News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

Hi!

I have a question about the validation process. I may have made a silly mistake! The first chapter of my story got validated today and I noticed that in the chapter notes the text font size was off... so I went in and deleted some of that text. Now the chapter has disappeared but the story is still up in recent. So I guess my question is, is it just going through the validation process again or did something wonky happen when I tried to edit the chapter notes?

I just want to make sure it's not lost in a void.

Thank you! 

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. :wub:

:couch: This is a thing I plan to fix. When a chapter goes back into the queue for editing, the chapter is not considered published. What I plan to do is keep a published and draft version of chapters so that if you edit a chapter your previously validated version stays published and what you put in the queue is the draft version. Once the new version is validated both the draft and published changes would be the same. 

As to why the story is still showing up in the recently updated -- that bit of code doesn't check that the recently published chapter is still published. The software wasn't designed with the idea of edits going through validation (which doesn't make sense, why would people do validation for the first version of a chapter but not subsequent edits). As the edit validation process is something that was added by people who didn't write the original software and have been pecking at it to make sure nothing is outright broken, some issues like this come up. :/ The good thing is, edits are something we jump on very fast in the queue so that stories don't stay in a weird state for that long. 

edit: and by "people who didn't write the software are pecking at it" I mean my husband and I xD I didn't meant to be so coy about that. 

Ah! That makes sense, thanks for clarifying that with me. It's good to know it won't be in there for too long. :twothumbsup:

Also, thank you for getting back to me so fast and for all your hard work!! :loveshower:

I hate bothering people but I'm asking anyway,. No there is no chapter limit.  I'm submitting for a challenge that is due oh ... tomorrow?  I have three chapters do I submit all three and wait for individual accept or reject letters or do I just wait for the first one.  Sorry if this is a stupid question. 

Most challenges will accept entries that are in the queue before the deadline. 

8 hours ago, LunaStellaCat said:

I hate bothering people but I'm asking anyway,. No there is no chapter limit.  I'm submitting for a challenge that is due oh ... tomorrow?  I have three chapters do I submit all three and wait for individual accept or reject letters or do I just wait for the first one.  Sorry if this is a stupid question. 

And you can submit all three chapters at once! We'll validate them as we get to them, so you'll see them appear as validated or rejected in order (1 then 2 then 3). Does that help also?

Is there any sort of warning that’s supposed to be used for a mention of miscarriage? I know that tends to be a sensitive subject for some people, so I wasn’t sure if there was any sort of warning that needs to be associated with it.

No, there isn't one. I have seen people put a t/w in the summary or chapter in question though, so they can skip it should they want to!

• Like 1

I want to post my drabbles here, but your drabbles are listed as 100 - 200 words. Mine are just over over 500 words. Should these be listed as one-shots?

Hello! So in the site guidelines it says you can have two graphics in a chapter as long as they're 400x300, and I was wondering -- can they appear anywhere in the body of the chapter? e.g., if I wanted to include a newspaper article, and I made a masthead that was less than 400x300?

@facingthenorthwind - Yep, that's correct! (If you want to make a newspaper article the size of what we currently reserve for picspams (500x750), that's okay, too - we'll be changing that rule in the near future. :D

• Thanks 1

Hey, guys! I have a question about the new archive advisories for one of my stories ^_^

I've read the tutorials for each, so I'm under the impression that the 'hate speech' tag I have can be changed to a derogatory language advisory and the sexual assault in it can be changed to mild consent issues and dropped down to a T rating, but I was wondering if someone wanted to do a read through to double check for me? I can post a link here or DM someone. Thanks! 

Hi! I had a question regarding the queue and edits - I submitted edits to a couple of chapters about a month and a half ago, and as far as I know they were never validated, but I didn't get a rejection notice or a validation notice. The edits appear to be there, but the 'updated' date still says January, so I don't know if the edits actually went through. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you <3

I'll need to poke the code a little bit to check but I imagine it's due to the fact that having edits go through the queue is something I added to our code and I might need to tweak it to make sure edits are getting a recent updated date when they are validated. Your chapters aren't in the queue so I assume they have been validated because they aren't in the queue. Do the HPFT emails sometimes go to spam? 

3 minutes ago, toomanycurls said:

I'll need to poke the code a little bit to check but I imagine it's due to the fact that having edits go through the queue is something I added to our code and I might need to tweak it to make sure edits are getting a recent updated date when they are validated. Your chapters aren't in the queue so I assume they have been validated because they aren't in the queue. Do the HPFT emails sometimes go to spam? 

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I've never had the HPFT emails go to spam before and I don't see any in the spam folder, so I don't think that's what happened.

Weird.. validation literally happens in the popup box that comes up to send a message to people. It's always possible that something didn't work when they were validated (on the email system or something). Can you send me the link to the story this happened on? 

18 minutes ago, toomanycurls said:

Weird.. validation literally happens in the popup box that comes up to send a message to people. It's always possible that something didn't work when they were validated (on the email system or something). Can you send me the link to the story this happened on? 

Sure. There were two (possibly three?) chapters I edited and didn't get a notice about any of them. The link to the story is here (m)

Thanks!

Hiya!

Probably a very obvious question but...is Star Wars fic allowed on the archive? I know Star Wars belongs to Disney and all that, but so does the MCU, and I think a validator told me that MCU fic is allowed on the archive. So not sure whether anything to do with Disney is not allowed, or only the direct Disney movies, e.g. Jungle Book, Beauty & the Beast etc.

Also, if you have a list of disallowed fandoms on the archives, please could you direct me to this.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by teh tarik

Any Disney owned fandoms aren't allowed. You can reference Star Wars/Disney fandoms as a cultural reference (such as someone saying "I am your father") 

Disney is the only area we don't allow. 

Hello! 

I know that M rated profanities are not allowed in titles and summaries, but what are the rules around having censored words in them? Like, having dashes or asterisks to replace letters in the words? I can PM a validator the specific example if that makes it easier.

• Like 1

That's not really in the spirit of the rule. If you wanted to do what the eff instead or a similar remaining of a M swear word then that'd be okay but having What the f*ck is not. 

Hello! I submitted a second chapter of song for the julian calendar and I can't find a rejection notice for it in my emails? I submitted it two weeks ago, but obviously if I'm just being impatient and it's sitting there all in good time then feel free to tell me off. 

It has been rejected on the 27th. I'll send you a PM with the details!