Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
Sign in to follow this  
ShadowRose

{mostly but not limited to} Complicated by ShadowRose

ShadowRose
Posted (edited)

Hello hello! I wasn't planning on finishing this novel nest for a couple of days or so (I'm the worst at leaving unfinished posts open on my desktop for like a week) but I accidentally hit a button in the middle of typing this and published a version that literally only contained the first few words so now we're stuck posting it now. 😂

NaNo Word Count Goal: 20k

When I did NaNo in April, I thought I was going to finish Complicated somewhere in that 25k word goal. EL OH FREAKING EL. Despite all that writing in April (and in May... and June), I still have (at least) five chapters to write, and they all keep turning out relatively long, so my goal for NaNo is to finish them - which will likely end up being somewhere around 15k words. Unless, of course, my secondary characters decide to start even more drama. It'd be nice to have all the chapters finished in July so that I can be posting them throughout the month and into August (which will hopefully give me time to properly plan out the sequel-that-was-never-supposed-to-happen-but-won't-let-me-leave-it-alone).

Other projects include my Prefect's Challenge Entry (a fluffy Scorbus piece that also includes a Draco redemption arc) and whatever odd story idea inevitably possesses me in the middle of the month.

Edited by ShadowRose

beyond the rain

Hey Taylor! I'm here with questions! 

1. I've only completed a novel once...and I was 12 so it doesn't count :P How does it feel knowing that your fic could be finished soon? 

2. What advice would you give to anyone writing a slow burn? 

3. What are Abby's favourite and least favourite things about James? And vice versa! 

I hope you enjoy answering them! 

Recent Badges

ShadowRose

Hi Bex!! :waving:

1. I've only completed a novel once...and I was 12 so it doesn't count :P How does it feel knowing that your fic could be finished soon? 

Simultaneously exciting and terrifying. It's crazy to think that, when this story is all said and done, it's going to be around 125k words... like, what?? And then to just smack a 'complete' label on it after all of that. I think it's less scary now that I have some concrete writing ideas to work on after I finish this novel, because for a while there I was convinced I was going to finish Complicated and my muse would shrivel up and die, haha.

2. What advice would you give to anyone writing a slow burn? 

To be honest, I didn't even know this story was going to be a slow burn until I looked at it one day and was like, 'huh, it takes these characters like 40 chapters to get their 💩 together so I should probably tag this as a slow burn.' But looking back, I think the key is really focusing on the interactions between the two characters and making tiny little progressions with each one (or most of them, at least - some conversations just have to be included because they're funny). Sometimes it's tiny things, like a 'wow, you're slightly more rational than I gave you credit for,' and sometimes it's bigger things, like 'oh shoot I think you want to kiss me.' Those little tiny progressions don't seem like much on their own, but they end up making for a nice gradual build when taken as a whole.

3. What are Abby's favourite and least favourite things about James? And vice versa! 

Abby's favorite thing about James is probably the fact that he makes her laugh and just... his overall goodness. She likes that when he does or says these really sweet things, he's not usually thinking about it all that deeply - it's more of a part of who he is than something he's actively trying to do. Her least favorite thing is definitely that he tends to dive into things headfirst without thinking of the consequences - he runs on intuition (which is nice sometimes but causes him to do stupid things on a lot of other occasions). James' favorite thing about Abby is probably how much she cares about the people she loves - she's totally willing to drop everything if he or Dom or anyone else they know is in need. I think that's also probably something that surprised him about her, because she's always been like that, even in her stuck-up popular girl phase, but he couldn't really see it until he got close to her. His least favorite thing is definitely that she tends to overthink things and as a result can be annoyingly stubborn. Ok wow this was a long answer but this question was so much fun. ❤️

• Like 1

800 words of heaven

I am so here for Draco redemption arcs, haha!

You say you only have about five chapters to go of Complicated. Are all of these planned out, just waiting to be written? Or are you more a "let's wing it" sort of writer?

ShadowRose

They’re somewhat planned out? My version of planning a story is writing down brief phrases for all the plot points and eventually assigning chapter numbers to them. So the rest of the novel is planned out by one phrase per chapter - which gives it a general guideline but a lot of room for random scenes to emerge (which happens quite a lot).

Rumpelstiltskin

Alright-y PenPal. I'm doing terribly this JulNo, but I thought I'd further my procrastination by at least sending you some encouraging thoughts and some questions!

1. Tell me something fun and enticing about Complicated, because I haven't read it yet.

2. What's your favorite part about writing a Next-Gen piece?

3. What do you find the most difficult about writing a Next-Gen piece?

4. List those Complicated face claims for me! Lay 'em on me. *has zero ulterior motive for asking* :shifty:

5. Have a cookie! 🍪 (Rumpel needs to go to bed.)

ShadowRose

Hi Penpal!! I'm also procrastinating by answering these questions, so it's a win all around.

1. Tell me something fun and enticing about Complicated, because I haven't read it yet.

You're not meant to like any of the main characters at the start of the story. And the narrator is the worst of all of them.

And my personal favorite line of dialogue in the entire story is, "It takes him about three to five business days to process emotion."

2. What's your favorite part about writing a Next-Gen piece?

I like that there's a lot of flexibility! Like yes, it's still fanfic and bound to some aspects of the world J.K. Rowling created, but there's more room for creativity in things like characterization and plot, since we don't know much about that era unless you count Cursed Child and I usually don't.

3. What do you find the most difficult about writing a Next-Gen piece?

This is the most random thing, but I hate that I can't make any pop culture references because it's like... the 2020s at that point. Although that's more of a nuisance than an actual difficulty. 🤷‍♀️

4. List those Complicated face claims for me! Lay 'em on me. *has zero ulterior motive for asking* :shifty:

Abby Winchester: Nina Dobrev

James Potter II: Chase Crawford

It's kind of a bit of an ensemble cast and I have face claims for most of them but that's like 20+ people so I'm just gonna cut myself off at the two main characters.

5. Have a cookie! (Rumpel needs to go to bed.)

Dang it, now I'm hungry. 😋 (I also need to go to bed but will inevitably be up for much longer.)

• Like 1

potionspartner

I'm rooting, hoping for you to finish Complicated during this NaNo. I can't wait to see the ending.

Recent Badges

RoxiMalfoy

Hi Taylor!!! :waving:  Just dropping by to deliver a little bit of inspiration for you for Complicated!!! (I ended up having a TON of pictures left over after I made your FF PicSpam, and I was feeling inspired, lol!!) 😅  You can totally finish thing, girl. You've so got this!!! 👍

lI6ozgy.jpg

Feel free to use this as you wish. 😉  I hope your JulNo is all going well, hun!!! ❤️💛

ShadowRose
On 7/11/2018 at 8:21 AM, potionspartner said:

I'm rooting, hoping for you to finish Complicated during this NaNo. I can't wait to see the ending.

Thank you!! I think this time I actually will be able to finish it within the month, seeing as I'm about halfway through the remaining chapters now. 😁

20 hours ago, RoxiMalfoy said:

Hi Taylor!!! :waving:  Just dropping by to deliver a little bit of inspiration for you for Complicated!!! (I ended up having a TON of pictures left over after I made your FF PicSpam, and I was feeling inspired, lol!!) 😅  You can totally finish thing, girl. You've so got this!!! 👍

I've already told you on Twitter just how much I love these picspams but it doesn't hurt to say again that asdfghjkl they're stunning and make me super happy to look at. :wub:

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this