News Ticker

#WriterProbs

grumpy cat

i was just thinking up my OC's family members and it was supposed to be just a tiny description of each (their name, profession, a little bit of personality and hogwarts house if they went there). i ended up writing two pages of info about her grandfather. i don't think i have that much info about my OC?! so maybe the cool grandpa should get his own story :P

does that happen to you? do you have any funny writer's problems you want to share? then this game is for you! :D

anyhow, for this game, just write a (funny/silly) writer's problem. i'll start with mine ^  (we have a similar game on TDA started by that guy. called #TDAProbs - this is where the inspiration for this came. but it's also kind of similar to first world problems or even FML)

1.  making up an original character's family only to end up with more info on her grandfather than her.

• Like 2

I think this is less of a #WriterProb and more of a #EvaIsDumbProb but

2. getting confused between fandoms and writing "Dean" instead of "Drew" for two whole pages

• Haha 3

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

This is #WriterProbs with a delicate undertone of #SendHelp

3. sitting down to scribble out a basic outline and winding up with several three-ringed binders, notebooks, and a sticky-note diagram on the wall, whose total sum wordcount of information and explanations double the expected word count of the ACTUAL PIECE you're writing

4. Adding clickbait titles to my fics, just so people will give them a try. (number 5 will shock you!)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5. Having characters, complete backstories and headcanons about everyone and their mother, entire conversations, a load of emotional waffle, etc. at the ready but STILL NO PLOT.

• Like 6

6. Having an exact idea of how a scene is supposed to play out, and then getting to the end of writing said scene and realising that literally nothing went how you expected it to but now you’re so attached to it that you can’t change it and you have to re-do the way you plot out the next 5 chapters as a result.

• Like 3

May I add 7. Characters running away from you and taking the plot into their own hands and 8. Complaining about writing more than actually writing.

• Like 4

9. falling in love with other people's stories to the point where you forget about writing altogether and just binge-read

10. also um when you're bad at math and you have to calculate everyone's birthdays

• Like 3

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

11. becoming so infuriated with one of your characters for not cooperating that you kill them off multiple times, but have to go back through and rewrite because that would completely ruin your plot <_<

Wait ahh I just thought of more I have so many problems

12. Getting too impatient about an upcoming scene/chapter that you can't write anything else until you've written that one part and now you're going completely out of order by writing chapter 41 before you've even started chapter 38

13. Spending hours trying to work in this one tiny detail that you're passionate about including, only to realize that there's logistically no way on earth to make it work

14. Going back to plot notes you made five years ago and trying to figure out what the heck you were trying to accomplish with some of that nonsense

• Like 2

Great topic! :D

15. When you are really, really struggling to figure out how to get to the end of a novel and your muse goes like: "Ah, who cares? Instead, what would you say if in the sequel of the sequel of the sequel happened this and this and that?" (My recent relationship with Jimmy Portman... :headwall:)

• Like 2

This topic is all to relatable! 

16. Being determined to finish at least one of the many WIPs already started... Only to sit down and be instantly distracted by a shiny new story idea that just popped into your head and needs to be written down.

• Like 3

Oh gosh, all of these aren't just relateable but also too funny as well! 

17. When you're trying to write the name of your character but autocorrect decides that character's name is instead a word but it's not and have a constant battle trying to change it and or making sure that autocorrect doesn't correct you for typing a name instead of a word because of how similar they are spelled. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

18. when someone at work asks you what you're writing in your little black book during break and you hurriedly slam it shut and hideput it under a bunch of papers then pretend that wasn't super weird and sneaky and answer: "nothing!". also add in a probably psycho-looking smile as a follow up.

19. Do you have a plot? No. Do you have a vague outline of what you want to achieve? No. Then what do you have???? A really cute "almost" moment where these two canon characters almost kiss BUT THEY DON'T and essentially I need a plot just so I can have a chapter where this scene features. This thirty second scene? This irrelevant but adorable scene?!?!! Yeah that's the one! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20. When you have ideas/motivation to write, you have no time or have more important RL things to do. When those RL things are finished, you have writer's block. :headwall:

21. You decide to handwrite a chapter so you can't get distracted by the Internet. It's a good idea, except you then get distracted trying to read your ridiculously illegible handwriting.

• Like 2

22. when a potentially incredibly cool&interesting character appears in your story out of nowhere and you have no idea how to incorporate them into the main plot and not just leave them as a totally minor character

• Like 2

23. When the dialogue dies between two characters but you need them to keep talking so that they can discuss stuff that's relevant to the plot .-. 

24. When you realize that the story you're writing is basically your life and you just wrote your ex's character as a horrible person even though you're still secretly in love with him. 

• Sad 1

25. When you're crying at two a.m. because a chapter you said would get written before midnight was most certainly Not Written and you just want to sleep but also you need to finish the chapter otherwise it will plague you for the rest of your life

• Like 1

26. When you spend more time picking a face-claim for a character that'll show up once than actually writing the chapter.

• Like 2

27. when you write for everything else but your WIP.

28. that feel when you don't know the word you want to use so you bring out the dictionary only to realize that the word you want doesn't exist in every dictionary you checked.

29. being obsessed with a character and being able to write only them; if you are writing a story with someone else as a main, the character you are Obsessed with will make a cameo and/or become a main. (i have this problem with albus potter lmfao)

30. technically, planning your story should help you write your story, but then your characters decide that they don't wanna do that and do something else entirely which skews the whole outline so you have to outline again, only to realize your characters don't like that either--

31. When you decide to simultaneously write a fluff piece and an angst piece at the same time using the same characters and switching back and forth between the two gives you emotional whiplash.

32. Trying to write an argument scene that ends in one of the characters angrily storming out but they refuse to cooperate and keep apologizing to each other.

33. Realizing you're never going to be able to write a story that's not rated M because you literally cannot stop yourself from using the f-word in every single thing you write.

• Like 3

^ I relate to #33 so much omg.

34. poetry

• Haha 1

35. When you think you've filled a plot hole only to realize that you haven't, and in actuality you've created another one:facepalm:

• Like 1