News Ticker

Original Fiction Fall Goals

Pixileanin

Yes, it's that time of year, where things are getting bleaker, the busy holidays are right around the corner, and NaNo knocks on our door and wants to tear us away from our best-laid plans.

I'm STILL banging away on that short story that was due on October 1st (ahem, missed the deadline, but gonna finish it anyway).  I was wondering if anyone wanted to stand with me and post their OF Fall Goals.  This will take me through the end of the year, so it's really the Fall/Winter goals.  I'll pretend that January through March is an entirely different season.  Down where I live, we have "hot", "not hot" and "rainy". 

Here are mine:

1. Finish my OF short story by December 31st

2. Draft a loose summary outline for my OF Novel about Will and his magic-sucking abilities (not a working title, I promise!)

3. Attend live writer's groups when I can and make connections.

4. Spend time on both my Short Story course (finish up some of the short story ideas from the summer).

5. Pace myself through the How To Write a Novel course, using both a new idea, and Will's story (which needs a ton more plot before I can successfully get it off the ground.)

6. Squint at some of my fanfic that I'm considering moving to OF, and brainstorm through some possibilities.

Hopefully, I'll have more concrete, measurable goals next week.  I plan to check in every week on Friday and post how things are (or aren't) going.  And I promise that if you're with me, I will ping you weekly as well.  It's the least I can do!  :)

With that, we sail.  Onwards!

:pirate:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

Yes, it's that time of year, where things are getting bleaker, the busy holidays are right around the corner, and NaNo knocks on our door and wants to tear us away from our best-laid plans.

I'm STILL banging away on that short story that was due on October 1st (ahem, missed the deadline, but gonna finish it anyway).  I was wondering if anyone wanted to stand with me and post their OF Fall Goals.  This will take me through the end of the year, so it's really the Fall/Winter goals.  I'll pretend that January through March is an entirely different season.  Down where I live, we have "hot", "not hot" and "rainy". 

Here are mine:

1. Finish my OF short story by December 31st

2. Draft a loose summary outline for my OF Novel about Will and his magic-sucking abilities (not a working title, I promise!)

3. Attend live writer's groups when I can and make connections.

4. Spend time on both my Short Story course (finish up some of the short story ideas from the summer).

5. Pace myself through the How To Write a Novel course, using both a new idea, and Will's story (which needs a ton more plot before I can successfully get it off the ground.)

6. Squint at some of my fanfic that I'm considering moving to OF, and brainstorm through some possibilities.

Hopefully, I'll have more concrete, measurable goals next week.  I plan to check in every week on Friday and post how things are (or aren't) going.  And I promise that if you're with me, I will ping you weekly as well.  It's the least I can do!  :)

With that, we sail.  Onwards!

I'm in the same OF Fall boat. :) (I am not sure if I can though, while facing my work, preparing for study at the university in the future...)

1. Write the sequel to the one I wrote for the contest in summer. (In my mother tongue)

2. Start a new OF based on a true episode or history. (In English)

How about you?  ?‍♂️

I'm gonna jump in on this so I can actually have accountability for OF writing (and just writing in general tbh)

I am going to give a disclaimer: I am a first-year grad student attempting to get my PhD in chemistry, so I'm a very very busy person and have a lot of things going on this quarter, so we'll see how far I get with OF and with FF writing at all once the quarter really picks up here in a week or two. 

Fall/Winter Goals: 

1. Write more character vignettes (possible NaNo options concurrent with my FF WIPs chapters)
    1. Myrcella
    2. Percival
    3. Eirraphe -- for @StarFeather's Dragon Tale Challenge (I want to get this one done sooner rather than later to help with fleshing out my magical creatures area of my OF world)
    4. Maybe another one for Amaryllis?
  2. Work through Scrivener (yay free trials) 
    1. Figure out plot
      1. Is Myrcella going to stay my MC or will it actually be Amaryllis?
    2. world build
    3. animals & magical creature build
  3. Create a rough outline for the novel by December 31st (not likely to happen but it's a goal anyway)
    1. Spreadsheet madness maybe?

• Like 2

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

Here we go again ;) . 

October 15th - October 31st: 

• Finish one more chapter of WLC
    • This completes the first part (the "introductory" part) of the story

November 1st - November 30th

• Well, this month should really be a bit more since it's NaNo, though I do have a fandom thing to write.
  • Two Chapters of WLC
    • working into the middle section, first major climax should spike in the first of these two chapters and begin its resolution in the second of the two
  • a poem? something new...or something cathartic?

December 1st - December 21st

• One chapter of WLC
    • this should be a chapter where things are on the downswing of the resolution, but a prepping to start the ascent into the main climax of the story over the course of a couple chapters.

My goal is to have a finished draft of my Dragon Academy novel.  I am also hoping to get my published novel cleaned up for printing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!  I know it's not a Friday, and I've missed a few Fridays up until now (whoops!) but I'm here, checking in on everyone for their Fall Goals.  If you're NaNoing, then all the power to you!  

Lessee... where am I so far?

1. Finish my OF short story by December 31stThis is going well.  Last Friday, I went to a live writer's word sprint group and found a missing scene that replaces the lame climax scene I thought I was going to have to use.  I also identified the main character arcs for my four guys throughout the story.  Now to work on some pacing issues! 

2. Draft a loose summary outline for my OF Novel about Will and his magic-sucking abilities (not a working title, I promise!) - I'm using this story for the How To Write a Novel Course I got, and am now in Lesson 4.  Things are moving along, and the plot is getting more plotty, which I love.

3. Attend live writer's groups when I can and make connections. - Did this twice this month.  I'm not sure how much I can do this in November, but there's a Sunday afternoon group that my schedule might allow me to attend.  We'll see how that plays out.

4. Spend time on both my Short Story course (finish up some of the short story ideas from the summer). - Yes. But only on the current short story at the moment.  I feel like I need to finish this one, and then go back to the others as the first one comes together better.  Short stories are harder than I thought!  Mostly because I overthink too much.  Gotta find a way to make progress without moving backwards so much.

5. Pace myself through the How To Write a Novel course, using both a new idea, and Will's story (which needs a ton more plot before I can successfully get it off the ground.) - So far, I'm only running with one idea, but I might be able to start a new idea in a few weeks.  I'll see how it goes.  I may not have enough RL time to juggle TWO novel ideas at the same time.  However, as I'm typing this, there's another novel idea I'd love to convert to OF that I've already written in fanfic.  It's in the same world as the Will story, so it might be something useful to work through simultaneously.  I'll think about this.

6. Squint at some of my fanfic that I'm considering moving to OF, and brainstorm through some possibilities. - That's kind of what I'm thinking about in #5, so let's put a check on that for this time.  :)

@StarFeather - How have your weeks gone so far?  Did you decide to pursue the OF idea in your mother tongue?

@MadiMalfoy - Hey!  I saw your NaNo goals all laid out!  Very exciting!  Have you planned out a writing schedule for November yet?  How's the grad chem thing going?

@Rumpelstiltskin - Yay!  More goals!  How's that chapter coming along?  You've got a few more days before your goal comes up.  How are you feeling about it?

@scooterbug8515 - Yay for cleaning up the novel!!!  How's that going?  Is the DA idea being good to you this month?

If anyone else wants to jump in with OF goals for the fall or NaNo, you're all welcome to join in on the fun!  (mostly me, pestering you, lol!)

Now, where's that helm... oh yes.  Here it is.

(grabs wheel)

Onwards!!

Edited by Pixileanin
  • Like 1

I don't have clearly laid out goals like I did during the summer but here goes! 

1. Have at least 5-6 chapters written for both my OF novels as part of NaNo, maybe more if I keep the momentum going

2. Turn the first chapter of Full Circle into a standalone piece that can be submitted to literary journals

3. Complete at least 70% of world-building for Mia and the Moon of Magic

4. Edit older short stories and submit

5. Finish course requirements and figure out a daily writing schedule 

• Like 2

On 10/25/2018 at 7:02 AM, Pixileanin said:

@MadiMalfoy - Hey!  I saw your NaNo goals all laid out!  Very exciting!  Have you planned out a writing schedule for November yet?  How's the grad chem thing going?

Grad school is going well -- midterms are next week and the following week though so my start to NaNo is likely to be rough :/ 

I've just gotten my spreadsheet put together and it's full of bright colors and I'm so ready! (not really though) :P 

*slips in*

OF goooaaaals - yep I need this thread again.

So from earlier this year, the plan for me was to write 2 OF pieces - 1 short fiction and 1 longer piece of writing (~8K words) by September. I finished the short fiction piece (just under 6K words) earlier in July, but never started on the longer piece.

So that's going to be my goal pretty much. I'm going to attempt NaNo, and while I don't really like the idea of NaNo-ing this story, it's the only way I'll ever get started lol. And it's going to be far longer than 8K words. I hope I can cap it off at 20-22K words. This would take the story into novella territory, no longer short fiction. (This is a terrifying concept lol - the word 'novella' brings chills running up and down my spine. I don't remember the last time I planned out a multichapter story..... :ninjavanish: )

Complete first draft of novella for NaNo by 1 Dec

Breakdown of goal:

1. Finish plotting and writing character briefs - by 31 Oct (that gives me 2 days)

2. Write intensively for at least 15 minutes per day during Nov.

3. Hit 10K words - by 15 Nov

4. 20K by 30 Nov

• Like 2

I am halfway through marking the errors in my novel, and I have a whole chapter written for Dragon Academy.  I am hoping to have the novel fully marked before November and then I am doing NaNo and I'm hoping to have a 1st draft done by November's end.  If not by then, then by the New Year.

• Like 1

Hey ho, and everyone is at NaNo!!

Guys, I just finished the first draft of my short story!!!  It has an ending and everything!

Woot!

Just wanted to take a short moment and post that, even though it's a very drafty draft, and I still need to complete sentences and fill in the (something cool goes here) bits, and all that.  The draft came in at 14.5k, which means I'm still on target for by under 17k story.  It fleshes out longer when I actually fill in the scenes with setting and movement and such.  I'm a layering writer.  I add things in layers after the bones are set.

Yay for bones!!!  I think this plot will hold together nicely.

Now on to spend a little time on my novel idea, and then SECOND DRAFT the first three scenes of the short this weekend. 

ONWARDS!!!

• Like 3

So this isn't really going to be much of an update because......I have done absolutely zero of my goals. :couch:

This week and next are my midterms for my classes, so it's just been a struggle to really get on the site let alone work through Scrivener and plan my OF.  Not to mention, my first priority for NaNo is my FF WIPs (novel & short story & challenge entries) so OF is definitely on the back burner. :/ 

November should quiet down some for me though school-wise after midterms are over so hopefully more time to do NaNo things (yay!) and also OF things. 

7 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

Guys, I just finished the first draft of my short story!!!  It has an ending and everything!

Congrats, Pix!!! :yay:

• Like 2

My goal is to plan out (sort of) my OF and have it at a point where I feel I'm  ready to start writing by Jan 1st.

I'm wanting to have all the major characters (mostly) fleshed out and have all the major plot points determined and in order before I start.

I'm hoping to have some of the smaller scenes planned out so I can figure out where they best fit into my story and if they are more filler points or actually help move the story along. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone!  Guess what??

It's Friday!  And I'm even posting on a Friday.  This is great.  I feel like I accomplished something by just showing up.  :P

I had a good writing morning. I wrote the first scene to my Kid-without-magic novel today.  It's very bare bones, has virtually no setting and no backstory (both of which could possibly be a good thing?) and I got 1500 words out of it.  So yay for the eventual long scene format.  I missed those after writing crazy short fiction early this year.  I'm still working on the short story.  It's in draft two mode, fleshing out chapters.  I'm moving through chapter 3-4 of 12 (possibly 13, depending on if I split that one scene at the end when I get to it).  Progress is progress.  I'm counting it as a win.  I was able to go to a writer's session this morning and got some cool energy from it.  It's always exciting to see people in the place I want to be in about six months: working on book covers, checking Amazon for keyword popularity, discussing print book sizes and the pros and cons of each... also, crazy lady who upset the matriarchy of the local writers association and is making waves to improve things.  Haha.  And writing.  They did lots of writing.  Wish I could go there every week.  Ah, RL and schedules and such.   (crawls back under a rock)

@StarFeather I saw you were coming down with some kind of sickness earlier.  Have some virtual tea from me, and get better soon!  Any words this week?

@MadiMalfoy I hope your midterms are going well.  All that chem stuff might come in handy when I'm done with my second OF story if you'd be up for a beta read (in a year or so... haha!).  My magic system has a lot of chemistry-ripped ideas.  Ventilation hoods and potion potency and stuff like that.  Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel yet?

@Rumpelstiltskin Hey there!  Do we have a chapter?  Half a chapter?  GIFs about a chapter?  LOL.  This is your weekly poke.

@scooterbug8515 Markings are coming along!  That's great!  I hope NaNo has been good to you so far.  Go words!!

@Theia Nice goals!  Whatcha got so far?

@teh tarik Fifteen minutes a day sounds totally doable.  How's day nine going?  (I should do this... it sounds so easy... fifteen minutes... yeah...)

I hope I didn't miss anyone.  If you're not with us, and you're writing OF for NaNo, feel free to join in with goals.  :)

Onwards!

• Like 2

Hey hey, it's another Friday!  Things have been quiet in here, so I hope that means we're all making words on our projects.

Let's assume that things are going swimmingly.  (positive thoughts, yeah!)

This week, I wrote another scene on my novel project.  I haven't done any work on the short story, but that should come this weekend.  Last Sunday, I was able to scoot out of my life for a few hours and do a write-in with some NaNoers in my area.  I saw some familiar faces and met some new ones.  I kind of felt a little awkward with my three beverages (I had brought a bottle of water and an iced chai latte, and THEN I made some hot tea when I got there, so all my beverage choices were covered, lol) and I was proud of myself for staying away from the cookies.  And I got words.  

@StarFeather  @MadiMalfoy  @Rumpelstiltskin  @scooterbug8515  @Theia  @teh tarik

Here's your weekly poke!  Keep wording!

• Like 2

my progress has been slow but i've been getting some words down. i've fallen behind on my nano word count by 10k, and i don't think i'll manage to catch up. but word count aside, i've got two chapters written for novel 1 (each of around 5k words) and one chapter written for novel 2. I'm halfway through making edits to my first short story, and I'm also working on polishing up the second chapter of novel 1 a bit so it can be workshopped with my writing cohort next week. i've been loaded on caffeine as well, averaging four cups of coffee a day haha. things are looking up though - my writing mentor has given me some really good feedback on my work and she said i have good chances of being published, so i'm working towards that not-so-impossible dream. :)

• Like 2

My first attempt couldn't get the prize, however, the characters I created will continue their journey. I like them. (Though my RL and other tasks have prevented me from writing, I will find time to add more words.)

Thanks for the weekly pokes, @Pixileanin! ^_^

My original goals were this:

1. Finish plotting and writing character briefs - by 31 Oct (that gives me 2 days)
Well, I didn't really finish the character briefs, but I did have some sort of a very very vague outline - and I had a vague idea how the story would end

2. Write intensively for at least 15 minutes per day during Nov.
I don't actually know if I'm doing 15mins every day - I don't time myself! However, I have updated my word count every day! Some days I do the hard thing and wake up early just to squeeze in like 300 words or something

3. Hit 10K words - by 15 Nov
I hit 10K words sometime ago - I'm now at 18,000 words, so word count wise, I'm OK

4. 20K by 30 Nov

NaNo has been tricky these last few days - I managed to injure my neck somehow, and had to go to physio because I was in so much pain and could hardly move my neck. I'm still in pain, but it's a little better as I can turn my head slowly now lol. I'm also still recovering from a hand injury, so yeah, my body is rebelling against me. Writing my NaNo project is the only thing that I look forward to these days, and I do my best to add to my word count even when I'm in discomfort. Though that means I have to slow down.

While I'm ahead of my NaNo target of 20K by the end of Nov, unfortunately me being over optimistic overestimated my ability to write a novella in 20K words. Nope, doesn't look like it's happening. I'm at 18,000+ words and I'm not even halfway yet in terms of ploy. And I so, so badly want to finish this draft by the end of November. I've been withdrawing mostly from Twitter / Tumblr / the forums because I'm devoting all of my free time to work on this.

• Like 2

Well I've spent hardly any time this last week on the site and have done basically no writing at all for NaNo, so that's a bummer. I've also still not gotten into scrivener :/

But the good news is this next week is Thanksgiving and I don't have lab on Wednesday or terrible quantum mechanics homework due this week either so woohoo! I plan to finish my current piece for NaNo and then take some time these next few days and actually work on my goals for OF :P 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey hey, it's that time of the week and I'm feeling LUCKY!!!

Let's see how we did at the close of November and celebrate our words!  One of the most difficult things about writing OF for me is not having an entire community to discuss plot points with.  We just don't get that great "wouldn't it be cool if (character A) did this crazy thing instead of (crazy canon thing)" and having loads of people fanning all over our ideas.  It's HARD to do this kind of cheer-leading for our original characters and original plots and original WORLDS solo, people.  I often feel this great sense of being sucked into a dark room where all my ideas that once felt fresh and exciting just fade into the shadows.  And that's kind of an inside joke, because my OF world has this whole mess of people who literally live in the 'shadows'... and no one gets this because it's OF.  Sigh.  I'll laugh with myself here.

So, if you're still with me, and you're still responding to my weekly pokes, please feel free to tell us what you discovered about your OF recently that you haven't discovered before.  Even if it's something that seems as trivial as "my MC's hair color changed three times... I think he's obsessed with hair dye!".  LOL! Just keep it to 50 words or less.

Here's my progress:  This week, I completed my monthly word count goal.  In my How To Write a Novel course, one of the lessons talked about setting a word count goal for yourself, and then sticking to it.  Not in the sense of "write as much as you can", but something very reasonable.  Doable.  THEN, (and this is the important part) DO NOT INCREASE YOUR GOAL.  Hit the goal.  Succeed.  And do it every time.  

What she explained was that sometimes happens is, we meet the goal, and then say, "Hey, I did it!  I can do MORE!" and we increase our goal until the goal is not achievable any longer.  That's when we fail.  Our muses don't like to fail.  It's a way of setting ourselves up for failure.  So I did this. My goal was three writing sessions a week, with a goal of about 300 words each. I can consistently do this in about an hour, even if the words are hard.  My weekly goal was 2,272 words.  I wrote 9000 new words this month, which, daily, didn't seem like a lot, but it all added up.  There were times when I only had little fifteen minute or twenty minute writing spurts, but the wc was low enough that I hit it.  YAY!!!  And as much as I THINK I can do more, I'm going to keep this goal.  Especially since December is going to be all kinds of crazy.

I did not finish my short story like I had hoped this month.  I'm adding that to next month's goal.  This will happen.

Okay, so as I'm babbling about stuff, here's what I discovered about my story:

I met a new character that at first seemed like window dressing, but introduced a mind magic element to my world that I had previously been worried wouldn’t fit.  His circumstances showed the questionable ethics associated with said magic as well. Yay for increased conflicts! (45 words)

That's it for me.  How about you??

@MadiMalfoy Did Thanksgiving give you the time you wanted?  How was NaNo overall??

@teh tarik You're rocking those goals!!  It's probably not what you hoped for, but it's WORDS, so celebrate them!  Has your neck gotten any better?

@StarFeather Does that mean that you entered the contest?  I'm proud of you for finishing the story!  I hope you get some time to write soon.  Any new words?

@galadriel Yay for writing mentors!!  My short story fell... short of its goal.  lol.  Nice to hear that yours is coming along!  Chapters are good!  What's cooking now?

@scooterbug8515 I hope that Dragon Academy is coming along.  How's the revision?  I know revision can be long and lonely.  (Cheers from the sidelines) You can do this!!

@Rumpelstiltskin New words?  New thoughts?  Any thoughts on words?

ONWARDS TO DECEMBER!  ARGH!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Pixileanin said:

DO NOT INCREASE YOUR GOAL.  Hit the goal.  Succeed.  And do it every time. 

I need to make a poster out of this and pin it up where I can see it everyday, haha. 

I wrote 9000 new words this month, which, daily, didn't seem like a lot, but it all added up.  

GO YOU!! :banana:

so, I've been doing something similar to what you said about having smaller, attainable goals. I've been making myself write for at least 30 mins everyday and get some words down. It's super hard - I hate most of the words and only a few of them actually stay on but it's a way of keeping the practice going. re: my previous goals - well... i failed miserably. I got only 15k words written for NaNo, half of which are shit. I didn't edit those short stories I wanted to bc I ended up starting a rewrite of them and now they're just a big mess. I didn't get any worldbuilding done for MatMoM but i did start developing a new dystopian universe so i guess that's something?? 

I got to know my character really likes roofs though. Like, she sits on roofs all the time. And while she was on a roof, she realised that she could compare her life to a coffee cup. (don't ask me where that's going, i don't know myself) 

anyhoo, my goals for this month are much simpler in the hopes that i'll actually manage to keep up with them. 

• 30 mins of writing everyday to keep the momentum going
  • complete the first draft of a new short story
  • complete one piece of poetry 
  • Like 2

Dragon Academy is coming along.  I've been learning a lot and there is a lot more to it than I originally thought which isn't a bad thing but it means my intended progress has slowed down drastically.  I paused revisions for the sake of writing in November and I'm taking a small mental break now that NaNo is down and then I'll be back on the revision train while writing at a slower pace the rest of Dragon Academy.  This coming month is BUSY as I have social things to go to and an apartment to scour as I'm hosting a party at my place as well.  So we'll see how well I can juggle all the the things!

• Like 2

@scooterbug8515 I am right with you on all the things.  I had to stop accepting more calendar things for December and just start saying, "Sorry, December is full!"  For example, next saturday, my family of 6 has 4 simultaneous events.  It's just crazy.  But we can do this! (Is batman in disguise)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

@MadiMalfoy Did Thanksgiving give you the time you wanted?  How was NaNo overall??

Thanksgiving did not give me the OF time but it definitely gave me the “let’s pump out two challenge entries” time! NaNo was a success, overall, which I’m very happy about! (Sorry I still am only few hundred words into the next chapter of your Sybill story ?)

I thankfully got ahead on homework today so I plan to *actually* dive into my Scrivener free trial and really start building things up for my universe! Now though I may be switching who my MC is — Amaryllis got a phenomenal reception from her character vignette so she may be taking the place of Myrcella. But hey, who knows what can happen? ? 

I also came up with a neat little background detail for Eirraphe (Amaryllis’s dragon familiar) so I have the beginnings of an idea for that for @StarFeather‘s Dragon Tale Challenge! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

My weekly goal was 2,272 words.  I wrote 9000 new words this month, which, daily, didn't seem like a lot, but it all added up.  There were times when I only had little fifteen minute or twenty minute writing spurts, but the wc was low enough that I hit it.  YAY!!!  And as much as I THINK I can do more, I'm going to keep this goal.  Especially since December is going to be all kinds of crazy.

That's wonderful, pix! And  I totally agree with setting small and doable goals - if not, I'm just going to get all kinds of discouraged and can quickly lose motivation.

23 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

@teh tarik You're rocking those goals!!  It's probably not what you hoped for, but it's WORDS, so celebrate them!  Has your neck gotten any better?

Thank you! I managed to hit my last goat (which was 20K by 30 Nov) -- in fact, I exceeded my goal, and exited November with over 32K words. So yay! They're pretty badly written words, but I need them anyway - I need them to get my story draft out. I can do all the fixing and polishing and rewriting once I've got this first complete draft. Even though I expected my story to be done by 20K -- and right now at 32K, I'm just under halfway >.< -- I'm still pretty happy. Hopefully as I keep working on this, I'll have a better idea how to fix it and focus it more and develop worldbuilding.

As for my neck, it's got a bit better, yes. Though today things deteriorated a bit and I was in quite a bit of discomfort. :(

December writing goals!

1. Finish up an Xmas fic that's been sitting unfinished for too many years

2. Keep putting in words for my OF NaNo. 10 - 15 minutes a day. Hit 40K by 15 Dec!

• Like 3