Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Congratulations to Gryffindor for winning this year's house cup!
  • Hippolyta Truth is our new Minister of Magic following our special election!
  • Have a very relaxing August - our next House Cup starts next month!
abhorsen.

Make-up

ImaRavenclaw

I don't even know how I found this thread, haha.

I think that like a lot of us who have commented I don't wear a lot of makeup. Occasionally if I'm feeling it I'll wear a little bit of mascara, but my lashes are all ready super duper long that I'm never worried about it. My one problem with mascara though is that I rub my eyes constantly (because I'm always tired or super bored :P).

Sometimes eyeliner is fun to play with but I always get frustrated with my self.

If I am wearing makeup it'll usually be plum/bright red/dark red lipstick just because it makes me feel super bad ass (but only if I have a clear face so that it doesn't look weird without other makeup).

I guess I'm alright at applying it because of all the years of competitive dance that I've done, but I can really only apply the exact look I need for competitions. Which is just full face and takes a million years to do (and doesn't even really make me look that good anyways).

I OBSESS over my eyebrows however. They aren't particularly tenacious, so I do tweeze them myself. I never fill them in or anything like that though.

All in all I'd say these are the top three reasons I don't wear makeup:

1 - Ain't nobody got time for that (I have no time to do anything, I swear).

2 - Eye rubbing is a constant in my life.

3 - And sometimes it makes me feel uncomfortable. I just don't normally like having it on my face.

Crimson Quill

So I thought I would post in this thread because since last time I posted I've got a bit more 'into' makeup like I didn't think I was but I went to New York last month and I spent $100 on make up! i think that's a step up in the make up game! I'm still new to whole thing! haha

I've been getting 'glossybox' but I don't know if you have this in US but it's a monthly subscription and you receive a box full of make up from different companies, sometimes its tester size and some full size. They're normally high quality products too so it's a nice way to gain some good stuff without the huge price tag especially for me not having that much experience with make up. I found a brand through this which I loved but most pieces aren't available in the UK so I got overly excited when I saw it in New York. :) 

crowsb4bros

Carrying on with this conversation because I belong in this thread. So, on the pasty note, I actually had a policy among my friends that was no flash photography because you literally can't see my eyebrows or nose at all when flash is on. When I had my gov ID made the lady took my picture and then looked at her screen and said "Oh dear, let's try that again." Finally she gave up and seriously the ID would be a perfect fake one if some kid robbed me.

I'm currently using benefit's brow pencil, but it's almost out so I think I'm going to switch to anastasia's brow dip instead. Anyone try it? Like it? Also at Ulta in the little section where they sell drugstore brands I found this brand that has like $2-$4 mascara and I've bought all of them because they're SO good. It's called essence and it's shelved by like makeup revolution and that kind of stuff. They have really good/long lasting lipstick too for $1-$2.

Recent Badges

WindingArrow

Okay, I... Like make up. But I never, ever, ever use it. I work in a factory and it's a lot of sweaty, oily work and it makes doing anything a complete waste of time. Not to mention I'm a little lazy in this area but when I DO do make up, I like it. And I would like it a lot more if I could stand to put eyeliner on, but 1) I have terrible flashbacks of my cousin poking me in the effing eye with the little black sticks and 2) I get so frustrated when it doesn't go on smoothly that I normally just give up and I would like to know from you lovelies that use it more than I... What am I doing wrong???

sunshinedaisieswindmills

Are you using a pencil? I find that gels usually go on more smoothly. There's liquid too, but you have to have a pretty steady hand for that.

abhorsen.

Carrying on with this conversation because I belong in this thread. So, on the pasty note, I actually had a policy among my friends that was no flash photography because you literally can't see my eyebrows or nose at all when flash is on. When I had my gov ID made the lady took my picture and then looked at her screen and said "Oh dear, let's try that again." Finally she gave up and seriously the ID would be a perfect fake one if some kid robbed me.

I'm currently using benefit's brow pencil, but it's almost out so I think I'm going to switch to anastasia's brow dip instead. Anyone try it? Like it? Also at Ulta in the little section where they sell drugstore brands I found this brand that has like $2-$4 mascara and I've bought all of them because they're SO good. It's called essence and it's shelved by like makeup revolution and that kind of stuff. They have really good/long lasting lipstick too for $1-$2.

Oooh, so I also have had a pretty solid experience with essence! I liked the mascara I bought from them (though right now I'm using one from No7 a bit more), and I've actually been using both the blush and contour stuff I got from them almost every day recently.

I haven't tried anastasia's brow dip, but please tell me how it is, because I desperately need something for my eyebrows.

Okay, I... Like make up. But I never, ever, ever use it. I work in a factory and it's a lot of sweaty, oily work and it makes doing anything a complete waste of time. Not to mention I'm a little lazy in this area but when I DO do make up, I like it. And I would like it a lot more if I could stand to put eyeliner on, but 1) I have terrible flashbacks of my cousin poking me in the effing eye with the little black sticks and 2) I get so frustrated when it doesn't go on smoothly that I normally just give up and I would like to know from you lovelies that use it more than I... What am I doing wrong???

I sympathize - I struggle with eyeliner, too. I love it but it's the one think I really haven't managed to consistently do to my satisfaction yet. I agree with Katie - pencils are much easier. The other thing is, though, that if eyeliner really isn't your thing, you can still get a pretty finished look without it while you experiment.

I actually just went on a hiking trip and had a full face of makeup every day (don't judge :P) - it actually stayed in place pretty well, especially considering that I was putting multiple layers of sunscreen over it! For me, I've found that using a good primer and a setting spray works really, really well - it might be something to try, if that's the major hurdle?

abhorsen.

Y'all, help.

I am now out of my face wash. I'm reasonably happy with it, but does anyone have any suggestions for combination skin that they really like?

Also, does anyone have any purple eyeshadow palettes that they love?

crowsb4bros

I have combination skin that leans a bit more toward oily during the summer. I use Pacifica cactus revive milk which starts out foamy and then becomes super silky smooth. It's pretty glorious and leaves my skin feeling fresh! I use the matching moisturizer too and it's pretty decent, but a little heavy. 

Recent Badges

Deeds

I love make-up! 

I didn't start wearing make-up until I was much older though. So all of my friends were 13/15 wearing foundation and blue eyeshadows and glossy lip gloss and I just didn't have any interest in it. I started wearing make-up years later. One day I was shopping online and I saw Victoria Secret carried make-up and they had this entire kit that was on sale for like $40 bucks and I was like I MUST TRY! Something just triggered in my brain. I remember my favorite eyeshadow was this pearly blue and a sort of burgundy glitter eyeshadow. I'm horrified writing this right now by the way. I used to match my eyeshadow to my top because I seriously didn't know any better. Everyone else I knew had that awkward blue eye shadow stage when they were younger and I was...well I was still youngish...but looked slightly ridiculous. 

I swear I got tons of compliments though! 

Now I wear the basics when I feel like it but I like to go to the gym frequently so make-up is more of a nuisance than anything else but when I have a special occasion you best believe I've got loads of make-up on. I love false eyelashes, creating a smokey eye (favorite eyeshadows are Urban Decay) and I have tried many different foundations/concealers but I keep going back to Bare Minerals. I have such dry sensitive skin it's one of the very few brands that don't break me out. 

I seriously don't know what to do about my skin. Anyone have good recommendations for masks/skin care? I need them! 

In regards to eyebrows I get them threaded once a month. I used to do it every two weeks (because I'm hairy) but then I saw a picture of myself at a party and it looked like I had no eyebrows what so ever. I knew I had to let up after that because I looked crazy. 

A good primer is essential to keep your make-up on and smooth. I'd also stick with a powder instead of liquid if it's really hot. I used to find when I wore liquid foundation it would melt off of my face in the summer. I don't think eyeliner is essential. I think you can get a finished look without it but maybe apply a layer of mascara if you want a bit of a pop for an everyday look. 

I'm currently obsessed with lipstick and lip pencils. UHHH. Lining my lips just gives me this feeling of satisfaction because I have such thin lips so they look so plump with a bit of color and lined. I swear I don't spend THAT much money on make-up in a year. Maybe $200 at the most. 

I enjoy watching Youtube beauty gurus as an escape late at night too. I feel like most of the ones I watch don't do tutorials any more and if they do I don't try half of them because I have a darker complexion than a lot of them. They still entertain me though! I like Dulce Candy because we have a similar complexion, Chloe Cori (who isn't that popular but I think her editing is decent), and AdelaineMorin (so funny!). I remember watching Zoella years ago but as she got bigger and bigger I feel like she became too careful I guess. I mean they all have a brand to protect but she just didn't seem like herself anymore (not that I know what she's really like in real life anyway). 

I'm slightly embarrassed by the length of this post...but I really don't have anyone to talk to about this! :D 

• Like 1

abhorsen.

So my mother decided to seriously splurge on me for Christmas and got me two naked collections: desert sunset and mother nature. I'm so, so psyched. Words cannot describe how psyched I am. Holy shit.

Is anyone else obsessed with those eye shadows? I got one in my ipsy package a couple months ago and am genuinely in love with it - they're expensive, but if you can get them on sale I can't recommend them strongly enough!

crowsb4bros

tenor.gif?itemid=7334825

I'm so jealous! I got the darkest brown of the mother nature from ipsy/sephora play and it is SO pigmented and lovely. I really want that gold color in the desert sunset! 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

toomanycurls

I'm not great with eyeshadow. I feel like I know one trick and that's all I do with my eyes. Though, I am rather proud of the job I do with my eyes considering I always do my makeup in a moving vehicle (not while driving though!). I use mostly MAC products. I keep wanting to try a pallet but I like highly portable makeup. 

Rumpelstiltskin

:$ Is it terrible that I just smudge on my makeup with my fingers? I hate using tools. I mean, yeah, like eyeliner and mascara and lipstick kind of comes with its own built-in tool, but otherwise, I just smudge. Foundation gets rubbed on, hands get washed, eyeshadow (usually just like one color on top, a compliment on the bottom, and maybe a highlight near the tear ducts) applied with fingertips, if I'm using a gloss that requires a brush, I use my fingers for that, too. 

My daily makeup is usually just BB cream, eyeliner, sometimes eyeshadow, and mascara. On occasion, I'll wear lipstick/gloss/chapstick. I have no idea how to even begin contouring so that's not a thing. Eyebrows get brushed out, and that's about it. Plus, I buy the more pricey makeups at the pharmacy, which really aren't that pricey at all (and probably not that great in quality, but what the heck). :/ I'm hopeless. One of my besties used to swear that if I'd even try some of the "good" makeup, I'd never go back (something about buttery eyeshadow). It just makes me cringe sometimes looking at the big brand's prices and haven't found a way to justify buying them for myself. (I did say I was hopeless.)

Pixileanin

I am all for the smudging technique.  Who has time for tools?  Or space?  Or money to get cool tools...

I stopped wearing daily makeup when it made me look older than I really am.  When I feel like it, I do eyeshadow and mascara, and moisturizer.  I try not to do without moisturizer.  If it's all I smear on my face in the morning, I call it a win.  I never really got into the whole eyeliner thing.  Every time any product gets too close to my eyes, they get red and watery.  I tried to tell this to a *helpful* associate at a makeup counter who wanted to give me a makeover once.  She was convinced that her product was hypoallergenic, yadda yadda... I tried to explain that it didn't matter, that if she stuck the stuff into my eyes, they would turn red.  She went and did her thing, doing the whole eyeliner thing so close to the eye, whatever. It looked the way she wanted for about a minute, then my eyes started watering and it looked like I'd been sobbing for hours.

(Told ya so.)

Anyway.  That's my makeup story.  

beyond the rain

Idk if i'm vain but since I was seventeen I've really struggled with confidence and people seeing my face, so makeup really helps! It also mixes in with my love for history, because i get to try looks from the 20s or 60s! 

I'm not very good, and my eyebrows are too light and sparse to look good - but i enjoy doing it. My favourite part is eyeshadow - especially when I do it dramatic....which is most of the time.

I don't really do a natural look...the most natural I go is when I don't contour, or if my highlight is minimal (i love highlight...i have powder, cream, and liquid versions - it all depends on what mood im in when i use them) 

But yeah, im all about pigmented pallettes, and kylie LIP KITS!!! Sometimes I wish I could go into public more without makeup on buuuut makeup's too much fun!

Recent Badges

Finefrenzy__

Bringing this thread back. I love makeup, but unfortunately I've been so broke this year that I have missed most of the collections that have dropped. I love eyeshadow palattes, and really want to add Norvina by ABH, and Blood Sugar and Thirsty by Jeffree Star. I say always say I'll be happy with just those, then the next collection drops and I NEED that. Its a never ending cirlce.

What have been your favourite releases this year, and are you excited for any of the holiday collections coming out?

Also, I'm in desperate need of some foundation reccommendations. I currently use Urban Decays All Nighter foundation, but its so heavy and full coverage that I find myself avoiding it for daytime wear. As soon as I put it on, I have to do full glam or I look ridiculous. I also use MAC studio fix in the shade NC15. Problem is that with it coming into summer here in Australia, I have to get a whole new shade because I tan. I have pretty oily skin with dry patches, and nothing I've tried lately has made me happy.

Am I alone in this struggle? Or do some people use foundations they swear by?? If so, I would appreciate some reccommendations!!

Lastly, I love lipstick. To the point it is an unhealthy obsession and I need help. I have over 30 of Jeffree Star liquid lips alone (I swear by them, they are my holy grail of lipstick). I usually go for a nice, everday pink or a classic red. But I'm also not afraid to rock something outrageous, blues, greys or greens (love a Crocodile Tears/Dirty Money Ombre moment). I love doing makeup, especially when I can do something that tests my skill and artistry.

Does anyone else horde lipstick? What's the craziest colour you've worn/would like to try?

sibilant

This thread has been dead for a while but I NEED HELP.

I'm starting to wear more make-up (...I love finding new lipsticks, it's not good for my bank account at all omg). I tend towards drugstore make-up because I don't have money but I do like to look at really high-end brands and just imagine what could be haha. THE PROBLEM IS I can't figure out how to blend/apply eyeshadow for the life of me, or how to apply eyeliner. I end up poking myself in the eye or looking like I got punched in the eye, which is, uh, not ideal. So I'd love any tips!

I'm also starting to look into skincare; I started realizing that I've been using make-up to hide blemishes, but it's like a band-aid fix and really I should have a good skincare routine (and drink more water) to fix those things naturally, and to just generally feel better haha. So if anyone has any skincare tips, that'd be great :P 

(Also, if anyone wants to know about Desi beauty youtubers I've found so many in my desperate search for people who looked for me and understood struggles of finding things that actually look right on my skin tone! So I'm happy to share :D They're all so charming ❤️ And some of them have the cutest wedding videos too?? Okay I'm done fangirling haha).

• Like 1

grumpy cat

@sibilant for skin care, paula's choice BHA liquid exfoliant is my favourite thing ever (i use it in combination with caudalie vinosource sos serum because dry skin <.<) - both of these things are a tiny bit pricey for my budget and i mostly buy them when there's some sort of a discount going on (from what i can see online, they're not as expensive in the US). as for the eyeliner - i have a pretty steady hand but i still like to first draw it in with a pencil and then go over with the actual liquid eyeliner. there's also the felt tip pen liners some people find easier to use though those things are the things i never figured out

• Thanks 1

toomanycurls
4 hours ago, sibilant said:

I'm starting to wear more make-up (...I love finding new lipsticks, it's not good for my bank account at all omg). I tend towards drugstore make-up because I don't have money but I do like to look at really high-end brands and just imagine what could be haha. THE PROBLEM IS I can't figure out how to blend/apply eyeshadow for the life of me, or how to apply eyeliner. I end up poking myself in the eye or looking like I got punched in the eye, which is, uh, not ideal. So I'd love any tips!

I found with eye makeup that primer makes a world of difference. On days that I put makeup directly on my eyelid it's all smeared and weird after minutes. If I put primer on first it stays for days. 

Eyeliner really depends on the shape of your eye and the tools you have at hand. I like using brushes over pencils or overly pokey instrument. I've never been able to pull off really fancy shapes with eyeliner -- I just follow the lash line and put a bit of it on the water line/bottom lid. 

Alsoooooo. Keep with what you can afford. Yeah, MAC is a nice brand and I love their products but you can get the same/similar looks from drug store brand. When I started to spend on makeup it was one type of makeup at a time. I think I started with eyeliner then lipstick. Years later I get everything from MAC or equally expensive brands. 

• Thanks 1

crowsb4bros

For eyeliner I absolutely can't use a pencil or gel. I have really good luck with one specific very thin eyeliner called Absolute New York Nano Liquid Liner (~$6). I also have to go from the wing to the corner instead of corner to wing. I was originally left handed (now right) so idk if that makes a different? There's no one right way so you can try them all! :P 

I mentioned this on twitter but rose hip oil (~$10 for 4 oz of the brand I like) is the best moisturizer I use except maybe glam glow but I can't justify the price of that one. It doesn't make me greasy. 

Since we are already here, my current faves are:

primer: Catrice Prime and Fine Aqua Fresh Hydro Primer ($8) or whatever I find in my drawer

foundation: Makeup Revolution's Conceal & Define Full Coverage Foundation ($7)

• (it's super light feeling on the skin and just matte enough to dry nicely without looking undead)

concealer: Makeup Revolution's Conceal & Define concealer ($10 online only at ulta though)

• dries super fast though so blend quickly

eyeshadow: Morphe's natural glow matte ($20)

• has every shade I need but I use a lot of others too

eyeliner: Absolute New York Nano Liquid Liner (~$6)

lipstick: Tarteist Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint ($20) 

• I can eat with it and it never moves plus a little goes a loooong way
  • Thanks 1

Recent Badges

MuggleMaybe

I'm getting more interested in foundation and contouring. Does anyone have a suggestion for a drugstore-priced brand that works well? Specific products would be even better. I'd prefer to buy it in store because I'm very fair and can't really tell if a color is right based on online photos. @toomanycurls @crowsb4bros

Also, I recently bought two eyeshadow palates by Profusion Cosmetics at Target for $10 each. They add up to a total of 45 colors, and I have been having a lot of fun with them. :D I'm not an expert at all, but the quality seems reasonable to me, especially given the price. 

crowsb4bros

Realistically most people only use one shade to contour with. I'd go pick up something like Wet n Wild MegaGlo Contouring Palette from walgreens (like $3 at ulta and walgreens) and play with it! If you hate it, it's a great eye shadow shade too. 😛 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Finefrenzy__
Posted (edited)

I don't really use much drug store. Not because i dont want to, but I just don't really have access to it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but I haven't really found anything I like.

However, I do swear by colourpop and morphe eyeshadows. They are the bomb!

As for contouring, I just use bronzer normally. I have the little travel size of Hula by Benefit. It's such a nice warm shade and so versatile.

I've actually just recently stumbled across the most amazing brush cleaner though. Actually, I didn't find it. Some Queens recommended it to me 😂 And it's a steal. I was always so lazy when it came to cleaning my brushes and this has literally saved my life.

received_756919601391325.thumb.jpeg.b6515fe3eca38898177f5edf4b53ca7d.jpeg

Edited by Finefrenzy__
  • Like 1

Ashley

I love having someone else do my make up. So much fun. And I have one of my friends wax mine. It's easier that way.