News Ticker

October Story of the Month Nominations

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

:ghost:October Story of the Month Nominations :ghost:

:grinningpumpkin:How it works: 

This thread is for you to nominate your favorite stories to be recognized as the HPFT Story of the Month.  Seconding isn't necessary, as all stories will move on to the voting round. 

Mid-month [approximately 10 days after the nomination's thread is posted], a Prefect will post a voting poll for all of the stories that have been nominated. Don't worry about having to rush - you will have about 10 days to read the stories and vote for your favorite!

Winners will be announced in the News Bulletin on the first of each month. All SotM Winners will also receive a cool prize! 

:laughingpumpkin:Please post your nominations in this thread using the following format:

Title:
Author:
Link to Story [& rating if Mature] :
Warnings [if applicable] :
Reason for Nomination:

:frankenstein:Rules for Nomination:

1. To be eligible for nomination, a story must have been updated sometime within the past 12 months

2. Stories can be any genre, character type, fandom, or length.

3. No NC-17 rated stories.

4. Any story nominated must follow site guidelines.

5. All nominated stories must be posted on the HPFT Archives.

6. You may only nominate ONE story.

7. Stories do not have to be complete to be nominated. WIP's are acceptable.

:coolpumpkin: Nominations will close on September 10th at 11:59 pm GMT :coolpumpkin:

Previous Months' Winners:

Spoiler

September '16 - The Harder They Fall by Victoria_Anne

October '16 - How Hogwarts Scarred Me For Life (by Enid McElderry) by beyond the rain

December '16 - Gravel on the Ground: From the Ashes by 1917farmgirl

January '17 - Liar by Felpata Lupin

March '17- Periphery by firewhiskey_ginger

April '17 - Absolution by Rhaenyra

May '17- In This Darkness by Quill2Parchment

July '17-Voldemort and the Impromptu Holiday by dirtydeedsdonedirtcheap & Nights like These by Banshee

August '17-The Wild Princess by Victoria_Anne & Skewed Toward Truth by MuggleMaybe

September '17- Traitorous Heart by Penelope_Inkwell

October '17 - Beyond Repair by MuggleMaybe

November '17 - no SotM

December '17 - Once Upon the Marauders by Flaming Quilltips

January '18 - When I Go Out With You by Dojh167

February '18 - no SotM

March '18 - five lives by just.a.willow.tree AND Haunting Shadows by dreamgazer220

April '18 - Letter to the Lost by Crimson Quill

May '18 - Stand Tall by -Cheltsrhj

June '18 - an absence of sound by just.a.willow.tree

July '18 - Lying Josephine by WriteYourHeartOut and Dolor Lake by Rumpelstiltskin

August '18 - ministry memorandums (from the mysteries) by esmeraude

September '18 - That's All by beyond the rain

Title: After Destiny
Author: CambAngst
Link to Story [& rating if Mature] : Here+ (M)
Warnings [if applicable] : Hate Speech, Consent Issues (Severe), Sexual Content, Slavery, Spoilers, Substance Abuse, Violence
Reason for Nomination: Dan writes PTSD and the aftermath of the war raw, ragged and beautifully sad. His writing's always good - and this isn't an exception - and it's just such a perfect continuation of the canon series. The kind of story which grips you and doesn't let you go. 

• Like 2

Title: A Woman's Place
Author: @Chemical_Pixie
Link to Story [& rating if Mature] : link+ (M)
Warnings [if applicable] : Consent Issues (Mild/Moderate), Consent Issues (Severe), Derogatory Language, Domestic Abuse, Hate Speech, Sexual Content, Substance Abuse, Violence
Reason for Nomination: This story is actually a collection of one-shots about the women who were a part of the Order of the Phoenix and various situations in which they found themselves in, dealing with issues women face. The first story is about Alice Longbottom and in a few sentences I started to really hate Crouch Sr. and the whole story made me both angry at injustice (i have a case of righteous indignation right now!) and made me think about all the ways women have suffered and how they can/how they should deal with it. It's a story I'd recommend to anyone who wants to read something feminist but it's also a story that gives us glimpses of how the Order of the Phoenix worked and came to be.

• Thanks 1

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

Title: Words of Wisdom
Author: @Alexis Black
Link to Story [& rating if Mature]: +click
Warnings [if applicable] : Domestic Abuse
Reason for Nomination:  Being able to spin a horrific beginning into something positive is a beautiful feat, which Alexis has done so delicately. The ending sends a beautifully resonating message of hope and finality. The piece is quite moving as time progresses and wounded hearts mend.  It's really well done -- you should definitely check it out. 

Title : Project Azkaban
Author: @Unwritten Curse
Link to Story [& rating if Mature] http://archive.hpfanfictalk.com/viewstory.php?sid=2110 (M)
Warnings [if applicable ] : self  harm, suicide, violence
Reason for Nomination: This story is totally mind-blowing, even after just one chapter.  It raises all sorts of questions, and is such a creative idea - I've never seen anything quite like it: a social experiment,  technology from the dept  of mysteries, what's not to love about it?? (That's mentioned in the summary so don't worry, not a spoiler :P ) Gina is a phenomenal writer and has done a wonderful job setting up this story.

PS sorry for the messy link, I'm on my phone

Edited by Stella Blue
  • Like 2

Title: Logarithmic
Author: @val
Link to Story [& rating if Mature]: here (M)
Warnings [if applicable] : Domestic Abuse, Sexual Content, Substance Abuse, Violence
Reason for Nomination: With this story, Val plucks two canon characters out of relative obscurity, completely fleshing them out and even making us not hate Cormac McLaggen, who it's safe to say doesn't come across very well in canon.  Her characterisation - and especially character growth - is fantastic, and you're always left asking questions after each chapter; it's so compelling that you can't not read on.  The writing is brilliant as it tracks the characters through the war and the challenges they face to survive, and Log offers us something else we don't get to see often - an awesome group of Hufflepuff characters taking centre stage.  I'd definitely recommend it!

• Like 1

Title: The Forest Cottage
Author: @MadiMalfoy
Link to Story [& rating if Mature]: 
Here+
Warnings [if applicable] : 
Reason for Nomination: This is a wonderful OF piece (!) with rich descriptions and magical characters. I really enjoyed it, and can't wait to read more of the world Madi has created ^_^ 

• Like 2

Title: Complicated
Author: @ShadowRose
Link to Story [& rating if Mature]+Here (M)
Warnings [if applicable]: Hate Speech, Sexual Content, Substance Abuse
Reason for Nomination

Taylor has just finished Complicated after working on it for the last five years. It's a forty eight chapter romance-epic that follows the dramatic relationship of James Potter and Abby Winchester, along with a whole cast of characters that you will fall in love with. This is an incredible example of character development, of taking a pretty unlikable OC and showing the slow process of her growing up, taking charge of her life and finding love in a frustratingly good slow burn. Taylor's descriptions are wonderful, her dialogue is hilarious and the writing is absolutely captivating (I mean, this did win the POG for Most Addictive Story after all!) at the end of each chapter I instantly want to read the next one and the thought of waiting for a sequel is slowly going to drive me mad. I can't sell this well enough, it's a brilliant story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Guest locked this topic