Jump to content

Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • The House Cup finale will commence shortly!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
sapphicsunrise

The Vocational Challenge | 1 August 2018

Recommended Posts

sapphicsunrise

Challenge Name:  The Vocational Challenge
Challenge Deadline: 1 August 2018
Accepted Fandom(s):  HP or OF
Accepted Ratings: all. go nuts
Challenge Details: 

the premise of this challenge is pretty simple: write a story centred around a career, job, vocation or workplace. i don't know about you, but all my fave tv shows are centred around careers or workplaces (brooklyn 99, parks and rec, call the midwife, classics like scrubs and the office, etc etc), but it's not something i see much of in fic. so let's fix that. fill the archive with some sweet sweet workplace tales.

so what would a qualifying story for this challenge look like?
1) it can be prewritten. if you have something that fits the bill, enter it. it should have been updated this year to qualify but i can be flexible.
2) you can combine it with other challenges.
3) it should focus on a job, career, or workplace. that doesn't mean you have a workplace as the background for your steamy fluffy romance, it doesn't mean being partnered together on the job is a plot device for a ship. i'm not saying you can't have romance, but that it shouldn't be the focus of the story.
4) the more detail about the job, the better. get detailed. get creative. i want that feeling where you binge-watch seven seasons of a terrible police procedural and decide you could totally be a detective. gimme that vibe.
5) write as many chapters as you like. i'll accept WIPs as long as there are three or more chapters posted by the deadline.
Rewards: 
1) i will review all entries
2) i will make some mediocre graphics for first through third winners and, if applicable, honourable mentions. its the thought that counts
3) eternal glory

please comment whether you're a maybe or a taker, and a vague sense of the career/job/sector you're writing about. have fun!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pixileanin

*raises hand*  I've got one.  It's completely failed at being a Soulmate AU, but I think you'll love the details of Auror Office paperwork and Gringotts Curse-Breaker stuff.  When it clears the queue, it'll have four chapters, and the story is complete.  I just finished it over the weekend, so it's all shiny and new!

As for pre-written, would you like to see a Potions Masters Apprenticeship interview?

Or Borgin and Burkes expanding their business opportunities?

James Sirius Potter in the business of Magical Item smuggling?

Newt Scamander managing his corporate holdings?

*eyes Author's Page*

How many do you want, exactly?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

facingthenorthwind

Oh god, maybe this will finally force me to start posting my Imperio Fic. Does it work if it's kind of someone doing a job that is not strictly theirs? Say, if they were a Ministry Prosecutor (much like the Crown Law Office) and there was a weird spate of Imperius cases and the Auror division refused to investigate it so they had to team up secretly with a junior Auror Susan Bones to solve the mystery of why all these Imperius curses keep popping up...........

And also like, some minor smooching, and also a magical Roomba racing league (Arthur Weasley is the reigning champion and all his children watch him compete).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

MuggleMaybe

I have a fic in which post-hogwarts justin finch-fletchy gets a summer job as Muggle Laiason for Hogwarts (essentially delivering letters and explaining that magic is real). It's designed to be episodic. If I update it, would that qualify? I've wanted to get back to it anyway :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

forever_dreaming

I have an idea of a skunkworks department in the Ministry :D Or maybe a Rosalind-Franklin-inspired piece that I was going to write for Women’s History Month but didn’t have the chance to :( Either way, I’m a tentative taker :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sapphicsunrise
On 5/9/2018 at 11:31 PM, Pixileanin said:

*raises hand*  I've got one.  It's completely failed at being a Soulmate AU, but I think you'll love the details of Auror Office paperwork and Gringotts Curse-Breaker stuff.  When it clears the queue, it'll have four chapters, and the story is complete.  I just finished it over the weekend, so it's all shiny and new!

As for pre-written, would you like to see a Potions Masters Apprenticeship interview?

Or Borgin and Burkes expanding their business opportunities?

James Sirius Potter in the business of Magical Item smuggling?

Newt Scamander managing his corporate holdings?

*eyes Author's Page*

How many do you want, exactly?

the new story sounds great! as for the pre-writtens, i don't have a set limit for the number of entries you can submit, but i'm also not looking for anyone to dump the entire contents of their AP into the pool either - three is probably a good limit, as long as they've all been written in 2018

On 5/10/2018 at 12:04 AM, facingthenorthwind said:

Oh god, maybe this will finally force me to start posting my Imperio Fic. Does it work if it's kind of someone doing a job that is not strictly theirs? Say, if they were a Ministry Prosecutor (much like the Crown Law Office) and there was a weird spate of Imperius cases and the Auror division refused to investigate it so they had to team up secretly with a junior Auror Susan Bones to solve the mystery of why all these Imperius curses keep popping up...........

And also like, some minor smooching, and also a magical Roomba racing league (Arthur Weasley is the reigning champion and all his children watch him compete).

it does count, as long as there's plenty of detail about the job(s) involved!

On 5/11/2018 at 2:44 PM, Chelts-rhj said:

I have been working on an Arthur Weasley fic that would be great for this too! It has 2 chapters already. 

Adventures of Arthur Weasley: Detective Games

brilliant!

On 5/11/2018 at 4:59 PM, MuggleMaybe said:

I have a fic in which post-hogwarts justin finch-fletchy gets a summer job as Muggle Laiason for Hogwarts (essentially delivering letters and explaining that magic is real). It's designed to be episodic. If I update it, would that qualify? I've wanted to get back to it anyway :) 

absolutely, sounds good!

On 5/11/2018 at 10:39 PM, forever_dreaming said:

I have an idea of a skunkworks department in the Ministry :D Or maybe a Rosalind-Franklin-inspired piece that I was going to write for Women’s History Month but didn’t have the chance to :( Either way, I’m a tentative taker :) 

excellent!

takers:

  • Pixileanin
  • foreverdreaming
  • Chelts-rhj
  • MuggleMaybe

maybes

  • facingthenorthwind

entries

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LunaStellaCat

I have been seriously writing on my writing and this takes me away from OF but I’m going to do a Kingsley Shacklebolt as MoM.  (Because the Auror thing is so overdone. It’s so done.  :))  And a press secretary.  

Also, I am working on a piece that is OF about a chef at a five star hotel.  The piece focuses on the Four Seasons.  May I do that as well?  

 

Two pieces?  I need to have a reason to have a deadline there.  

 

I’ll be a taker?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LunaStellaCat

@sapphicsunrise being in a rock band is a vocation right?  Totally doing the Weird Sisters. Mine.  Yass🤗

Multiple enteries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheGoldenKneazle

Oooh I want to do one on being a Healer! But I'm gonna have to be a maybe because degree :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rumpelstiltskin

I'm in love with Call the Midwife :hearteyes: .

Anyway, I'd like to be a maybe but I'll have to get back to you on just what I'm doing for it vocational-wise because I have no idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sapphicsunrise

brilliant!

takers:

  • Pixileanin
  • foreverdreaming
  • Chelts-rhj
  • MuggleMaybe
  • LunaStellaCat

maybes

  • facingthenorthwind
  • TheGoldenKneazle
  • Rumpelstiltskin

entries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

potionspartner

I'm a maybe. I have an idea, but I never know if it will work out until my fingers hit the keyboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

sapphicsunrise
5 hours ago, potionspartner said:

I'm a maybe. I have an idea, but I never know if it will work out until my fingers hit the keyboard.

no worries!

takers:

  • Pixileanin
  • foreverdreaming
  • Chelts-rhj
  • MuggleMaybe
  • LunaStellaCat

maybes

  • facingthenorthwind
  • TheGoldenKneazle
  • Rumpelstiltskin
  • potionspartner

entries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FoxPatronus

Soooo... the second portion of the series I'm writing could potentially fit this, and you definitely see a ton of the day to day jobs of the two MCs. Actually, most of the chapters feature their jobs very heavily, and there will only be a few scenes where they're even in the same place together. But it's for sure a romance and that features heavily, as well. Would that count? If so, I'm in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

facingthenorthwind

my entry which has the alternate title "dicks out for a functional wizarding justice system", but also the sensible title of bring your curses home+hpft (m) | +ao3 (m)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

BellaLestrange87

I'll be a maybe with the Department of International Magical Cooperation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

LunaStellaCat

I'm rewriting a political drama piece.  "Madam Secretary" is helping? 


Marionette (M)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sapphicsunrise
On 6/10/2018 at 6:57 AM, FoxPatronus said:

Soooo... the second portion of the series I'm writing could potentially fit this, and you definitely see a ton of the day to day jobs of the two MCs. Actually, most of the chapters feature their jobs very heavily, and there will only be a few scenes where they're even in the same place together. But it's for sure a romance and that features heavily, as well. Would that count? If so, I'm in.

i'm a bit hesitant about this, to be honest - romance can be a feature for qualifying stories, but it can't be a focus, and this sounds like it falls on the wrong side of that divide sorry! also - and this is a general clarification - entries should be standalone (ie. not chapters in a larger novel, or sequels that rely on existing works)

On 6/11/2018 at 12:46 AM, facingthenorthwind said:

my entry which has the alternate title "dicks out for a functional wizarding justice system", but also the sensible title of bring your curses home+hpft (m) | +ao3 (m)

dicks out for a functional wizarding justice system thank you

takers:

  • Pixileanin
  • foreverdreaming
  • Chelts-rhj
  • MuggleMaybe
  • LunaStellaCat

maybes

  • facingthenorthwind
  • TheGoldenKneazle
  • Rumpelstiltskin
  • potionspartner
  • BellaLestrange87

entries

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

facingthenorthwind
Posted (edited)

While this is also going up on hpft, could I request that you read the version on ao3? I worked so hard on the coding for +chapter 2 [m] of 'dicks out for a functional wizarding justice system'.

Edited by facingthenorthwind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

MadiMalfoy

I've currently got 2 chapters of a short story posted about Trelawney's years immediately after Hogwarts where she owns a shop, and am planning on writing more of it (or even finishing it, who knows?!) this summer, so I'll jump into this challenge!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PaulaTheProkaryote

I have like 87 plunnies for this so i'll be a taker brb while I actually write something for the first time in months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

starbuck

is a hit wizard squad on a black ops mission good for this? if so, i'm a taker :duel:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

starbuck

if the hit-wizard-squad-black-ops-thingie :P is okay then here's my entry:  No Mercy. [M]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


×