Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the new badges we have available.
  • Why did Professor Snape stand in the middle of the road?
  • So you'll never know which side he's on.
Theia

The Narrative OF Challenge | Deadline: 25th August, 2018

Theia
Posted (edited)

The Narrative OF Challenge

A quick poll on twitter showed that a majority of the responders want to get into writing OF and the second highest vote was to work on descriptive writing so here is a challenge combining both!

(also can i just say that i love that hpft allows for OF posting)

Challenge Deadline: August 25th

Accepted Fandom(s): Original Fiction only!

Accepted Ratings: Anything accepted on the hpft archives

Challenge Details: 

Choose a character from your original universe/ story. It can be a pre-existing universe or brand new but the character must be your own. It can be your protagonist, antagonist, or any supporting character. 

Write a one-shot between 1500 to 4500 words. (Please don't exceed the limit)

At least 70% of your one-shot should contain narration. So about three-fourth description, one-fourth dialogue (optional).

Keep dialogue minimal and effective - be picky about the lines of dialogue you're adding and make every word count.

Your objective here is flesh out your character's backstory/ personality/ situation through descriptive writing. 

The type of narration and PoV is up to you as long as you stick to the above requirements. 

You may submit up to two entries.

You may combine with other challenges if you can. 

Don't forget to mention the challenge name in your story summary!

If you're worried about how to proceed - write descriptions that show, rather than tell, and you're good. Use this challenge as a way to understand your character and build up their story for furthering of the plot later on. :)

Rewards:

I will review all entries no matter how many you submit.

First place: Three additional reviews on stories of your choice and a link to your winning entry on my signature.

Second place: Two additional reviews on stories of your choice and a link to your winning entry on my signature.

Third place: One additional review on a story of your choice and a link to your winning entry on my signature.

Honourable mentions (subject to number of entries received): Link to your entry on my signature.

If I get the time, I'll also make some award graphics. :)

Good luck! I can't wait to read some amazing pieces!

Edited by Theia
changed the deadline
  • Like 1

Recent Badges

Simplicius

I'll be a taker.

• Like 1

PaulaTheProkaryote

I'm in!

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin

Almost sure I won't complete this, but it's too interesting so... very tentative maybe...  :couch:

• Like 1

Margaret

Another maybe. I might have an idea, but...I'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

forever_dreaming

Put me down as a maybe, please! :)

• Like 1

victoria_anne

Totally in! :wub: 

• Like 1

Theia

Ah this is great! I can't wait to see what you all come up with! 

I'm creating just one sign-up list in which I'll add all your names, irrespective of whether you're a Maybe or a Taker. 

Those of you who are unsure - Even if you're unable to get an entry in for this particular challenge, I hope this serves as a thought-starter to help you build up your original characters/universe! 

Spoiler

Sign-ups: 

Simplicius

PaulaTheProkaryote

Felpata_Lupin

Margaret

forever_dreaming

victoria_anne

Recent Badges

MadiMalfoy

Hi Nim told me to sign up for this challenge bc I chatted with her about my ideas for an OF so here goes nothing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rumpelstiltskin

I want to do this so bad O.O. I'll try to get something done in time. Please put me down as a maybe. 

StarFeather

I'm maybe with a protagonist who can speak small creatures' languages.

Theia

Brilliant! I look forward to reading all the entries!

Spoiler

Sign-ups: 

Simplicius

PaulaTheProkaryote

Felpata_Lupin

Margaret - When Daddy gets Home (Mature Audiences)

forever_dreaming

victoria_anne

MadiMalfoy

Rumpelstiltskin

StarFeather

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Pixileanin

Hi there.  I'm here, asking for an extension to the deadline, if that's possible.  I'd love to enter stuff, but I won't be able to post anything until Sunday afternoon.  Would that be okay?

Theia
39 minutes ago, Pixileanin said:

Hi there.  I'm here, asking for an extension to the deadline, if that's possible.  I'd love to enter stuff, but I won't be able to post anything until Sunday afternoon.  Would that be okay?

No problem! You may PM me the link once it's up. :) 

Recent Badges

MadiMalfoy

Hey Nim, I am going to need an extension as well, probably until Sunday too, if that's alright. I'll PM you the link once it's been posted. :couch:

Pixileanin

@Theia  Thank you!!  I'll have it posted on Sunday and PM you the link once it's up.  :)

• Like 1

Theia

@MadiMalfoy no worries! ❤️ 

Recent Badges

MadiMalfoy

My entry is in the queue and will hopefully be posted within the next day or two! (I forgot to post in here but I submitted it Sunday, promise)

• Like 1