HPFanficTalk
Sign in to follow this  
Veritaserum27

(Cursed Child)The Sorting of Albus Severus Potter

C'mon, this is the question we've all been wondering about ever since Cursed Child was announced.  Feel free to take the poll and also post the reasons for your prediction!

In my mind there's literally no narrative sense in writing the Epilogue as it is and then not sorting Al into Slytherin...

So I know this was all about predicting, and now we actually know the answer, but I still wanted to discuss it :D

He is Slytherin. There was never any doubt. It was fact before the Cursed Child was even announced!

I was lucky enough to see the performance live, and I was sitting on the edge of my seat as Albus was being sorted, and I was actually freaking out that he wouldn't be Slytherin! I was whispering to myself, "Not Gryffindor... Not Gryffindor..."

And, finally, I think Slytherin are getting their comeuppance. They were always branded as such an evil house (and in a children's book, that's okay, because you need bad guys) but as the fandom grew, they really became a group with amazing qualities, even if they were mostly used for bad in the books. The two main characters in this story were Slytherin, and I think that's pretty amazing.

And trust me (since I also saw him in a red uniform), Albus looks way better in green ;)

I'm not sure. I thought that it would be a good parallelism for Albus to be put in any other house by asking the Hat not to put him in Slytherin, however I have read and loved fics where Albus is a Slytherin, so I'm not completely opposed, my headcanon just didn't have him in that House. I think it might just be because he was so opposed to the idea of it in DH, but I can live with him being a Slytherin.

So I can honestly say that I was actually disappointed by Albus' sorting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm kinda glad that he's in

Slytherin

, but ever since reading one particular fic, I don't think I'll ever be happy with any sorting of Albus again. Oldershouldknowbetter just NAILED IT.

I don't know if this is the place to squee about that, in his fic but Albus just gets sorted into ALL THE HOUSES because the sorting hat is sick of splitting people up. Ever since I read that, no single house option seems good enough anymore.

OK, I voted Gryffindor just to be able to see other people's votes (I know this doesn't really count know as we know which house he was sorten into).

Actually I'm surprised most people voted Slytherin, before reading the book I was convinced that he would be a Gryffindor (his parents and gandparents are all Gryffindor...)

Of course people might have anticipated that there would be a twist here, and with Gryffindor being the obvious choice, it must be something else...

Anyway I agree with Bianca, that Slytherin are getting their comeuppance with this sorting :)

I don't recall if I voted or not but I would still of have voted for him to be a Slytherin rather than a Gryffindor or any other Houses. The reason I say that are there were earlier implications in The Deathly Hallows that placed him in that House. His name, the dread that he felt, and so forth but even then, back in my mind, I had a feeling that he wouldn't be a Gryffindor. 

I honestly can't think of Albus not being in Slytherin even before the book came out because it just doesn't seem to be him at all. Something about it would probably bother me in the back of my head because him not being Slytherin candidate when all signs point to him being one and now with his sorting being in Slytherin would just seem like a red herring or something like that. Also from what we know, Albus, also may of have been like his father in many ways being quiet, thoughtful, and kind but he was also different from his father too. One quality that I noticed is that Albus wasn't really adventurous or daring enough to go wander about Hogwarts as he was mainly self centered or rather was quite reserved. He was only willing to converse Scorpius at their times in Hogwarts but otherwise, he didn't seem to do much until he was driven or compelled to do so later and when he does, it was definitely when we see his motives was in contrast to that of his father's since he didn't want to be shadowed by his father's heroism and saw his chance at going against it should be a huge indicator as to how he was different from his father as well.

But yeah, to me, he's a Slytherin all the way if I had to vote as the signs do point to him being one.

So I've read the book of the Cursed Child and I went to see the play in January this year, and I have to say that I don't consider Cursed Child to be canon.  I know it is, technically, but I have so much head canon for the Next Generation that I can't just forget about all of it because the play came out.

Having said that, I can really get behind Albus being in Slytherin in the Cursed Child.  It's not my head canon for him, but when I'm reading fic I can happily read him as any house as long as it's justified and we see some of those traits or values in the character. 

I had an inkling before the Cursed Child was released that Albus would be sorted into Slytherin in the play, just because it seemed to tie in with the idea of him being "cursed" (although who the Cursed Child actually is could still be up for debate).  In the play I can believe him as a Slytherin because he seems ambitious, in some ways, and wants to prove himself, and he's also pretty cunning in some respects.  But I agree with Bianca, that in the Cursed Child we see Slytherin house's reputation being restored, because there are two brilliant characters in the play from Slytherin and we see what they value and what they do as very distinct than how it was portrayed in the books.  But the Cursed Child - particularly performed on stage - makes it pretty convincing to see Albus Severus Potter as a Slytherin :)

I love Albus having been sorted as a Slytherin, as most people have said it really helped to show that Slytherin isn't just for bad guys! I think it's nice to show that you can be a ‘good’ guy like Albus, and still wear the green uniform. Because good and evil aren’t that black and white, most people are elements of both and I think Cursed Child shows that really well, especially in Albus and Scorpius.

I also had an inkling after reading the nineteen years later part in Deathly Hallows that he would be sorted into Slytherin, but it's justified so it makes sense to me. I think as the Wesley's get married and have children, they won't just automatically all be put into Gryffindor. There must be other traits that they value beside bravery and other typical Gryffindor ones.

I also wish we knew what houses the other next Generation kids were sorted into because Albus still seems so against being a Slytherin at first, but it made me wonder weather it was against being a Slytherin or against being in another house beside Gryffindor like the rest of his family.

Sign in to follow this  

UA-79258518-1