Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!
Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!
Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.
News Ticker
  • See the May Bulletin for archive rule/advisory changes.
  • See our badges forum for more details about our new badges system!
  • The Review Transfer Tool is now ready for use.
  • Announcements

• abhorsen.

May Bulletin   05/01/2018

May's bulletin is up, with all kinds of interesting information (including a tool to mass transfer all reviews you received on HPFF to HPFT's archive). You can check it out +here.
    • toomanycurls

Annual Member Survey   05/09/2018

Please take a moment to fill out the annual member survey before May 31st.  
maraudertimes

Quidditch

maraudertimes

Quidditch has always fascinated me, probably because it's the magical equivalent of football (soccer), which is my favourite [muggle] sport, so why not start a discussion?.

What position would you play?

Who is your favourite player?

My answers would be:

Beater, because in my mind it correlates with the defense in football and that's my favourite position, but Seeker is an easy second.

Definitely Ginny Weasley. She's very aggressive and the fact that she's able to play multiple positions is appealing to me. Also, she kept along that path professionally and I find it great that the only (I might be wrong here?) character who went into a Quidditch field was a female.

PaulaTheProkaryote

Oooh! I love these questions. I think I'd prefer to be a keeper, but a seeker would also be pretty fun as well. I'm pretty independent in games so I think I'd struggle as a chaser or beater.

I love Ginny for all the reasons you listed but my favorite would probably be Oliver only because WOW the boy is passionate. I love people like that and to me it shows real dedication to the sport.

Recent Badges

FireOpal

I'n football (soccer) I've always been best at defense, but I don't think I could handle the pressure of being Keeper, and I'm not good enough a bat-swining to be a Beater. I'd say that I'd play Seeker, except that's even more pressure than Keeper... so I guess that if I had to play Quidditck, I'd prefer to play chaser. I think I'd be rather good at everything Chasers do except actually scoring goals... Hm.

My favourite player is Viktor Krum, because he's so famous and such a spectacular player, but he doesn't let it get to his head, and he's so gracful towards his fans. : )

ImaRavenclaw

My answers are variant, but I think I'd either be a seeker or a beater. There's something so appealing to me about being a beater, and getting any anger you have out is a good plus. The seeker really has to be quick and have patience (two skills that I have).

I'm going to have to go with Paula on this one. Oliver Wood is so passionate about what he does, it really makes you love him. Close seconds are probably Viktor and maybe Angelina or Katie (cause I love me some minor characters).

VaguelyCreativeName

Being the massive nerd that I am, I actually play (muggle) quidditch, and I'm a chaser, mostly because that's the position I tried when I first started, and I've just kind of stuck with it - But I do enjoy cutting my way through the opposing team's players and stealing away some close goals. I also like that, while it's certainly cooperative, you can at times still do your own thing (which is more difficult for beaters, you always have to work with your partner).

My favourite Quidditch-playing character is probably Oliver Wood, simply because he's so wildly passionate, but Harry's unbridled enthusiasm, especially in the first book, when he's finally found something he's good at without trying, is also one of my favourite things.:harry:

• Like 1

HarryGinnyLove88

I loved to be chaser or beater...

Favourite player is Ginny definitely because she can play both chaser and seeker...but fred and george are too very intense players...

starbuck

how old do you think players would be when they retire? for football i think it's around 40 but wizards&witches have much longer life spans so i'd expect they'd be able to play longer?

my favourite player is oliver wood :D

Phoenix Potioneer
On 5/13/2018 at 5:22 PM, starbuck said:

how old do you think players would be when they retire? for football i think it's around 40 but wizards&witches have much longer life spans so i'd expect they'd be able to play longer?

I think it would be roughly the same as it is in the muggle world. According to the Pottermore stuff about the 2014 world cup, Krum was playing seeker at 38 years old, which was apparently considered very old for a seeker.

I also always got the impression that Ludo Bagman was in his 40s in Goblet of Fire, though I don't necessarily have any confirmation or proof of that. During Bagman's trial in 1981 he was considered to be in his prime, and was still playing Quidditch professionally, but by the time Harry met him in GOT, he was already retired and moved up to be Head of a Ministry Department (which would have taken several years).

Just because wizards lived longer does not mean they aged more slowly or differently. Think about it: the Hogwarts students all reached puberty at the same age as muggles, didn't they?

As for all the original questions of this topic... I would probably play keeper, as when I played soccer as a little kid I liked goalie. And my favorite Quidditch player is Cedric Diggory. Who else demands a rematch when they're the ones who won? Or maybe Ron Weasley, since he had to overcome his fear and anxiety in playing keeper. Weasley is our King!

starbuck

@Phoenix Potioneer - i always thought they did age differently than muggles, at least after idk, their twenties? how could they live so much longer and not be as infirm as a muggle would be if they didn't (dumbledore was 115 when he died and he never showed any signs of age, at least as far as i can remember)? i'm trying to piece together the workings of professional quidditch because it plays a major role in the fic i'm supposed to be writing :P  for now i was able to conclude, from information on HP wiki, that the season probably lasted from either january or february (i'm leaning towards february) until october, but nothing about the actual age of retirement :hmm:

Simplicius

I have a love/hate relationship with Quidditch (it's a really fun idea ruined by a rule-set that just doesn't work at all). I would play as a Beater because it seems like the most exciting part of the game.

My favourite player is Regulus Black, even though we've never seen him in action, because it is very easy to picture him as the Harry Potter of his day, as it were - that's how I always interpreted that exchange with Slughorn anyway.