News Ticker

(Original) Songwriting

WriteYourHeartOut

I quite enjoy writing songs, but am always looking to improve! This topic is for sharing tips, snippets of songs you're working on/looking for feedback on, or anything else you may need it for in relation to songwriting!

^.^

Guest Tanda

This is a good topic. I have to write about nature like Canada or a desert. I composed the first tune and my friend did the other.

What image do you have when you think of Canada or desert?

• 11 months later...

Hello, loves.

So. I haven't written a complete song in a very long time... But after a long week, I was hit by some inspiration and wrote this whole thing on a whim today. However, I'm feeling quite rusty in regards to my writing in any and all formats, so I would love a little feedback, if anyone cares to comb through it.

VERSE ONE:

There's something 'bout it all

The chase, the burn, the fall

With rose-colored glasses

I missed all the flags that

Waved red in the back of my skull

There's something 'bout a kiss

The warmth, the quiet bliss

With eyes closed so tightly

The blush that I might see

Was all in my head's fond abyss

PRE-CHORUS:

My love's not blind

It's scarlet and wine

CHORUS:

I'll hang up

My glasses, my hope, and my optimism

La vie en rose

A blindness of sorts, I suppose

VERSE TWO:

There's something 'bout a  plea

That breaks my heart to see

I knew they were lies

But still I was surprised

Did it fix you to try breaking me?

CHORUS:

I'll hang up

La vie en rose

PRE-CHORUS / BRIDGE:

My love's not blind

It's scarlet and wine

My love's not blind

It's scarlet and

Scarlet and

Scarlet and wine

CHORUS:

I'll hang up

La vie en rose

(Repeat 2x)

OUTRO:

I've lived, learned, and understood

Time to hang up my glasses for good

So... Thoughts? o.O

Also, any help with the title? I have a few in mind, but can't decide. What do you think:

1. Scarlet and Wine

2. Rose-Colored Glasses

3. Life in Pink*

4. Red Flags

*Life in Pink is the literal translation of La Vie en Rose.

Right now I'm leaning towards Scarlet and Wine, but feel free to tell me if/why you prefer another, or if you have alternative suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

^.^

Guest Tanda

Hi, Tanya. It's great you wrote a new song. :D

I like 'Scarlet and Wine' the best. The sound of the words and the vivid image are cool.

Hi, Tanya. It's great you wrote a new song. :D

I like 'Scarlet and Wine' the best. The sound of the words and the vivid image are cool.

Thank you, Kenny! <3 I think I'll go with that title, then. It was already my favorite, and it's nice to hear it confirmed as a good choice. ^.^

(Also, I've decided to edit the lyric "Was all in my head's fond abyss" from Verse One to "Was all in my mind's fond abyss".)

Tanya, when you write, do you write the music as well or just the lyrics?

Tanya, when you write, do you write the music as well or just the lyrics?

It depends, actually. Sometimes the music comes first, sometimes the lyrics, and sometimes they come together! In this case, I did have a tune in mind at the same time I was writing the lyrics. The biggest issue I'm having right now is wondering if the tune sounds like another song I've heard or if it's actually something I came up with... haha That is the hardest part of songwriting: not knowing if the tune you came up with is actually not a tune you came up with! LOL It's hard to know if the song sounds familiar because you made it up and have been going over it a lot in your head, or because you've actually heard a song with the same melody before but can't place it! :')

ohhhh see I do fine with writing lyrics but as I don't play an instrument, I lack the ability to actually compose the melody. I can totally see where coming up with an original melody would be a challenge.

Guest Tanda
Sometimes the music comes first, sometimes the lyrics, and sometimes they come together! In this case, I did have a tune in mind at the same time I was writing the lyrics.

I think I can understand those struggles. In the past, I did think lyrics both in my own language and in English for the tune I made in the past. It was hard but very fun!

I have homework now. My music friend asked me to translate his lyrics to  Japanese. It'll be hard to think of the words which fit the melody.

I've decided to edit the lyric "Was all in my head's fond abyss" from Verse One to "Was all in my mind's fond abyss".
Everytime I write "in my head", I wonder if I should write "in my mind", because not a few web dictionaries or the other resources say it should be "in one's mind".