Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the new badges we have available.
  • Why did Professor Snape stand in the middle of the road?
  • So you'll never know which side he's on.
Sign in to follow this  
1917farmgirl

Sci-Fi Geeks Extraordinaire Club!

WindingArrow

Does anyone else get Lootcrate? Will anyone else geek out over the BSG Cylon Heavy Raider SCAR with me? Scar was such a great episode! I'm so excited about this figure! *dances*

Charli

I, Charli, solemnly swear by my pretty floral bonnet that undomesticated equines will never drag me away from my love of science fiction.  I further promise to live long and prosper while spreading the love of sci-fi to all galaxies, regardless of whether they look like Canada or not.  I know that it's never easy, but resistance is futile and with the Force I will make it so.  Allons-y!

:) Hi!  I'm Charli and I'm an OLD scifi fan/nerd/geek whatever you wanna call it.  I have loved scifi since discovering original Star Trek as a child.  I clearly remember seeing the episode where Kirk kisses Uhura and the uproar that caused!  Chekov won my heart in the OK Corral episode and McCoy in City On the Edge of Forever!

My favorite scifis include (but are not limited to): Doctor Who, Star Trek (of any generation!), Andromeda, Star Wars, Dark Matter, Battlestar Galactica (either version), and Firefly/Serenity (We took beagles to the movie!  You should have seen the looks I got!!!).

Other ventures into true geekdom included having my entire family stop by the local dollar store to pick up towels before going to Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy!  Yet another time when the locals gave me 'that' look! I reveled in the moment!  My husband?  Not so much!!! 

I credit my crazy love of scifi and my ability to laugh at those who don't get it, to having raised two lovely young daughters who also could not possibly care less what people think about their weirdness!

WindingArrow

Welcome Charli! *belatedly* Know that you are among FRIENDS! <3

Okay, so, I work in a factory and we have these machines called Euroturns and sometimes they screech. Loudly. They aren't supposed to, but the ones that are screeching are in a dept. that is so far behind they literally can't stop to fix the noise so long as the parts are good. So, this screeching sounds weirdly like high-pitched violins and reminds me of the theme music for Ra in the original Stargate movie so every time they start up, I'm like... Looking for Jaffa...

There is another machine and after 5 years, I still don't know what it is, where it is, or what it does, but it sounds like the sound they play in Terminator when Sarah is running from the T-100 in the factory. I don't even know how to describe it.

I'm half convinced that sci-fi soundtracks just go to factories and record the weird noises their machines make...

Stella Blue

Haha, Liz, your post about mundane things making sounds for sci-fi films/series reminded me of this video, featuring a cabinet that sounds like Chewbacca:

(M because youtube, though the video itself is 12+.)

StarFeather
Posted (edited)

You know, Sci-Fic might start from the protagonist's stargazing. Tell me the best place for stargazing you know.

I know the place in Cape Breton, Canada, Nagatoro, Chichibu or sudden appearance of the Milky Way galaxy in your bedroom or in your dad's study... Any other suggestions? The place in your AU stories or in your OF, any places, okay. 

Edited by StarFeather

Sign in to follow this