Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Good luck to all the NaNoWriMo participants! Don't forget to stop by the Cafe.
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
abhorsen.

Ask a Validator

poppunkpadfoot

Yeah, I thought so, but better safe than sorry. I wasn't sure from reading the rules. Thanks Rose! xD

starbuck
Posted (edited)

am i able to see if a chapter was rejected on my account on the archive? i've checked my email (and the spam folder) and there's nothing there from HPFT so i was just wondering if the chapter was rejected or i'm being impatient (if it's the impatient thing - sorry!) ? :ninja:

Edited by starbuck

Alopex
35 minutes ago, starbuck said:

am i able to see if a chapter was rejected on my account on the archive? i've checked my email (and the spam folder) and there's nothing there from HPFT so i was just wondering if the chapter was rejected or i'm being impatient (if it's the impatient thing - sorry!) ? :ninja:

I don't validate (really never have wanted to :P ) so I am not an archive expert. Buuuuuuut I can see the queue and member history on the archive and such, and it looks to me like your chapter is still in the queue, and you have no rejections. I do not 100% understand how to read the validators' hold list that they have posted here to communicate with each other, but if I am reading what's on it correctly, it looks like approximately 20 non-hold chapters ahead of yours in the queue. :hmm:

I apologize for the wait. I see it's been about a week, so hopefully it won't be too much longer. :(

• Thanks 1

Recent Badges

starbuck

@Alopex - okay, thanks! it seems i'm just impatient :P  no worries, i just thought the email might've gotten lost somewhere or something (or i accidentally deleted it) :$

beyond the rain

Hello! 

In a fic that I'm writing I want to quote a radio transcript (specifically Neville Chamberlain's declaration of war). I don't know if the rule is different to that of using song lyrics in fics - but I just wanted to clarify, how much of that speech would I be able to use? 

Recent Badges

Unwritten Curse
1 hour ago, beyond the rain said:

Hello! 

In a fic that I'm writing I want to quote a radio transcript (specifically Neville Chamberlain's declaration of war). I don't know if the rule is different to that of using song lyrics in fics - but I just wanted to clarify, how much of that speech would I be able to use? 

The rule for radio transcripts is, in fact, the same as for using song lyrics. Any quoted material cannot exceed 10% of the total content of any single chapter or story posted.

• Like 1

starbuck

a question about the consent advisory - if a scene involves a guy trying to kiss a girl and she turns her head so he gets her cheek instead of lips, but she's not actually opposed to the act though maybe not at that time. and obviously there are no threats involved or anything like that and she doesn't feel threatened or uncomfortable - does it require the mild/moderate consent issues advisory? i can send the excerpt to a validator if it'd be easier to answer my question :)

abhorsen.

That's fine without an advisory. ^_^

• Thanks 1

The Heir of Slytherin

I have a question (or two) about song lyrics. I couldn’t find the answer in the site guidelines. 

So, I’ve been using a couple of the lines of a song at the top of each chapter, with the song and artist/band included (I’ll put an example at the bottom). They’re kind of the mood of the chapter or character; not necessary and easily taken out. But I’m wondering what the rule is on them and if I have to or if HPFT wants to see them credited and the best way to do that.

Also, if song lyrics are allowed, what are not allowed specifically? I know Disney is out, but I have a few songs from musicals in general (Moulin Rouge, Hairspray, etc). 

EXAMPLE:

Let’s go all the way tonight, no regrets, just love

We can dance until we die, you and I, we’ll be young forever

Teenage Dream, Katy Perry

Thank you!

Sam.

Ineke

Oh my god I'm so sorry I thought I'd already answered this!

Song lyrics are absolutely okay to use - with the exception of anything owned by Disney (so that goes for musicals owned by Disney too), so long as it's credited and as long as at least 90% of the chapter is original material (i.e. stuff you wrote yourself). So the example above would be perfectly fine!

adorably cute
Posted (edited)

Could I borrow a validator to ask about if an additional advisory would need to be added based off something in an upcoming chapter? I have a specific passage of text that I'm actually curious about.

Edited by adorably cute

Renacerá
1 hour ago, adorably cute said:

Could I borrow a validator to ask about if an additional advisory would need to be added based off something in an upcoming chapter? I have a specific passage of text that I'm actually curious about.

I'm around!

BlackPixie

Even though I've posted a lot of chappies by now, it's been a while and - (1) does the submitted chapter show up in your manage stories list before it is validated? I swear it used to (and come up with 'No' under the validated column), but correct me if I'm wrong because - (2) could someone please check if my chapter (Angel of Death/Mercy I think it's called) made it into the queue last Monday, please! I haven't gotten any notices about validated/rejected, I was posting from a bad hotspot connection & its not showing up in the aforementioned list.

Thank you!!! Virtual cookies for all!

Renacerá
5 hours ago, BlackPixie said:

Even though I've posted a lot of chappies by now, it's been a while and - (1) does the submitted chapter show up in your manage stories list before it is validated? I swear it used to (and come up with 'No' under the validated column), but correct me if I'm wrong because - (2) could someone please check if my chapter (Angel of Death/Mercy I think it's called) made it into the queue last Monday, please! I haven't gotten any notices about validated/rejected, I was posting from a bad hotspot connection & its not showing up in the aforementioned list.

Thank you!!! Virtual cookies for all!

1. Yes, it should show up in that list!

2. I don't see that particular chapter in the queue! (I hate bad connection...)

BlackPixie
18 hours ago, Renacerá said:

1. Yes, it should show up in that list!

2. I don't see that particular chapter in the queue! (I hate bad connection...)

Thank you!

Alexis Black

Hey, I'm not sure if it's just me but when I go to edit a chapter, I'm finding a bunch of � where there should be hyphens, ellipses, single quotation marks and double quotation marks. I'm on a Mac and using Safari.

Ineke

Okay so I asked around because I didn't know the answer and it turns out that your text has to be in plain text to prevent that from happening. Apparently, this problem does not always show when you first post it, but shows up when you edit it, like in your case. If it isn't possible to get the document in plain text by pasting it again with eh... the mac equivalent to ctrl+shift+v (is that command+shift+v?), then try changing the punctiation you have problems with to the html code (link thanks to @Alopex).

I hope this helps!

Alexis Black

Thank you much! I suspected it might have to do with the fact that I always save my stories to Word for Mac. I'll make sure to make use of TextEdit (the Mac equivalent to Notepad).

Alopex
2 minutes ago, Alexis Black said:

Thank you much! I suspected it might have to do with the fact that I always save my stories to Word for Mac. I'll make sure to make use of TextEdit (the Mac equivalent to Notepad).

Word is a bad offender for punctuation being "fancy" instead of plain. Pasting it through Notepad or another plain text editor will fix a lot of that—but not everything. I personally have had the most trouble with quotation marks/apostrophes and hyphens/dashes. Changing the punctuation to write out " and — and so forth (look up whatever you might need) helped me.

The archive software doesn't use utf-8, which is the reason for the super frustrating character weirdness. I am wondering about the feasibility of converting it. Another topic for us to research...

Recent Badges

MalfoysAngel

I was wondering how much of a foreign language we are allowed to include in a chapter? 

I want to include a brief conversation in French between Fluer and Victorie and will include the translation at the bottom of the chapter, I just was wanting to make sure I don't overdo it. 

Ineke

Oh my god I am so sorry I thought I'd responded already but apparently I did not.

Just a question - how brief is brief? Because a few sentences are okay, but it shouldn't be much in comparision to the entire chapter. You can PM me it if you'd rather have that!

Alwynse

Do we have to say at the beginning of a story, "Everything is owned by JKR/all rights to JKR," or something like that? I haven't been, but I don't want to do anything illegal...

Also, why no Disney? Just curious. 

Recent Badges

toomanycurls
10 minutes ago, javu said:

Do we have to say at the beginning of a story, "Everything is owned by JKR/all rights to JKR," or something like that? I haven't been, but I don't want to do anything illegal...

Also, why no Disney? Just curious. 

You don't have to write a jkr owns HP notice. Our site tos covers that jkr owns HP. 

The Disney rule is because they tend to go after fanfic for copyright and include the hosting site as culpable for the copyright infringement. There's an argument that fanfic is fair use but no one has the money or lawyers to take that to court. 

• Like 2

Alwynse
1 minute ago, toomanycurls said:

You don't have to write a jkr owns HP notice. Our site tos covers that jkr owns HP. 

The Disney rule is because they tend to go after fanfic for copyright and include the hosting site as culpable for the copyright infringement. There's an argument that fanfic is fair use but no one has the money or lawyers to take that to court. 

Okay, thank you.

And for the record, I get the whole copyright thing, I just was curious as to why Disney in particular. 

Recent Badges

MalfoysAngel

I couldn't find it in the site guidelines so I thought I'd ask here. 

What are the rules about using deceased Historical figures in stories?  (Specifically Reverend Putnam and Abigail Williams from the Salem Witch Trials) they are just mentioned by name a few times (think 3-5 each) and can easily be changed if need be. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.