Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the new badges we have available.
  • Why did Professor Snape stand in the middle of the road?
  • So you'll never know which side he's on.
beyond the rain

Snamione (Severus/Hermione)

beyond the rain

So, as there was no topic for my OTP, I just had to post one. I've always felt Hermione needed someone to match her own intellect. Someone she can have in depth conversations with and debates. Intelligence is her passion but if someone's not there to encourage her I feel like she'd get bored. That's why I love Snape/Hermione. I'd never read Snamione up until a year ago when I came across a really well written time travel fic (sadly I read it all in one night and can't even remember what it was called ugh) that was Snamione, and since then I fell in love.

Personally as long as Hermione is older, I love Snamione. I love the idea that years later after the war Hermione ends up moving, by accident, into the same muggle town that Severus lives in, and her being the stubborn gryffindor - refuses to change up her routine just so he can have his solitude. Or another favourite is again when Hermione's in her mid-late 20s and she returns to Hogwarts to teach. (although they're not ToS compliant with HPFF archives I don't think??? I'm not too sure)

Unfortunately all of these ideas are AU [sobs] but this ship warms my heart.

Snape spent so much time loving Lily and paying for his debt that he got nothing in return, which is such an unhappy, undeserving ending for him. A part of me wonders if he did really love Lily, or if he understood what love was. I always imagine him feeling different about Hermione than how he felt for Lily.

Idk, this could just be me though :D

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Slytherinchica08

Unfortunately, this is one pairing that I just can't quite get behind. Part of it is the age thing, another the teacher/student/mentor relationship but a big part of course for me is that I believe Hermione belongs with Draco.

However, there are some things with this pairing that I very much can get behind. The biggest being that they become friends of sorts. Maybe even calling them friends is a bit strong for what their relationship would actually be. I guess confidants would maybe be a better term. Either way, I could see them as being friendly towards each other, definitely some concern especially since I imagine Hermione reminds Snape so much of Lily that at times the boundaries for him could be a bit questionable.

The other form of relationship I have seen between the two that I can get behind would be a more fatherly figure role that Snape plays. I've seen this done in many different ways, Hermione was adopted and Snape is her real father or that Snape ends up being the one to take her in. I have seen both versions of this in a few different dramiones I have read over the years.

I do believe that intellectually, Snape is definitely very bright, he is after all, the half blood prince. But rather than being a romantic interest in this aspect, I could definitely see a mentor/friendship/fatherly relationship blooming between the two. And while this pairing may not be a pairing I would typically consider, a well written fic (no matter the pairing) can typically make me understand a previously unexplored pairing. So maybe I just need that well written Snamione to get me into this pairing.

MegGonagall

Love this ship! Love, love, love! Basically everything you said is EXACTLY how I feel.

Personally, my favorites are the ones where she travels back in time and she and Snape cross paths and realize, after a while, that they have a bit in common and become friends, then slowly fall for one another. Slow burn Snamione's are my favorite.

I also do like the fics where she's of age and goes back to teach and they connect there. I know there are stories like that on HPFF. My first fic (which was SO bad I deleted it) was something similar to that.

But everything you said about the two of them intellectually and how he'd feel differently for her than for Lily; I agree with all of it. Everything you said is exactly why I fell in love with this ship. They're not my OTP (that's ScorBus), but they're pretty darn close.

Another thing I love about Snamione fics is the snark. Snape can be mean and broody, and Hermione doesn't take any crap. When there are really well written snarky exchanges between the two of them, I squee.

I know this isn't a popular ship in our HPFT community, so I'm always so happy when I find another shipper! I wish more people would give the ship a chance. If it's written well, and the characters aren't too OOC, they can be really great and make the pairing a lot of sense.

• Like 1

Stella Blue

Snamione is such an interesting ship. I wouldn't say that I particularly love this ship (similarly to Erica's reasons - age, the student/teacher thing, and other ships taking priority - only for me it's because I love Ronmione :P ), however, as characters Severus and Hermione do have a lot in common in terms of both being very bright and taking pride in their intelligence, and the fact that Hermione is quite similar to Lily.

I don't actively seek out this ship to read, but I have read some good Snamione's - when it comes down to it, the most important thing is just that the story is well-written and that the characters are believable. I think this ship has to progress slowly and be a sort of slow burn, given their history as characters and their personalities.

And in fact, @ beyond the rain, if you want to read an excellent Snamione, check out Meg's AP for the time-travel fic Saving Severus Snape. (I highly recommend this story despite the fact that I'm not even a huge fan of the ship in general, so you KNOW it's good.)

WindingArrow

My neighbor has been obsessed with this pairing for a while now. (When she gets obsessed, she has to read every story she can find with them before moving on and apparently there are A LOT as she has been reading for several months now.) I am a Dramione girl myself, but if it weren't for the age difference, I could get behind Hermione and Snape. If it were time travel or simply a wild AU where Hermione is much older, I think it could turn out like an Aria/Ezra Pretty Little Liars thing.

Honestly, a time travel would be brilliant and full of angst if she had to return to her own time and not be allowed to see him. (This is what Jill has done to me. Find the angst and exploit it.)

I don't much care for the ones that force them together via spell or wizarding law. Personality wise, though, I probably would have shipped them more than I did Romione if age hadn't been a factor.

Alexis Black

I've read this pairing when they're both adults as well as with student/teacher. (Long story short, I used to validate stories at another site ages ago, so I saw a lot of things, some I wish I could forget).

Depending on how it's handled, I can enjoy both. For anyone looking for this pairing and not readily finding what you crave, I'd suggest you try visting Ashwinder. The archive is not as robustly active as it was back in the day, but it's still up and accepting stories. Oh, and you might want to check out their ratings system if you want to avoid hard core material - they do accept some rather racy tales.

Nhaz

Only if it involves Hermione travelling back in time to the Marauders Era and starting a relationship with a young Severus. Otherwise, the relationship between a middle-aged man and a student he spent 6-7 years teaching since she was twelve (and resenting her for being a talented Muggleborn girl and friends with a Potter, like the girl he had a crush on)... just... no. Especially if he projects Lily onto her.

SnapeLove

Uhhh, I see this thread is long abandoned, but hey it is one of two my OTPs so....

I really love this pairing, and I can see them work (unlike Hermione's cannon one). She needs someone on her intellectual level, who can understand and support how driven she is. Also, she needs someone who does not need "mothering type" which she isn't. she also needs someone mature because she is more mature than her peers.  Likewise, she needs someone she can't intimidate, strong enough to go into an argument with her without throwing a tantrum fit.

Snape... well he is all another story. He needs someone who can match him on an intellectual level but also who wouldn't be intimidated by him, and who is still gentle and affectionate. He reminds me of all those guys who are tough, bordering on unpleasant to the surroundings with a heart of gold. All you have to do is break through the armour. I am not convinced that he and Lily would work even if he got the chance, but he never had a chance. His boyhood crush (one that is not completely based on love - she was only person nice to him - the complexity of that merits pages and pages of explanations) died and it was partially his fault. I see his "love" as guilt discussed as love, placed on a pedestal high above reality. The perfect love, one that is so perfect because never happened.

I can read any of the SS/HG stories, but I do prefer ones where she is more mature, and he had at least bit time to heal. So, either when she returns to finish her education (so-called 8th year) or as an apprentice or when she is older. I see them as one of those couples that would fall in the same line as Elisabeth and Darcy (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin) or Beatrice and Benedick (Much ado about nothing by Shakespeare).

• Like 1

RoxiMalfoy
On 1/8/2018 at 6:43 AM, SnapeLove said:

Uhhh, I see this thread is long abandoned, but hey it is one of two my OTPs so....

I really love this pairing, and I can see them work (unlike Hermione's cannon one). She needs someone on her intellectual level, who can understand and support how driven she is. Also, she needs someone who does not need "mothering type" which she isn't. she also needs someone mature because she is more mature than her peers.  Likewise, she needs someone she can't intimidate, strong enough to go into an argument with her without throwing a tantrum fit.

Snape... well he is all another story. He needs someone who can match him on an intellectual level but also who wouldn't be intimidated by him, and who is still gentle and affectionate. He reminds me of all those guys who are tough, bordering on unpleasant to the surroundings with a heart of gold. All you have to do is break through the armour. I am not convinced that he and Lily would work even if he got the chance, but he never had a chance. His boyhood crush (one that is not completely based on love - she was only person nice to him - the complexity of that merits pages and pages of explanations) died and it was partially his fault. I see his "love" as guilt discussed as love, placed on a pedestal high above reality. The perfect love, one that is so perfect because never happened.

I can read any of the SS/HG stories, but I do prefer ones where she is more mature, and he had at least bit time to heal. So, either when she returns to finish her education (so-called 8th year) or as an apprentice or when she is older. I see them as one of those couples that would fall in the same line as Elisabeth and Darcy (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin) or Beatrice and Benedick (Much ado about nothing by Shakespeare).

Hey, umm... @MegGonagall, look!! I think I found you a new best friend, lol!!! :roflol:

And @SnapeLove, have you read After Life [M] yet? It's Meg's newest Snamione story. I just finished catching up on it today, and it is SOOO GOOD!!! :hearteyes: I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet!!! :thumbsup: 

Edited by RoxiMalfoy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Elena

Admittingly, I found this pairing on Restricted Section, which no longer exists. Much like Dramione when I first read it - I was a bit on the Ewww side. But then I quickly fell in love. Age has no bearing if Hermione is of age (as in real life, I'm married to a man 16 years older than myself). I find Hermione breaks the seriousness of Severus. She brings the softer side out of him, the side that can love with his entire soul but also match his wit and intelligence. I have written one Snape/Hermione Voyeuristic Ways (T) but loved reading various stories with this pair.

SnapeLove
13 hours ago, RoxiMalfoy said:

Hey, umm... @MegGonagall, look!! I think I found you a new best friend, lol!!! :roflol:

And @SnapeLove, have you read After Life [M] yet? It's Meg's newest Snamione story. I just finished catching up on it today, and it is SOOO GOOD!!! :hearteyes: I would highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet!!! :thumbsup: 

Thank you @RoxiMalfoy for the recommendation - I still didn't manage to read her story but I will :)

SS/HG is my favourite sandbox to play in, and most of my stories are created for that sandbox, but sadly, I won't share them here - they are explicit and Mature Adult by nature, not to mention in a desperate need of a beta. But I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in my passion for this couple :)

Edited by SnapeLove
  • Like 2

Shadowkat678

I've never really liked this ship. Since I'm a Remadora shipper I really have no room to argue age gap, but I've seen multiple fics that had the romance start while she was still underage, and that really puts me off. Especially with the whole Professor and student thing. A lot of bad stuff happens in real life surrounding those relationships.

Not to mention how many times he insulted her and it being too often hand waved away. Which is an issue I have with Dramione as well. Many people don't take time to develop how things changed.

Also, I while they're both smart, there's other traits I feel that might make them clash pretty hard.

Edited by Shadowkat678

MegGonagall
4 hours ago, Shadowkat678 said:

Not to mention how many times he insulted her and it being too often hand waved away. Which is an issue I have with Dramione as well. Many people don't take time to develop how things changed.

I’m not going to argue that he never insulted her, but so did Ron. Ron was pretty awful to her for a majority of the series. Between the names that he called her, completely ignoring her, because she may have possibly kissed Krum, isolating her during her third year, because of Crookshanks, and many other instances. Obviously from canon we know that she eventually forgave him, so why couldn’t it be the same with Severus (or Draco) in fanfiction.

• Like 1

Shadowkat678
8 minutes ago, MegGonagall said:

I’m not going to argue that he never insulted her, but so did Ron. Ron was pretty awful to her for a majority of the series. Between the names that he called her, completely ignoring her, because she may have possibly kissed Krum, isolating her during her third year, because of Crookshanks, and many other instances. Obviously from canon we know that she eventually forgave him, so why couldn’t it be the same with Severus (or Draco) in fanfiction.

Well yes. But that's why I said "Many people don't take time to develop how things changed." For example, with Dramione, I've run across more than one story where Draco bumps into her somehow, randomly starts thinking that he's been a jerk, and suddenly Hermione admits she's always loved them and they're kissing by chapter three. Then Draco starts to realize he's always had a crush on her and OBVIOUSLY he wasn't being mean because she was a Muggleborn. No. It was like those schoolyard crushes where that one boy bullies the girl on the playground because he doesn't know how to say "I like you". We saw how Ron matured in the last few books, and they were still friends. He was rude a lot, but there was more to it than that. Snape and Draco both never really showed any respect or friendly feelings towards here. Snape protected all of the trio a few times, but it was more out of a sense of duty and that they were students, and thus as a teacher he had the obligation to protect them, than actually respecting her. 

So there are more than a few key differences when it comes to Ron vs Draco and Snape. I'm all for a good Snape redemption fic. Read a good one a few months back where both he and Lily somehow go back in time to being children after dying and end up together as he's learned since before. It wasn't bad at all. But there was lead up. There was a gradual thing going. There are fics for those ships out there, but most I've come across just...well. Don't fit, or it's like they're writing completely different characters and have to completely rewrite their personalities to make it work. So they might as well be two OCs instead of the pairing listed.

Again. Not always. But I've noticed it a lot with those two ships, and it's something that personally rubs me wrong.

Edited by Shadowkat678
  • Like 1

MegGonagall
10 minutes ago, Shadowkat678 said:

Snape protected all of the trio a few times, but it was more out of a sense of duty and that they were students, and thus as a teacher he had the obligation to protect them, than actually respecting her. 

I mean as far as Dramione goes, it isn’t really all that relevant, since this is a Snamione topic. And I don’t read Dramiones, so I don’t have an informed opinion on the pairing since I don’t read it.

But as for what I quoted here. We have no idea what Snape really thought of her. At all. Being who he was, he could have hardly shown any kindness to the Muggleborn best friend of Harry Potter. Dumbledore told him that Voldemort would return one day, and Snape had a part to play. And then once Voldemort did return, he certainly couldn’t show her any kindness. He could have respected the hell out of her and we would have never known it. 

I know that not everyone likes the ship. I mean there are only like 6 Snamione fics on HPFT, and 5 I’ve written, so I know it’s not popular here. But I love the paring, and have read many that are really great. I’m not a huge critic of people making their characters a little OOC in fanfiction, because it’s fanfiction. It’s that person’s interpretation of the character, and I’m not going to fault them for that. 

• Like 1

Shadowkat678

I was just using it as a comparison, because I've seen similarities in them a lot. And that's true. He couldn't very well show that. But even when he was in the presence of someone that wasn't dangerous to show his thoughts around he acted the same. Snape is a very complex character, and one of the things I like about him is how you never really know everything he's intending. I don't think even HE knows. However, this is one area I can say I feel, myself, reasonable safe on saying in canon that he wasn't too found of many people, especially around Harry with all his mixed feelings about him. Considering she was one of his best friends a bit of that logically could be assumed to have rubbed off on her. 

And yes. I'm fine with a little OOC. In fact, I really like talking about and seeing different interpretations. But I'm talking like really big character traits that would completely change who they are. There comes a point when they're just not the same person you're expecting to be reading about. Again, my issue is without explanation. If there was something that CAUSED it, I'm good with that. And I have no issue with others liking it. These are just my thoughts on the matter.

SnapeLove
38 minutes ago, Shadowkat678 said:

But even when he was in the presence of someone that wasn't dangerous to show his thoughts around he acted the same. Snape is a very complex character, and one of the things I like about him is how you never really know everything he's intending. I don't think even HE knows. However, this is one area I can say I feel, myself, reasonable safe on saying in canon that he wasn't too found of many people, especially around Harry with all his mixed feelings about him. Considering she was one of his best friends a bit of that logically could be assumed to have rubbed off on her. 

I am sorry but I have to disagree with this. We can't know how he acted to her when there was no one around, we never witnessed that, the books are written from Harry's POV, and the moment we can see...well they are not alone again, and the situation isn't the best, moments after that he did kill Albus.  

I know that canon presented him the way you see him, and I presume with good reason... but! - He was Hedo of House for years, he was friend with Malfoys, he had civil if not friendly relation with other teachers. All those little clues are also hidden in the books, and I mean really well hidden. 

I can see them together, not during his teaching days, but in heavy AU. But everyone has the right to their opinion. I was convinced to give the pairing chance - molested into reading the story by a friend - it could go either way. Lucky for me I read something that made sense to me and turned me into a believer. If you read some of the fics that are poorly compiled or sound unreasonable I can understand you. 

Edited by SnapeLove
  • Like 1

Shadowkat678

I'm talking about in other platforms, which yes. A lot of people don't accept as canon. But most of what we know from J.K (again, I know a lot of people discard it, but I think I remember she also talked about it before spewing a lot of BS she has lately) certainly made him seem that way. 

And again. I'm saying most stories. There are ALWAYS exceptions to the rule. I've read some good Dramione and Drarry fics, even though they're not things I personally ship. But for most of what I've come across not so much. Time Travel fics are something I could stand, but like I said, there's more (a lot more) than a few that start while she's still underage, which is a huge no for me. There's not many on here, but if I remember correctly when I first joined FFN there was a boatload of them. And I also know a lot of these bad experience could be written by some writers who may not be as experienced. I can understand that. My first fic (fully deleted) had some REALLY OOC stuff and some REALLY big things that now would make me hit backspace. 

It's just that there are so many of them with these issues it makes me not even want to bother wading in.

Also, I think I can get with Slytherinchika on the part where it'd probably be more believable to me for them to somehow be friends. Romance just seems like such a big jump to me, especially, again, with how fast a lot of people tend to take it.

Edited by Shadowkat678

SnapeLove

Well, the main thing I don't forget is J.K.'s statement that she based Snape on a teacher she hated.  So... I never after looked much at what she said about him outside the books. He was my favourite character from book 1 and he remained No1 until the end. For me, the whole end that turned the people to like Snape was...slightly disappointing. Everlasting undying unrequired love - I had a hard time swallowing that. Guilt - I can believe that anytime but faithfulness to an ideal.... ugh no, just no! 

Same is with Ron/Hermione - Ron is ok, but they are not compatible, never were and a mushy romance at the end, with HEA splattered all over is bordering on fairy-tale. 

So basically, I see two of them compatible, not easily or out of the blue...but highly compatible for numerous reasons - if the story is set in AU and she is a bit older, and he had time to heal.

Edited by SnapeLove

Shadowkat678

Maybe. They just strike me more as friends, and maybe even have too much in common. Personally, I definitely look for people who match some of my traits, but a important thing with them is that neither are really...well. Emotionally sensitive, though Hermione a bit more so. I could certainly see this leading to some clashing, and I think Snape would be better with someone who could really balance against his inherent pessimism. Hermione got better throughout the series, but she's still a character that's pretty uptight, like Snape is. If he was going to get in a relationship after Lily, I'd think there'd need to be more balancing qualities, along with matching ones. I do think he would respect her intelligence if they got close, but I have friends I have a lot in common with, but I really couldn't see them as more than friends for the same reasons I describe with these two. We'd trip each other up in more than one area, and that's not good for romantic relationships. Unless you could work out something, but another issue is they're BOTH just so stubborn. Setting aside everything else I said earlier, there'd still be a few issues when it comes to this.

I could read some AUs most likely in the case you described. But from what we've seen so far, as those are all pretty core traits that they'd probably still have, eh. Again. Just doesn't seem like it'd fit with how I've come to understand these characters.

Edited by Shadowkat678
  • Like 1

SnapeLove
3 minutes ago, Shadowkat678 said:

Unless you could work out something, but another issue is they're BOTH just so stubborn. Setting aside everything else I said earlier, there'd still be a few issues when it comes to this.

Oh, I know. I'm battling that demon right now in my latest story. It takes time, loads of research and lot of deleted or re-written paragraphs, but I think it's doable - at least I hope so :D

Shadowkat678
13 minutes ago, SnapeLove said:

Oh, I know. I'm battling that demon right now in my latest story. It takes time, loads of research and lot of deleted or re-written paragraphs, but I think it's doable - at least I hope so :D

Good luck with that. xD

• Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin

I agree, I much prefer my Snamione to be when either Hermione has been sent back in time or when she's older (essentially, anything that's not creepy ^_^) but I have been loving me some Snamione, especially over the past year.

There are so many things to take into account, here, of course, as Kat had mentioned--the insults, the stubbornness (both of them), the temperament (both of them) and, once again, as Kat had argued as well, the 'relationship rushing' that is sometimes used in fanfiction (which I think is more of an issue with all ships than just Snamione, but I'm a sucker for a slow burn so who am I to judge :P ). What I think is most important with Snamione is the time spent to work out the relationship. If it's Hermione going back in time, she has a predetermined judgement on who he is (of course, depending on when she'd left her own timeline, this may vary) and he has the issues surrounding Lily (which of those issues those may be is of course largely dependent on to what year she had gone back). If we're talking about a 'future' Snamione, both of them have really big issues to work through, too (so much stuff).

That being said, I really think it's important to establish character growth/change for both characters and an experienced time of healing for the relationship to work (and, hey, shout out again to @MegGonagall who does this time and again with beautiful results). They challenge each other intellectually and emotionally and I find extreme appeal and fascination in that kind of relationship. 

I tried to pair Snape with someone once (OC)--they spent the better part of 50k words hating each other more and more. (Obviously, that one has been trashed.) Snape romances are hard. -_-

• Like 4

beyond the rain

Just thought id return to throw in my 2 cents on writing snamione, because ive done it...and i find it so challenging! It could be because my own skills are lacking, or because i love them so much and ill accept nothing but perfection. 

My main struggle is the transition that happens with snape, letting his walls down with Hermione. Personally I don't think he'd let them all down immediately, but i can get far too impatient for him to be so gradual. As well, I try to work out how to write romance...and still be snape. Which is why i agree with @SnapeLove in that I go to books like Pride and Prejudice and look at Darcy's behaviour, and base Severus on that. 

I wrote a snamione fic from another persons point of view, looking in on their relationship...and for me that was the easiest way. I could make it funny, I got to cut out the lead up to the relationship and I got to leave a lot to the reader's imagination than usual. 

Also children. I know that people are split and everyone has their own interpretation, but i like the idea of them having a child. I'm yet to write a pregnancy fic (although how hogwarts scarred me for life touches on that from my OC's pov) but writing severus as a father isnt the difficult part...it's hermione! Severus is such a fiercly loyal and protective person that if someone he created came into his world, he would guard them and love them with everything he had...whilst still being his snarky self because his child would accept that. 

• Like 3

Recent Badges

SnapeLove
22 hours ago, beyond the rain said:

My main struggle is the transition that happens with snape, letting his walls down with Hermione. Personally I don't think he'd let them all down immediately, but i can get far too impatient for him to be so gradual. As well, I try to work out how to write romance...and still be snape. Which is why i agree with @SnapeLove in that I go to books like Pride and Prejudice and look at Darcy's behaviour, and base Severus on that. 

Oh, you not even start to write there if you are not ready for annoying, angsty, slow-slow-slow burn. Or if you go deep into the future where he went through some healing and personality change (which would be writing Snape as ooc - at least on some level). I tried that, it works but not to my absolute satisfaction. With them... I see Hermione as assertive one - so it is basically game of wearing his stubbornness down.

The story I'm writing now 150+K words, 76 chapters and they are still rationalising every speck of attraction, if they (especially him) get even a whiff of it - it is running in opposite direction kicking and screaming. I do have to admit that in this story romance is in the background.

Edited by SnapeLove