danicasyer
  • Like 1

facingthenorthwind
Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2018 at 2:00 AM, starbuck said:

oh wow, the torah&the talmud mentioning magic (which is awesome) is something i didn't know (i did study the abrahamic religions at school in religion class but obviously not in such detail except christianity since it was, er, christian religion class - don't ask why in a secular state we have christian religion classes at school <.<). i love your explanation and honestly, it's so very thought out, i'm in awe, and the thinking behind how spells in different languages would work differently is great. when you think about it, it is totally weird that everyone would use the same latin-origin spells, especially wizards from language groups unrelated to latin in any way.

Well if you ever want to know more about my thoughts on magic and Jewish law, you know where to find me. Are you allowed to perform magic on Shabbat, the day of rest? (I vote no, but I think an argument could be made for yes! It all depends how you spin it.) If you magically multiply food, is it still kosher? The questions are endless. I desperately want to fit them in somewhere but I can't work out how.

i love all the questions you mentioned (i wasn't aware about JKR saying there weren't any disabled wizards??? mad eye moody has an artificial eye and a wooden prosthesis :constantvigilance:?! and with magic i'd imagine handling a possible disability would be easier on the disabled magical person than it would be for a muggle)......

Magical disabilities still exist -- so Mad Eye had his various body parts cursed off, which is unfixable. From the Pottermore article on the subject:

I decided that, broadly speaking, wizards would have the power to correct or override ‘mundane’ nature, but not ‘magical’ nature. Therefore, a wizard could catch anything a Muggle might catch, but he could cure all of it; he would also comfortably survive a scorpion sting that might kill a Muggle, whereas he might die if bitten by a Venomous Tentacula.

As I said earlier, what if it's a European wizard who's lost their wand? What if they simply don't cure it, won't sepsis come for us all in time? And if wizards have the ability to override 'mundane' nature, why does every second person wear glasses? (Spoiler: it's because JKR is working off a garbage definition of disability that's forgotten that needing glasses is actually a disability.) I know that she said Harry wears glasses because she's worn glasses since she was a child, and that's good and fine! But you can't then pull the Word of God that disability doesn't exist! You've gotta pick one, Jo!!!!!!

we should have a subforum dedicated to worldbuilding HP :)

I am slowly but surely turning the Harry Potter forum into that. :P Of course, if any mods or admins want to create a worldbuilding subforum, I sure wouldn't complain.

On 6/27/2018 at 6:19 AM, danicasyer said:

Hello there!

I don't have any have any questions for you but I did read your Nano Nest and I think your stories all sound interesting especially Bring Your Curses Home and the Slug Club Resistance because I love the plot and the ideas for them! I hope that you'll be able to not only reach up to 25k but also be able to fulfill in your other writing and or current goals you have as well! Good luck in advance to you in this upcoming Nano! You can do this! You got this! :) 

Oh my goodness you're so kind!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️ Everyone is so excited about slug club resistance and here I am being like "I uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh have no idea what I'm going to write oh no". Hopefully I can do it justice! I hope you have an excellent month also. :wub: 

(you can tell I haven't written anything because i'm answering these instead of writing. ugh.)

Edited by facingthenorthwind
forgot to link the pottermore article
  • Like 2