News Ticker

Archive Site Guidelines Feedback

abhorsen.

I think this looks great, and the staffers who have been working on this have clearly put a LOT of work into it. My initial questions have been answered, but if any more come to me I'll be sure to post here to ask.

Huge thanks to those involved and I look forward to future announcements. ?

It just dawned on me that there's likely to be a deluge of cross-posted material from HPFF in the days and weeks after the new archive opens. Maybe there would be some benefit to having a different validation process for stories being directly migrated from HPFF? Although there's no way to assure that the correct ratings/warnings are being applied, I suppose. Anyway, I think it's something worth considering.

It just dawned on me that there's likely to be a deluge of cross-posted material from HPFF in the days and weeks after the new archive opens. Maybe there would be some benefit to having a different validation process for stories being directly migrated from HPFF? Although there's no way to assure that the correct ratings/warnings are being applied, I suppose. Anyway, I think it's something worth considering.

We're intentionally not giving special consideration to stories that have been posted on other fanfic sites strictly because our validation rules are new and different.

This looks great, you guys! The content of the rules seems very reasonable, I only have a minor nit pick to point out:

You are not permitted to include direct links in stories or reviews. You are, however, allowed to mention other fanfiction sites and supplementary material (e.g., tumblr or pinterest).

You are not permitted to include direct links in stories or reviews on the archives. You are, however, allowed to mention other fanfiction sites and supplementary material (e.g., tumblr or pinterest), and you may directly link to them on the HPFT forums or in your user bio.

These two rules are the same (I think?), only the second is more clarified. I'm thinking ths was a mistake, and only the second should be left in?

Yes, that's a mistake - I'll edit it. Thank you so much for noticing! <3

Graphics: Authors are permitted to include up to one graphic in their story summaries (no larger than 700px x 150px).

It's great the new banner size is larger. I tried creating it, it was comfortable to set picutres on a canvas. :)

We're intentionally not giving special consideration to stories that have been posted on other fanfic sites strictly because our validation rules are new and different.
New start! So exciting!

Hey I have a question.

Characters, quotes, and plots owned by Disney are not permitted under any circumstances.

Disney now owns Star Wars. Does that mean we can't use any Star Wars references?

For example, in one of my fics I have the line "we even went to see a film called Star Wars all the Muggles were raving about". Is this allowed or not?

Disney now owns Star Wars. Does that mean we can't use any Star Wars references?

For example, in one of my fics I have the line "we even went to see a film called Star Wars all the Muggles were raving about". Is this allowed or not?

A mere reference like that is fine. The rule is intended to prevent actual use of copyrighted material rather than mere mentions.

Cool thanks. I imagine this has implications for a number of other things though (crossovers etc) - Star Wars is so pervasive it can be hard to avoid. Just so long as people realise, that's all. :)

We'll be closing this thread on Sunday night, so if you have any further thoughts, don't forget to chime in by then! :)

So to clarify we can mention a title of Disney movie, but cannot use direct quotes right?

As it currently stands, yes - you will be permitted to mention the movie in passing, but that's the extent of it.

No, we do not have any plans to make purchasing advertising space on the archive an option.

Thanks so much for your input, everyone! It's been incredibly helpful. Please keep an eye out for further feedback threads, and we'll keep you posted on the timeline for our grand opening! :)

While we're still discussing a few of the topics mentioned, I wanted to give an update on the ones we're able to answer.

Funding the site

Currently our annual operating expense is ~$100/year for the hosting service and domain name. I don't anticipate that we'll see an increase in these costs in the near term.

Process for Certified Authors

After realizing that we don't know the software well enough to know how to do this in a streamlined fashion we decided to table this issue until we're closer to launch.

Rejection Appeal Process

Our first pass at a process is:

• If a user is being asked to change their content and not just the rating or advisory and they feel the rules allow for their content as written, they may message the validator who rejected their chapter asking to appeal their decision. Note: this is not the same as just asking for clarification or trying to get out of a black and white rejection (such as needing a profanity advisory).
  • The validator will ask a peer to review the content and rejection for a second opinion.
  • The chapter is accepted as is or still requires edits. Either way the author will get a message back saying who their content was re-reviewed by and why they came to their decision.
  • If the author still feels their content should be accepted as-is, they may escalate their appeal to the archive admin. We expect that the validators' judgement will be upheld in most cases but the admin will explain their decision either way to whichever side is being upheld.