Challenge Name: The Cultural Diversity Challenge Challenge Deadline: Friday, 17 August 2018 Accepted Fandom(s): Harry Potter, OF Accepted Ratings: up to Mature Challenge Details: This challenge was inspired by a recent conversation I had on the Diversity in Next Gen! thread. We were discussing cultural diversity in fic and it made me realize how little I know about foreign (to me) cultures. I personally want to learn more so that I can engage with diverse people and so that I can authentically represent them in my writing. This challenge is a way for all of us to do just that. It's simple. Choose a culture that is foreign to you and write a story in which one or more characters practice that culture. Obviously no single character can be the spokesperson for their entire culture, and this story can only be a glimpse at a greater whole, but it will give us a taste of cultural diversity and make the archives an even more inclusive place. Consideration will be given to how naturally you incorporate the culture into your story. NO EXPOSITION. I don't want to read an essay on the culture, I want to see how it plays out in a character's day-to-day life. I want to see it in action. If you need help choosing a culture, I have a list of 35 options that may be used as inspiration--so feel free to choose a number. There are no limits to how many people can "claim" the same culture. As I said above, it is impossible to capture the full complexity of a culture from one perspective, as each person embodies their culture differently. On top of that, there are so many aspects of a culture to explore: religious practices, familial structure, traditions, art and literature, social interaction, food, language, etc. So please, the more the merrier. Rules: Must be posted on the HPFT archives if you want a review. Must have "for Unwritten Curse's Cultural Diversity Challenge" somewhere in the summary or story notes. The story can be any length, but if it's a chaptered fic, you must have at least two chapters posted so that I can get a sense of plot progression. You cannot enter a prewritten story, but you can combine with other challenges. Multiple entries are allowed. Rewards: Every entry will receive a review. Third place will receive three prize reviews and a challenge graphic. Second place will receive five prize reviews and a challenge graphic. First place will receive seven prize reviews, a challenge graphic, and ad space in my signature for a month. I'm super excited to see what y'all come up with! And please feel free to ask me any questions that come up.