News Ticker

Sort your non-HP characters.

Margaret

I know a lot of us write original fiction or fanfiction for other fandoms as well as HP and I don't know about anybody else, but I have occasionally wondered where certain of my original characters would be sorted if they were in the Potterverse.

Give your character's house and explain why.

Fidelma would be a Ravenclaw. She is interested in everything, especially other cultures, loves reading and is just generally a dreamer.

Donna, from another of my stories surprised me. My original thoughts were Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff, since she is very hardworking, caring and the sort of person who'd be disappointed by a B. She values intelligence very highly. But then it occurred to me that in the entire novel length story she never once showed particular interest in anything she learnt, unlike Fidelma, who is constantly enthusing about "you know what I read online today" or commenting that, "I've never read any Asian mythology. I must sometime." Donna values education and intelligence entirely because of how it can help you get on. And while she is a very kind and caring person, she is not willing to put her future plans on hold for others either. There is a point at which she has to make that decision and, while she feels guilty about it, she does do what will benefit her.

So while it would certainly not have been my initial thought, I would say she's a Slytherin. She was a lot harder than Fidelma though, because she has traits of all four houses. She is extremely brave too, but I don't think she'd want to be a Gryffindor. In some ways, her attitude would be like Hermione's, but there is no way she would choose to leave school in order to stand by Harry at the end of Half Blood Prince. Again she would feel guilty about it, but being unqualified would be just unthinkable to her; it would be the ultimate failure.

Oh this is soo much fun.  Without a second thought my character from my novel, Sharon Holmes is so Ravenclaw!  She is all about empirical evidence and the truth.  She is very cerebral and knowledge and figuring things out is her life very little beyond that matters to her.

As for the narrator of my Novel, Winston Yates... I think he just might be a Hufflepuff.  He's super loyal and hard working.  He has a bit of bravery but he hesitates to leap into action some so he's not a Gryffindor and he does not look to attain power like a Slytherin and he isn't cunning however he is smart.  So I mean Ravenclaw has potential for him but it isn't about the knowledge he is curious but it isn't everything to him.  He's an all-arounder much like Hufflepuffs.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I'm going to go with my three most recent stories/fanfictions.

-My short story character Halston: Though he's abusive to his boyfriend, there's no way in hell he's Slytherin. Actually, if I go deeper into his character then I did, I'd say he's Gryffindor. He's taken on a harder career choice, and he challenges himself. Basically he's bold.

-My newest novel character: Irah is curious about everything. He's wise, and would rather be in the forest with a book than with people. I'm putting him in Ravenclaw!

-The Hogwarts Diversities Program: James is never sorted, because he's stubborn and rips the hat off himself, explaining the whole thing and marching over to join the vampire he's charged with protecting (Nicholas). He's a dhampir, and he's snarky. I'd say either Slytherin or Gryffindor. He's got a need for power, but he's super bold and brave.

This was cool, I'd never thought of doing this before.

• 9 months later...

Oh look I'm back.

I need to sort Rhys Chaney. I must.

He's a cocky arse, but he has a secret sweet side. He's incredibly intelligent and very gifted with his instruments. He's quite solitary, even though he's always surrounded by girls and friends. And he's a... Ravenpuff!

• 1 month later...

i haven't looked at the story in ages and made no attempt to continue it but from my nano novel, white picket fence:

james sinar: definitely a gryffindor, i'd say. he's unbelievably loyal to his little brother in that unapologetically aggressive way, boisterous, headstrong, jumps into things without thinking. i actually like this bc we see gryffindors so often as the good guys but james is a lot less easily defined than that

ollie sinar: i was hovering between hufflepuff and ravenclaw but ultimately decided on ravenclaw. he's dreamy, often with his head over his notepad, quiet and reserved and rather gentle

sahira dey: hufflepuff to the core. she's extremely hardworking (like h-e-l-l-a) and very loyal to the ones she loves. she also has a soft spot for the underdog

rowan west: one of the more common types of gryffindor you see in fanfiction - charming, outgoing, unafraid to be himself. swears like a sailor and breaks half a hundred rules

alfie anderson: slytherin. he learnt to look after himself and only himself since he was in an abusive household with no one to help him. when he opens up his heart to anyone (aka his best mate, ollie sinar, who offers a room at his house for him), he will fight for them until the end

• 9 months later...
Guest Tanda

From Moribito

Balsa is definitely a Gryffindor as well as Jiguro. She is a wandering spear wielder.  Jiguro taught her how to survive, both of them on the run fighting against the assassins from their home country, Kanbal. They made a living off of doing body guard for mostly merchants. 

Tanda will be a Hufflepuff or a partly Gryffindor. He knows herbal plants very well and can see what Balsa cannot. He dared to do magical attempts to protect his dearest people in spite of his trainee's level.

Tanda's magical Mentor, Torogai must be a Ravenclaw. Her knowledge about Nayugu is profound. She saved new Yogo people from enormous flood by using her power.

Chagum could be a Gryffindor after he was trained by Balsa. He got trust from the kings, like Rota Kingdom and Kanbal to fight back against Tarush Empire and protected his own country, New Yogo Kingdom.

Asura is also a Gryffindor, she sealed the evil power inside her, which led her dumb when she was only twelve.

Chagum's loyal servant, a star diviner, Shuga is a half Ravenclaw and a half Slytherin. He made effort to learn more from Trogai to save new Yogo, at the same time, he calculated what would be the best for his country to survive. 

• 2 months later...

How have I not??? Jumped into this thread before?? 

So I write an original collab with a friend of mine - we're actually on the last chapter of it (!) - and we've been writing and re-writing these characters for decades.  But we've constantly talked about what houses these characters are in, and I figured it's time to share, because we just wrote the best version of them. [And to be honest, you'll see sprinklings of these personalities in some of my fanfiction stories as well]

Katie Ryder is a Gryffindor with a Hufflepuff heart. She's headstrong, impulsive, stubborn, a little reckless, and is always trying to do the right thing by what she believes (even if it's not always right). She's protective and bold; she eventually seeks justice, has unwaveringly loyalty for her friends, and has a huge heart under her cool exterior. 

Luke Fitzgerald is a Gryffindor through and through. He's loyal, noble, and is always looking to do the right thing. He clashes with authority if he thinks it's the right move - he doesn't trust them. He believes in justice, and is kind of a softy under his fortress.

Sam Hamilton is a Slytherin. He's totally ambitious, cunning, and clever. He can talk anyone into almost anything, but he uses his powers mostly for good. He's very protective of his people, versus people in general. He's super intelligent and is living a double life.

Addie Corrigan is a Ravenclaw with a Hufflepuff heart. She's wicked intelligent, loves learning, and accepting. Like the other three, she's incredibly loyal, and her patience is unwavering. She's probably the most 50/50 character we have sorted. 

There are others, of course, but those are the main 4, and I love them dearly. :wub:

I always try to sort whatever characters I create because it definitely gives me a good feel of their characters and what's important to them -- even if they wouldn't know what it means to be a Gryffindor.