News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

Guest pookha

We usually validate within a day, but it can take up to a week (hasn't yet, but it could). This weekend was busy, so there may have been some stories that went to 3 days.

• 1 month later...

I feel like this is probably a silly question, but can we have reasons for ratings written in our story summaries? Like, I'd like to put "Rated M for profanity" in my summary as a way of explaining why it's at a higher rating on hpft than it is on ao3, but I want to make sure that's allowed before I just do it. thanks :)

Of course! :)

I'm probably after missing something here, and if so, I'm sorry, but I'm just wondering about the rules for songfics. Is there a limit on how much of the song can be quoted in a chapter?

Guest pookha

I don't believe we've codified this. As long as the song is properly credited in your author's note (or chapter notes) and is no more than 1/3 of the story, I believe it is fine. I will ask this in the staff chat just to double-check with abhorsen.

Edit:

Here is the actual relevant rule from the archive.

While authors are allowed to quote and paraphrase non-original material, that material must be clearly cited in your author’s note, and at least 90% of the content in any given chapter must be original material

abhorsen. let me know where I was missing it in the rules. So the correct answer is no more than 10% of the story may be your quoted material.

Thanks a million. I did see that but just wanted to be sure there weren't any further restrictions I was missing.

I was wondering if there's an Auror around i could PM about a sexual content scene? I'm not sure if it needs a rating or not and I'd like to be sure :/

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I have a curious problem that I was hoping someone could help me with.

I was beginning to add my new story to the queue, but when I clicked 'Preview' it showed that the story was part of a series by a different author- which has nothing to do with me. There was no option to remove this, so I didn't put the story into the queue.

Shall I put it into the queue anyway? I was planning on making my own stories into a series anyway as one is the sequel to another.

Guest pookha

This is a known issue. It should clear when in the queue, but if it doesn't, we can edit that part when we validate it.

I have a question about the "two new chapters at a time" rule: is there any way to make an exception to it? Here is my problem: I'm currently working on a short story that has three chapters and I would like to have them up all at once (so that if anybody reads it, they can read it until the end).

The whole story is not longer than an average one-shot (4000 words total with 1000-1500 words/chapter), but I would prefer to publish it chaptered.

I hate to be asking for exceptional treatment, but I was hoping that it would be OK like if I didn't submit anything for some time, but them submit three chapters (and let's say additionally check when the total number of chapters waiting to be validated are low).

Or I was wondering if there was a way to submit the first two chapters for validation, but keep it hidden until the third is validated as well. Is that what the 'Hide' option at the "Manage Stories" page does? That would be perfect and solve the problem! (So that a story is hidden for readers, but visible for validators.)

Or any other solution, really :)

We'd prefer not to open the door to exceptions - but for the first five days of a month, you can submit five chapters at a time, so if you wait until tomorrow, you can submit all three. :)

oh, that's wonderul, thank you! I completely forgot the first five day rule :)

btw would the hide option work as I guessed? that validators see hidden chapters...?

Yes, it would. :)

I have a question about the forced marriage rule.  I read the rules and understand that any depiction of a force marriage must be rated M and have the warning of Domestic Abuse.  I'm wondering about a force courtship, however.  In my fic I have a prince who is given the choice to court and marry a princess or have their kingdoms go to war.  He's given a date by which he must marry her.  To buy time, he agrees and starts to court her.  (It's all very old-fashioned and very chaste.  There isn't even any kissing.)  He's gentle and doesn't try to hurt her in any way.  Other things happen in the story, however, and they don't end up having to go through with the marriage.  Because the marriage actually never happens, I'm wondering if I still need the Forced Marriage and Domestic Abuse warnings?

Thanks a ton!

Farmgirl

Yes - even if they don't ultimately go through with it, it's still a forced engagement. (Next edit of the rules, I'll clarify that forced engagements are also included in that.)

The DA advisory is there because we feel very strongly that it's abusive to force someone to get married to someone they don't want to marry, and it by definition is happening in a family setting. In this case, it's got nothing to do with the prince's behavior - it's about his parents.

Edit: This isn't directly applicable here, because the coercion makes it forced rather than arranged, but I also want to mention that all arranged marriages require an M rating - arranged-but-not-forced doesn't require a forced marriage/domestic abuse advisories, but it does still need to be rated M.

No worries! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if I am allowed to choose a House after being a Muggle for several months. Until now I didn't feel like participating in House Cup activities, but now I would like to take part in the Final Exam, if that's possible.

I've been told by MegGonagall in a pm back in March that I would be allowed to do this

don't worry about rushing to choose one, you can join a house whenever you'd like
, but now when I switched in my profile from Muggle to Gryffindor it didn't change in the forum, and I still can't access the Final Exam.

Thank you!

Membergroups must be assigned by a staff member.  The option you can change on your profile exists to indicate your choice to staff and to display the house banner beneath your avatar.  You do have to make a request to switch member groups.

I will PM you about this.