Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • The House Cup finale will commence shortly!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
  • Ask about our Review Transfer Tool.
Sign in to follow this  
AltraX

Various, by AltraX

AltraX
Posted (edited)

Hiya! :waving:

I can’t help but join in Camp NaNo! I don’t think I usually get over 25K, if I get any words at all, but the opportunity to push myself into writing and rat races is just too enticing. So here I am. I have a loose goal of 25K, hopefully will be able to get over that with three different options for my muse to choose from/switch between. I’m also hoping this will help me ease back into writing and HPFT as I’ve become more of a lurker than anything else again. :ninjavanish:

So. My projects.

Title: Captain’s Keep

Summary: When all you’ve ever wanted is not all it’s cracked up to be.

Spoiler

It has returned from NaNoWriMo 2017! Resurrected! Fingers crossed it’s in a more cooperative state now that I’ve resituated half the back plot.

Enter: Miss Kinley Harper. Ravenclaw. Captain of the Ravenclaw Quidditch Team. 

Insert: Uncooperative Quidditch Team and stupid Ravenclaw Quidditch Team traditions. Oliver Wood. Rowan and Alexa Harper. Louis Murphy. And other complications.

The Gist: Kinley has to navigate her sixth year at Hogwarts and figure out what she really wants. In all aspects of her life. She’s dramatic at times, very real at others, and I just have a lot of her voice in my head. So. Should be good!

Title: Can’t Break Shadows

Summary: When have things ever gone according to plan? 

Spoiler

I am so excited for this one! It’s been chilling in the plotting pot for quite a while and I think now is as good of time as any to give it a spin! 

The general gist:

Enter Brooklyn Collins. Following her graduation from Hogwarts, she gets accepted into a program that will eventually lead to her becoming an Unspeakable in the Department of Mysteries. It’s a very difficult program to get into, with an expansive personal history search and a complicated contract that holds the participant to secrecy, no matter what they see or hear or do. She’s more than thrilled to have been accepted but is quite concerned when, a couple weeks into the program, she starts having the most bizarre symptoms. She gets dizzy, has life-like nightmares, burning in her right arm, seizure-like episodes and no one can quite pinpoint what’s causing it. Stranger yet, she keeps getting these thoughts that run in SEE, rather than the BSL she’s known for all her life. She starts in on the journey to figure out where her symptoms are coming from and comes to find out she didn’t make it into the program by coincidence. 

Other characters making an appearance: James Potter (II), Grace Cooper, Roxie Weasley, Liam Henderson, Travis Montgomery, Ari Loudain, Rogan Powe, Zoe Collins, (quite potentially another sibling I can’t recall the name of at the moment)

Other Important...Things: Aurora, Ratek, Sota 

[Working] Title: Year One

Summary: [Working on it?]

Spoiler

The idea:

Trainee Healer Reagan Plitt (Yes she’s the Plitt from Captain’s Keep, No I don’t want to talk about how this happened.) She’s (going through/gone through?) the training program to become a Healer. She’s got the title 'Healer' that goes before her name andnothing has ever given her such complicated feelings before. It’s wonderful, she can do what she loves, she feels excited and knowledgeable, she’s terrified about being in charge of people’s lives and doing all the right things and not pissing off the Head Healer, and actually knowing what she’s doing. With this title, she’s starting a (new job/the training program? This is really well plotted, I swear) in the Transitionary Ward (If anyone has a cool name for the ward….help.), the one that takes any witch or wizard admitted to the muggle hospital and transitions them over to being cared for by magic. This will probably be a series of short stories/one shots about her first years's experience in this ward and how she manages working in a very complex unit, mixing muggle and magical medicine, and learning what it is she really signed on for.

It is also an excellent way in which I'll be exploring what magical medicine may look like and how messy the cross over could be.

Feel free to share any comments, questions, concerns below. Otherwise...I'm excited to get the opportunity to start all this! :D

Edited by AltraX

beyond the rain

Hey, I'm here with some questions! 

1. Why is Kinley in ravenclaw? Talk me through her personality and traits! 

2. What position does Kinley play? 

3.Can't Break Shadows has such an interesting plot! How did you come up with it?

4. Which genre is easiest to write, and which one do you struggle with the most?

I hope these questions are okay!

Bex 

Recent Badges

800 words of heaven

Woot! So many options for your writing muse to choose from - and all of them sound excellent.

There's this line you said about Brooklyn not getting into the program by coincidence in Can't Break Shadows. If there's a rigorous applications process, no one gets in by coincidence, right? Everyone is chosen for a particular reason, namely, they meet the admission criteria. Is what you're trying to say that Brooklyn has a special reason to be in the program? Like, she meets all the admission criteria, but she's also extra (spooky) special, or that she doesn't meet the criteria at all, really (or maybe some of it) but she's still there because she's extra (spooky) special?

Can't Break Shadows sounds like The Bourne Identity and I'm so here for a spy thriller with a potentially sci-fi bend!

Ooh! I'm excited about the Healer story, too! I'm a student doctor, so if you'd like someone to bounce off medical ideas (or any ideas, really) my inbox is open and ready!

AltraX
On 6/20/2018 at 9:55 AM, beyond the rain said:

Hey, I'm here with some questions! 

1. Why is Kinley in ravenclaw? Talk me through her personality and traits! 

2. What position does Kinley play? 

3.Can't Break Shadows has such an interesting plot! How did you come up with it?

4. Which genre is easiest to write, and which one do you struggle with the most?

I hope these questions are okay!

Bex 

Hiya Bex! Thanks for stopping by and asking questions! I always love questions. 😊

1. Kinley was a very difficult character to place. She spent a lot of time hovering between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, because she has many attributes of both, but I think end of the day she’s in Ravenclaw because that’s where she wanted to be. A couple of her personality/trait things I’ve quite enjoyed learning of her character: 

• She’s one of those people who could probably name every person who has ever been at Hogwarts with her, including their year and their house. She may not know a ton of details past that, but she has a very good memory and spends a lot of time watching what goes on around her. 
  • She is one of the students who leads ‘Weekends on the Pitch.’ It was a thing that originally with Kinley and her group of friends (Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs) going to the pitch to play Quidditch, football, capture the flag or other muggle games. Slowly friends of friends started coming, and it grew to be this big club of sorts. The group gets together almost monthly (sometimes more, sometimes less) to play a variety of games. Kinley tends to organize what sorts of games are played and what sorts of numbers they need for each game/each round.
  • She tries to fit this picture she thinks her mom (and everyone else) expects her to be-Well performing student, well performing athlete, holding up the family name, with a stable boyfriend, and happy all the time. She puts a lot of pressure on herself to manage those types of things and when she feels it isn’t going well, she withdraws and doesn’t want to talk about it.

2.       Kinley is a Keeper.

3.       Can’t Break Shadows has actually lived as a little drabble (maybe 300 words?) for about a year now.  The scene initially came as an idea where James and Brooke were in something sort of like an escape room, except it was an old warehouse and it was supposed to be this fun little thing where they escape this building and have to avoid being hit by spells, but things started going wrong and Brooke gets kidnapped at the last second and that was it. I didn’t have any further plot developments until a month or two ago, in which my muse threw a plot bunny out there involving the Department of Mysteries and it sort of just fell into place.

4.       I think the easiest thing for me to write, and what I enjoy most, are things that focus on single moments and big emotions. I mean, I enjoy writing angst and that’s tends to be my go-to, but I can just as easily write a little romance or fluffy one shot focused on the emotions of the scene and do just as well. So I’m not sure I can say I have one genre that’s easiest, if that makes sense. As for the struggle? Comedy. I just haven’t quite figured it out and tend to stay away from it.

On 6/20/2018 at 5:20 PM, 800 words of heaven said:

Woot! So many options for your writing muse to choose from - and all of them sound excellent.

There's this line you said about Brooklyn not getting into the program by coincidence in Can't Break Shadows. If there's a rigorous applications process, no one gets in by coincidence, right? Everyone is chosen for a particular reason, namely, they meet the admission criteria. Is what you're trying to say that Brooklyn has a special reason to be in the program? Like, she meets all the admission criteria, but she's also extra (spooky) special, or that she doesn't meet the criteria at all, really (or maybe some of it) but she's still there because she's extra (spooky) special?

Can't Break Shadows sounds like The Bourne Identity and I'm so here for a spy thriller with a potentially sci-fi bend!

Ooh! I'm excited about the Healer story, too! I'm a student doctor, so if you'd like someone to bounce off medical ideas (or any ideas, really) my inbox is open and ready!

Hiya! Thanks for stopping by and sharing the enthusiasm! I love all the positive energy and excitement!

That is a very good clarification question. Coincidental may not have been the right word choice there. Although, just because you meet the admission criteria, doesn’t mean you get into the program. Because the program is basically like an orientation to the job. If you go into the program, you’re signing on to be an Unspeakable at the end of it, and there are only so many positions in the Department of Mysteries at a given time so only so many people will be accepted into the program. If that makes sense. Though, yes, Brooke does meet all the admission criteria. But there’s also an extra (spooky) special reason she ends up there. :)

I’m glad you’re excited about the healer story too! I will very likely take you up on the offer to bounce medical ideas off of, because while I do have a pretty good medical knowledge base, it's pretty specific to pediatric related things as I'm a Peds Nurse so.

PaulaTheProkaryote

Hi there! I'm back with a few more questions! 

1. Do you have any set face claims for your main characters?

2. How's the writing going? ;)

3. Which story are you having the easiest time working on?

4. Which of your characters do you relate to the most? 

I'm excited to read these! 

Recent Badges

AltraX
On 7/11/2018 at 11:49 PM, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Hi there! I'm back with a few more questions! 

1. Do you have any set face claims for your main characters?

2. How's the writing going? ;)

3. Which story are you having the easiest time working on?

4. Which of your characters do you relate to the most? 

I'm excited to read these! 

Hi Paula! Thanks for stopping by with questions!

1. I have been working on face claims for Captain’s Keep for a while. I think I’ve got my main group face claimed (besides Louis because he’s being difficult). Currently, I have Bailee Madison as Kinley, Mika Abdalla as Nat, Molly Quinn as Kaycee, and Mia Rose Frampton as Piper.  I stuck to Sean Biggerstaff as Oliver.  And while she’s a super minor character in Captain’s Keep, she is the main character of my third project and has a face claim: Matreya Fedor as Reagan Plitt. I have no set face claims for Can't Break Shadows yet.
  2. Writing is not going great but it’s also going better than expected. I’ve surpassed the 5K mark which is more words than I’ve written in months, which is awesome. Unfortunately my muse has decided my longstanding NaNo Back Up Project (a nearly 5 year old unnamed series of scenes from the same universe/group of characters that’s got to be at least 75K words by now) is more exciting than the three projects I’m meant to be working on, which is not so awesome.

3. My NaNo Back Up Project  :headwall:  I’m jumping into Captain’s Keep this weekend, so fingers crossed my muse figures itself out.

4. Ah. This is a hard question. I think it depends because there are parts of all of them I can relate to, and sometimes I relate to one character more just because I’ve been working with them a lot more recently, but it changes as soon as I switch which character I’m working with. Currently I think I’d have to go with Kinley.

danicasyer

Hello! I thought I would drop by and say that a lot of your story ideas sounds amazing especially Captain's Keep  (Ravenclaw Qudditch team aspect is already intriguing! ;w;)  and Year One (loving that it'll involves both the wizarding world and muggle world in terms of the medical/healer stuff and can't wait to see how you approach this) as both premise sound pretty awesome and the only question I have for you is: do you know any writing advice that helps you out and or helps you to keep going forward if and when you're stuck? If so, what are some of the things that help you move forward in terms of advice? If not any advice, what other methods/ways do you use to help you move forward with your writing? Okay that was quite lengthy but I hope that question makes sense but apart from that,  I wish you the best of luck with this month and hoping that you'll meet your writing goals!  But seriously, I hope that everyhing goes well for you! You can do this! You got this! :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this