Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the new badges we have available.
  • Why did Professor Snape stand in the middle of the road?
  • So you'll never know which side he's on.
Lady Ausra

The Trope of Aces Challenge | 1st November 2018

Lady Ausra
Posted (edited)
Challenge Name: The Trope of Aces Challenge

Challenge Deadline: 01 November 2018

Accepted Fandom(s): Harry Potter 'verse, Original Fiction, Merlin, Les Mis, Percy Jackson, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and many, many, others. Feel free to PM me if you have a fandom you want to write for, but isn't mentioned here. Crossovers are happily accepted.

Accepted Ratings: All.

Accepted Archives: HPFT, FFN, Wattpad, AO3.

Challenge Details: So, I love tropes. I have an unhealthy love for them, think that they're many levels of fantastic, and there is no such thing as too much of one's favorite cliches. I also love to read everyone's stories. So, I've combining them.😀

I was re-reading several posts lately about favorite tropes, as well as several people bemoaning the lack of *insert trope here* in their favorite fandom/ship/wherever, when I had a Great Epiphany: instead of pleading with the Fic Gods, for more, why not try and add more ourselves? It's time to begin to fill the void, everyone! 

Pick a single trope you've always wanted to write, or maybe just love writing. It can be just about anything, as long as it's either something universally accepted as a trope (i.e., soulmate AU), or something slightly more obscure (In which case, citation via TV Tropes may be necessary). Other than that, this challenge is pretty open-ended. You can do any situation, as long as you incorporate and highlight the trope as the backbone of the main plot. I'm not looking for a highly original premise, but instead, a great take on a well-worn idea. As for the reactions of the characters, well, that's up to you.

My only caveat: please try and avoid tropes and cliches that involve consent issues (A Love Potion is the only one that comes to mind right now)—or if you write it, do so in a way to minimize any potential problems there—as well as try and avoid any with, eh, let's just call them inherently sexy ends. :wub:

Coffee Shop AUs with your OTP are happily accepted. :)

Beyond the prompt, there can be up to two entries per author, and no pre-written entries are allowed. If you write a multi-chapter fic, please have at least two chapters posted by the deadline. Make sure to include the name of the challenge in your summary as well. Other than that, it's all yours!

Rewards: Each entry will be given a single review, and as for the top three:

3rd Place: Two additional reviews for the author.

2nd Place: Three additional reviews for the author.

1st Place: Four additional reviews for the author.

If you're interested in participating, post below, along with the trope you're thinking of using if you know! Don't worry about being committed if you aren't quite sure yet, I'll just count everyone as a possible participant.

Good luck, and I can't wait to read your amazing pieces!

Edited by Lady Ausra
  • Like 4

Recent Badges

Aphoride

I'm a maybe with Hanahaki disease (I'm hoping it counts as a trope? It's a trope in the Les Mis fandom, at least...) ^_^

• Like 3

dirigibleplums

WHY DO I KEEP ENTERING CHALLENGES 😭😭 but yes i am so in. not sure what the trope is yet bc i have many i love but hopefully one will grab me by the legs and not let me go

• Like 1

facingthenorthwind

Oh noooo, I would love to but naturally every trope has suddenly fled my mind. I've already written soulmate au and fake dating and I'd rather not a muggle AU (coffee shop, university, etc).... could I have a suggestion, perhaps?

• Like 1

ShadowRose

asdafghjkl i've been looking for an excuse to write a fake dating fic so i'm all in on this one

• Like 2

Lady Ausra

@Aphoride *Screeches with joy* Hanahaki Disease is one of my favorite tropes of all time, it's fantastic, you're fantastic, GO FOR IT if you want to, I look forward to it. 😍

@dirigibleplums Whatever you can come up with will be awesome, welcome to the trope-y madness!

@facingthenorthwind Hmmm... Let's see, off the top of my head: enemies being forced to work together and then liking each other (Not just romantically), mutual pining, misunderstandings, huddling for warmth, period AU (Different from modern AU in that you can do noir, cyberpunk, Regency, Western, etc.), or amnesia. TV Tropes [Rating the entire site M to be safe] is always a good source for tropes as well if you want something slightly more obscure/non-romantic. Hope some of this gives you an idea!

@ShadowRose Bring on the fake dating! And I"m glad this could serve as an excuse. :)

Recent Badges

The Heir of Slytherin
Posted (edited)

I don't know yet if I'll be able to actually post a fic for the challenge (mostly because I really shouldn't), but I have an idea with a mash up of enemies to friends to lovers with a bit of fake dating. And honestly, if I can write this fic and add more tropes into it, I probably will. :P

(Edit: that's probably a lie. At least, not on purpose.)

Edited by The Heir of Slytherin
  • Like 1

Lady Ausra

Eh, I know the feeling. I've got about four projects (That are completely under control, thank you very much). But I hope you're able to post your fic! (Mostly 'cause I'm a sucker for enemies-to-lovers, but...yeah.) Hope you're able to write it!

Recent Badges

sihaya

I'm tentatively in with mutual pining ... in a coffee shop

• Like 2

victoria_anne
Posted (edited)

Tentatively in with fake dating ^_^ do you mind if I combine with another challenge?

Edited by victoria_anne
  • Like 2

Rumpelstiltskin

DEATH OF THE MENTOR HECK YES.     Or, instead, I might actually challenge myself, because I absolutely adore tropes. AdORe them. ❤️

Errr.

I would like to try something sweet and fluffy, with characters from a not so sweet and fluffy fandom...like an AU? Is Supernatural of TWD and acceptable fandom for you? If not, I'll go Original Fiction. 

Genderbent Friends to Lovers AU? [Unless it's OF, in which case I'll pick something else.]

• Like 2

Lady Ausra
Posted (edited)

@sihaya Coffee Shop AU and mutual pining? If you decide to write it, it's my lucky day. :clapping:

@victoria_anne I don't mind at all! Go for it.

@Rumpelstiltskin I'm pretty familiar with Supernatural, not so much with TWD. Any of the tropes you mentioned will get loud shrieks of "YES!" from me, though—including Death of the Mentor and genderbending. :thumbsup:

Edited by Lady Ausra
  • Like 1

Recent Badges

teh tarik

I don't know if I'll be able to complete this lol - BUT I'd still like to give this a shot.

If it's ok with you, I'd like to try either a groundhog day AU or a Pacific Rim AU. Fandom TBC.

• Like 2

Lady Ausra

@teh tarik Either would be great! The list of fandoms I'm familiar with is pretty long, too, so whatever floats your boat. 🙂

Recent Badges

PaulaTheProkaryote

I tried to scroll right by this challenge because I have other things I should be writing...but can I have partnered in class on a project with Jily? (I really want to do an art class au)

• Like 2

Recent Badges

Ineke

I am not gonna promise a thing but tropes are my jam and I really hope this might just kickstart my muse 👀

So a maybe for me? Fandom tbd (prob either HP, B99 or an attempt at DW) and it'd most likely be an AU. So many options though! But yeah def a maybe bc my muse has been mia for ages.

• Like 1

Lady Ausra

@PaulaTheProkaryote Go for it with Jily in an art class! And I know the feeling about temptation in writing. :wub: Welcome to the trope-y madness!

@Ineke Whatever helps get your muse back; and no pressure about getting something in. :)

Recent Badges

sapphicsunrise

i am in with an archetypal Teen Drama. i'm talking first person narration. i'm talking obnoxious introductions. i'm talking school setting. life lessons. coming of age. etc

• Like 3

Lady Ausra

Oh, that sounds like fun. Go for it!

Recent Badges

TheGoldenKneazle

Hi! I am super interested in a Soulmates AU, however are you familiar with Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency? :) 

Otherwise... potential for War and Peace (the BBC series, I'm not cool enough to have read Tolstoy)... 

Edited by TheGoldenKneazle
  • Like 3

Lady Ausra

@TheGoldenKneazle I am actually somewhat familiar with Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Haven't seen it in a bit, but I've been meaning to re-watch it anyway. Do it! :clapping:

• Like 1

Recent Badges

TheGoldenKneazle

Oh fabulous!!! I've been veritably attacked by brotzly plunnies since I posted that so YAY :D 

• Like 1

dirigibleplums

okay so i may have written something?? it's an angsty dramione one shot ft hanahaki disease (+Head Boy/Head Girl + pining): a boy of hans (t)

Edited by dirigibleplums
  • Like 1

1917farmgirl

Can I get in on this? I know I'm going to do Merlin, and I'm thinking of using Reverse Reveal as my trope, but I'm not 100 percent sure yet.

• Like 1

Lady Ausra

@dirigibleplums Yes, please, Harry Potter needs more Hanahaki Disease. I'll probably wait to review until after the deadline, just so it's fresher in my head, but it was a great read!

@1917farmgirl Oh, please do. I adore BBC Merlin, and Reverse Reveals are always the best. I look forward to it! :wandinair:

• Like 1

Recent Badges