Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the Prefect Blog for the results of the Springtime Writing Event!
  • Stop by the Wizarding Universiade sub-forum to mini-game your House to HC victory!
  • The Crazies' Café is open for JulNo!
FireOpal

Epistolary

FireOpal

Who doesn't love a good epistolary story? Post your favourites here!

---

Title: Could You Be A Little Less

Author: brighidg

Link(s): AO3

Length / Completed: Completed at 1312 words

Pairing(s): Background Canon pairings

Genre(s): Epistolary

Summary: You can tell a lot about a society by what it values.

Reasons for recommending: So, this is not exactly a story, more a look at sexism in the wizarding world through the lens of Rita Skeeter’s writing in her ‘Odds & Ends’ column in… hm, Witch Weekly, maybe? Or The Daily Prophet? Anyway, it’s a very cleverly constructed little thing, and super uncomfortable to read and recognise all the tropes used to bring women down. It has really stuck with me. (Also, I must mention how much I love the idea of the implied Pansy Parkinson/Zacharias Smith pairing, haha!)

--

Title: This Is an Essay

Author: Dee_Laundry

Length / Completed: Completed at 2542 words

Pairing(s): None

Genre(s): Epistolary, Character Study

Summary: Margaret would rather write the same thing a hundred times.

Reasons for recommending: I first found this story when I had only just began to wonder if I might be Autistic, and I fell in love with Margaret so hard. The line between honest representation and accidentally falling into stereotypes can be a thin one at times, but I think this story manages it well overall. At least I find Margaret a very believable character, and I can’t help to wonder what she’ll go on to do in life.

The story is some sort of remix or follow up of a story that is password protected, and there are a lot of little things that probably are in reference to that story. However, I don’t think the story suffers from the reader not knowing these things – that way you can fill in the details (like who Margaret’s parents might) be yourself.

--

Title: Raven’s Honour

Author: kelly_chambliss

Length / Completed: Completed at 10630 words

Pairing(s): Background Rolanda Hooch/Wilhelmina Grubbly-Plank (and possibly also Minerva McGonagall/Pomona Sprout)

Genre(s): AU, Historical Fiction, Pastiche

Summary: In the 1920s, three close friends open a school for girls in the Scottish Highlands. Non-magical AU. Featuring Minerva McGonagall, Pomona Sprout, Rolanda Hooch, and a Harry Potter cast of thousands.

Reasons for recommending: Up there in the top three of the best Harry Potter fics I’ve ever read. I could rave for ages about the language and the characterisation and everything else! The author mostly writes stuff I couldn’t link to here, but that hardly matters because this is her best work, in my opinion. It’s the perfect AU; you’ll find yourself cheering and nodding along when your favourite characters show up, and there are so many little nods to Canon to brighten your reading experience. The characters are so very clearly themselves while also being formed by these very different circumstances, and the narration is just absolutely perfect. It’s a joy to read (and re-read, and re-read)!

--

Title: Thirty-Five Owls

Author: Letterblade

Link(s): Letterblade | AO3 (Mature)

Length / Completed: Completed at 11284 words

Additional Pairing(s): N/A

Genre(s): Romance, Angst, LGBTQA, Epistolary

Summary: Being a correspondence between Albus P.W.B. Dumbledore, Grand Sorcerer, Supreme Mugwump, etc., and the prisoner Gellert Grindelwald, of some decades in length.

Reasons for recommending: This. Fic. Ruined. Me. I’ve shipped Albus/Gellert since I first read Deathly Hallows, but it wasn’t until I read this fic a few months later that the full tragedy of the two of them hit me with its full, devastating, force. Letterblade’s Gellert is perfect in his sulky drama and desperate yearning for contact, and the dynamic between him and Albus is just perfect. And the ending is pure, exquisite, pain.

BellaLestrange87

Title: Who Set the Jobberknolls Free?

Author: teh tarik

Link(s): HPFF Ao3 FF.net (all Mature)

Length / Completed: 12,544 words / yes

Pairing(s): James/Lily, Sirius/Lily

Genre(s): General, Humour, Angst

Summary: Sirius is running about on Order business, hexing Death Eaters and such. Lily, on the hand, is busy not getting any sleep and singing Christmas carols at the wrong time of the year.

A series of letters between Sirius Black and Lily Potter, dated between the period of September 1980 and October 1981.

sinnersandsapphics

Does this count as epistolary? I'm going with it.

Title: Thirty-Five Owls

Author: Beeezie

Link(s): HPFT

Length / Completed: Completed/3chapters/357 words

Pairing(s): N/A

Genre(s): Humor

Summary: The enclosed in an incomplete log of detention slips between the years of 2012 and 2024, as cataloged by the professors at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Reasons for recommending: This is a super fun story, both in style and content. It tracks the friendship (and sometimes lack thereof) between Fred and Victoire, which is a combination we don't see often, and makes for great antics.

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Like 1

crowsb4bros

Title: Ambiguous Loss

Author: esmeraude

Link(s): HPFT

Length / Completed: 2967 words so far/ not yet

Pairing(s): Remus Lupin/Sirius Black (HP), Sirius Black/OC 

Genre(s): Angst, Hurt/Comfort

Summary: 

There has been a death, but there is no body.

A collection of unsent letters, addressed to Sirius Black,

and dedicated to a certain prokaryote.

Reasons for recommending: Okay so by now you all know that Isobel is spectacular at writing all of those characters we love to hate in a sympathetic light (seriously if you haven't read her fic The Skull Beneath the Skin I don't even know what you're doing with your life), but this is one of those (and a companion to The Skull Beneath the Skin) and you're going to find so much dimension and heart break and amazingly complex characters and then you're going to come back and write me a thank you card for telling you to go read it. If you don't cry by the end of Orion talking about Sirius, you're lying. AH! It's so good.

Edited by grumpy cat

clevernotbrilliant

The Anonymous Gift Enthusiast o.O would like to recommend this story, and is very insulted that they weren't included in the competition in the first place.

Title: Dear Emmeline

Author: Felpata Lupin

Link(s): HPFT (AA)

Length / Completed: Completed at 901 words

Pairing(s): None

Genre(s): Epistolary

Summary: 

A year and something after her death, Severus writes Emmeline a letter.

Reasons for recommending: As a companion piece to Seven Years Later and In Between, any fan of these can't miss this. And even if you're not a fan, Chiara will move you through this letter from Severus. Bring tissues.

sibilant

think this counts as epistolary!

Title: ministry memorandums (from the mysteries)

Author: @esmeraude

Link(s): HPFT (M)

Length / Completed: 7477 words / Completed 

Pairing(s): None

Genre(s): Drama, Humor

Summary: 

An incomplete collection of letters and Ministry memorandums sent to and from the Office of Unspeakable Relations on October 5th, 1998.

[or] In which bureaucracy goes very, very wrong.

Reason for Recommending: THIS FIC IS HILARIOUS. What amazes me most about it is how well Isobel develops the characters, even just through their memos; she maximizes on the different styles of writing and passive-aggressive gifting to reflect each character’s personality, which just shows her skill and creativity. This is such a delightful fic! 

grumpy cat

title: notes from the ravenclaw bulletin board
author: @Lost_Robin
link(s): here+
length / completed: 11 chapters, completed
pairing(s): none
genre(s): general
summary:

In September of 1995, Professor Flitwick reinstates the Ravenclaw House Common Room Bulletin Board.

This may have been a mistake on his part.

reason for recommending: i may be slightly obsessed with this fic? :kris: it only consists of notes left on the bulletin board and yet it manages to tell an entire story, detailing some of the happenings during harry's fifth year, but of course, from a ravenclaw standpoint. but this is not a simple retelling, or even an attempt at it, because you get involved with the characters leaving the notes, there's an entire plot revolving around ravenclaws and their shenanigans and how they deal with umbridge. and also it's a perfect snapshot of ravenclaw culture and how life could be living in the tower. lots of study sessions and traditional debates and such *_* i don't think i've ever read a fic that dealt so well with depicting an entire house. it's also funny as hell and you'll definitely laugh while reading it. especially when you read about toadopolis. because i can't rec it without mentioning toadopolis, it's one of my favourite things :P  

• Like 1

RonsGirlFriday

Title: The Inspector Teague Letters: The Church Lane Murder

Author: @northbound24

Link(s): Here [M]

Length / Completed: 11 chapters/ No

Character(s): OC, Dolores Umbridge

Pairing(s): None

Genre(s): Crime/Mystery

Summary: A murder inquiry told through letters and other documents.

Reasons for recommending: Entertaining and engaging, it begins with two murders: first, the murder of a local vicar, being investigated by a Muggle police officer/detective who is also a wizard; and second, the absolute verbal decimation of Dolores Umbridge by Inspector Teague in his first letter to her.