Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • THE HOUSE CUP FINALE HAS BEGUN!
  • Keep an eye on the Prefects' Blog for House Writing Award results.
dirigibleplums

The Musical Muse Challenge | 1st October 2018

dirigibleplums

I've debated on whether I should host a challenge for a while now as a way to be more Involved in the community and have (evidently) decided to go ahead with it. The summer is long, I am unemployed and my own muse is taking its sweet time so I figured reading my fellow HPFTers' stories is a good alternative! :P

Challenge Name: The Musical Muse Challenge

Challenge Deadline: 1st October 2018 (so I can ease the return to uni with a bunch of great fics ;) )

Accepted Fandom(s): I'm only going to state Harry Potter and OF as my accepted fandoms, but that's only because more aren't coming to mind? Feel free to comment or drop me a PM on whether I am comfortable enough with a different fandom you have in mind if that's what you prefer!

Accepted Ratings: All the way up to and including M

Challenge Details: You probably don't know this, but I am very into music. Like my poor hearing probably wants a break because I'm listening to it on my earphones quite often whether I'm writing or travelling or popping the kettle on for a bit of tea. Hell, I'm listening to music right now. And sometimes I'll hear a lyric or look up a song that will spark some inspiration in me to write a fic which I think is pretty great when you think about it* so I'm going to use that as an excuse to listen to more music :P

*the whole inspiring business, not the fics lol

This is how the challenge will work: anyone who's interested comments to express that and I'll stick my Spotify playlist on shuffle. I'll then listen to a song and choose a lyric that stood out to me for whatever reason and assign the person that lyric. Then, because I really like seeing what direction people's muses take them, the rest is up to you! I'll mention which song the lyric is from so you can look it up if you wish, but you don't need to stick to the general vibe of the song. Meaning if the song turns out to be tropical house and you envision a heartbreaking one shot full of Death, you can satisfy your dark little heart as much as you want.

I'd rather not have multiple people with the same lyric. However, if I've mentioned a lyric beforehand and that person has requested another - which you're free to do, by the way - and you like Lyric #1, claim it to your heart's content.

Note: I won't be accepting pre-written entries. If the entry is for a brand new chapter in a multi-chap that is already online, I will only review the new chapter. For brand new multi-chaps, I'd prefer to have at least two chapters up by the deadline. Also, please stick in the challenge title somewhere in the summary or story notes so I know that the fic is for the challenge or else I will Panic. Can't be doing that, you know? ;)

Rewards: Every entry will get a review.

Third Place: 2 reviews, a prize graphic (not made by me because I can't graphic) and WJ questions

Second Place: 3 reviews, a prize graphic, WJ questions and an aesthetic/picspam

First Place: 4 reviews, a prize graphic, WJ questions, an aesthetic/picspam and a spot on my (seriously needs to be updated) recs page on tumblr!

Anyone who places will have links to their fics in my sig until the end of time.

Comment down below if you're interested! Don't worry about being a maybe or a taker, I'll just count everyone as a possible participant ❤️

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree

yes!!!!!!!!! why do i keep entering challenges though why

• Haha 1

dirigibleplums
7 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

yes!!!!!!!!! why do i keep entering challenges though why

bc temptation is strong and we are weak :P

anyways your lyric is 'this house is not a home for you' from twenty eight by the weeknd. it is also coincidentally the first line, but i promise i listened to all of it lol

• Like 1

ReillyJade

I'll try this! My muse is seemingly on a lengthy vacation so why not. 🙃 lol

adorably cute

ohhh this is neat! I'm interested!

Pixileanin

Please, may I see what's behind door #1?

Deeds

I’m interested! Songs always inspire me :D 

MalfoysAngel

This sounds like fun! I'll give it a shot

dirigibleplums

@ReillyJade yay nice to have you! hopefully your muse will come back soon :) your lyric is they're trying to tell me i'm just like the others, but i ain't all bad from 'all bad' by justin bieber

@adorably cute yasss. your lyric is my worries spread like cancer again / god damn it from 'intro: the most beautiful moment in life' by bts

@Pixileanin behind door number ooooone is... i am never gonna give you anything you expect from 'can't pin me down' by marina and the diamonds

@Deeds songs are great for inspo, aren't they? :D your lyric is i've seen the world, lit it up as my stage now from 'young and beautiful' by lana del rey

@MalfoysAngel the weeknd is back at it again with the emotion in 'call out my name'. your lyric is i want you to stay even though you don't want me

Spoiler

possible takers:

1. just.a.willow.tree: 'this house is not a home for you' from twenty eight by the weeknd

• Like 1

sunshine_locks
Posted (edited)

I SAW THIS; I AM IN. 

i suck at writing to the tune of lyrics but idgaf and i could use a challenge (even though,,, I have too many that I entered haha,,,,,,,,)

i'm secretly hoping it's kind of a sad lyric tbh

and can this be written in conjunction with other challenges? might as well combine challenges and save myself the time

btw what are WJ questions?

Edited by sunshine_locks
  • Like 1

sunshine_locks

ohh, I see. 

In that case, i'd need a writer's journal for that, haha! and i'm not sure if i'll be making one anytime soon,,, 

• Like 1

ShadowRose

I get a ton of writing inspiration from song lyrics so this sounds like such a great challenge! Hit me with whatever you've got 😁

• Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin

I can't enter another challenge -- I just don't have the time --    ME, PLEASE! 

• Like 1

Felpata_Lupin

This is really not a good idea (signing up for another challenge, I mean) but... me?

• Like 1

dirigibleplums

@sunshine_locks yay 😄😄 to answer your questions: a) this can be combined with other challenges bc b) you should enter all the challenges and just say sayonara to your self-control and c) WJ questions can be swapped out for something else if you don't have one :)

your lyric is i used to recognise myself, it's funny how reflections change from 'let it go' by james bay

@victoria_anne yay b! your lyric is you know the problem with history / it keeps growing back like weed from 'weeds' by marina and the diamonds

@ShadowRose awesome! i'm forever chasing after time but everybody dies is your lyric from 'immortal' by marina and the diamonds

wow why are all the lyrics that stand out to me the depressing or sweary ones

@Rumpelstiltskin ENTER ALL THE CHALLENGES. also your lyric is love is so painful from 'love is not over' by bts

@Felpata_Lupin nice to have you! we got that love, the crazy kind from 'him & i' by g-eazy and halsey

oh, also! it is not necessary to include the lyric itself in the piece if that's not where your muse takes you. it's just a bit of inspiration :)

Spoiler

POSSIBLE PARTICIPANTS

1. just.a.willow.tree: 'this house is not a home for you' from twenty eight by the weeknd

2. reillyjade: 'they're trying to tell me i'm just like the others, but i ain't all bad' from all bad by justin bieber

3. adorably cute: 'my worries spread like cancer again / god damn it' from the most beautiful moment in life by bts

4. Pixilean: ' i am never gonna give you anything you expect' from can't pin me down by marina and the diamonds

5. Deeds: 'i've seen the world, lit it up as my stage now' from young & beautiful by lana del rey

6. MalfoysAngel:  'i want you to stay even though you don't want me' from call out my name by the weeknd

• Like 1

sunshine_locks
10 hours ago, dirigibleplums said:

i used to recognise myself, it's funny how reflections change

... that's perfect.

• Like 1

dreamgazer220

ooh, me! me! pick me! I mean....

sure, I'd like to see a lyric 😊

• Like 1

dirigibleplums

12 hours ago, sunshine_locks said:

that's perfect.

you were meant to enter this challenge, it's fate ;)

@dreamgazer220 nice to have you, love! the song that came up for you was 1965 by zella day and honestly so many lyrics stood out to me, it was pretty hard 🙃 your lyric is can we go back to the world we had? cut like diamonds we were made to last 

(but you should soo check out all the lyrics, primarily the chorus tbh, because it has some absolute GEMS imho)

Spoiler

POSSIBLE PARTICIPANTS

1just.a.willow.tree: 'this house is not a home for you' from twenty eight by the weeknd

2. reillyjade: 'they're trying to tell me i'm just like the others, but i ain't all bad' from all bad by justin bieber

3. adorably cute: 'my worries spread like cancer again / god damn it' from the most beautiful moment in life by bts

4. Pixilean: ' i am never gonna give you anything you expect' from can't pin me down by marina and the diamonds

5. Deeds: 'i've seen the world, lit it up as my stage now' from young & beautiful by lana del rey

6. MalfoysAngel:  'i want you to stay even though you don't want me' from call out my name by the weeknd

7. sunshinelocks: 'i used to recognise myself, it's funny how reflections change' from let it go by james bay

8. victoria_anne: 'you know the problem with history / it keeps growing back like weed' from weeds by marina and the diamonds

9. ShadowRose: 'i'm forever chasing after time but everybody dies' from immortal by marina and the diamonds

10. Rumpelstiltskin: 'love is so painful' from love is not over by bts

11. Felpata_Lupin: 'we got that love, the crazy kind' from him & i by g-eazy and halsey

dreamgazer220

ooh, I like it! I can definitely see some potential there ☺️ Not sure what I'll write yet though. thanks! ❤️ 

• Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin

I'm so sorry to be 'that person,' but could I change my lyric just this one time, please? 

dreamgazer220

okay, I know you said HP and OF for accepted fandoms, but I'm wondering - I'm listening to the song and it's sort of screaming an angsty Bellarke fic, is that okay?

• Like 1

dirigibleplums
Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2018 at 1:59 AM, Rumpelstiltskin said:

I'm so sorry to be 'that person,' but could I change my lyric just this one time, please? 

nah don't worry about it. i've given two bc the last quote was about painful love so idk if the first one of the two is going to inspire you. lemme know which you prefer or if you wanna request again! i've got a pretty big playlist after all :P

#1: now i don't feel a thing when i'm holding his hand from atlantis by bridgit mendler

#2: we're dressed in black from head to toe / we've got guns hidden under our petticoats from chocolate by the 1975

1 hour ago, dreamgazer220 said:

okay, I know you said HP and OF for accepted fandoms, but I'm wondering - I'm listening to the song and it's sort of screaming an angsty Bellarke fic, is that okay?

m8 there is no way i'm gonna turn down some bellarke so go right ahead with that one :P

Spoiler

POSSIBLE PARTICIPANTS

1just.a.willow.tree: 'this house is not a home for you' from twenty eight by the weeknd

6. MalfoysAngel:  'i want you to stay even though you don't want me' from call out my name by the weeknd

7. sunshinelocks: 'i used to recognise myself, it's funny how reflections change' from let it go by james bay

8. victoria_anne: 'you know the problem with history / it keeps growing back like weed' from weeds by marina and the diamonds

9. ShadowRose: 'i'm forever chasing after time but everybody dies' from immortal by marina and the diamonds

10. Rumpelstiltskin: ?

11. Felpata_Lupin: 'we got that love, the crazy kind' from him & i by g-eazy and halsey

12. dreamgazer220: 'can we go back to the world we had? cut like diamonds we were made to last' from 1965 by zella day

Edited by dirigibleplums
  • Like 2

Rumpelstiltskin
Posted (edited)

You know what, that first lyric gave me some crazy and manic ideas, so I'm just going to run away with that - - thank you! 

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin

val

Oooh, yes, I want to give this a shot please!