Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Congratulations to Gryffindor for winning this year's house cup!
  • Hippolyta Truth is our new Minister of Magic following our special election!
  • Have a very relaxing August - our next House Cup starts next month!
abhorsen.

Make-up

abhorsen.

So I am really really hoping that I'm not the only ridiculous vain person on HPFT who really enjoys make-up.

I could definitely wax poetic about my favorites (omgggg my modern renaissance palette is starting to run down because I wear it constantly and it's so expensive to replace :( :(), but I'm going to start by asking for advice, because that's what's most pressing for me.

How do you deal with your eyebrows (if you do)? I've generally just used a tweezer to shape them and a pencil to fill them in a little, but it's so time consuming... and I'm hoping that there's an easier way that doesn't cost me a lot of money. :P

crowsb4bros

UM HELLO. This topic is my life. The other night I had a friend comment on how he really liked how I didn't wear that much makeup and I was like ummm, I have at least fifteen products on my face at the moment.

I've taken to waxing my brows at home and then tweezing to keep the little hairs at bay in between. If I tweeze a little every few days then I never have too much to clean up. I use the cheap-o loreal brow dip to do the bulk of my eyebrows and then I go back and draw in individual hairs with a pencil for better definition! I don't use a pencil exclusively simply because I break the tip really easily and then I go through an entire pencil in like a week. Plus the dip seems to go on quicker.

My current holy grail is the Promise Organic coconut milk face lotion. I use it before foundation and skip my primer. I also use it before bed.

Recent Badges

hedwig1751

'Ello ye make up lovers! You are not alone!

I don't wear makeup very often (but I think that's because of my age) but when I do for parties or weekend shopping or whatever I just put some eyeshadow (my MUA palette is actually really pigmented...and it was only £4 from Superdrug! It's amazing...) and blend, and add liner and mascara and whatnot. I Bethlehem brands like Urban Decay are so expensive (even if they are wonderful...I haven't actually owned a Naked palette before :() but maybe if you broaden your range? Because there are so many great brands that aren't as

expensive, if you look in the right places :)

I'm not actually allowed to pluck or thread or wax my eyebrows (again, my age...) so I just leave them alone and hope they don't turn into a version of the Forbidden forest that will take over my face...but leaning them au natural isn't as bad as I thought, with the lack of the monobrow, yay!

abhorsen.
UM HELLO. This topic is my life. The other night I had a friend comment on how he really liked how I didn't wear that much makeup and I was like ummm, I have at least fifteen products on my face at the moment.

Omgggg I find it so funny when that happens and it happens all the time, especially when I'm not wearing my ABH eyeshadow. Like, no, you just have no concept of what makeup looks like apparently? (I need the tears-laughing emoji right now but I'm not on my ipad, so... just pretend I did it. :P)

I've also found that with my pencil - I'll definitely pick up a brow pomade. What do you use to wax them? I've cut down my normal wax strips before, but they're definitely a little trickier (which is why I occasionally end up tweezing it all).

Because there are so many great brands that aren't as

expensive, if you look in the right places :)

I'm not actually allowed to pluck or thread or wax my eyebrows (again, my age...) so I just leave them alone and hope they don't turn into a version of the Forbidden forest that will take over my face...but leaning them au natural isn't as bad as I thought, with the lack of the monobrow, yay!

I am definitely a snob and probably should broaden what I use, esp since I do not make enough money to reasonably be this snobby. :P

And awww, there's nothing wrong with leaving your eyebrows as is! I didn't touch mine much at all until I was midway through college, tbh, and I'm clearly still figuring out the best strategy to deal with them in my late twenties. :P

Eyebrows and eyeliner. Those are my last two hurdles. :P

Edit: Also I am so glad I'm not alone in my makeup love. :P

Edit edit: Also, FWIW, Naked palettes are slightly overrated IMO. I like the one I currently have, but it's not the first or the second palette I reach for. (I mean, my favorite palette is nearly as expensive, but still.)

manno-malfoy

I'm not the biggest makeup fanatic out there but I'm the best person with it at my house. So before special events, I'm the one doing everyone's make up. And I did spend most of my senior year at high school watching makeup gurus on YouTube.  But personally, I am obsessed with eyeliner pens and exaggerated winged liner. Recently, I finally took the step of wearing dark lipsticks to every day things, so there has been a lot of crimsons and plums. My favourite at the moment is a dark red Velvet Matt from NYX. It's so smooth and stays on all day!

As for eyebrows, I don't touch them myself. I go to a beauty salon and get them threaded (which is the common practice here) almost every month. But other than that, I don't do anything to them. It did take me a while to find someone who does them for me perfectly, and I kind of haven't liked my eyebrows since she has left the salon a couple of months ago  :'(. So that's the downside of being heavily dependent on someone else for this task. I actually once shaved off one of my eyebrows as a kid so they're pretty different until now, which is why I can't do them myself.

AbraxanUnicorn

Wow, this thread is like in a whole new language! Between this and trying to reply to Sian's Italian tweets by using Google translate, I am learning so much from this site <3 :D

The only bit I understood was about eyebrow threading, which I sometimes voluntarily go for. If I'm looking yeti-like, either a friend or one of my nieces tends to pin me down to prune them.

lovegood27
Wow, this thread is like in a whole new language!

Ahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like that. I own zero makeup (unless lip balm counts and I rarely use that) and my parents are the type who think I shouldn't be using any until I'm at least, like, 25 or something. One time, we had a house competition at school, and my friend that it would be a good idea to force me into a chair and put tons of dark eyeshadow on me. The result was me looking like a panda, my friend with a slightly bruised leg ( ::)), and me with a swollen red face the next day because of some sort of reaction :P

And I'm far too lazy to bother with my eyebrows. My way of reasoning is if no one comments on them, they can't be that bad ;)

dirigibleplums

Lol I am like so shit at applying makeup and I can never sit through makeup vids on YouTube bc I just get bored but like... I really like how pretty makeup can make you feel? Like sometimes it's just such a great confidence booster. My sisters say my skin's good enough that foundation doesn't really make a difference (lies, I tell you) but having a full face on when you go out, even if it's minimal makeup (which mine is) is great tbh. Unfortunately for me, eyeliner and all these smokey eyes just don't work well for me at all though ?

I'd say that my ~signature look~ is plum/deep red lipstick. Like I feel so dead if I don't have red lipstick to combat the fact that my face is bare so it's a dark day indeed when I leave the house without it.

Also, my eyebrows are the BANE of my existence. They're so goddamn dark and thick ?? I'm just gonna start getting them done in the shop.

Rhaenyra

I have 4 drawers of an IKEA Alex 5 drawer dupe dedicated to makeup so... yeah. I love makeup. I did my own for my wedding.

I usually just do concealer, mascara, and brows on days I work though because I work 10 hour days starting at 7:30 and I am not a morning person. Otherwise, game on.

I'm also one where people have made comments about not using tons of makeup at times when I have a natural look. Sure, whatever you say.

I've had a kind of snarky comment from my MIL that I look better without lots of makeup (and blonde vs as a redhead) but I don't give a hoot. I enjoy it and like the way I look when I spend an hour getting ready on occasion.

I'm super, super pale, so recs I give probably would be best for other fair skinned people. But I have tons of those!

My eyebrows are thin and blonde, so I don't have tons of tips there. But well groomed, thicker brows are in!

Ineke

I rarely wear makeup :( It's not because I don't like it (though I do prefer to stay in bed as opposed to doing my makeu-up), but it's also because whenever I use make-up remover, my eye-sight gets so horrible for at least an hour it's like I'm not wearing glasses, even though I am. It's all hazy and blurry and I hate it, and it happens if I use oil, milk, waterbased or whatever :( The thing I had the least reaction to were cleaning wipes from Nivea, but I had it even there - and even the most expensive brands make my eyesight horrid for at least an hour.

And I honestly don't know what to do about it

hedwig1751

@Ineke Do you think there's an ingredient in all those products that make your eyes react? Any allergies? If it makes you feel better, whenever I use makeup remover it makes my eyes sting whenever I close them until the rest of the day  :P

MuggleMaybe
Eyebrows and eyeliner. Those are my last two hurdles.

If Branwen or others are looking for a good eyeliner find, I have one! My current makeup favorite is a black Stila Stay All Day eyeliner pen I got at Sephora. A little pricy for me, but 100% worth it. It's so easy to use, and I wear it a lot. It looks extra snazy if you use an eyeliner brush to put some dark shadow over the eyeliner. It's a little more soft and smokey that way.

Ineke

I don't think so. I've used all kinds of different stuff and there can't be something in wipes that is in oil or milk based or whatever stuff...

crowsb4bros

What do you use to wax them? I've cut down my normal wax strips before, but they're definitely a little trickier (which is why I occasionally end up tweezing it all).

I've stopped using strips because I seem to always have to tweeze so much after I use them. I just get a jar of wax (usually one I've picked up at a drugstore) and use the toothpick thing to apply a little at a time. You can go slowly and connect each spot and then just peel it up all at once. I was doing threading, but at three separate places I've ended up with folliculitis and I always worry about how clean the instruments are so I won't let anyone do it except me. I barely have eyebrows anyway!

Side note about my insanity with cleanliness: If you go to a tanning bed bring your own wipes or you might end up with white fungal spots on your stomach that take two years to get rid of. :/

ALSO: Anyone doing sephora play or ipsy? I'm in love with both. <3

Recent Badges

banshee

ME me me me

Benefit is my jam for foundation/concealer. Their big easy foundation is my FAVE (and so far the only really good match for my skin) and their boi-ing concealer is magical. I'm also a huge NYX fan because their products are great quality for the price. I rarely do eye makeup (shadow/mascara/liner) because my skin is really oily so it just ends up getting messed up at work anyway (and because urban decay primer is SO out of my price range)

@Ineke (and really anyone else) I use baby wipes for makeup remover and they work amazingly. There aren't all the chemicals in them and they're like a third of the price of a pack of makeup wipes. It is definitely the best makeup hack I've ever been taught.

My one makeup hurdle is lipstick. I know it's in my own head but I feel like lipstick always looks so weird on me, even if I get compliments when i do wear it. I feel like I need to find some more neutral colors, but I just love red lipstick so much :-*

I have a routine for eyebrows. I get them waxed once a month and also get them tinted because my eyebrows are super light. I use a micro-pencil to fill in spots on the tails and some on the arches that don't grow as much hair. I would definitely recommend nyx's micro-pencil for that, the formula works great, stays in place and is only like $7 a pencil. I spend about $32 a month at the salon but I get so many compliments on my eyebrows it's unreal. I think the key is to find a good place and someone that listens and someone that does consistent work. (if you're ever in the MSP area i have a great recommendation  ;))

@Rhaenyra PLEASE SEND ME PALE FOUNDATION RECOMMENDATIONS  :D

@Paula I used to do IPSY and it's AWESOME. My credit card on the account expired and I'm lazy and haven't renewed my subscription.

Ineke

Okay will try babywipes! The nivea ones are just your regular wipes but I haven't tried baby wipes as it's stated like that :)

dreamshadow

This thread is so interesting! I'm learning so much. I'm one of those people who rarely wears makeup, but I love the concept of it.  Part of the reason I don't is because I'm lazy and the other reason is that I never really learned the "right" way to do it.  I've watched some videos on youtube, but I also never really know what are good products or what matches my skintone.

I think I'm going to be poking my head into this thread for a bit so I can learn some new things. :P

Crimson Quill

@dreamgazer - your post basically sums up me! I've started doing a bit more recently though. Re. Eyebrows, I have mine threaded. ☺

abhorsen.

Yayyy this thread makes me super happy. <3 you all. (I mean, <3 people who aren't makeup fiends, too. But you know.)

I rarely wear makeup :( It's not because I don't like it (though I do prefer to stay in bed as opposed to doing my makeu-up), but it's also because whenever I use make-up remover, my eye-sight gets so horrible for at least an hour it's like I'm not wearing glasses, even though I am. It's all hazy and blurry and I hate it, and it happens if I use oil, milk, waterbased or whatever :( The thing I had the least reaction to were cleaning wipes from Nivea, but I had it even there - and even the most expensive brands make my eyesight horrid for at least an hour.

And I honestly don't know what to do about it

@Ineke Do you think there's an ingredient in all those products that make your eyes react? Any allergies? If it makes you feel better, whenever I use makeup remover it makes my eyes sting whenever I close them until the rest of the day  :P

My vision doesn't get hazy, but my eyes definitely burn when I take eye makeup off using most kinds of makeup remover. What I just started using and I already love is Burt's Bees Eye Makeup Remover Pads (link to their site, but I know you can get it cheaper at Ulta and Amazon right now). It usually takes me a couple swipes to get everything off with (usually with two pads - one for each eye), but I wear a fair amount of eye makeup. And, most importantly, it cuts out all of the burning entirely, which is really nice. I'm actually going to get more makeup remover from them for the rest of my face, because the stuff I have now also leaves my face burning a little.

What do you use to wax them? I've cut down my normal wax strips before, but they're definitely a little trickier (which is why I occasionally end up tweezing it all).

I've stopped using strips because I seem to always have to tweeze so much after I use them. I just get a jar of wax (usually one I've picked up at a drugstore) and use the toothpick thing to apply a little at a time. You can go slowly and connect each spot and then just peel it up all at once. I was doing threading, but at three separate places I've ended up with folliculitis and I always worry about how clean the instruments are so I won't let anyone do it except me. I barely have eyebrows anyway!

Side note about my insanity with cleanliness: If you go to a tanning bed bring your own wipes or you might end up with white fungal spots on your stomach that take two years to get rid of. :/

ALSO: Anyone doing sephora play or ipsy? I'm in love with both. <3

Oooh, I will try waxing that way. I have an epilator that I sometimes use on my legs, but wax is definitely less painful. :P

I've been meaning to do ipsy but haven't gotten around to it yet, and I hadn't even thought about Sephora play because now that I live in NM I usually go to Ulta, but I definitely should! (Ulta's much closer to my house - I used to be a Sephora person when I lived in NY, but I'm not sure I'd go back that being my first choice unless this Ulta stopped being in reasonable driving distance.)

My one makeup hurdle is lipstick. I know it's in my own head but I feel like lipstick always looks so weird on me, even if I get compliments when i do wear it. I feel like I need to find some more neutral colors, but I just love red lipstick so much :-*

SO I have the same issue, and one thing that I've found really effective is applying almost all lip products with a brush. It mutes the color a little initially, and then if I want to build it up, I can.

This thread is so interesting! I'm learning so much. I'm one of those people who rarely wears makeup, but I love the concept of it.  Part of the reason I don't is because I'm lazy and the other reason is that I never really learned the "right" way to do it.  I've watched some videos on youtube, but I also never really know what are good products or what matches my skintone.

Re: finding the right shade - This can be a really mixed bag, but the people at the Ulta near me have been super helpful with that! I asked one of the women working there to help me find the right shade, and she was spot-on.

For good products in general... I'll preface this with saying that my makeup tastes are often a little pricey, and there are solid products that are less pricey. I break out really easily, though, so once I find brands that work, I often gravitate toward them. But:

Foundation: It's a little pricey, but I love BareMinerals. I used the mineral foundation almost exclusively for years, but moving from a humid area to a super dry one dried out my skin a lot, so I recently switched to their liquid foundation, and I love it. (Though unfortunately, I did find that their special brush actually made a huge difference - I tried some of my other brushes, and they just didn't do as good a job, so I went back to get the expensive one.)

Eyeshadow: The drugstore brands often aren't bad, but I live by Anastasia Beverly Hills eyeshadow. I have other palettes, and I do use them, but ABH just rules my life, especially the Modern Renaissance palette. It's magical.

Mascara: I've used mascaras that looked decent, but a lot of them made my eyes itch - I'm super sensitive - so right now, I'm using a BareMinerals mascara that I like a lot.

Lips: Again, I've got a lot of ABH and BareMinerals, but one of the other things I use a lot and is actually pretty cheap is Burt's Bees lip crayons. I have two right now, and I really like them both - and they're very reasonably priced.

Those are the major ones, I think? Contouring and eyebrow pencils and stuff are probably not worth getting into? Unless you want me to?

Also, keep in mind that if you try something and don't like it, you can always return it.

Rhaenyra

@Banshee I'm the kind of pale that makes it nearly impossible to find foundation.  Ones I've found that work:

- Rimmel Stay Matte in light porcelain (I told you I was pale!)

- CoverGirl's TruBlend in Ivory L-1, I've used the palest concealer as well with some luck

- Lancome has an powder that is expensive, put powder can last forever (ish).

- Clinique has an undereye brightener that is great and not too orange like 99% of things I have tried

Unfortunately, I'm trying to go cruelty free and all of the above are more expensive.  The ones below are cruelty free and I've used with luck.

- BareMinerals is not quite as fair and more yellow.

- Kat von D has a ton for the super-pale.  Her Tattoo Lock It Foundation is what I wore on my wedding and it held up 12+ hours.  I've used liquid and powder, like them both.

- Kat von D concealer: ditto the above.  Shade 1 is the only thing that I've ever found that is actually too light for me.

- Hard Candy Glamoflauge concealer.  Cheap and has a "very fair" shade.  It is intense.

- I haven't tried Nyx foundation or concealer, but their HD blush in Taupe is the perfect contour shade for the transluscent. It is by far the best and is something like $7 Canadian.

For everybody who wanted to know eyebrow product suggestions, I love the Nyx microbrow pencil.  It is apparently a dupe for the ABH brow pencil that is holy grail for lots of people but significantly cheaper.

sunshinedaisieswindmills

I'm so here for all of the pale recommendations. My skin tone has been described as "whiter than a ghost in a snowstorm," so I obviously have some issues finding solid foundation shades. I've mostly switched to just using BB cream in the lightest available shades, and I've had a lot of success with that. Granted I have been blessed with very clear skin so the sheer coverage is really all I need.

As far as eyebrows go, mine are basically transparent, so I don't put too much effort into maintaining them. I get them waxed occasionally, but generally I just use one of those eyebrow razor things to get the worst of it, then I use a brow pencil to fill them in. Discovering brow pencils was literally life changing. I found a nice light blond color and SUDDENLY I HAD EYEBROWS ON MY FACE. It actually made my entire face look different. It really confused my mom. I've thought about getting them tinted but I'm a little concerned they'll try and talk me into tinting them to match my (ginger) hair, which is like, no. @Julie, tell me more about this magical process!

Rhaenyra

I'm so here for all of the pale recommendations. My skin tone has been described as "whiter than a ghost in a snowstorm," so I obviously have some issues finding solid foundation shades. I've mostly switched to just using BB cream in the lightest available shades, and I've had a lot of success with that. Granted I have been blessed with very clear skin so the sheer coverage is really all I need.

As far as eyebrows go, mine are basically transparent, so I don't put too much effort into maintaining them. I get them waxed occasionally, but generally I just use one of those eyebrow razor things to get the worst of it, then I use a brow pencil to fill them in. Discovering brow pencils was literally life changing. I found a nice light blond color and SUDDENLY I HAD EYEBROWS ON MY FACE. It actually made my entire face look different. It really confused my mom. I've thought about getting them tinted but I'm a little concerned they'll try and talk me into tinting them to match my (ginger) hair, which is like, no. @Julie, tell me more about this magical process!

Haha same!  I was called pale by a classmate who is actually an albino before, if that tells you anything.  I was about half a shade darker than her.  If you're into BB creams, I've had the best luck colour matching with the Tarte one.  It's called the BB Tinted Treatment 12-Hour Primer, but it seems more like a light coverage BB cream to me.

It sounds like we are also eyebrow twins!  I'm currently blonde, but when I was a redhead finding decent eyebrow products was so hard.  I'd also be interested in hearing about eyebrow tinting. :)

abhorsen.

Is anyone else obsessed with youtube beauty videos and stays up entirely too late watching them?

(Please say yes.)

I am obsessed with thesocialitelife - she's hilarious and amazing. (Fair warning - she does use profanity, which I personally kind of love but I thought I should probably mention that if anyone wants to check her out.) I also love Zoella - so really two very similar youtubers, it's totally consistent.

(They are polar opposites in like every way.)

I also adore every single beauty video Jenna Marbles does even though she's not a beauty youtuber exactly, because she kind of makes me die laughing.

LadyPlantagenet

I know her videos are kind of creepy, but some of Venus Angelic's makeup tips are pretty good, especially about widening the eye. I also love Zoella, and if you like Jenna Marbles, then be sure to watch her "Drunk Makeup Tutorial." Hilarious!

As for makeup, I'm a big fan of drugstore makeup. The markup on department store brands is like 800%, and drugstore make up is getting better. I use Physician's Formula mineral powder foundation in Light Translucent--it's mineral makeup, so it doesn't clog your pores. I also use their rouge. I like L'Oreal's Voluminous mascara--I like the brush and the feel of it. My one splurge for makeup is my Smashbox eyeshadow palette--I like the smooth feel of it. But I use Nutrogena lipstick and the lip and eye liners I use are either from Nyx or Prestige.

MalfoysAngel

I'm not one to wear makeup  often but I do dress up on special occasions so I don't buy expensive make up, my choices usually involve whatever I can get at Wal-Mart or the local drug store and are limited to mascara, eye shadow, and lip gloss. My cheeks are naturally red so I don't use blush unless its the very rare occasion when I'm using concealer and foundation. I work in a kitchen so I don't wear it at work because I usually wind up sweating it off and it clogs my pores really bad when that happens.

I'm very much a minimalist when it comes to make up because if I haven't been able to find any that I can regularly afford that doesn't make me break out every time I use it.

If anyone has any suggestions for a great brand for oily skin that won't break the bank please let me know. (preferably that doesn't require going to the mall to get either.)