News Ticker

Short and Sweet

WriteYourHeartOut

Long, detailed reviews are fantastic. They are specific and helpful and a beautiful thing to receive. However, I've found many, many times that short and sweet reviews pack a powerful punch. Sometimes a single line - or even a single word - has the ability to just stay with you or turn an entire day around with its poignancy.

Share some of your favorite short and sweet reviews below!

• 2 weeks later...

This is the first review I got on ao3 (and from a non-HPFTer too!) from someone with the fabulous name of Bananasaurus

Brilliant!! I giggled the whole way through!

Something about three exclamation points in seven words just warmed my heart. It's on a story that I didn't expect to be too popular, and it really warmed my heart to get this comment out of the blue right away.

This review from The Ghost Of His Last Laugh at HPFF is up among my favorites I've ever received, despite (or maybe because of) the brevity:

Oh my goodness. This is so beautiful. I just wrote a story about Fred's hand on the clock, but this tops it spectacularly. Wow. Honestly, I have no words. Well done.

I mean.... *happy tears* :D

Well AO3 is the Land of Short Reviews (I guess that's why they call them comments!) so I have a lot of nice shorties over there. My top three of the shortest ones are probably:

Wow' date=' this is so painful. Kind of. I don't know. I like it.[/quote']

This was seriously fantastic. I loved how you built up this world and really made the crazy awesome of it your own.

Lovely sibling moments' date=' delightful banter, a host of things I'd like to see as canon, and the last line--of course!--made me laugh out loud![/quote']

On HPFF, my favourite shorter review is:

Really beautifully written! It was nice to catch a glimpse of what everyone is up to. And your quality of writing is superb. Really enjoyed it!

: D

The people on AO3 have been so incredibly lovely. There have been a few short comments/reviews that really made me smile and/or laugh.

This was on chapter 12 of Saving Severus Snape from a user named Reine.

I'm just a puddle of goo...sorry about the carpet

This was also chapter 12 of SSS from SiriusBlackHeir

I'll be reading every single chapter you post, unless you abandon this fic... but I really hope you don't ^.^

This was on the first ScorBus I ever wrote from davidwv

Damn allergies ;)

This was on Less Than from Bri. It made me tear up.

This is a wonderful story and I am glad for you writing it. People with fertility issues can read it and see hope. They can see their selves as whole.

I literally received this minutes ago on Lying Josephine from an anon AO3 user:

I cried my life out. I used a whole paper role. You took my heart. Please continue writing

I don't know why, but it made me laugh out loud uncontrollably. I'm just so twistedly pleased.  ;D

I got this awesome review on "Fallen" on AO3 by a user "RereLanxe" and it made me so happy:

Oh my goodness I love it! So unexpected my god. Im almost shaking!! Really well written!

:D

Probably my favorite review I've gotten on FF.net is on my story In Every Stitch, which references the "Disclaimer: I own nothing you recognize" in the A/N before the story.

Serious issue with the disclaimer. You do own something I recognize. You own my heart after this fic.

How dare you.

For some reason this makes me laugh every single time! ;D

• 1 month later...
Not sure where this story is going you are keeping us all guessing it's great love the story

I got this from a user named May on HPFF, and it made me feel amazing. Just the fact that I'm keeping people guessing is crazy! I was so glad someone loved the story so much, and she posted on almost every chapter. It warmed my heart!

May always leaves the sweetest short reviews. <3

My favourite I've gotten from her is

I liked this chapter you could just see happening in your mind

: )

Got this today on the latest chapter of L'optimisme from a random reviewer called Rhiannon:

I truly enjoy reading your work. It is rhythmic and poignant, like a clock ticking away the hours in a quiet room. Beautiful. I look forward to the next chapter

I'm always amazed by people who make it through the whole thing (like, seriously, I can barely do it and I wrote the damn thing!), and who like it, and people saying anything like 'beautiful' in relation to it always makes me so, so unbelievably happy and flustered <3

• 1 month later...

I got this

i'm actually SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS!!! IT'S AMAZING!
on AO3 on the ninth chapter of a story I was super worried about, Nothing But Perfect. So this comment made me feel over the moon.

From CupcakeKing on Good Luck, Lily:

Damn, this is really good! I wish I could leave more kudos tbh. I really get a feel of how petunia, and most other muggle siblings of muggle-born witches and wizards, felt when they watched their siblings join a magical world that they could only imagine. It's p good

;D I'm all smiles today now!

and one more awesome review from a guest on ffn:

Spookily grieving. Good writing, the imagery was fantastic.

This was for my story The Eulogy which I was massively insecure about due to the lack of feedback.

• 1 month later...

Just got this wonderful little review on Icarus, from someone called HappyTerrier on FFn:

This is a very unique and innovative story. I'm really impressed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got this from an anon on Saving Severus Snape and it totally cheered me up, because it was left on my baby. :)

Saving Severus Snape : xii.

23rd October 2016:

Oh my god please tell me more will be coming, this fic is brilliantly written and I love it. 11/10

• 2 weeks later...

I got this today on L'optimisme which just totally made my day - I almost never get random reviews, and it's so, so lovely, even more so when they say that they've read it multiple times, which is just... <3 <3 <3 :

This story is so amazing! I am blown away by how masterful you use your words everytime I read it. Beautiful, truly.

Your writing fits the both of them so well and I love how you painted their personalities.

I woke up to this today. It was from a user on FFN for SSS. ☺️ Making someone lose sleep is such a huge compliment haha.

I found this story, I love it, and you made me lose hours of sleep in my need to read everything posted so far. I hope you're happy... reallythisstoryisamazingomg!

• 3 months later...

I got this a few days ago, bit still can't get over it :D

I'm very impressed with this! I've never read anything like this before. I love all in details you go into, it's such an interesting idea and clever concept you've come up with! The ending was quite chilling (in a good way), it was an amazing way to end it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got this one on HPFF for The Shadows Within:

I love this story!! Really good stuff, it is very believable. I only like to read stories that align best with J.K. Rowling's work. I really hope you continue publishing! I'm in for the long haul.

• 1 month later...

I got this yesterday for Present and Future on HPFF:

You are such a good writer! I love your story, please, please, please update soon.

:D

• 1 month later...

An anonymous reviewer called Cecilia has reviewed L'optimisme twice now, seems to be following all the updates (which is, like, super rare for me, especially for someone anonymous), and her second review came this morning and just made my day:

I adore your work and this is probably the best fan writing I've ever read in my life, it's a masterpiece & I am so happy I have found it. I just wanted to leave some love here, again. Keep going.

• 2 months later...

I just got this review on AO3 a little while ago for my new The 100 fic.  I had a lot of self-doubt because I've never written the characters or pairing before, but this totally put a huge smile on my face: 

wow wow wow wooooow. Oh how I wish we got scenes like this. Terrific work! :)

• 2 weeks later...

i got this on gods without grace yesterday on ao3 and it's just... i can't stop smiling :P

wow, wow, wow, arvjhsjdqfhnvùjqwsdlm this was absolute perfection and I'm a mess and wow, wow, WOW, I can't, I can't, I promise I'll try to come back later & leave a proper review but for now just know that i loved this, absolutely loved this,,, wowwww

absolutely amazing review to log on to!

• 2 months later...

This could also easily go in the Squee-worthy Reviews thread because it made me sooo happy :D Thanks for the super sweet review @abhorsen., I was so nervous about trying out a poem and this review was the best thing to see when I logged in today. love you Branwen! <3 

Shreya, omg - this is seriously your first time writing poetry?? This is amazing. The imagery is gorgeous, and as someone who writes poetry a fair amount, I'm especially impressed that you were able to handle a sestina so well for your first time. 

(Your first time?? Seriously??) 

Amazing job. Really.  Thank you for sharing it. <3

• Like 1