Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • Fic Feud is the current House Cup event!
  • Good luck to all the writers doing Camp NaNo. See you in the Crazies' Cafe!
  • Enjoy the new themes! To change them choose the "Themes" dropdown at the bottom of the page.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

April Bulletin   04/01/2018

April's Bulletin has been posted! You can find it +here!
Dr Win

Switching from Fanfiction to Original Fiction

LunaStellaCat

I gave up.  

It was not until very,  very recently that I realized this happened.  A friend asked me if I had written.  And I said no.  I mean, I do the November thing.  And I write fanfiction.  It has been about five years since I have written, really seriously written anything of my own.  

Now, fan fiction is a great starting point and I won’t say anything aganist it because I still do it.  It dawned on me that JKR has a story that is twenty years old and it is, after all, her story.   Not mine.   How long will I be hiding?  Will I ever start writing or am I settling?  A moderator on a different forum told me recently I am not a good writer, and this is thus why I hide behind fan fiction.  

This person was half right.  I left the forum, of course, but I realized Rowling was in her late twenties.  Her story is 20 years old.  If I am not going to write, truly give it a go, then why did I want to write in the first place?   Why am I trying to fit a square in a circle?   It needs to get on paper.  That person was right.  Rude, ironically, but whatever.  Truth is truth.  So, I am attempting a hard look at my life and doing this thing.  Will anyone read what Anne Lamott calls my shitty first drafts?   

No.  I am not a good writer.  But I have a newfound whatever and I am putting pen to paper and telling myself not to hit the Delete button.  Starting with short stories.  

Baby steps, baby steps.  

• Like 1

scooterbug8515
On 9/10/2017 at 11:20 AM, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

So I'm now at this weird part of my writing where I feel like all I want to write is original fiction. I think I've written like one or two pieces of fan fiction recently (recently being like this year :facepalm:) and I'm struggling to maintain both. Did anyone else switch from fan fiction to a ton of original fiction? 

I did, I did a cold hard switch at one point in my life.  I honestly hadn't been writing that much fanfic at the time but I was like "Why am I wasting time on fanfic when I want to write original?"  So I did a hard switch.  It was easy at first I did a lot of work a lot of growing and kept up with RP (helps me to write daily and think about stories uniquely)  Then I hit a wall, a nasty wall of crippling self doubt where I loathed everything original I had.  It locked me up on writing hardcore.  So I looked at my life, looked at my writing and realized that I liked it when the words didn't matter when it was okay if it was crap that I was writing.  Thus I returned to fanfiction, starting with a re-write because no new ideas just making better what already existed and get some real feedback and have fun.  It finally knocked some things loose.

Now that things are loose, my fanfictions are few and far between now.  I'm slow to update anything.  I post a few original short stories here and there, why?  I'm back at the original fiction thing?  Do I have a lot? Not really but I'm working on an outline (new thing for me) and developing a whole world of my own not just fitting a story into real life (like my murder mystery).  I am having a blast though doubt rears it's ugly head from time to time but that is where fanfic comes in.  Practice the writing get some feed back feel better and then keep working on that original.

• Like 2

TheGoldenKneazle

My particular struggle with writing OF (and I have tended to swing between OF and FF very frequently because of this) is that I seem to lose my ability to write with both style and snappy characterisation. Everything becomes 2D, representing what I want to fit in to the story, rather than the characterisation and style I've developed within FF. And the minute I pretend to myself my main characters are just next-gen OCs, suddenly they become 3D again and I have ideas springing to mind rather than being worked for.

Maybe it's a confidence thing - having spent so long exploring the world of HPFF in particular, and The 100 and Percy Jackson after that, we all know the ins and outs of the worlds pretty well, and what's been overdone etc. 

• Like 1

LunaStellaCat

Here’s what I have noticed after giving this a serious push for two weeks.  

I can breathe again.  I am not stuck within the confines of trying to make something fit into a world that was created years ago. I can create a world, especially since I am aware of my weaknesses and know that new, undiscovered weaknesses will follow.  I really feel as though I am meeting myself again.  It has been years since I have written- really written- and I forgot that person.  

Is it an awful first first draft?   Yeah.  Am I terrified about sharing my first drafts for the first time? You bet.  Will anyone read it?  No. JKR wrote while she was depressed.  You have these characters who are your sole invention in your head.  I can’t wait to get off work so that I can peck away at a word processor.  Scrivener is my new best friend.   

Harry moved on.  So should I.  I have recently come to this whatever moment in my life.  I haven’t had something that was mine in ages.  Will I come back to fan fiction?  Maybe.  Bu5 if I don’t try to do this dream or goal, am I a writer?

• Like 2