News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

2 minutes ago, Ineke said:

I wouldnt make a mention of that, as that is, imo, not in line with rules 

okay, thanks for the quick reply!

• Like 1

I have no idea if this is the right spot to ask this, if not, can someone please direct me to the appropriate thread?

I've just realised (and I have no idea when I've done it), that I've included a story to the 2019 Collab series that shouldn't be there. Is there any way to have 'Eyes Like Steel' by Finefrenzy__ removed? Only 'The Same Day' should be in the collab series on the archives. I wasn't sure of how to do it myself. TIA x

Not sure if this is the exact right place to put this, but I thought I’d give you all a heads up. 

Originally when I submitted my songfic ‘how long?’ I’d failed to differentiate between the lyrics of the song that I was quoting from and a bit of lyrics that I’d written myself. I’ve now put my own original lyrics in quotes and resubmitted, making sure that the stuff that’s not mine makes up less than ten percent of the chapter. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

I'm confused by the ownership of Guardians of the Galaxy - I know stuff owned by Disney is not allowed on the archives. Guardians of the Galaxy has apparently been distributed by Disney, but produced by Marvel. On this quora question I found the following statement:

"Disney distributes Marvel movies (whose movie rights Marvel still retains) because it owns Marvel."

Since everything seems to be really tangled up I wanted to double check: Can I upload a Guardians of the Galaxy fanfic on the archives?

Copyright issues still apply in this situation. Because Marvel, like other Disney-owned properties such as ABC, ESPN, etc., still operates under its original branding it can definitely be confusing, but Disney absolutely owns the characters (and other IP). Fan-fiction and infringement is very complex topic, but I'm just going to leave it there.

Just for future reference to anyone wandering into the thread, any questions about copyright, trademark, etc. should be directed to me via PM. I'm the guy that always answers them anyway. ? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for clarifying, Kevin!

I'm here with yet another question - I'm so sorry! I was wondering, are there taboo words in A rated material? Like, can I say "sex" if it's just the word and no description or narration or anything? Like for example:

"Sex!", three year old Hugo Weasley is shouting at the top of his lungs. He learned a new word from his older cousins and, as children do, he knows it's one of the words his embarassed parents would rather he not be shouting in Diagon Alley.

Would that be rated A or would it be T for sexual content or M for sexual content below the waist????

Hello, Validators,

I have just put a new story into the queue, entitled Renewal.  I rated it as All Audiences.  It is about the Hogwarts teachers planning how to make the 1998-1999 school year better for the students and to help the community heal after the Second Wizarding War.  I think that it really is okay for all audiences, but I put advisories of dying/grieving and violence on it because there is mention of the damage to the school during the war (the story is set in August of 1998) and the necessary healing process after the losses of the war.

Could you look at it and advise me about whether any of these advisories or the rating should be changed?

Thanks,

Vicki

I'll shoot you a pm!

Hello, Validators.

I just posted a story, The Hogwarts Storm, to the queue.  It is about a real hurricane that went through Scotland fifty-one years ago and its effects on Hogwarts.  I left the rating as All Audiences because nobody gets hurt; there is damage only to structures and vegetation, although the storm was alarming to some of the people who experienced it.  

I presume that that rating is appropriate.  Please let me know if it is not .  I would rather not fall into the habit of over-rating everything just to be on the safe side.

Thanks.

Vicki

I'm  not sure, but I think my most recent chapter is rejected (based on the oldest in the queue timestamp) but I didn't get an email. I even checked my spam! If it was rejected, could someone resend the email or pm me? Then I can get it fixed up. Thanks!

I just posted Chapter 1 of Beloved Son to the queue.  It involves people visiting the graves of offspring who died in the wizarding wars and includes a dying/grieving theme.  I left it at an All Audiences rating.  Is that okay?

Vicki

For the idea of is okay but i had to reject it for a certain part of the story. Let me know if you didnt get the email!

Hi Validators,

I may have screwed up.  A reader informed me that the font size on the chapters of my story Only One was too small, thus making it harder to read, and since people may be reading it as part of the voting process for FROGS, I tried to make the font bigger, starting with Chapter 1, but only managed to make the block of text shrink in width (without the font's getting any bigger), and now the chapter has disappeared from the story in the archives.  Maybe it's in the queue again.  (I had believed that if a posted chapter is edited, the old version doesn't disappear from the archives until the emended version is ready to post, but maybe I was wrong about that.)

Could you get Chapter 1 of Only One back into the archive, even if it must be in it's tiny-font narrow-width configuration, just so that voters can read it?  I will try to be more careful in the future.  I'm still figuring some of this stuff out.:S

Thanks.

Vicki

All done! And you're right - when you edit a chapter it goes straight back into the queue and it won't show till it's validated again. This is often why we let edits go first in validation process!

Hello validator lovelies, I have a favour to ask and it isn't even about a rejection this time!

+this fic should have @poppunkpadfoot as a co-author but every time I try to add Kayla it glitches out and won't let me do it. :( Could you possibly do it for me? I can't believe I forgot to do it when I initially submitted it, I did it on ao3. AH WELL. 

?for whoever does this, thanks!!

• Like 1

All done! At least, it appears to be fixed on my end--let me know if it's still giving you issues. :)

• Thanks 2

what are the rules about cohosting challenges? are there special circumstances for cohosting or is it just a regular thing that can be done?

1 hour ago, starbuck said:

what are the rules about cohosting challenges? are there special circumstances for cohosting or is it just a regular thing that can be done?

It's a regular thing that can be done. :)

• Thanks 1

hello validators! the second chapter of All the Waves Resounded made it through the queue a few hours ago, but there was a strange issue where one of the symbols showed up as  - i think i've fixed it and am happy to let it go through the queue again, but can one of you take a quick look at it to make sure i've got it working? thanks so much :wub:

Hi! I was the one that validated it and sent the message about it (assuming you got the message), but it looks like it was fixed this go around and it's up. 

• Like 1

The lovely juls found one last error in my story Alone Under The Moon and it was fixed and tossed back into the queue sorry to the validating crew you put up with a lot from me ❤️?

• Like 1

@Lacey Black - We're happy to help, no worries! ❤️

• Like 1