Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the new badges we have available.
  • Why did Professor Snape stand in the middle of the road?
  • So you'll never know which side he's on.
just.a.willow.tree

What Language Do You Dream In?

just.a.willow.tree

Or: "What language do you think in?"

I started a similar topic over at TDA a few years ago, and I was curious about the responses here. ^_^

A bit of context: I was at a music camp three years ago, and one of the instructors was from Quebec. And I think I asked him whether he was more fluent in French or English, or something, because he told me that at the moment, he was more fluent in English. And he knew that because his dreams were in English. He said that for a period of time, when he went back to Canada, he dreamt in French.

The same applies for thoughts, I think.

I know there are a lot of people from all around the world on HPFT, so I was really curious to see which language your mind subconsciously thinks as your dominant language. As for me, it's just English. :P All of my dreams are in English, my thoughts are formulated in English, and in the few times when I have heard Mandarin being spoken in my dream, it's only when I'm imagining my mother speaking it to me.

So, what about you guys?

Felpata_Lupin

I dream almost exclusively in Italian, but (with all the time I virtually spend with you guys) I do think in English at times. :P 

I definitely think directly in English when I'm talking to you guys or writing fanfic or whatever, except the occasional word or expression that I only know how to express in Italian and have to Google...

I'm not quite sure if the English in my head actually sounds like English at all... :hmm: But that's another matter... xD

• Like 1

starbuck

i dream in a combination of croatian&english :P

but when i'm planning out stuff for my fic or even for TDA (for various events or just thinking up how a graphic will look like) then it's almost exclusively in english.

back when you posted that topic on TDA i think my answer was 'croatian' and apparently that changed now (it's been 4 years and in those 4 years i've spent my every day on TDA and only read books in english so i guess that was a major influence)

• Like 1

MalfoysAngel

I would have to say everything I do is in English because that's the only language I'm fluent in. 

• Like 2

Rainbow-tui

A mixture of nonverbal/emotional communication and English (my dreams are often journeys to odd and fantastical places where things just happen, words usually aren't necessary or included).

Off topic just cause I really need to say this somewhere-sometimes I really wish that I was different, that I was more outgoing and sometimes even pushy, not always going for the nicest/simplest option available. That I had the courage to speak to people I don't know, and actually make conversation in groups and get to know people that way. I just wish that I could join in and play games or whatever with people instead of sidelining myself, instead of being comfortable only with small groups or people I know well. I like who I am, what I am doing and where I might be headed, but just sometimes I wish.

Alopex
2 hours ago, Rainbow-tui said:

Off topic just cause I really need to say this somewhere-sometimes I really wish that I was different, that I was more outgoing and sometimes even pushy, not always going for the nicest/simplest option available. That I had the courage to speak to people I don't know, and actually make conversation in groups and get to know people that way. I just wish that I could join in and play games or whatever with people instead of sidelining myself, instead of being comfortable only with small groups or people I know well. I like who I am, what I am doing and where I might be headed, but just sometimes I wish.

I'm sorry if this is pushy. For HPFT specific stuff, you should definitely poke your nose into the Slytherin CR! It's a smaller, cozier group than the site at large, and there are quite a few really friendly people there like @Rumpelstiltskin and @starbuck and @Nix just to name a few. There are a couple low stress activities you could jump into, like hot seat reviews and reading the Book Club story and posting in some of the game threads if any interest you (I know you said that wasn't really your thing, but sometimes it can be different online compared to face to face since there's more distance involved). You don't really have to talk to people that way if it's outside your comfort zone, but you can still be involved.

• Like 4

Recent Badges

starbuck

Yessss! @Rainbow-tui i'm always open to talking about anything :bighug:

• Like 2

Rainbow-tui

Thanks, no worries, I just went to this thing last night...and well, got annoyed at myself. Out of curiosity though, do any of you have recurring themes in your dreams? 

Margaret

I dream in English and 99.9999999% of the time also think in English. I have on very rare occasions thought in Irish, usually if I am teaching Irish (I am not an Irish teacher, but I did do a year of Irish in college so I will sometimes be asked to teach say a 1st year class - 12/13 year olds - or to cover some classes if a school is stuck) or in a Gaelscoil (school that teaches through Irish) and have the language in my head. I have also occasionally made a conscious choice to think in Irish. I am talking very rare occasions that I would think in Irish though, like maybe a handful of times in my life.

potionspartner

Once, when I was studying German, I dreamed of someone correcting my grammar which, of course, meant I was correcting my own grammar. 

Recent Badges

dirigibleplums

i remember a few years ago in those moments when it really hits you that the world is not just about you, i realised that my parents absorb the world in bangla/sylheti while i only do it in english. (so to answer the q: i dream in english! ;)) it's sort of odd to think that not everyone processes things the same as you since your way is the only way you really know. also! so many hpfters speak multiple languages and don't always have english as their first but they're so good at using it that it completely slips my mind that they don't always speak it. like you're all better at english than me half the time tbh and it's basically my only language 😂😂

but yes, i dream and think in english. any bangla is translated to english in my head, though i can instinctively say some stuff without having to translate first

Theia

honestly, i don't think i dream in any language. or at least, I don't remember ever having dreams in which people actually speak or i speak to myself?? it's mostly a mixture of images and emotions so in the off-chance that i do remember something the next morning i would know what happened but no speech or interactions and it would be a whirlwind of feelings. and by extension, i mostly think in terms of images and emotions - most of my thinking happens really fast unless i consciously slow down and start talking to myself in my head - which is usually in english.

interestingly, people are said to have about 70 thoughts a minute, which is roughly one thought in under a second. and i think this is the experience i'm trying to get at here? i mean, during the actual process of thinking, it's too fast for me to even process a language until i slow down and bring my thoughts down to the speed i talk in, if that makes sense. 

Edited by Theia

Recent Badges

Rainbow-tui
On 8/10/2018 at 1:19 PM, potionspartner said:

Once, when I was studying German, I dreamed of someone correcting my grammar which, of course, meant I was correcting my own grammar. 

Lol

facingthenorthwind
On 8/10/2018 at 11:19 AM, potionspartner said:

This exact thing happened to me last week, except with Hebrew. 😧 I was explaining possessive suffixes in my dream. When will Hebrew let me rest.