Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Good luck to all the NaNoWriMo participants! Don't forget to stop by the Cafe.
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
Sign in to follow this  
abhorsen.

Soccer/Football

800 words of heaven

I'll be following the World Cup, as well! It's the only soccer I watch, really. Already have Australia's matches in my phone so I don't miss them. We have very little chance of getting to the next round but it's still always fun to cheer them on! 

adorably cute
3 hours ago, 800 words of heaven said:

It's the only soccer I watch, really.

It's pretty much the only soccer I watch as well! But I always get super into the World Cups, ever since I was little.

8 hours ago, Aphoride said:

Spain v Portugal is going to be a hell of a game in the opening stages, though. I'm rooting for Spain :P

I'm very excited for this.; it's going to be a great game! Can't wait to watch

• Like 1

Alopex

I don't really follow any sports, but I have to butt in here with this story. :P My mom doesn't follows sports either, at least not systematically, but soccer is one that she still does pay some attention to. Soccer and Olympics were the only two things we ever watched on TV at home growing up. She's from Germany, so it's a Big Deal to her and I think also one way in which she feels a little connected to her culture. Anyway, she subscribes to this e-newsletter for Germans living abroad, and evidently there has been a lot in it lately about soccer/the World Cup. She excitedly messaged me today to tell me something funny from the newsletter, which was this: "Soccer is a simple game. It's 22 guys chasing a ball for 90 minutes, and then Germany wins."

So. #gogermany or I might be disowned. :PxD

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Recent Badges

Aphoride

It's a joke, but it's mostly true :P:P

• Like 1

Margaret

Surprise, surprise, while reading this I googled "Iceland World Cup" and immediately what came up was an RTÉ (Ireland's TV station) article saying why we should all support Iceland and mentioning that "the similarities with Ireland's plucky underdog Italia 90 campaign are there." I have no interest in soccer. I don't follow sport at all and if I did, I'd be more likely to take an interest in hurling or Gaelic Football or tennis or even basketball, but like pretty much every Irish person who lived through it, I do have fond memories of Italia '90. Not that I watched any of the matches, but I still remember some of the songs.

abhorsen.

@Alopex - That is one of the truest jokes I've ever heard, and it will literally never get old. :P

Though I'm (obviously) rooting hardcore for Spain, because that's what I always do. Also for Messi and I guess the rest of Argentina by proxy. (I need him to win a WC already to shut the haters up and also because he wants it so bad.)

teh tarik

Great to see other folks also following the World Cup! :soccer:

Opening match will kick off in a few hours - that will be 3am my time. Sadly this means I probably won't be able to watch most of the live matches because boo RL and work!! :P

How does the timezone and match times work for the rest of you all?

Crimson Quill

Russia is between 2-3 hours ahead of UK I believe, the first match today is 4pm so not ideal for those people who are working. (I'm currently on maternity leave so suits me fine!)

starbuck

my little vikings managed to hold out against argentina :greenstars:

• Like 1

teh tarik
On 6/13/2018 at 2:08 PM, Alopex said:

"Soccer is a simple game. It's 22 guys chasing a ball for 90 minutes, and then Germany wins."

Looks like this has now been updated lol :P

Gary Lineker, who made that original tweet, has since adapted his famous quote with

Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans no longer always win. Previous version is confined to history.

Gotta say, this WC's been a blast, even though I haven't been able to watch most of the matches because of the timezone.

All of the upsets. Here's to more upsets and the underdog! :D

• Haha 2

Alopex
4 minutes ago, teh tarik said:

Looks like this has now been updated lol :P

Yup. :P my mom is actually visiting me for a couple of weeks. She arrived last night, and the Germans being knocked out of the World Cup was one of her first topics of conversation at dinner. 

She hasn't been watching any matches...just YouTube videos of goals and exciting moments.

Recent Badges

Aphoride

Some of the talk going round about Germany crashing out is annoying me, I gotta admit :P There's a lot of Premier League fans claiming they could have gone all the way and won it if only they'd taken Leroy Sane, and while like Leroy Sane's good, he's not that good! Besides which, they had squad selection issues, yes, but none which really involved a position Sane plays. Ugh. Men :P:P

So looking forward to the next round matches already - really rooting for France and Mexico in their games! :D 

Also England-Belgium has the risk of being the most ridiculous game so far this WC, since neither team will really want to win, as winning puts them in the half of the draw with Brazil, Spain and Portugal and Uruguay, France and Argentina, which, er, is a lot less fun than the runner up's half :P 

facingthenorthwind

Has anyone been listening to Political Football? (It sounds like especially @abhorsen.'s jam.) I know nothing about football, as we've previously established, but it's oddly calming listening to them talk a language I cannot understand a lick of, and I get to google things like the 1998 Ronaldo incident, which is fun (and the Heysel stadium disaster, which is far less fun -- I almost got into Scottish football because of uh reasons but reading about Heysel made me remember that UK football is a garbage fire and continues to be so, but then again....What Sport Isn't. Reading about the Rangers going into administration in 2012 was a lot of fun though). 

That reminds me: is there anyone who knows of good resources for Sport Narratives™? One of the people on Political Football talked about how he wanted to know who the heroes and villains were and what the plotline of the World Cup was and I am extremely into that view of sports, tbh, I eat it up with a spoon. 

Sleepingbagonthesofa

@facingthenorthwind I've not listened to it but I'll definitely give it a go. 

Scottish football is, in general, a bit of a mess but it's great once you get into it it's brilliant.

There's a lot of politics that goes on and it's all (stupidly) tied up with religion. Rangers going under made it a one horse race for a while, not that I'm complaining... 

2 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:

Reading about the Rangers going into administration in 2012 was a lot of fun though). 

2012 was, from our point of view, bloody amazing. 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Sleepingbagonthesofa said:

@facingthenorthwind I've not listened to it but I'll definitely give it a go. 

Scottish football is, in general, a bit of a mess but it's great once you get into it it's brilliant.

There's a lot of politics that goes on and it's all (stupidly) tied up with religion. Rangers going under made it a one horse race for a while, not that I'm complaining... 

2012 was, from our point of view, bloody amazing. 

when they asked to be let back into the premier league and EVERY SINGLE CLUB voted no? ICONIC.

(If I eventually fold and start following Scottish football I'll be sure to let you know, if only so that I can talk about it to a remotely receptive party.)

Edited by facingthenorthwind
sorry mixed up football leagues and divisions and this sport is CONFUSING
  • Like 1

Sleepingbagonthesofa
9 minutes ago, facingthenorthwind said:

when they asked to be let back into the premier league and EVERY SINGLE CLUB voted no? ICONIC.

It's the most united we've been EVER. 

We had a party to celebrate, I'm not even kidding, it's the happiest I think I've ever seen my dad. 

If you do let me know, I'm always up for a wee chat about the SPFL. 

Recent Badges

StarFeather

I saw Ron Weasley in Kawashima's amazing save at JP against Poland, FIFA World Cup last night.

Which team and who's the best for you during FIFA World Cup?

Slide

As an England fan, the World Cup is usually just a time for suffering and underachieving. Do I dare have hope, now in 2018? Not for winning the WC, but to be honest I am living for this tournament. All sorts of upsets, all sorts of underdog victories, and an England who aren't rolling over limply the moment their opponents prove they have a little steel?

I might be eating my words come Tuesday, but I truly haven't been rating Colombia this tournament. I watched their game against Senegal and felt so bad for Senegal for not getting through (especially with that utterly shocking display from Japan and Poland for the last 15 minutes). The only real mark of Colombia's pedigree was being able to come back from such a shockingly bad first half - and I don't mean that lightly, I think a huge chunk of what separates the decent from the good isn't so much talent as it is having the grit to endure and to keep on trying (for England, see: Kane having the wherewithal to keep on trying and being in the right spot to score against Tunisia in the 91st minute).

The Belgium game was pretty boring, but I don't think anyone's heart was much in it and I suspect Southgate was more interested in getting some of his players off the bench to give them a World Cup game under their belts.

• Like 2

abhorsen.

So I haven't posted here recently.

But now I'm going to.

1. Group.

I'm pissed that no African teams made it through. I'm also honestly pretty sad for South Korea - if Mexico had pulled it together, they'd've moved on. I know that they lost the first two games and that's kinda what happens, but also, what they did to Germany was just amazing.

There was so much excitement, though, and I'm so here for it.

2. KOs.

I'm gutted that Argentina went out. They weren't good enough to win the tournament, but in the France game... like, it genuinely felt like Argentina's back line was playing for France. (The keeper was okay, though.) It was so infuriating. And to score the third goal and then have Otamendi waste all kinds of time just... why. whywhywhy.

Psyched that Portugal went out, though, and that Suarez kept his teeth to himself.

Come onnnn Spain, it's Russia don't screw this up.

• Like 1

starbuck
Posted (edited)

OMG THIS CROATIA-DENMARK GAME IS KILLING ME.

i'll stop screaming now. it's the first game i'm able to watch and not just listen while working and omg jesus so many opportunities to score!!!

also i can't believe russia beat spain (okay, it was a shootout but still, spain!)

Edited by starbuck
  • Like 1

Slide

I think there's been a curse on England where their players are never allowed to win a penalty shoot-out. So it took Gareth Southgate, a man who was felled by the curse in Euro '96 and is now the manager, so is free of the curse but has known its taint so he could undo the curse's power.

• Like 1

dirigibleplums

i don't usually keep up with sports or football, but this WC has been getting me somewhat invested since england is, like, not out, you know? it's like my mind is saying to be logical and steel myself, but my damn heart. all those trends on twitter and the stupid excitement of the country has gotten to me :P

like i never thought i would be so invested in a match, but england vs colombia had me screaming!! lets be honest, the match was dirrrrrty and that ref. seriously what's with all the dramatics and aggro? 😩 but we won!!! ON A PENALTY SHOOTOUT I'M -

• Like 1

Sleepingbagonthesofa

So whoever wins this game is playing England? CROATIA I NEED YOU TO WIN HERE! YOU CAN DO IT! 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

ReillyJade

THEY DID IT!! 🇭🇷💪

Honestly, I’m pulling for England to win the whole thing, but if they’re gonna lose in the semi-final, I’m glad it’ll be to Croatia. That team has won my heart throughout this tournament and i won’t be sad if they make it to the final, even if it’s at England’s expense. 

• Like 2

Slide

Croatia are going to be hell for England to beat on Wednesday, but they play so much nicer football than Russia, honestly. Russia I feel would just try to grind everything out to penalties yet again. I knew I should have wanted a Russian victory to make things easier for England, but I couldn't help rooting for Croatia. May they be a Worthy Adversary in the semi-final, and if they win, I might just have to root for them next Sunday. ;)

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this