News Ticker

Ask a Staffer

WriteYourHeartOut

Hi, 

I'm not sure if my latest chapter is still pending review or if it got rejected, since I didn't get an email (I checked my spam too!) If it's still pending, no worries, but if it is rejected, could someone pm me so I can get it fixed up? Many thanks!

4 minutes ago, Mottsnave said:

Hi, 

I'm not sure if my latest chapter is still pending review or if it got rejected, since I didn't get an email (I checked my spam too!) If it's still pending, no worries, but if it is rejected, could someone pm me so I can get it fixed up? Many thanks!

It’s still pending in the queue! I’ll go and review it for you right now. 💛

If we're editing a chapter so much that it has to go through the queue again, will we lose the reviews that are on that chapter?

2 minutes ago, Lost_Robin said:

If we're editing a chapter so much that it has to go through the queue again, will we lose the reviews that are on that chapter?

nope! the only way you lose reviews are if you delete the chapter and the review itself is specifically deleted. ^_^ 

• Like 1

I assume the new chapter  (HPFT new chapters) on twitter is automated? If so is there a way to make it distinguish between edits and actual new chapters. I just edited a chapter today because I noticed a typo and it was bugging me, but it tweeted it as a new chapter.

1 hour ago, pookha said:

I assume the new chapter  (HPFT new chapters) on twitter is automated? If so is there a way to make it distinguish between edits and actual new chapters. I just edited a chapter today because I noticed a typo and it was bugging me, but it tweeted it as a new chapter.

I could but we'd need consensus from people about how that Twitter should work. Right now all updates go into one rss file that's monitored by Zapier and it tweets about anything in that file that's newly put there. I could have edits not go to that file at all or have them go to a different file that gets treated differently. Idk. There are a lot of options. 

• Like 2

(I feel like I'd personally rather have edits go through, because sometimes they're tweaks but sometimes they're significant.)

I'm good either way, was more just curious because sometimes I go on an editing spree, fixing typos, etc and didn't want to spam peeps too much.

Question for the validators! Could I post blackout poetry made with HP on the archive, or is that prohibited because technically all the words are JKR's? 

Thank you! ❤️ 

31 minutes ago, MuggleMaybe said:

Question for the validators! Could I post blackout poetry made with HP on the archive, or is that prohibited because technically all the words are JKR's? 

Thank you! ❤️ 

That's completely fine!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 10:01 AM, abhorsen. said:

@facingthenorthwind @MadiMalfoy - When you go to the edit story screen, you should see a list of coauthors under the title. If you're not on that list, you're the primary author of the series, which means I have to take you off manually. Just let me know what the story is! ❤️

I tried to click on my name to remove it from the list and then hit 'add story' but it never seems to stick? the fic is +here. thank you ❤️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, facingthenorthwind said:

I tried to click on my name to remove it from the list and then hit 'add story' but it never seems to stick? the fic is +here. thank you ❤️

done!

• Thanks 1

Guest pookha

With the new KittenKnife account, I was thinking of setting up a challenge of tales of revenge, but with the stories judged blindly (by a poll open to all members). Would it be okay to run the challenge to have the stories posted there, so they could be anonymous for judging and then after the challenge was done, have the author post it on their page and transfer any reviews for them?

If so, would it be better to do it as an anthology or post each story separately.

Idea is in bouncing off the walls stage rn.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:25 PM, pookha said:

With the new KittenKnife account, I was thinking of setting up a challenge of tales of revenge, but with the stories judged blindly (by a poll open to all members). Would it be okay to run the challenge to have the stories posted there, so they could be anonymous for judging and then after the challenge was done, have the author post it on their page and transfer any reviews for them?

If so, would it be better to do it as an anthology or post each story separately.

Idea is in bouncing off the walls stage rn.

you can definitely do that! i can also change the authors manually afterward, so they wouldn't need to repost their stories and you wouldn't need to transfer the reviews. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pookha

Could I please PM a story to a validator to make sure it's not glorifying domestic violence too much?

Thanks, @abhorsen.

Edited by pookha
Taken care of

1 hour ago, pookha said:

Could I please PM a story to a validator to make sure it's not glorifying domestic violence too much?

Sure, you can PM me! ^_^

Can we mention Brand names? (ie a character goes shopping at Walmart or watches NBC)

• Like 1

This could be me going Daft, but have been trying to put a new story up and when I have filled in the form, clicked on Preview to check all looks ok. I noticed that Where it says series there is a list of what I guess are series of others work. I could not find anywhere to remove the list or have series revert to None as my other stories are. I cannot recall seeing anything on series when I posted my other stories. Am I missing something obvious?

47 minutes ago, tgfoy said:

This could be me going Daft, but have been trying to put a new story up and when I have filled in the form, clicked on Preview to check all looks ok. I noticed that Where it says series there is a list of what I guess are series of others work. I could not find anywhere to remove the list or have series revert to None as my other stories are. I cannot recall seeing anything on series when I posted my other stories. Am I missing something obvious?

It's a glitch! Nothing to worry about :3 If you post it as normal it should show up perfectly fine without those series attatched

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2020 at 2:27 PM, pookha said:

On 2/21/2020 at 4:23 PM, toomanycurls said:

I could but we'd need consensus from people about how that Twitter should work. Right now all updates go into one rss file that's monitored by Zapier and it tweets about anything in that file that's newly put there. I could have edits not go to that file at all or have them go to a different file that gets treated differently. Idk. There are a lot of options. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:50 PM, abhorsen. said:

(I feel like I'd personally rather have edits go through, because sometimes they're tweaks but sometimes they're significant.)

just wondering, is this something that we could open up a discussion about? i don't mind the tweets for edits when the edits are significant, but i think i would personally rather have no automatic edit tweets (and then just tweet a link to the edited chapter myself) than have it tweet when i change one word in the story.

alternately, i'm curious if there's a way that staffers could make tiny edits on the back-end, rather than stories having to be put back into the queue for extremely minor edits? it just bugs me when i change a typo in an old story and it gets bumped to the top of my AP (tbqh this usually discourages me from making small changes and fixing issues). i'm not sure what's possible with the software, and the last thing i want to do is create more work for our hardworking staffers (<3 love y'all). i'm wondering if maybe we could have some sort of... form, or something? where we could request minor edits that shouldn't require re-validation, and form requests could be worked through alongside the queue? i just figured that's about an equal amount of work as validating those changes in the queue??? but i'm not a validator and i don't know the software so :P take this whole paragraph with a tiny grain of salt. it's not a big deal at all, i was just curious about it.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys! i have two archive related questions; one is general and one is story specific.

the first one is in regards to formatting. whenever i try to copy/paste a chapter from google docs (or from scrivener) into the archives, it erases whatever formatting i have -- such as bold, italics, etc. -- and i have to go through and re-do everything. which is nbd (except for when i end up with 9k chapters, lol), it's more just an inconvenience and was wondering if there was a secret i was missing? i've tried copy/pasting directly into the story text and using 'copy/paste from word' with the same results. and i do have the 'use tinyMCE' button checked too. any hints or tricks would be useful, or if i just need to manually redo it, that's okay too.

the second one is story specific. i have a question about language; i know the rules have changed, but i'm assuming any sort of name calling would require a m rating with a slurs advisory? that was my takeaway from the tutorials anyway, but if there was someone i could PM about a specific snippet, i'd be grateful 😊💛

thanks for all your hard work!!