Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Good luck to all the NaNoWriMo participants! Don't forget to stop by the Cafe.
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
Sign in to follow this  
victoria_anne

How to Train Your Dragon

victoria_anne

giphy.gif

I thought it was about time I created this!

So as it stands, the series is made up of twelve books, two movies (the third is released 2019!) two TV shows, three short films, and countless comics/graphic novels.

The Books

The book series was written by Cressida Cowell, and they aren't very well known, but I recommend them because they are so amazing. They're very different from what DreamWorks created (for instance, Toothless is tiny, green, and talks to Hiccup!) Cressida Cowell is one of my favourite authors, and I can't praise her enough (she even replied to an email I sent her after I finished reading the books!) She illustrated the books herself, and as the series goes along and becomes deeper and darker, so do her drawings.

Everything Else

What I love most about HTTYD is Hiccup's character, his relationship with Toothless, and the music! The TV series explores the relationships between the other riders and their dragons, and it's just hilarious. Snotlout and Hookfang are definitely my favourite! The show also bridges the gap between the first and second movies, and even begins to introduce the people who work for Drago, how Hiccup develops his flight suit and fire sword (Inferno!) and Hiccup/Astrid. The graphic novels (only 1 out at the moment) takes place after the second movie.

Please come and talk dragons with me!

giphy.gif

Vilja

Hi Bianca,

I already said do replying to your Introduction thread that we share a love for How to Train Your Dragon :) I'm not as much an expert as you are - I've only seen the films, but I might get to reading the books now that you recommend it

To start this thread off I though I'd share the header of a scientific poster I presented at conference a few years ago :D

htd.jpg

I've never done a Harry Potter themed poster... does that mean something? ;)

victoria_anne

Yay, Vilja! Welcome to Berk! (or the Edge, if you get around to watching the TV series ;)) and thank you for calling me an expert instead of a nerd! :P

It would make me so happy for you to read the books! There's SO many characters in there that aren't in the film version, or have been altered, and I'd love to talk about them with someone else!

And that poster is awesome! I remember you telling me about this now :D

Dojh167

So I came here to bite and ask Bianca exactly what she loved about How to Train Your Dragon so much, and I learned a lot just from that first post!

I had no idea that there was a book series or any of the other material - that's really interesting. Are the plots and characters of the books and movies very similar, or quite different?

I've seen the first film (way later than I meant to), and thought it was super fun. I saw that the second film was on netflix a while back, but that was before I had seen the first (how rude for them to put up the sequel but not the original), and didn't want to watch it because I don't want to see them out of order, and I am normally wary of sequels in general. How do you think the second one compares?

victoria_anne

And yet I could still go on and on and on...

Nope - the books and movies are very different! I won't list every single difference (and I've already mentioned Toothless) but I suppose the main differences are:

- In the movies, dragons and Vikings are at war before Hiccup achieves peace between them. In the books, dragons and Vikings live peacefully together until Hiccup (accidentally) creates a war between them.

- Hiccup doesn't become chief of Berk in the books. He becomes the King of the Wilderwest.

- There are two main antagonists in the books: Alvin the Treacherous (who has a claim to the throne like Hiccup) and a dragon named Furious (who creates a dragon rebellion to free dragons from slavery.)

- Hiccup becomes a slave and is branded with the Slavemark on his forehead (a dragon shaped like an S) but when the rebellion starts, this becomes becomes the Dragonmark, and all those who fight against Alvin wear it on their foreheads.

tVgjbd1.png

Hiccup stays pretty much true to character (but he doesn't lose his leg) and Snotlout is pretty similar. Fishlegs is very different, Astrid doesn't exist (but there is a character similar to her called Camicazi) and Tuffnut is mentioned briefly.

That is incredibly rude of Netflix to not have the first one (also odd because it's the opposite in Australia, and Britain too, I think.) You don't have to watch the first one to enjoy the second (it's set 5 years later) but the first is definitely worth the wait if you can get your hot little hands on it.

I honestly can't tell you which movie is my favourite. They're both beautiful in their own way. Although, the first movie has a better story, the second one introduced a lot of new characters in a short amount of time. But they're both amazing!

Have I rambled on enough yet? :P

danicasyer

Okay, I will say that I love this movie to pieces and I may not be a huge fan of it to know the 411 and would have to watch the movie more and more but I do actually love it especially the second one. Oh, and also can't go without mentioning tha I have so much appreciation for Dreamworks for putting their best effort in this and Rise of The Guardians and I wish they did more stuff like How To Train Your Dragon because the way they did the movie was brilliantly executed in my opinion, if we're not looking in a book-to-movie comparison way too! I have a few friends who introduced me to the movie because they always had Hiccup and Toothless icons or always posting them in social media so yeah.  That said, I was drawn to the film because of the way the animation for the most part, and Dreamworks, again, did such an amazing job with it in that sense! I'm not a huge animation student or anything like that though so I can't point out the flaws as much unless it evident in terms of animation though! xD

I also got to see the second movie with my dad who dislikes animated movies too and some friends who also enjoyed it and I know they aren't huge fans although the latter is understandable since they have children and even then, their mom was able to appreciate the film and was complimenting it. I also felt that the second film really just made me appreciate how much depth it got, the scenes were breathtaking, and I really loved alot of the storyline too. And Hiccup, gosh, I just loved his growth too so there's that and his character design and I don't know, just so many things, the animation though. =w=

Oh, and since we're on the topic of the movies, have you ever seen the animated shows based off the movies? xD

Oh, and not going to forget to comment since you answered Sam's question but there's so much differences in the books and the movies but wow, I didn't know Astrid didn't exist in the books either! Also Camicazi, that's an interesting name too and Hiccup starts a war, huh, that's interesting--don't spoil, I want to read how that comes about once I find my book or books, don't recall if I only have one or two books but sure I only have book! xD

victoria_anne

I completely agree with you, Anni - the animation is SO amazing! Especially in the second movie, and I can't wait to see how much better it gets in the third! I think you can't help but be awed when you watch the visual effects.

I have seen the TV shows! I mentioned them briefly in my original post, but there's Riders of Berk and then Defenders of Berk, set around a few weeks after the first movie. Race to Edge (which is on Netflix) is set three years after that, making it a year or two before the second movie. The animation isn't as great as the movies, but it gets better as it goes along. It's really not bad for what it is, you stop noticing after a while ;)

I won't spoil anything! But I'm very excited for you to read them! They're told so wonderfully - every tiny thing was thought out and comes back by the end, a bit like the Horcruxes in Harry Potter. I can't wait to hear what you think of Camicazi - I think she's pretty amazing :D

nott theodore

I promised Bianca a while ago that I would come and post in here (after she made me read the first book in the series. Hufflepuffs can be scary :P) so here I am!

I have to admit that I've only read the first book so far, but I really enjoyed it and it took me no time at all to read. At some point I'll get round to reading the other 11 in the series but I'll have to watch the film first  (only the first is on netflix here) because it looks so good and the animation  (as I've heard) is amazing.

I love Hiccup <3 I think one of the things that makes his character so endearing is the way that he's kind of an outsider, and he's got this great destiny before him and people expect him to be able to be a certain way and he struggles with that. Haven't we all been there at some point? And I love that Hiccup starts to find his own way to do things and proves that there is no "right way" to get somewhere.

(Although I have it on good authority that B saw him first so I'm staying a safe distance away.)

Toothless is so awesome, too! It makes me laugh that he's so stubborn and does what he wants rather than what he's supposed to do, and that Hiccup has such a difficult time trying to train him. I'm really looking forward to reading the other books and watching the film to see that relationship.

It's a very easy read but I can't underestimate how good the writing is in these books, because the humour and everything is great and I loved the names of all the characters :D I might have laughed to myself a few times reading it on the plane...

victoria_anne

Fear the fangirling badger.

I love what you said about Hiccup, and it's so true. I love that he doesn't give in to pressure. Like, he'll do what's expected of him up to a certain point, and then he'll always do the right thing in the end.

(Until we get to book 8, but we don't talk about that.)

Toothless is so great. How adorable was his stutter, too? He's so naughty, but I promise he learns a few manners (with the help of his star chart :P)

It's the character names that make you giggle, isn't it?  ;D

I know you've seen the movie now too so I'm glad you enjoyed that! :D

just.a.willow.tree

I WAS OBSESSED WITH HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON FOR THE LONGEST TIME.

(I've only watched the movies, though.)

I swear, I'm not even exaggerating, we would keep a copy of the first film in our car, and whenever we went on long car trips, that's what we would watch. Every single time. It's a miracle I haven't grown sick of it tbh, but I think that's a testament to how good it is. :P I've been in love with the music for forever, haha. I even learned how to play the opening theme on the piano, I was so in love with the music. (John Powell created a masterpiece for the first film.)

My two most favorite characters are probably Astrid and Valka. It's honestly probably my main complaint with the second movie, that there wasn't enough Astrid, and towards the end, there wasn't enough Valka either. These two women are so kickass, and Dreamworks doesn't take advantage of that? Smh.

I think my favorite scene in How to Train Your Dragon has to be when Hiccup feeds Toothless for the first time, and there's no dialogue, and we only hear the music, and Toothless tries to draw a picture in the ground. :P It's just such a gorgeous film. Dreamworks will never reach the standard they set with HTTYD again.

For some reason, I associate HTTYD with the holidays, so I was super stoked to find this thread in here around this time haha.

• Like 1

victoria_anne

So, now that season 6 has aired, Race to the Edge is finished! I'm so sad that it's come to an end but the final season was amazing and full of so many good things!!!

giphy.gif

So much tied into the second movie too, which was really satisfying. I won't talk about much more because spoilers, but if you've seen it, feel free to jump in and discuss! :D 

I'll just be here, waiting patiently...

tumblr_p4azgmZ4Pb1rgx1dyo2_500.gif

victoria_anne

WE HAVE A TRAILER! If you haven't yet watched the trailer for The Hidden World, you better get on that. It's here (M because YouTube is a black hole.)

I'm already completely in love with the Light Fury. She's an aquatic sub-species of Night Fury, and not the last of her kind. I think she's so sweet and precious and can't wait to watch her story! What got me most excited were the words Hiccup says in the beginning: "There were dragons when I was a boy." This sentence is the first line of the first book and the last line of the last book. I actually have them custom printed in foil and framed on my wall, so you can imagine my excitement when they made it to the trailer :P The movie is supposedly going to explain why dragons don't exist anymore (which follows the books) but I personally don't think we'll see Hiccup say goodbye to Toothless. I like to think those buds are going to be friends until the end.

Are you excited to see the movie in March? Got any predictions? :) 

• Like 2

just.a.willow.tree
5 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

What got me most excited were the words Hiccup says in the beginning: "There were dragons when I was a boy." This sentence is the first line of the first book and the last line of the last book. I actually have them custom printed in foil and framed on my wall, so you can imagine my excitement when they made it to the trailer :P

I didn't know that! This line hit me right in the feels nonetheless, though, because I'm trying to imagine a world without dragons :sad: I am so excited to see the movie. I expect to cry all throughout (literally Hiccup and Toothless's friendship + the soundtrack has made me cry in every. single. movie) but especially at the end. I haven't read the books, so I'm not privy to secret information that Bianca knows, and so I'm really, really curious to see why there would be no more dragons.

Like the trailer presented a single villain who threatened to destroy everything, but I'm wondering if the cause of the loss of dragons is something bigger? I DON'T KNOW. BUT I'M SO EXCITED.

• Like 1

victoria_anne

Right?! What a horrible thing for them to open a trailer with xD It's going to make us cry 100% Even Dean DeBlois said he's a little bit disappointed every time someone says they didn't cry during any of the HTTYD films. Hehe I wouldn't call it secret information :P I'm not sure what else they're taking from the books. Although I noticed at one point Hiccup says "I will never give him up" and that's actually in one of the books too, but not the main 12, it's one of the little spin offs and is told in Toothless' POV.  

I don't think Grimmel is working alone. It's been confirmed that Drago is returning so my guess is they're working together? They've made it sound like Berk is going to disappear too!

just.a.willow.tree
20 minutes ago, victoria_anne said:

Right?! What a horrible thing for them to open a trailer with xD It's going to make us cry 100% Even Dean DeBlois said he's a little bit disappointed every time someone says they didn't cry during any of the HTTYD films. Hehe I wouldn't call it secret information :P I'm not sure what else they're taking from the books. Although I noticed at one point Hiccup says "I will never give him up" and that's actually in one of the books too, but not the main 12, it's one of the little spin offs and is told in Toothless' POV.  

I don't think Grimmel is working alone. It's been confirmed that Drago is returning so my guess is they're working together? They've made it sound like Berk is going to disappear too!

Hmm, I'm really curious to see what they're going to do with the story then! Because, right, they've appeared to stray quite far from the books already. :P I do hope they take risks with the ending, I think it'll make for a really exciting story! (Also omg do you have all the books memorized :P)

Oh I loved Drago as a villain so I'm super stoked for that! One thing I'm curious about is how the subplot of the Light Fury (was this species in the books?) will fit into the main story. Will they be super interwoven together, or will it be like just a secondary story?

ALSO there was that one shot of lightning coursing through Toothless' body and I just :excited: am so so unbelievably hyped for that. I'm expecting epic battle scenes!

victoria_anne
14 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

(Also omg do you have all the books memorized :P)

Umm... almost :P (god I wish I was cool :help:) mostly just my favourite lines hehe. I have a note book at home where I write my favourite quotes from books I’m reading, so I automatically memorise them :P 

The Light Fury wasn’t in the books. And I’m totally excited for Drago’s return too! They’ll definitely be woven together. 

Yaaas! Well he is the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself, of course ;) but what about him falling and Hiccup telling the Light Fury to save him?! I just... ugh I’m so excited! :P :wub:

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree
15 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

Umm... almost :P (god I wish I was cool :help:) mostly just my favourite lines hehe. I have a note book at home where I write my favourite quotes from books I’m reading, so I automatically memorise them :P 

Pfft HTTYD is totally cool, what're you talking about :P There's a reason why it's one of Dreamworks' most popular franchises ;D

I'm actually having so many feels right now omg and the movie's coming out all the way next year which is too long for my impatient soul ;~;

• Like 1

StarFeather

Finally our summer vacation came and we watched "How to Train Your Dragon" and " HtTYD 2" for the first time. It was amazing and the second one was so moving!

I need to catch up with the books and the others. I understood why my child's best mate loved this so much. My son was also very impressed. 

FantasyNovelbannerhero.png.2c757a67cb5d05e719a4721c800054af.png

• Like 2

victoria_anne

Kenny!!! That is so amazing, I'm glad you enjoyed them so much! I love the graphic, too! :wub:

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this