Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Staff/prefect applications are open!
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
  • Claim your badges!
  • Check out the new emoji options.
Sign in to follow this  
Unwritten Curse

The Cultural Diversity Challenge | 17 August 2018

Unwritten Curse

Challenge Name: The Cultural Diversity Challenge

Challenge Deadline: Friday, 17 August 2018

Accepted Fandom(s): Harry Potter, OF

Accepted Ratings: up to Mature

Challenge Details: This challenge was inspired by a recent conversation I had on the Diversity in Next Gen! thread. We were discussing cultural diversity in fic and it made me realize how little I know about foreign (to me) cultures. I personally want to learn more so that I can engage with diverse people and so that I can authentically represent them in my writing. This challenge is a way for all of us to do just that.

It's simple. Choose a culture that is foreign to you and write a story in which one or more characters practice that culture. Obviously no single character can be the spokesperson for their entire culture, and this story can only be a glimpse at a greater whole, but it will give us a taste of cultural diversity and make the archives an even more inclusive place.

Consideration will be given to how naturally you incorporate the culture into your story. NO EXPOSITION. I don't want to read an essay on the culture, I want to see how it plays out in a character's day-to-day life. I want to see it in action.

If you need help choosing a culture, I have a list of 35 options that may be used as inspiration--so feel free to choose a number. There are no limits to how many people can "claim" the same culture. As I said above, it is impossible to capture the full complexity of a culture from one perspective, as each person embodies their culture differently. On top of that, there are so many aspects of a culture to explore: religious practices, familial structure, traditions, art and literature, social interaction, food, language, etc. So please, the more the merrier.

Rules:

• Must be posted on the HPFT archives if you want a review.
  • Must have "for Unwritten Curse's Cultural Diversity Challenge" somewhere in the summary or story notes.
  • The story can be any length, but if it's a chaptered fic, you must have at least two chapters posted so that I can get a sense of plot progression.
  • You cannot enter a prewritten story, but you can combine with other challenges.
  • Multiple entries are allowed.

Rewards:

• Every entry will receive a review.
  • Third place will receive three prize reviews and a challenge graphic.
  • Second place will receive five prize reviews and a challenge graphic.
  • First place will receive seven prize reviews, a challenge graphic, and ad space in my signature for a month.

I'm super excited to see what y'all come up with! :yay: And please feel free to ask me any questions that come up.

• Like 1

Recent Badges

sunshine_locks

sounds like a fun challenge!! can i be a maybe?

Unwritten Curse
21 minutes ago, sunshine_locks said:

sounds like a fun challenge!! can i be a maybe?

You betcha! Any idea what culture you'd like to explore?

TAKERS

MAYBES

• sunshine_locks

Recent Badges

StarFeather

I am maybe with OF, the protagonist makes musical instruments in Nordic country(ies).

Edited by StarFeather

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind

I have plans for a story involving a Māori Quidditch player, but.....I really shouldn't start another WIP.......so I'll be a maybe? 

Recent Badges

Unwritten Curse
9 hours ago, StarFeather said:

I am maybe with OF, the protagonist makes musical instruments in Nordic country(ies).

This sounds AWESOME.

9 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:

I have plans for a story involving a Māori Quidditch player, but.....I really shouldn't start another WIP.......so I'll be a maybe? 

Okay, I am totally going to bug you until you post this because I NEED TO READ THIS. Sorry. I'm a WIP enabler.

TAKERS

MAYBES

• sunshine_locks
  • StarFeather - Nordic
  • facingthenorthwind - Māori

Recent Badges

sunshine_locks

probably indian, because i actually know very little about it. so it'd be a nice dive in. i'm assuming the fic doesn't revolve around the culture?

Rumpelstiltskin

I'd love to be a maybe with [most likely] OF and I think I'd really like to explore Latvian culture. 

Unwritten Curse
17 hours ago, sunshine_locks said:

probably indian, because i actually know very little about it. so it'd be a nice dive in. i'm assuming the fic doesn't revolve around the culture?

It's up to you. If you want to focus your story on a specific ritual/tradition of the culture you have chosen, you can. Or you can focus on an unrelated plot and incorporate aspects of the culture throughout. I'm cool with either as long as you don't delve into a long, in-depth explanation of the culture. I want you to practice the "show, don't tell" rule. Make sense?

16 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

I'd love to be a maybe with [most likely] OF and I think I'd really like to explore Latvian culture. 

Sounds great! :thumbsup:

TAKERS

MAYBES

• sunshine_locks - Indian
  • StarFeather - Nordic
  • facingthenorthwind - Māori
  • Rumpelstiltskin - Latvian

Recent Badges

Chelts-rhj

Could I be a maybe with Deaf culture? 

• Like 2

Recent Badges