Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • See the May Bulletin for archive rule/advisory changes.
  • See our badges forum for more details about our new badges system!
  • The Review Transfer Tool is now ready for use.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

May Bulletin   05/01/2018

May's bulletin is up, with all kinds of interesting information (including a tool to mass transfer all reviews you received on HPFF to HPFT's archive). You can check it out +here.
    • toomanycurls

Annual Member Survey   05/09/2018

Please take a moment to fill out the annual member survey before May 31st.  
Sign in to follow this  
WriteYourHeartOut

Fantastic Beasts Casting

WriteYourHeartOut

What do you think of the actors cast in the movie so far?

I, for one, have been a rather obsessive Eddie Redmayne fan since first seeing him in Les Mis, and I was absolutely ecstatic when it was announced he'd be playing Newt Scamander. I'm looking forward to Ezra Miller's role, as well, though I have no idea who Credence is...

Who are you excited to see? Or who do you wish had been cast differently? ^.^

zephyra.

When I found out that Eddie was going to play the role of Newt Scamander, I thought he would be perfect for the role. I've only seen a few of the roles Eddie has been in but I do think he's done a great job with the ones I have seen. Also happy for Ezra Miller. I'll admit that I haven't read the book, but I'm so excited for the movie because it means another look into the Harry Potter world.

Pixileanin

I don't tend to pay attention to actors being cast, but after seeing his picture, I think this younger Newt is going to do a fine, fine job.

I love the period that this movie is set in, particularly because of all the women's hairstyles that glue it so firmly to that time.  The old fashioned feel sits well with me.  It's far enough in the past to still feel exotic, and otherworldly, yet it's familiar enough that I'll get any references that they decide to play with.

Whoever the woman is, she looks good in that hair!

TheGoldenKneazle

Eddie Redmayne had been my Newt face claim since I became aware of him in "The Pillars of the Earth" so I was amazed when they actually cast him! He'll do an excellent job, I think.

I'm a huge Samantha Morton fan, she'll bring such brilliance to her role. And I'm very excited for Ezra Miller, can't wait to see what he'll bring to the wizarding world! Plus anything with Colin Farrell = awesome. Katherine Waterston is really pretty but I haven't seen her before so I'll be interested to see how she works with the rest of the cast. All of the promo pics so far look absolutely gorgeous - Noirish with enough magical spark to get me super eager for this!

I must say I was disappointed in the lack of PoC casting... considering JKR's shaken it up and tried to expand/diversify the wizarding world by placing the trilogy in Golden Age America, I think it would have benefited from some representation of USA's varied cultural background, if not commenting on the gender/racial struggles of the time  :-\

EDIT: just to say, I am aware of Carmen Ejogo and Gemma Chan's casting but out of 18 or so named parts, there's few PoC.

scooterbug8515

I must say I was disappointed in the lack of PoC casting... considering JKR's shaken it up and tried to expand/diversify the wizarding world by placing the trilogy in Golden Age America, I think it would have benefited from some representation of USA's varied cultural background, if not commenting on the gender/racial struggles of the time  :-\

EDIT: just to say, I am aware of Carmen Ejogo and Gemma Chan's casting but out of 18 or so named parts, there's few PoC.

This 100% this.  That was something I really noticed in the previews.  Still despite this I am hopeful for the movies and maybe there might be more opportunity with the future films as there are three parts. 

I have to say while I like what I am seeing thus far in general, I am excited that there is not much when it comes to characters already developed in our head.  Not many people have taken the time to think what a young Newt looked like before these movies and can go "NO! That is 100% not what I imagined!" Which to me is awesome compared to the disappointment the visuals of certain other characters in the movies of the main HP films.

ForbiddenBeauty

I don't know if this tread was intended for the other movies, but I am assuming that it was, so here goes:

I am excited to see Jude Law as Dumbledore. I think he could bring an interesting perspective to the character that we already know so much about.

Sign in to follow this