Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • The House Cup finale will commence shortly!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
facingthenorthwind

Hogwarts Mystery

facingthenorthwind

So the new Harry Potter app has been released (in Australia, at least). What are people's thoughts? I am playing a Hufflepuff called Andrea Jenkins and she just wants to do well and hopefully find her brother after school because she loves and misses him. I'm extremely attached to everyone already, I'm a mess.

EDIT: Kotaku thinks it's too grindy and while I totally agree, I'm also....a massive loser who is weak for narrative, so. Gonna have to wait around for hours so I can redeem my brother I guess.

28s5uv5.jpg

• Like 2

Recent Badges

victoria_anne

What a coincidence... my brother is also in trouble :o 

• Haha 1

scooterbug8515

I want to try the game! I registered weeks ago but haven't gotten to play yet - not released where I am I suppose.  But grinding doesn't bother me so long as I'm rewarded - stories are my jam!  I mean I don't pay real money for games until I landed on a story game called Choices.  I've sunk more money than I should into it but I want to play the story with premium choices.

facingthenorthwind
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

What a coincidence... my brother is also in trouble :o 

My brother was apparently mixed up in some nasty business with vaults, hopefully your brother was more fortunate? :P 

I'm still obviously right at the beginning of the game, and I'm sure it'll feel more horrifically grind-y later on, but for the earlier levels it doesn't seem too bad? Yet. 

I'd be interested to see if folks who play as wizards (you gotta pick a binary gender 9_9) get the Muggleborn as a bff instead of Rowan.

Edited by facingthenorthwind
please someone who plays as a wizard (a Known Gender) update me

Recent Badges

MalfoysAngel

My brother is in trouble too!!!!!

The game just became available in the US but seems pretty cool so far.

facingthenorthwind

Since everyone has it now, some questions:

• I saw on twitter that Ravenclaw has Hottie McCheekbones as prefect -- who's your house prefect, what do they look like?
  • If you play as a wizard, is Ben Copper your bff instead of Rowan?
  • Presumably Rowan (or Ben if previous question is yes) is always in your house -- what are the houses of everyone else? Merula is always Slytherin, as far as I can tell. (In my game, Rowan and I are both Puffs, and Ben is a Gryff. Also the Extremely Cute Popular Girl, Penny Haywood, is in Hufflepuff. Or do you get a different Cute Popular Girl All Up In The Goss if you're in a different house?)
  • What if you are in Slytherin? Does Snape still take points so wantonly? 
  • What does your Common Room look like? I saw the Ravenclaw one on twitter and it was goooorgeous.

Recent Badges

beyond the rain

^I'm in slytherin...and snape hates me. It makes me so mad. 

My character is called Norah Fairfield, and her brother's in a bit of trouble too. However I plan on making my student the angriest little teen ever. I noticed there's a costume similar to what bellatrix wears that's locked and will be available once we get to level 18 or smth - which means maybe you can become a death eater???? I'm hoping so, I kind of want to play the game as a flawed angry kid who wants her brother back and hates how the school treated him, and then if I finish that, maybe I'll find a way to go back in and replay it as a lovely little ravenclaw. We shall see! 

Recent Badges

Phoenix Potioneer

When you guys all said "my brother is in trouble", I thought that meant that your brother was just a troublemaker, not that he was EXPELLED! It was quite a shock for me when I found out that my brother was expelled.

I'm a Hufflepuff in the game, and the common room is extremely pretty.

Also, Merula is terrible. She just LOCKED ME UP IN A ROOM WITH DEVIL'S SNARE! What? What sort of first year does something like that? I didn't even do anything to her! Well, I kind of blamed her for ruining my potion, but that doesn't mean I should potentially DIE.

I've barely done anything and Snape and Merula already hate me. :( 

• Haha 1

scooterbug8515

I think we all get to experience the same story.  I'm playing female, Rowan and I are in Slytherin together Ben is still a Gryffie in my game... I've not met the popular puff.  Haughty McCheekbones is my Prefect as well.  

And yes as a Slythering is drives me NUTS that Snape hates me!

Dojh167

Apparently since we're in school during the 80s, we get to meet Bill in 2nd year and Tonks in 3rd. Looking forward to that!

facingthenorthwind
On 27/04/2018 at 8:20 AM, Dojh167 said:

Apparently since we're in school during the 80s, we get to meet Bill in 2nd year and Tonks in 3rd. Looking forward to that!

saaaame. I'm in second year and I haven't met bill yet, I'm so excited.

Also, look how cute the Puff common room is!!!

pg8QfOR.png

Recent Badges

TidalDragon

Oof. After reading the Kotaku article, I don't know that I can grind like that. The grind sounds worse than COD WW2 - and that's saying something.

• Like 2

GinnyPotter242

The main annoying thing to me is how much time it takes to refill your energy. I literally go until my energy is gone, then have to set my phone down or go off the game for a time until it refills, because there is nothing else to do that doesn't require energy. I have found out though that you can occasionally get energy (one) from tapping various things in the hallways and stuff. The painting between the Gryffindor Common Room and Prefect's bathroom and one of the suits of armor next to the Great Hall are what I've noticed do that nearly every time- I'm not sure how often they "restock" though.

I'm still a first year, but I can't wait to get to second year and meet Bill. I kind of wish we were in Hogwarts during either the Marauders era or the Next Gen era, but that may be just because those are my personal favorite eras. Also, I'm in Ravenclaw! I decided to go with something different...any apparently I'm actually supposed to be in Ravenclaw, according to every single sorting test I've ever taken (but I love my Gryffies here too much to leave anytime soon). Here's a pic of the Common Room- it's so pretty!

Oh another thing that annoys me is the fact that so many clothing options cost money (and tbh, I'm not a fan of most of them) or gems. They should have at least ONE glasses option that doesn't cost gems, c'mon!

I do like the game, it's a fun little mystery, but there could definitely be improvements in my book. 

IMG_2067.PNG

Hufflepuffbookworm1990

I'm a Hufflepuff. Although, I was tempted to choose Ravenclaw.

Ben is my favorite. He reminds me so much of first-year Neville  (although, Nev is a pureblood and Ben is a muggleborn)

facingthenorthwind
Posted (edited)

A SPOILER ABOUT WHEN YOU MEET BILL WEASLEY, FOR THOSE INTERESTED:

Spoiler

You meet him in Year 2 Chapter 6 and he confirms that Charlie is IN YOUR YEAR so it's a travesty that we don't get some Charlie shenanigans. Come on, game. Give me all the Weasleys.

also @Hufflepuffbookworm1990 I agree, I want to protect Ben with my life. He is my precious son.

Edited by facingthenorthwind
forgot ben (of course)
  • Haha 1

Recent Badges

scooterbug8515

I have to say that I also want to meet Charlie - he's the same year as Tonks Canonically speaking.  Also based on the game we are in the same year as Tonks and Charlie which makes me geek out a little bit.  Like seriously I love that we are in school in the 80's   It's been a time period at Hogwarts that has interested me for some time.  I haven't had much plot to write about then though, but maybe this game will spark the muse!

I am loving it and I am very curious about things in year 2.

I swear if Merula hurt Ben in Year 2 she is going down!

• Like 1

Phoenix Potioneer

Hey everybody I have a question for all Slytherins playing this game who have reached at least partway through Year Two (spoilers ahead):

Spoiler

As a Hufflepuff, one of the storylines is that to find Ben, we have to retrieve this "Black Quill" from the Slytherin Common Room, and there's this whole plot where we have to try and sneak into the Slytherin Common Room. If you're a Slytherin though, do you just get a different common room you have to sneak into? Which one? Thanks.

• Like 1

scooterbug8515

I brought your question up on twitter because I wondered similarly as a Slytherin.

Spoiler

As Slytherin we sneak into Gryffindor because Ben got the black quill. So I thought everyone broke in there and Gryffindor was the odd house out. But apparently it is more complex. It seems Ravenclaw also breaks into Gryffindor while Hufflepuff and Gryffindor break into Slytherin. 

Now I wanna ask, do ya'll have a side quest related to the results of tge quidditch match? Did Gryffindor win the game in your version too?

Ravenclaw! Can you weigh in on this as well?

Phoenix Potioneer

Wow weird!

Spoiler

I thought all the houses except Slytherin broke into Slytherin. I didn't realize Ravenclaw broke into Gryffindor. 

I'm not sure if I've reached the side quest Quidditch part you're talking about (for context: just found Ben in the cursed ice), but currently we're on this side quest to "get revenge on Slytherin" or whatever. Jane, my prefect who I kinda hate, believes it's time for us to stop being kind to Slytherin and that we've put up with them for too long, and now we're seeking revenge. It's ridiculous and I hate it. Revenge is not the Hufflepuff style!

facingthenorthwind

A spoiler about who you should take with you when you do the thing (you'll know it) in year 2:

Spoiler

Learn from my mistake and take Ben. I'm sorry, Ben, Penny seemed like a better option with her potions proficiency! Serves me right. 

Recent Badges

Hufflepuffbookworm1990

I took Ben the first time. I might take him again since I have no friendship with Penny. I'm in Year 2, Chapter  6 or 7

DanyFire

I just started Year 2 and I really hate how Snape and Merula freaking hate me (I'm in Slytherin). I'm like "REALLY?!" If Merula pulls any stunts this year, she is going down. I freaking hate her.

scooterbug8515

Oh MY!

Spoiler

I'm not sure if I've reached the side quest Quidditch part you're talking about (for context: just found Ben in the cursed ice), but currently we're on this side quest to "get revenge on Slytherin" or whatever. Jane, my prefect who I kinda hate, believes it's time for us to stop being kind to Slytherin and that we've put up with them for too long, and now we're seeking revenge. It's ridiculous and I hate it. Revenge is not the Hufflepuff style!

I am surprised by this!  I wondered what would happen here.  My house decided to knock Gryffindor down a few pegs for bragging about winning the match.  I wonder if Ravenclaw will do similar only against Gryffindor.

Ravenclaw players if you are in year 2 will you weigh in, please?  You need to be post the Quidditch match in year 2.

clevernotbrilliant

Ravenclaw here!

Spoiler

So we break into the Gryffindor common room during the match and then we do the same thing as Ravenclaw. We plan ot take revenge on Slytherin for being general jerks. Kinda really disappointing tbh...

facingthenorthwind

I have accidentally spent gems to refill my energy three times now, does anyone have any tips to stop accidentally doing that? :( I'm not super cut up about it because I haven't spent any money but you know, it's frustrating.

Recent Badges