Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Good luck to all the NaNoWriMo participants! Don't forget to stop by the Cafe.
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
MalfoysAngel

Music

MalfoysAngel

So it's no secret that I am a huge fan of country music. I know most people say that all country music is nothing but men singing about their truck, horse, or their ex-girlfriend and women singing about how much they love (or hate) their man. For me the music goes much deeper than that. There are some really great songs out there that have amazing stories in them and powerful messages.

"Glass" by Thompson Square

"Travelling Soldier" by The Dixie Chicks

"Anyway" by Martina McBride

"Fly" by Maddie & Tae

"Moments" by Emerson Drive

"Watching You" by Rodney Atkins

These are just a few of my favorite songs that don't fit the stereotypical image of a country song.

All music has these moments and songs that just hit you and move you when you hear them for the first time. Sometimes it moves you to turn the radio up as loud as you can and sing along.(Jar of Hearts) Other times it makes you question how it even made it to the airwaves(Gangnam Style)

What is your take on music? What are some songs that just resonate with you long after the song is over? Are there any you heard for the first time and hated it, but over the years have come to love it? Are there any you loved at first and now hate? What about songs you've hated from the start that even know years later, you still can't stand to hear (Who Let the Dogs out)

Share your thoughts, stories, and favorite songs/musical moments with all of us.

abhorsen.

I am probably the only person in the world who is not tired of Let It Go yet. :P

Other than that... IDK, I've put Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, One Direction, and Tori Amos in the same playlist, so I think I'm pretty all over the place. :P

Dojh167

I am just here to say that I also continue to enjoy Let It Go

edit: I am listening to Let It Go right now.

AbraxanUnicorn

I am probably the only person in the world who is not tired of Let It Go yet. :P

Other than that... IDK, I've put Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, One Direction, and Tori Amos in the same playlist, so I think I'm pretty all over the place. :P

Nirvana!! <3 Nevermind and In Utero are such cracking albums! Kurt died far too young :( OH has some Smashing Pumpkins, but I haven't listened to any of their music (knowingly).

I am very much stuck in the 70's/80's/90's when it comes to music, although there have been a few bands/tracks since that I've liked. My tastes are quite eclectic - one minute, I may be listening to Keane, the next to Abba, and then a bit of Depeche Mode might take my fancy :)

hedwig1751

Taylor Swift!!!  :) To be honest, I prefer her old songs to her most recent ones  :P but I think it's amazing how she writes and performs everything.

I'm a HUGE fan of Les Mis (even though I only watched it fairly recently) as well as Disney songs and musicals in general (including movie musicals...LALA LAND  :D) but yup, I think I've driven my friends and family round the bend by singing 'On My Own' too many times...

abhorsen.

Sooooo does anyone else have a spotify account? (Without your full name, obv.)

AbraxanUnicorn

I think so, somewhere, but I haven't used it for ages. I'd probably have to make a new one now as I don't remember my username, let alone the password.

Ineke

I have spotify, but only with my full name, so that's kind of useless...

Anyway - music! While I mostly listen to bands like Nightwish and Delain (with Kamelot, Serenity (but that one only when I honestly feel like it) and Within Temptation in between), my playlist also consists of various soundtracks (including various musicals, Doctor Who and Harry Potter), 90's music (and with that I mean Spice Girls, though sometimes Backstreet Boys get thrown into the mix as well) and Little Mix.

At the moment I have two ultimate favorite songs, though, and those are both by Nightwish, being 'Ghost Love Score' and 'The Greatest Show On Earth'.

Though I must say that it's very hard to kick Ghost Love Score of it's no 1. spot in my list, and has been in that place ever since I heard it... about... *checks release date of both Nightwish' Amaranth and Within Temptation's The Heart of Everything because they both hadn't been out long after I got into it* 9.5 years ago? Ish?

• Like 1

pookha

It's funny to me that as the old man here, that I probably listen to the most metal. I love thrash, like Metallica and Megadeth, and current fave is Volbeat. Avenged Sevenfold is another fave. I don't like death metal or black metal, though; Mastodon and Slipknot are about the extreme for me.

I also like symphonic metal like Kamelot and Nightwish, although I don't like Kamelot without Khan.

I also enjoy good musicals and Celtic music like Capercaillie and the Chieftains.

Going to get in the mosh pit in August and see Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold.

• Like 1

hedwig1751

Sooooo does anyone else have a spotify account? (Without your full name, obv.)

Yup, definitely  :)

ImaRavenclaw

Ooooh I'm glad I found this thread! I personally don't like most of the music that plays on typical radio stations (y'know, the ones you don't have to buy), but I can almost always find something good to listen to on Sirius XM (for those of you who don't know what that is here's a brief explanation -

it's a big radio station that has a bunch of different stations within it, that is for sure available in Canada and the U.S.A.

, but I'm not sure if it's anywhere else. Anyways the music that plays on each channel is only dependent on what kind of music the channel plays [sometimes it's more large scale like "90s on 9" and sometimes it's pretty small variety like "Lithium" that plays 90s grunge and alternative ONLY.

)

Anyways when I'm not in the car I'll listen to music on my computer (I have a lot of music on there).

My favourite genres are Indie-Rock, alternative, and rock. I like a lot of stuff from the 20th century, and basically anything that's not super popular (though occasionally I can't help falling in love with something that's in the Top 40).

I can't stand heavy metal (though sometimes I do like music that's borderline heavy metal) or country music at all.

Some favourites/songs that stick with me are below:

Shut Up I Am Dreaming Of Places Where Lovers Have Wings by Sunset Rubdown

Little Wanderer by Death Cab For Cutie

A Minor Incident by Badly Drawn Boy

Your Woman by White Town

Teach Me by Keaton Henson

Come As You Are by Nirvana

Anything by David Bowie (particularly - Space Oddity, Starman, I'm Afraid of Americans, Kooks, Fashion, and Rebel Rebel).

Because I Love You by The Masters Apprentices

Tom's Dinner 7" A by Suzanne Vega & DNA

Small Hands by Keaton Henson

All Our Endless Love (feat. Matt Berninger) by The Bird and the Bee

Love Is All Around by The Troggs

Anything by The Beatles

You're A Wolf by Sea Wolf

I'm going to stop now before things get out of hand, haha.

Professor McGonagall

60's, 70's, a little 80's rock and pop. Mostly stuff like David Bowie and Elton John. I also enjoy the Beatles, Bee Gees, and just about every staple song of Vietnam War movies. I'm getting tired of listening to Creedence Clearwater. I never liked Lynyrd Skynyrd and I only have a passing fancy for Guns and Roses.

I also have a fair few more contemporary stuff. I have a little bit of everything: a few Bastille songs, the only Mumford and Sons song I like (Little Lion Man), and a few Adele songs that I need to sweep under the rug. My sister is much more in tune with that scene than I am.

I also like classic country, like Willie, Johnny, and Patsy Cline. I listen to "The Gambler", not because it's a good song but because it reminds me of 8th grade where that's what we'd sing non-stop, along with "Cherry Pie" by Warrant and "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler.

So yeah. Mostly classic rock and pop. That's my corner of the music realm.

BlackPixie

oh geez how did i not discover this thread earlier? as a young one here i loooooooove music, but old stuff too not just new songs, some of which can be really s**t tbh.

Taylor Swift!!!  :) To be honest, I prefer her old songs to her most recent ones  :P

YO. We're definitely on the same wavelength. I'm just not a fan of any of the songs on 1989. Give me Speak Now anyday! Speak Now has gotta be my fave tbh, tho I haven't really been as into-into her as I was before I got my laptop and discovered the benefits of youtube access 24/7.

Lately I've been really into HAMILTON (dont get me started on that bc it is pure perfection), Divide courtesy of my hot english babe ed sheeran, Alessia Cara, Maggie Lindemann's song 'Pretty Girl' and a bit of Olivia Holt or Sabrina Carpenter as well. Carrie Underwood is one of my fallback artists as well. Hey Violet and 5SOS ofc too.

But I LOVE me some oldies too. Avril Lavigne, Brayan Adams, Bon Jovi, Harry Chapin (i played Cat's in the Cradle to my now ex-bf and he cried), Cyndi Lauper, Bonnie Tyler (before she ruined herself) Celine Dion are some of the classic artists that i love.

@branwen - my spotify is magentarobes. dont use it too often tho. its mainly there for my hamilton and a playlist that ineke created with the HP soundtracks from all the movies.

i should probably go now before my heart explodes with happiness from finding this thread <3 :P

StarFeather

As Carl says, I also like good Celtic music and am interested in Nordic music. Young people in my country visit Celtic and Nordic country to learn music and even in the classic music field, they have traditional music concerts and there are eager fans.

Speaking of country music,  (including oldtime, bluegrass music) their influence is huge in my country's folk music scene as well as Bob Dylan or Joan Baez.

Recently I often listen to Ed Sheeran as well as RADWIMPS, spitz and Ikimonogakari.

MuggleMaybe

I love listening to covers on youtube - it's so fun to hear how people put their own spin on a song. And especially: MASHUPS! So cool to listen to! I just discovered

(M bcs YouTube) of Sia/The Chainsmokers/Ed Sheeran that is my new favorite *swoons*

Anyone else like mashups or have recommendations? It can be hard to find good ones!

Ineke

If you want mashups I point you to Glee. Glee has done a lot of mashups, one more obvious than the other, and there are so many good ones. Thriller/Heads Will Roll, I Feel Pretty/Unpretty, Rumour Has It/Someone Like You, and Anything Goes/Anything You Can Do being a few of my faves!

• Like 1

MegGonagall

Music is probably the largest part of my life. My father taught himself to play guitar, and honestly he was a prodigy. I've been told my multiple people that he was playing along to Led Zeppelin II by the time he was 10 years old. And considering that Jimmy Page is probably one of the best guitar players who ever lived, that's impressive. But my father has been in and out of bands since long before I was born, so I was always around music and other musicians. And even if some of my parents' friends weren't musicians, they had something to do with music -- lighting, sound, stuff like that. I tried playing bass when I was young, but didn't like it, so I had my father teach me a little guitar. I was alright, but I didn't stick with it. I wish I had. I can play Stairway to Heaven though. 😂

My music taste is all over. I'll listen to everything except country (sorry, Tasha!) Like Branwen, I have mixes that will go from Led Zeppelin, Eminem, Smashing Pumpkins, Muse, Radiohead, Spice Girls, N*Sync, Ludacris, Beastie Boys, The Doors, random poppy 90's one hit wonders... you get the idea.

I pretty much listen to mostly 90's alternative and 70's classic rock. I also have a soft spot for early 00's Emo music. I had the side bangs in my jet black hair, and my thick, thick, thick black eyeliner lol. *sigh* I was so tragically misunderstood. ;) When I was in late elementary school/early middle school I was HUGE into The Smashing Pumpkins. Then I discovered Dave Matthews Band when I was about 14, and they've been my favorite ever since. I've seen them roughly 10 times since 2003. There is legit NOTHING like a Dave Matthews Band concert. It's... I can't even think of words. It's indescribable. But for like the last two weeks straight, I've been listening to Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness literally every day. I'm on a SP kick again for whatever reason. I think it's mostly nostalgia. Most of that album brings back a lot of fun memories from my teens. Same with Bleed American by Jimmy Eat World. I've been listening to that a lot lately, too.

Songs that really get to me on a personal level are:

Grey Street by Dave Matthews Band

Mayonaise by Smashing Pumpkins

#41 by Dave Matthews Band

The Rain Song by Led Zeppelin

Rocket Ship by Guster

Sullen Girl by Fiona Apple

Colorblind by The Counting Crows

Smile Like You Mean It by The Killers

Nowhere Fast by Incubus

Where Is My Mind? by Pixies

I could probably go on and on, but they're the songs I always related to the most, or make me feel the most.  I actually have a mix that is all of those songs. Especially Grey Street. I always felt like that was written for me.

I wouldn't be able to function without music though. I cook to it, read to it, write to it, drive to it, do nothing to it. I almost always have music on. It's my number one love.

lovegood27
Anyone else like mashups or have recommendations? It can be hard to find good ones!

Ooh, there's a really good mashup of lot of 2014 songs which I quite like. You can find it

Apart from that, I tend to listen to a lot of Taylor Swift, Sia and Christina Perri, with some occasional Beyoncé :D

TidalDragon

While my view of the eclipse was sadly clouded over completely (the only area for a hundred miles around to have any cloud-cover :|), I did not miss this beautiful 2017 Eclipse Artifact...

MLB Teams "Sing" Total Eclipse of the Heart

Who doesn't love them some of that song? #turnaroundbrighteyes

poppunkpadfoot

music is absolutely one of the biggest parts of my life, i listen to music at literally every possible moment (i still have my ipod classic ahaha) and love to make music as well. my mom is a musician (she has a cd that she put out a few years before i was born) and my dad also loves music and plays bass so it's absolutely something i was raised around. music has helped me through some really hard times, to such an extent that i don't know if i'd still be here without my favourite bands.

i mostly listen to emo music that was cool with middle schoolers in 2007 tbh, but i'm unashamed of that fact :P i also like adjacent stuff/music that has come out of that scene more recently/music that grew out of that scene. and while that sort of emo/alternative/pop-punk stuff is definitely the majority of what i listen to, i'm willing to give pretty much any genre a shot and there's a fairly wide range of genres represented in my itunes library

a list of favourite artists under a spoiler tag cause it's long :P in no particular order

Spoiler

my chemical romance (my favourite band of all time tbqh)

pvris

paramore

the academy is... (and william beckett's solo stuff)

cobra starship

gym class heroes (and travie mccoy's solo stuff)

against me!

candy hearts/best ex

mayday parade

green day

rihanna

marianas trench

abba

grimes

bruno mars

queen

dnce

fun.

kanye west

joni mitchell

we are the in crowd

greisful

Honestly I don't go not one day without listening to at least a couple of hours worth of music. For a really long time I didn't really know how what type of music I liked best because I generally like everything if it's got a good beat to it, I can't listen to most slow songs unless I'm feeling sorry for myself but I've recently discovered that I really enjoy 80s funk, edm/house/trap/reggae elements put together in a song, tropical sounding beats etc. And on top of that I'm a very big kpop fan, like I used to not be but once I discovered it, it basically took over my life and now I listen to like nothing else.

I know when people hear kpop they immediately jump to PSY and Gangnam Style, and while I admit that there is some kpop out there that's a little on the wild side (Orange Caramel - Catallena) most of it is actually pretty westernized in terms of sound while still having that lil something that makes it kpop (like besides the obvious fact that it's in Korean) and you like don't have to look very hard to find something that you would hear in America if it was in English.

I've currently been obsessed with this one song lately because I heard it in a kdrama and it made me a crying mess called Hero by Family of the Year.

But here is a list of some kpop songs if anyone is interested that I immediately liked upon hearing and which are not as wild as any of PSY's stuff (song-artist)

Spoiler

Eraser - Taeyeon

All Night- SNSD

Holiday - SNSD

Sweet Talk - SNSD

Round and Round -Heize, Han Suji,

Playing With Fire - Blackpink

Hey Mama! - Exo

Kokobop - Exo

What U Do - Exo

The Eve - Exo

Monster - Exo

Lucky One - Exo

Heaven - Exo

Machine - Exo

Heart Attack - Exo

Tell Me What Is Love - D.O

The 7th Sense - NCT U

Body Talk - Red Velvet

Thirsty - Girl's Day

I'll Be Yours - Girl's Day

Bad Love - Seohyun

Blood, Sweat, and Tears - BTS

Boy Meets Evil - BTS

Spinebreaker - BTS

Lie - BTS/Jimin

Mama - BTS/Jhope

Don't Recall - KARD

Rumour - KARD

Mr.Mr - SNSD

Free Somebody- Luna

Keep On Doin' - Luna

I Wish - Luna

Wave - Amber, Luna, R3hab

I Just Wanna Dance - Tiffany

Talk - Tiffany

Diamond - f(x)

puzzle - C Jamm, BewhY

Mad City _ NCT 127

Pour Up - Dean

It's a really long list and I had to stop because there's like 300 songs on my kpop playlist on spotify but yeah it's really good stuff give it a shot. Also if you really wanna be blown away by some awesome vocals check out Sohyang - Arirang Alone you'll be absolutely blown away.

• Like 1

Margaret

The songs I like are unlikely to be familiar to most people here, as they are all Irish and many speak of events or issues that are pretty specific to Ireland.

My absolute favourite song is "The Town I Loved So Well," by Phil Coulter, which is about Derry during the Troubles. It begins as a man thinking back on the town he grew up in, where he played ball, laughed, got his first job and met his wife. It sounds like any Irish emigration song, of which we have many, but then talks about when he returned to the town and found it basically destroyed by terrorism and war. Yes, Irish songs tend to be sad. 

Two songs I came across recently that I liked are "Death of the Bear" and "Irish Citizen Army," - an interesting contrast now that I think of it. The first is an exception to the rule of being about specifically Irish realities as it is about the fall of the Soviet Union and basically accuses the Communist leadership of the Soviet Union of selling out the people who supported them out of a belief in equality. "Irish Citizen Army,"  on the other hand, commemorates the involvement of the Irish Citizen's Army, a force of trade unionists, in the 1916 Rising and speaks of economic inequality.

I actually didn't like "Irish Citizen Army" that much when I first heard it, but after playing it a second or third time, it began to grow on me.

I couldn't possibly list all the songs I like. There are dozens, if not hundreds. I will mention one more, just for the sake of contrast. "Miracle at Knock" is about the building of Knock Airport. Knock is an Irish place of pilgrimage, something like Lourdes or Fatima, though less well know and a priest basically decided it needed an airport and held a raffle to raise the funds. The song is amusing, as is the event, but the fact remains that the airport exists and planes fly in and out of it.

• Like 1

Stella Blue

Music is so important.  it's been a staple of my life since I was a little kid. I play four instruments (...not at the same time), and I generally listen to music on whenever I'm doing anything that doesn't require my full attention. My tastes in music are literally all over the board, everything from Beethoven to Kendrick Lamar. I will listen to just about anything, but I tend to gravitate towards jam bands, folk/bluegrass, artsy music, and classic rock.

Here's a list of some of my favorite music artists, in no particular order. I put it in a spoiler tag in case it's not interesting to anyone but myself. :P

Spoiler

Railroad Earth

The Grateful Dead

Talking Heads

David Bowie

Brandi Carlile

Yes

String Cheese Incident

Rodrigo y Gabriela

Led Zeppelin

Gillian Welch

Queen

Tegan and Sara

Beyonce

The War On Drugs

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:54 AM, Margaret said:

The songs I like are unlikely to be familiar to most people here, as they are all Irish and many speak of events or issues that are pretty specific to Ireland.

My absolute favourite song is "The Town I Loved So Well," by Phil Coulter,

Ah! I love this song! I have a CD of Irish folk songs and it's far and away the best song on there, it's so powerful and evocative. Even though I am not from Ireland and only know the basics about the history the song is referencing, it's still so emotional, even to an outsider like me. I can only imagine how powerful the song would be to someone who really knows the place and the events mentioned.

just.a.willow.tree
On 9/17/2017 at 6:54 AM, Margaret said:

My absolute favourite song is "The Town I Loved So Well," by Phil Coulter

I listened to this at the glowing recommendations from you and Kristin, and even though the history isn't as personal to me as it is to you, I really loved it.

My music taste is honestly really random. The majority of the music that I know is classical music, since it's what I'll be playing for hopefully the rest of my life. There are a lot of things I love about classical music, but one of my favorites is how the lives of the composers basically read as extremely dramatic soap operas. :P It's like all of them lived a life straight from a drama, or something. Knowing their life stories just makes their music all the more fun to listen to.

I'm also a huge fan of Enya. I'm not sure if anyone else here obsesses over her songs as much as I do. (If you do, please let me know. :P) I spent my childhood listening to her music, so every time I hear one of her songs today, it just feels so comforting. I also really like the group Celtic Woman, but mostly only the songs they sing in Gaelic. (The style suits their voices better, I think.) I'm currently very much in love with their version of "Siúil a Rún."

Also, k-pop. I generally like all groups, especially my girl groups (<3), but mostly TWICE, because their music just brings me so much genuine happiness.

Maybe I should just put this whole post in spoiler tags, because this went all over the place lol.

Edited by just.a.willow.tree

beyond the rain

music is everything!! Honestly when I was a kid I used to love 60s and 80s music, everyone always says the first album they bought is one of an artist from their childhood....NOT ME. At eight I bought an album called "Leaders of the Pack: The Very Best of the 60s Girls" - it has The Shangri-Las, Aretha Franklin, Petula Clark and loads more that I grew up with. I still have it today, though it skips the last 3 songs....it's old and scratched, but I'm sentimental! My favourites were/are Walking Back To Happiness, Shout, Downtown, Bobbi's Girl, and My Boy Lollipop - my sister hates when I play it in the car. 

Right now I'm really loving Janis Joplin, her lyrics are so passionate- and when she talks in them too, she really shows the power of words. I write best to her, and to Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks, Carole King, and a lot of 60s/70s music. My favourite artist ofc is Judy Garland, but I get too distracted :P Jazz also helps me write angst or heartbreak - especially Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, Sammy Davis Jr are a few that I really love. 

I like musical theatre soundtracks too (like Dreamgirls, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Cabaret, Gypsy, and Flora the Red Menace are my faves) but they're just more for me - and not for inspiration...unless there's a character I'm working on that likes MT or is similar to one of the characters. 

Recent Badges