News Ticker

Press Release: Week 4 Assignments

TidalDragon

HPFT Forums -- Week 4 assignments for the House Cup Finale have just been announced. They are as follows:

1. Finish writing and submit your Staff Profiles.
  2. Graphics. All graphics need to be done by the end of this week! That means a header for your newspaper, a section header for each section, a GIF for every writing piece other than staff profiles, and a picspam for each staff profile.
  3. Quodpot match reviews.
  4. Solve puzzles.
  5. OPTIONAL: Bonus feature article.
  6. OPTIONAL: Wild card bonus sections.
  7. "Publish" your newspaper by assembling all the pieces together into your final format!

Staff Profiles

Details can be found in this topic.

Graphics

Requirements for the graphic design of your newspaper were released in Week 1.

Quodpot

The details about the Quodpot game can be found here.

Puzzles

The puzzles are posted here (and in your CRs):

Gryffindor
Hufflepuff
Ravenclaw
Slytherin

You will earn points for however many puzzles you are able to solve by the end of the week.

Feature Article

You can choose to write a feature article for bonus points. If you choose to take on this optional task, you must produce an article on a topic of your choice (so long as it's relevant to your era), similar in style to the articles you have already written. Feature articles must be 1000-2000 words in length and must be accompanied by TWO graphics (GIFs, picspams, or another graphic type of your choice).

Wild Cards

We are finally releasing the details on the wild card bonus sections! If you claimed a wild card, you unlocked the ability to complete the extra section associated with it. Even if you did claim a wild card, you are not required to complete the extra section.

• Critique Section (Slytherin): Leave "in character" reviews as at least 4 different canon characters from your era. Reviews must be a minimum of 1000 characters in length (not including greetings/sign-offs), and you must state in your review that you are leaving a critique section review. It must also be obvious somehow which character you are leaving the review as. The cumulative character count for all your reviews must be a minimum of 375,000 characters. Any reviews left for the critique section cannot be counted toward any of the Quodpot matches.
  • Divination Section (Hufflepuff): Write a horoscope for each of the 12 zodiac signs. The cumulative word count for the 12 horoscopes must be a a minimum of 2500 words.
  • Interview Section (Ravenclaw): Publish interviews held with at least 4 different canon characters from your era. Interviews should be formatted in question-answer interview format. The cumulative word count must be a minimum of 2500 words. Cannot double up characters used for picspams.
  • Photography Section (Ravenclaw): Create picspams for a minimum of 4 different canon characters from your era. You must create a minimum of 12 picspams total, and each picspam must contain a minimum of 4 images (yes, you can use quotes/text; it just needs to be a collage of a minimum of 4 things). Cannot double up characters used for the interview section.

Final Format

You have freedom in structuring your final publication. The bottom line is that you must combine all elements (articles and graphics) into a single post somehow.

The House Cup ends on Friday, August 17th

For the final piece, would it be allowed to link to a compilation of images off-site, which would just be a single page of stuff?

38 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

For the final piece, would it be allowed to link to a compilation of images off-site, which would just be a single page of stuff?

Images can be embedded to the forums, so please work with us so we can help you figure that out before we accept off-site submissions as a last resort.

I'm assuming that the Wild Card sections each need an accompanying section header, but what about the Featured Article? Does that need its own header, as well? Or does it go with the rest of the articles, except just at the top?

18 hours ago, TidalDragon said:

Create picspams for a minimum of 4 different canon characters from your era. You must create a minimum of 12 picspams total

Just to be certain -  if we're taking up 4 characters, that would mean 3 picspams for each of the 4? 

4 hours ago, Theia said:

Just to be certain -  if we're taking up 4 characters, that would mean 3 picspams for each of the 4? 

Indeed. :)

• Thanks 1

@Dojh167 I don't think we made this clear as to whether this is a different "section" as identified in the "Graphics" portion of the Week 1 Assignments post. While it was originally intended to be its own section (and thus to have a header), let's treat it like this. If you are setting it out as a separate section from your Articles in your final product, it needs a header PLUS the two (2) required graphics. If you are not setting it out as a separate section you can choose whether to use one (1) of your two (2) images as a header or not.

slytherin is, uh, wondering if 375 000 characters is the right number for the wild card reviews? because, that would...like, equal to around 60-70k words written in a week :shrugs:...all the other wild cards require...much less (2500 words)?

Edited by starbuck

3 hours ago, starbuck said:

slytherin is, uh, wondering if 375 000 characters is the right number for the wild card reviews? because, that would...like, equal to around 60-70k words written in a week :shrugs:...all the other wild cards require...much less (2500 words)?

You're right, this was a math error. 

Using the standard of 150 characters in 1000 words, this should be approx 16,650 characters instead to get to 2500 words.

So go with that.

• Thanks 2

@Alopex @TidalDragon quick question that shouldn't affect us too much at this late stage :couch: - For our wild card interview section, do we need graphics for those as well? Or will those just need the text content and the section header? 

Edited by facingthenorthwind

On 8/13/2018 at 11:55 PM, TidalDragon said:

If you are setting it out as a separate section from your Articles in your final product, it needs a header PLUS the two (2) required graphics. If you are not setting it out as a separate section you can choose whether to use one (1) of your two (2) images as a header or not.

2 hours ago, TidalDragon said:

If you are setting it out as a separate section from your Articles in your final product, it needs a header PLUS the two (2) required graphics. If you are not setting it out as a separate section you can choose whether to use one (1) of your two (2) images as a header or not.

I believe that's for the feature article? We're talking about our wild card interview section:

On 8/11/2018 at 11:20 PM, TidalDragon said:

Interview Section (Ravenclaw): Publish interviews held with at least 4 different canon characters from your era. Interviews should be formatted in question-answer interview format. The cumulative word count must be a minimum of 2500 words. Cannot double up characters used for picspams.

I'm mobile so it's hard to hunt ATM, but if it's never been stated we aren't going to require it.

• Thanks 1

@TidalDragon Do we have to post the 4 puzzles we created in our final newspaper layout + have a section header? Or can they be in a separate post?

Our graphics person is currently asleep and likely will not be awake in time to create a new section header bc its 4 am for her atm. 

Edited by MadiMalfoy

Ideally they're (your four (4) that y'all created) included in the final layout with header by the deadline. If that's not possible due to the timezone situation please let me know ASAP. I've been traveling all day with a completely dead phone, so I'm sorry I couldn't respond earlier.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TidalDragon said:

Ideally they're (your four (4) that y'all created) included in the final layout with header by the deadline. If that's not possible due to the timezone situation please let me know ASAP. I've been traveling all day with a completely dead phone, so I'm sorry I couldn't respond earlier.

We have put the games in but we have no header because our graphics person is asleep and simply couldn't do it at such short notice. I'm happy to edit the file in after deadline once our graphics person makes it (she has the psd, so I can't even do it for her). Please ignore the fact that we only have a text header at the moment! 

EDIT: Ignore this, we have a header now!

Edited by facingthenorthwind